Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is the thread where we talk about new bands.

Default This is the thread where we talk about new bands.

It's been a while since I heard about any exciting new bands so I thought I'd share a few of my recent favourites on here and hopefully you guys will do the same.

Okay, first up is The Pistolas, who I saw supporting Tokyo Police Club last week, and they were awesome. If The Rapture were from Scotland and played more guitars, they would sound like this:

1. The Pistolas

Second is a band called The Winchell Riots, from Oxford. They formed following the split of another great band, Fell City Girl (try to find the song "Weaker Light" by Fell City Girl if you can. It's worth it.) They sound a bit like Radiohead:

2. The Winchell Riots

Third up is a band called Fanfarlo. They're a bit like The Guillemots mixed with The Arcade Fire, and can already count David Bowie amongst their fans:

3. Fanfarlo

Fourth is a band called The Lea Shores, who are already getting pretty big over here and playing all the summer festivals
    . Psychedelic post rock, and Andy Bell from Oasis is a big fan of theirs:

4. The Lea Shores

And fifth is a band called Touriste. They sound like Coldplay with balls, and I like them a lot:

5. Touriste

(Also, I just noticed that they've taken my favourite song of theirs off their myspace, but it's still on their website, so go to touriste.co.uk and click on the Music Player and then listen to "Your Move". It reminds me of Yellow by Coldplay, in a really good way).

Sixth is a band called Freemaker. I saw them live about a month ago and they blew me away. They sound like The Arctic Monkeys playing songs by The Strokes:

6. Freemaker

Seventh is Does It Offend You Yeah? The best new electro / punk / indie / DJ outfit / band you've heard in a long time. Trust me.

7. Does It Offend You Yeah?

(You can download an mp3 of their Xfm remix session right here, and I highly suggest you do so).

That'll do for now. I'll add more later if other people contribute to this thread or post feedback anyone's interested.
    Last edited by Stefinitely Maybe; 07-12-2007 at 12:50 PM.
    "The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

Default Re: This is the thread where we talk about new bands.

hey Stuff

can you list your top 5 potential new girlfriends for us
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Neat-o.

Au Revoir Simone
    I'm sure a lot of people have heard of therm but I'm loving au Revoir Simone right now. Melodic piano based pop music good for lazy summer afternoons. For Fans of Stars, Feist, and Jenny Lewis' vocals.

Banned

I get to see Au Revoir Simone at monolith yeah

Illinois isn't too bad.

I just read about Pain Funnel, I may check them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Illinois isn't too bad.

I just read about Pain Funnel, I may check them out.
    Tom, please provide links and some info.
    "The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

I'm listening to St. Vincent right now.

It's pretty awesome. St. Vincent is Annie Clark formerly of The Polyphonic Spree.

The Big Sleep - new as of last fall. I'd call them post-rock-punk.

and allow me to plug Crippled Black Phoenix for the 50th time.

Quote Originally Posted by hangthedj112 View Post
    Neat-o.

Au Revoir Simone
    I'm sure a lot of people have heard of therm but I'm loving au Revoir Simone right now. Melodic piano based pop music good for lazy summer afternoons. For Fans of Stars, Feist, and Jenny Lewis' vocals.
    Excellent choice. Enjoying what I have heard from them so far.

I saw Illinois open for the Hold Steady. They were pretty good, reminded me a lot of Wilco, which, you know, I like, although copy-cat bands are not cool, as an opening band they exceeded expectations.

Pain Funnel, you need to scroll down for the review.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I've seen Fanfarlo and The Lea Shores. Both are good, but Fanfarlo are by far the better band. Will check out the others.

Some of my current new faves.

1. Yndi Halda
    Something for all you Explosions In The Sky fans. Instrumental, string heavy and beautiful.

2. Shady Bard
    Taking things a bit slower, Shady Bard are reminiscent of a slightly less chaotic Sunset Rubdown (unfortunately their myspace only has clips, but you'll get the idea)

3. The Tailors
    More of a Wilco vibe here. Caught them supporting and they were an unexpected joy.

4. Economy Wolf
    Love what i've heard so far, but yet to catch them live. If you like My Bloody Valentine, this should float your boat in a Noah-esque fashion.

Your opinions?
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylerdurden31 View Post

It's pretty awesome. St. Vincent is Annie Clark formerly of The Polyphonic Spree.
    I just heard this a couple of days ago. I thought it was pretty good.

Are we allowed to discuss local bands that haven't quite made it yet?
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

She plays in Sufjan Stevens live band too. She supported him in London - I actually thought she was pretty shit. Maybe it was just an off night, as a lot of people seem to be getting into her music.

The Au Revoir Simone album is beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    hey Stuff

can you list your top 5 potential new girlfriends for us
    bug, I don't have a list, but I just saw this picture on the Does It Offend You Yeah? myspace, and, whoever this girl is, if I did have a list, she'd be on it:

Last edited by Stefinitely Maybe; 07-12-2007 at 01:49 PM.

I haven't had tv or internet at my house for 2 and a half months, but i hear good things about this little band called, what was it? um....Sonic Youth?

Coachella Junkie

For fuck's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    For fuck's sake.
    she's kidding...

right?

she's kidding...

right?

?? is she
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

All those bands above look WAY too pretentious.

And she must be kidding... she must...
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Local bands that haven't quite made it yet?

Coachella Junkie

she's kidding...

right?
    The for fuck's sake was about having titties unexpectedly appear on my work monitor, not the obvious Sonic Youth joke.

Titties? Where? Are you talking about THE MIGHTY DUGONG?

Coachella Junkie

Titties. Dugong.

Coachella Junkie

Sea cow.

Banned

sea cow titties?

I never knew the dugong had such long, slender legs.

All the bands Stef posted look so British. I love it.

I'm going to listen to them. Especially the one that sounds like the Rapture.

Alright, I am going to list all my friends bands cause they are all pretty solid I think. The Hanks are the ones who even named me "superfan" to being with.

The Hanks

The Hanks are the epitome of the do-it-yourself work ethic. By fusing technical know-how with artistic skill and several years of unassisted endeavors, the Los Angeles-based indie-rock foursome — vocalist/guitarist Josh Grondin, bassist Bryan Harris, drummer Shane Mayo and keyboardist/horn player Philip Katz — has built an established name, refined its sound and accrued a loyal fanbase with nothing more than some time, touring miles and a few excellent releases. Yet, after a number of years as a self-backed entity, The Hanks is finally getting its long-awaited due, with the support of upstart record label Cobra Music and the re-release of its full-length debut, Your New Attraction. For an act that began by selling burned copies of its recordings to its high school peers, having its album distributed on a national level is a much-needed step forward. Founded by Grondin and Harris, The Hanks (named from an off-the-cuff Tom Hanks reference by a former band member) began while the pair attended a rural Oregon boarding school. NorCal native Harris and the East Coast-raised Grondin assembled material for their first release and recorded the decidedly crude Opener EP in their dorm rooms. With the local success of Opener, The Hanks recorded its second release, Moving On at a proper studio in Northern California. In the summer of 2000, Harris and Grondin moved south to attend classes at a Los Angeles music school. Less than a year later, the pair joined forces with Mayo and Katz, putting The Hanks back in gear. With an established line-up in place, The Hanks raised funds from wherever they could and began tracking their debut full-length album in 2003. Composed of material written over the course of their post-high school years, and influenced by the likes of Lagwagon, Mad Caddies, Weezer, The Cars, Paul Simon and Jimmy Eat World, the album, Your New Attraction, found The Hanks writing melodic rock that appealed to a broad range of audiences. Upon finalizing Your New Attraction in March 2005, The Hanks became a full-time band, immediately hitting the road with local friends Darci Cash on a number of regional and national excursions – all self-booked by members of both bands. Dubbing the outings “Tour de Force,” The Hanks spent several months on the road. “We just basically went out and busted our asses, selling CDs,” says Harris. During one of its outings in March 2006, The Hanks had the opportunity to perform at a South by Southwest showcase in Austin, Texas. Grasping the attention of Cobra Music, the act joined the label and opted to re-release Your New Attraction via Cobra Music (the label’s first release). With the deal came the distribution the band so eagerly sought. “People can go get our record in the stores if they want,” says Harris. “Before they had to either order it online or only get it at the shows.” The Hanks are continuing to take their music directly to the people with constant tours and a high energy live show. “We’ve just been running parallel to everyone else,” says Harris. “We’ve been doing our own thing, but it’s cool, because the fanbase that we have is really our own fanbase. The kids that are coming to our shows are really coming to see us.”

Band Members Josh Grondin plays guitar and sings.

Bryan Harris plays bass and sings backups.

Philip Katz plays more instruments than we can keep track of.

Shane Mayo plays drums.

Influences Radiohead, Elvis Costello, The Police, Death Cab for Cutie, Paul Simon, Depeche Mode, The Beatles, Darci Cash, Blonde Redhead, Incubus, Cake, At The Drive In, The Cardigans, Danny Elfman, Weezer, Lagwagon, Self, Mad Caddies, Beck, The Cars

Darci Cash

A majestic white 15-seater van prowls the streets of downtown Los Angeles at 1AM. As it rounds yet another corner, en route to its equally majestic destination, the sounds of screams and gasps, once so far off and easily mistakable, become frighteningly real. A large crowd has gathered outside 1018 Gillcrest Avenue, where a freak electrical fire has overtaken an apartment complex. The van grinds to an abrupt halt and out come five. Five: Like the number of fingers on a hand. Five: Like the number of days between Christmas and New Year's Eve. Five: Like the number of minutes until the fire reaches the building's gas generator and it's blown to kingdom come. But fortunately for the tenants of 1018 Gillcrest Avenue, this isn't just any group of young suburbanites. DARCI CASH is accustomed to being in the company of danger. The events that follow could be described. They could be cleverly worded and provide you, the reader, with the plain, unadorned facts that would cause you to think you understood. But nothing...no words can truly communicate... Fast forward five minutes and the scene is vastly different. The crowd has erupted in jubilant celebration as a spontaneous parade circles the block. Piles of soot and ash are gathered by children and made into snowmen. Darci Cash has not only saved all those once in peril, but (using emergency supplies stored in the back of the van) constructed a makeshift apartment complex, complete with an indoor swimming pool/recreation center. And just like that, our heroes vanish into the night, leaving the inhabitants of Gillcrest Avenue with warm hearts and a stack of Caffeine Teen samplers. Needless to say, the event will live on in Los Angeles folklore for generations upon generations to come.

Band Members Ben Welch
    (lead vox & bass)
    Ashley Powell
    (keyboards & vox)
    Mack Slevin
    (lead guitar & vox)
    Jeff Baird
    (drums)

Influences Bat Thumb, Pixies, Wilco, Pedro the Lion, Headphones, Bright Eyes, Death Cab For Cutie, Radiohead, Beach Boys, SELF, Smashing Pumpkins, Deftones, Depeche Mode, Sufjan Stevens, The Hanks, The Absentee

The Absentee

The Absentee is the product of six billion people all having the same thought at the same time. Thanks guys. If it weren't for you we wouldn't exist.
    (and the above is the product of me getting extremley bored with our previous bio. Get back to you when I've come up with the perfect new flashy advertisment for us. Meanwhile enjoy the self explanatory tunes)

Band Members Max Baybak - Vocals/Keys
    Jason Wrightsman - Guitar
    Michael Hendry - Bass
    Zach Schrock - Drums
    Mack Slevin - Guitar and everything in between

Influences Bright Eyes, Broken Social Scene, Sufjan Stevens, Ryan Adams, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, The Album Leaf, Built to Spill, Modest Mouse, Ugly Cas, Joanna Newsom, Death Cab, Wolf Parade, Pavement, Neil Young, Pedro the Lion, Fiest, Solaris Soundtrack, Apostle of Hustle, Simon and Garfunkel, The Velvet Underground, Saddle Creek, Arts & Crafts, Darci Cash, The Hanks, The Parson Redheads, Flashing Red Lights, Day of Lions, The Ghost Kings and so many more

Flashing Red Lights

After years of lending his guitar work to LA bands, Darci Cash and The Absentee, Mack Slevin began writing and recording his own songs under the moniker of Flashing Red Lights in 2005. Quickly picked up by Yukon Records, he would lend 5 songs to Yukon’s first release, a split with Portland based Day of Lions.

While still dividing his time among Darci Cash, The Absentee and more recently The Ghost Kings, Slevin still finds time for Flashing Red Lights and has recently brought in Jason Wrightsman, Mike Hendry and Zach Schrock from the Absentee and Ben Welch from Darci Cash to fill out his sound. FRL has evolved from stripped down singer-songwriter acoustic pieces to full band indie gems that incorporate lap steel and banjo along with Slevin’s intricate guitar parts.

Playing more and more around his native Los Angeles with hi-profile acts such as Valentino, The Parson Red Heads and Ric Veda, Slevin and crew also are making their way into Aermotor Studios in the coming months to record a yet to be titled EP to be released on Yukon in the fall.

Band Members Mack Slevin with the gracious help of Mssrs. Mike Hendry, Jason Wrightsman, Zach Schrock and Benjamin Welch.

Influences: Adventure Forest
    38/30
    Matchstick Studies
    Stab! Knife! Stab!
    Back To Battery
    The Attack Pose
    Paper Street

Josh Grondin

Hello all,

My EP is being postponed due to the busy touring and recording schedule of my band, The Hanks. I'm hoping to get it out sometime this summer, but in the meantime, I've uploaded some more demos (make sure to scroll down to see all the songs).

"Colorado" is the only one that will be on this next EP (what's online right now is a rough mix), although the other songs will probably find there way onto future releases.

"What Do You Know About Love?" was recorded live one magical morning in Seattle and features Anastasia and Nathanial Bennett on bowed bass and accordion respectively. It was written the night previous, in the hallway outside of their studio apartment where all of the Hanks and the band Darci Cash were staying while on a Pacific-Northwest tour together.

"Forever Hold Your Peace" and "We Used To Say" are newer songs layed down fast and furious while in the middle of recording my EP.

Lastly, I recorded a cover of The Magnetic Fields' "Why I Cry" a few years back and stumbled upon it recently, and thought I'd put it up on myspace for awhile. It's a nice little ditty, and be sure to check out the original.

I hope you enjoy!

Your musical pal,
    Josh

Band Members Josh

Influences Stuff. And also other things.

Day of Lions

"Lead by the rarest of things in this genre (a female), her presence alone is enough to illustrate the otherwise foreign concept that girls don't have to be the enemy” - Portland Mercury

"The sheer talent apparent in this band is bound to get them places...hints of jazz and the blues... [Gena] proves that Seattle isn't the only home of the Northwest indie. Strongly recommended." -Boston Globe

"plodding, studies in bummer relationships, loneliness and resignation" -Anchorage Daily News

"very soothing and kind of charming, [Gena's] nonchalant approach to the vocals matches up nicely with the mellow and chordy guitar parts" -Status Magazine

"Acoustic and undistorted electric guitars strum gentle chords while haunted chanteuse Gena Gastaldi blows her moody zephyr voice into the mic."

Band Members day of lions is
    gena gastaldi
    tyler tornfelt
    charlie hester
    blake hooper

other people who have been a part of dol include...
    aaron edge
    emily dalsfoist
    jason seachrist
    david ruiz
    bryan free
    mickie
    daniel parker
    dave turel
    missi hegland
    ben of darci cash
    josh grondin of the hanks
    jay of the absentee
    more that i'm forgetting..

Influences elliot smith, elizabeth elmore, karate, the smiths, the cure, pedro the lion, owen, american football, azure ray, death cab, etc...

I saw Illinois open for the Hold Steady. They were pretty good, reminded me a lot of Wilco, which, you know, I like, although copy-cat bands are not cool, as an opening band they exceeded expectations.
    They are playing at Lolla. I'll check them out.

A friend's band that you might want to check out if you're on the west coast. They're about to kick off a tour:

http://www.myspace.com/inaviate

This is an older picture: