6 3.31%
  • Sigur Ros

23 12.71%
  • Chemical Brothers

16 8.84%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Coachella Performance EVER

Default Best Coachella Performance EVER

I'm going to say that this year's performance by Bjork was the best in Coachella history. Agree or disagree?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Re: Best Coachella Performance EVER

I love Bjork...To the point that it is almost a downright obsession. But...I still think Radiohead had given the BEST Coachella performance hands down...their set was longer then Bjork and I don't think anyone expecting Creep and Planet Telex to be pulled from their bag of tricks..In my mind Bjork comes a VERY close 2nd to RH 2004 performances..in fact if you catch me on the right day I might even say she was better then RH (I swear that mind blowing techo freak out combo of Hyberballad and Pluto followed by Declare Independence blew me away)...but if I think about RH is still tops...Though I voted for RH my heart stills goes to Sigur Ros 2001 performance...simply for the fact that I had NO idea what I walked into but was FLOORED by the time they went into sven g enlar. And that 1st exposure to Popplagith still stands out in my head...I was floating on clouds a few days afterwards....So in my mind it would be Radiohead...Bjork (2007)...Sigur Ros...in that order...whew!
    Last edited by TeamCoachellaHellYeah; 07-07-2007 at 05:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Not going to belive this but I DID NOT GO ON THE SATURDAY THAT RADIOHEAD PLAYED. It goes without saying that every year is a lock no matter how many days it is. Back then, I was hurting on cash and could only go on Sunday. In fact, I drove home after the concert that year. Between the DVD and everyone's conversation, I know...I blew it big time.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

You listed shit band Oasis, but not the performances that were actually legendary, like Pixies, Daft Punk, Arcade Fire? For shame. Especially since you can have ten choices in polls.

I can't remember anyone mentioning The Pixies on the board. Yeah, I messed up on Daft Punk. I don't care for the Arcade Fire, although, I may land up going to the bowl to see them. Were The Pixies really that good?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

yes, they (Pixies) were that good.

and Bjork in 02 was much better than Bjork in 07.

Also not having either Underworld performance on there is a crime, ask anyone.

And I think most of the board would agree on these ommissions from your list. Lamb (99), Gogol Bordello (07), Kraftwerk (04), Belle and Sebastian (02), DJ Shadow (99), Arcade Fire (05), Libertines (03), Basement Jaxx (04), etc...

that is all.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 07-07-2007 at 08:09 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

you left out daft punk/.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Daft Punk
    Underworld ('03)
    The Prodigy ('02)

I really dug Kraftwerk in '04 but I wouldn't put their performance on par with either of the three I've mentioned above. Maybe I was just too exhausted from the heat and the onslaught of Pixies -> Stereolab -> Radiohead, but Kraftwerk's show, while terrific, wasn't mindblowingly amazing, and thus not for consideration among one of the best Coachella performances EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    The Prodigy ('02)
    I heard that their 05 set was actually better?, just curious.

I used to have a video recording of their 02 set, and a good quality audio recording of the 05 set, had to reformat my PC though and lost everything

i'll get it back eventually

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    you left out daft punk/.
    Still can't believe I was walking out of the festival when Daft Punk was on...I just thought it was going to be another DJ set...oh well, I will make up for it at Red Rocks...
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Only kidding, but not really.

I didn't even see Kraftwerk (considering my first was in 06), but I'm pretty sure they need to be up there.

Also, Daft Punk of course.
    8/2 & 3 HARD Summer
    8/7 Jagwar Ma @ Santa Monica Pier
    8/15 Echo Park Rising
    8/21 Interpol @ Boulevard Pool
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    9/6 RP Boo @ Los Globos
    9/24 Interpol @ House Of Blues
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey
    9/26 Wu Tang @ The Forum
    9/27 Hercules & Love Affair @ Lot 613

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Still can't believe I was walking out of the festival when Daft Punk was on...I just thought it was going to be another DJ set...oh well, I will make up for it at Red Rocks...
    For shame!! I was literally running from Depeche Mode to the Sahara tent to maybe get a decent spot. Dont know why you would call it a night before DP.

yeah man shame shame
    as predicted by nostradamus

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    Gogol Bordello (07)
    That will be a show people will be talking about years into Coachella future.
    Them and Rodrigo and Gabriella.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Not going to belive this but I DID NOT GO ON THE SATURDAY THAT RADIOHEAD PLAYED. It goes without saying that every year is a lock no matter how many days it is. Back then, I was hurting on cash and could only go on Sunday. In fact, I drove home after the concert that year. Between the DVD and everyone's conversation, I know...I blew it big time.
    How the fuck do you choose one of those two days and not pick the one with Pixies opening for Radiohead? I would do inhumanly gruesome things to just about anything/one to get to see that, I was fucking sick to my stomach about missing it back in Jersey and that was before I'd ever been to Coach and didn't know it was heaven yet.

Dude. Pixies. Radiohead. Honestly, hard to think of a cooler double-header that could still happen today.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Truth be told ... call them button-pushers or not ... the Daft Punk Coachella performance was so legendary and gave them such great word-of-mouth that it 1) set the stage for their whole North American tour this year and 2) set the bar PRETTY high for live EDM performances from here on out, Coachella and otherwise. Also, Dave Wang LOVES them.

I remember walking back to the car after seeing Daft Punk last year, with the previously unfelt sensation of having just seen the 8th wonder of the world. I don't think anything will top that for years. until technology improves.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    For shame!! I was literally running from Depeche Mode to the Sahara tent to maybe get a decent spot. Dont know why you would call it a night before DP.
    ME TOO. their encore took forever, i was about to bail but then it ended
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post

I used to have a video recording of their 02 set, and a good quality audio recording of the 05 set, had to reformat my PC though and lost everything

I unfortunately didn't see the Prodigy in '05 because the girl I went with wanted to see Bright Eyes and I wanted to be with her. If I had any doubt that I was making a mistake, it was eradicated when Conor Oberst took the stage drunk and slurred his way through his introduction. Yet still I stayed! I'm a moron, I know. At least I got a good spot for Daft Punk.
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

I thought their performance on the main stage (02) was better than their tent performance (05).
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Quote Originally Posted by superfiction View Post
    ME TOO. their encore took forever, i was about to bail but then it ended
    I left before they even got to the encore, I knew what they were going to play, so it was just amatter of getting through the people and not stepping on sombodys face. And yeah Pixies need to be on this and DP. I am not voting for anything, its too tough a vote. Although I will say the Radiohead performance was their "weakest" of the 11 I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    How the fuck do you choose one of those two days and not pick the one with Pixies opening for Radiohead? I would do inhumanly gruesome things to just about anything/one to get to see that, I was fucking sick to my stomach about missing it back in Jersey and that was before I'd ever been to Coach and didn't know it was heaven yet.

Dude. Pixies. Radiohead. Honestly, hard to think of a cooler double-header that could still happen today.
    My main decision had Air on Sunday. That is all I wanted to see back then. I wasn't impressed with Frank Black at a HOB performance and I assummed wrong with Radiohead. Do I regret it? Look at all of my posts on the damm board. I'm imprisoned here. I try to read everything on this board to prevent this from ever happening again.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

So you getting Air tickets next week Henry? I'll remind ya.

Yep. Please do.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

I saw both sets and I thought the 2002 performance was loads better. In fact halfway through 2005's set we actually walked back to our car.

any word on a Denver show? since you always have the latest info...

Truth be told ... call them button-pushers or not ... the Daft Punk Coachella performance was so legendary and gave them such great word-of-mouth that it 1) set the stage for their whole North American tour this year and 2) set the bar PRETTY high for live EDM performances from here on out, Coachella and otherwise. Also, Dave Wang LOVES them.
    I agree with this whole heartedly...we needs better Sahara headliners next year!!

Out of the choices, Bjork 02. i know this wouldn't have made the list, but in 99' Mixmaster Mike and q-bert had an Invisible Skratch Piklz reunion that was huge (first tent i saw busting outside the capacity). That was not Daft Punk legendary though.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Out of the choices, Bjork 02. i know this wouldn't have made the list, but in 99' Mixmaster Mike and q-bert had an Invisible Skratch Piklz reunion that was huge (first tent i saw busting outside the capacity). That was not Daft Punk legendary though.
    This thread seemed like a slam dunk. I guess there were many exceptional performances throughout Coachella's history.

Your the second person who chose the 02 performance to this year's performance. I loved 02's performance. It seemed like there were parts of her performance in which you could just hear the noises of the desert. It was loud and quiet at the same time. Her performance this year was amazing to me because it was like an opera from Pluto. The sound and the visuals were really wonderful.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Lurker

bjork just completely blew me away. i kept thinking to myself... "is this really happening?!"