View Poll Results: Who is more overrated?

Voters
435. You may not vote on this poll
  • Radiohead

173 39.77%
  • Arcade Fire

262 60.23%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is More Overrated: Radiohead or Arcade Fire?

Default Re: Who is More Overrated: Radiohead or Arcade Fire?

Quote Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
    the Mars Volta
    wrong

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Could not agree more. This is literally one of my least favorite bands of all time.
    wrong

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Amen,hallelujah,word up to that!
    and wrong...
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Actually overrated:
    Bloc Party
    Interpol
    Pavement
    Wilco
    Arctic Monkeys
    The Police
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (just plain horrible)
    The Mars Volta (ditto)
    The Rapture (ditto)
    Joanna Newsom (ditto)

pavement?
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

Coachella Junkie

I'm going to make a set of pogs out of your vertebrae.

oooohhhhhh POGS!!!!!

I wanna play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Actually overrated:
    Bloc Party
    Interpol
    Pavement
    Wilco
    Arctic Monkeys
    The Police
    The Mars Volta (ditto)
    The Rapture (ditto)
    Joanna Newsom (ditto)
    BP- agree. I mean I like them and all but they're not that great
    Interpol - agree
    Pavement - wtf?
    Wilco - now I know you're joking
    Arctic Monkeys - slightly overrated. Coachella set was a bit disappointing
    The Police - totally agree
    CHYSY, MV - don't you have to be actually admired by someone to be overrated?
    Rapture - meh
    Newsom - horrible? are you fucking kidding me?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The answer is Radiohead and the Arcade Fire are overrated.

The Tet Holiday.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

We aren't even rated yet. Give us time to be overrated. It is a growth process.

The Mars Volta are pretty much amazing.

At The Drive-In on the other hand, were very overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I like "One Armed Scissor", but it's a limited track (in terms of, you know, musical prowess)

Does it get better after that? Or what?
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

"Overrated" is a term usually reserved for things that aren't really particularly good, yet get credit for greatness--not things you admit are great but you just don't think are AS great as their diehard fans make them out to be. That's kinda what diehard fans do.

Whatever else you want to say about them, both bands kinda created a sound that was fairly distinctly their own, which is the reason almost all legendary bands are legends.

And the correct answer is Rolling Stones, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Yeah, the Rolling Stones were good in the 60's, with some decent stuff in the 70's, but nothing since.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    "Overrated" is a term usually reserved for things that aren't really particularly good, yet get credit for greatness--not things you admit are great but you just don't think are AS great as their diehard fans make them out to be. That's kinda what diehard fans do.

Whatever else you want to say about them, both bands kinda created a sound that was fairly distinctly their own, which is the reason almost all legendary bands are legends.
    You sir are one smart wang...Nicely done!
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Even then, I dunno... there's about ten good Stones songs, but the fact that they get considered to be one of the greatest bands ever, somehow in the same category as The Beatles or Floyd... it just annoys the shit out of me. The Stones made good simple bluesy rock music (sometimes good), but that was all they ever did. Every other major band that came up during that time period evolved, the Stones never did.
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Even then, I dunno... there's about ten good Stones songs, but the fact that they get considered to be one of the greatest bands ever, somehow in the same category as The Beatles or Floyd... it just annoys the shit out of me. The Stones made good simple bluesy rock music (sometimes good), but that was all they ever did. Every other major band that came up during that time period evolved, the Stones never did.
    Completely agree.

AF, Pitchfork enjoys being on their knees more for them than RH

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    AF, Pitchfork enjoys being on their knees more for them than RH
    I'm not so sure about that, Pitchfork would post about Thom Yorke's farts if they could get confirmation...
    I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

I still love this PF parody sucking off RH

Someone gets a pat on the back if you can locate the Kid A parody where they have Radiohead superimposed on top of NSync back from 2000.

You don't actually like rock and roll, do you randy.

The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time
    hey wait a minute. where the fuck is Esteban on that list?????

Justice

*runs away*
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    this is fantastic news...we can all fist ourselves in peace now...
    http://www.last.fm/user/theburydlife

2011 Wishlist: Soviet Soviet, Swans, Heroin and Your Veins, Lower Dens, The December Sound, Scarlet Youth, Faunts, Bad Lieutenant, The Besnard Lakes, The Raveonettes, Screen Vinyl Image, Sway

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

can we separate pre-neon bible arcade fire from post-neon bible arcade fire? because i think everything before deserved the hype it got, and that neon bible was extremely underwhelming.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Actually overrated:
    Bloc Party
    Interpol
    Pavement
    Wilco
    Arctic Monkeys
    The Police
    The Mars Volta (ditto)
    The Rapture (ditto)
    Joanna Newsom (ditto)
    You almost had me until Joanna. Are you out of your fucking mind? Also, Pavement and Wilco are both very good bands. I don't think anybody "overrates" The Rapture either. There just some goofy dance punk band that are pretty good at what they do. I never heard anybody claim they're God's gift to music or anything.

Everything else you said is spot on though.

Yes, the Stones are a one trick pony, but Jesus, Randy, what a trick. They have waaaaaaaay more than "ten good songs", plus you can always at least count on the Stones to be the Stones, even when you can't count on anything else. Plus that's something you just can't say about most bands. Consistency goes a long way in rock music, kid. So does chops and craftsmanship. I'll even take it a step further, The Stones are clearly a better rock band than either Floyd or The Beatles. Anybody who doesn't see that doesn't know anything about anything.

Flight of the Conchords.
    For your health

Radiohead>Flight of The Concords>Arcade Fire
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

To answer your question Tom: no, I kinda don't like rock n' roll. Bob Seger can keep his old records on his motherfucking shelf--I like shit a little bit more progressive. Beatles might be the best band ever, but I'll be fucking goddamned if I ever listen to She Loves You willingly again, and Satisfaction is basically on the same line of craftsmanship except one was an embarassing teenager's song and the other was a career-definer.

Quote Originally Posted by mob roulette View Post
    Yes, the Stones are a one trick pony, but Jesus, Randy, what a trick. They have waaaaaaaay more than "ten good songs", plus you can always at least count on the Stones to be the Stones, even when you can't count on anything else. Plus that's something you just can't say about most bands. Consistency goes a long way in rock music, kid. So does chops and craftsmanship. I'll even take it a step further, The Stones are clearly a better rock band than either Floyd or The Beatles. Anybody who doesn't see that doesn't know anything about anything.
    Well I haven't listened to every Stones song ever recorded, so there could conceivably be more than ten. But of the ones I have been exposed to, there ain't much more than that, and a lot of them sound alike. Consistency in rock music sucks, particularly when you're talking about consistency over several decades during a period when there was a cultural revolution going on. There was upheaval, both socially and musically.

When Pet Sounds came out The Beatles knew they couldn't just put out another consistent record again, and that forced the brilliance of Sgt. Pepper to come to fruition. Somehow the Stones were completely comfortable with the fact that they exited one of the most tumultuous periods in cultural history as the exact same musicians they were when they entered it. Sorry, but I don't consider that consistent--I consider it shallow.

A better rock band? I mean, I guess, if we're accepting the definition that I gather you're implying for "rock." But just rocking isn't really all that difficult. Lots of fucking bands are better rock bands than The Beatles and Floyd, because they elevated themselves above just "rocking." Nirvana's a better rock band than Radiohead too, who gives a fuck?

Although, just to play Devil's Advocate, I challenge you to find anything that the Stones ever did that wails harder than Gilmour's solo at the end of Comfortably Numb or the breakdown in Happiness Is A Warm Gun. Failing that, I cite Helter Skelter.

Quote Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
    I'm not so sure about that, Pitchfork would post about Thom Yorke's farts if they could get confirmation...
    And if Win and Regine did like a side prjoect also, wouldnt they get the same treatment? Yeah, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    can we separate pre-neon bible arcade fire from post-neon bible arcade fire? because i think everything before deserved the hype it got, and that neon bible was extremely underwhelming.

No you cant, cause then should we seperate Radiohead pre and post OK Computer? You cant do that.

This is a tough argument as it is since AF only has 2 records, but they have been elevated to such a high "status" in the matter of 3 years. Radiohead has put out 6 albums and has been around for almost 20 years. Most of their acclaim has been well earned and most people know it. The thing with them(I think) is that at this stage in their career, they are getting an insane amount of ass kissing that it turns some people off so there are lots of arguments like this. Then there is the whole pretentious b.s. also to go with it and whatnot.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

yeah, they only have two full lengths but with with their singles (i'm thinking cold wind/brazil) and their rarities i think that's enough to gauge whether they're overrated or not.

yeah, funeral made the reviewers jizz all over everything but that was legitimate. i think the buildup to neon bible pushed some people past objective listenings and consequently created a classic example of overrating.

but i don't care what you say, i'm only admitting to them being overrated since neon bible.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Other bands more overrated than either of these:
    Beastie Boys
    U2
    The Strokes