Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LETS HAVE A PUNK STAGE IN 2008.

Thumbs up LETS HAVE A PUNK STAGE IN 2008.

I've been to Coachella for the last 4 years and must say I have had a fantastic time at each one. However I do find that most Indie bands are very nice and lack the aggression that their punk forefathers instigated 30 years ago. Punk is still alive especially in the UK and Europe. Check out REBELLION, a 4 day festival in Blackpool England. www.rebellionfestivals.com The cream of British punk will be there with some Euro and USA bands performing. So how about taking the "niceness" out of Coachella and giving it a harder edge next year?
    www.myspace.com/bandthewall
    JOE X www.myspace.com/johnhammondsafc
    Last edited by JOE X; 07-07-2007 at 02:51 AM.

Default Re: LETS HAVE A PUNK STAGE IN 2008.

to what end?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JOE X View Post
    However I do find that most Indie bands are very nice and lack the aggression that their punk forefathers instigated 30 years ago.
    I had no idea that punk gave birth to indie bands.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

They better have Frenzal Rhomb.

PUNK IS DEAD

Worst idea ever.

Yes, Punk bands like Good Charlotte and +44...

That will improve Coachella's image VASTLY...
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I've been to Coachella for the last 4 years and must say I have had a fantastic time at each one. However I do find that most Indie bands are very nice and lack the aggression that their punk forefathers instigated 30 years ago. Punk is still alive especially in the UK and Europe. Check out REBELLION, a 4 day festival in Blackpool England. www.rebellionfestivals.com The cream of British punk will be there with some Euro and USA bands performing. So how about taking the "niceness" out of Coachella and giving it a harder edge next year?
    Oh, I am sorry Rage Against The Machine wasnt "hard" enough for you? Yeah or Tool, Wolfmother, Nine Inch Nails,The Blood Brothers, The Locust, Iggy And The Stooges etc etc just didnt do it for ya right?

Yeah "punk" has nto been represented like in a big way, but that doesnt mean they never wated to try it. It has to be a band that is accepting to the audience, it cant be like some random band alright kid? So ya know, be happy you get your genre specific festivals in the u.k. so shut up and be happy Coachella is not chock full of hard bands and that there is violenece. Do you wanna hear of some kid get demolished in the pit? Ok then...

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Yes, Punk bands like Good Charlotte and +44...

That will improve Coachella's image VASTLY...
    it'll probably get Blink 182 on the bill too! My favorite!*

* indicates extreme sarcasm

Coachella Junkie

Oh yeah, about taking the "niceness" out of coachella...

Coachella is all about a friendly vibe, and like supre said, if bands like Tool, NIN, or Rage dont do it for you, I dont know what will.

oh, and American punk is alot different than UK/European punk; basically, American punk plays on MTV and/or Warped Tour.

MTV/Warped Tour is nothing like Coachella.

Coachella did get two "punk" acts this year. But they also each had that extra flaire that makes them stand out, and that why they got on there.
    The Gogol Bordello were there because they have the energy of the CBGB era punks mixed in with tradition eastern balkan music. Also, I think Manu Chao put in a good word for them.
    Against Me! were there this year because they used to sound different than most band bands. Up until their album "Finding a former Clarity" or some shit like they, all their songs were acoustic. However, they sounded more outraged at society and the government then most punks bands now a days. Their last two albums = shit though. Its all mainstream sounding, its pretty much lost its folk sound and they only use electric guitars now.

With that being said, I think Coachella is open to welcoming punk bands in the future. But they have to stand out. How about Tiger Army next year?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

just go to warped
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    just go to warped
    My thoughts exactly

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    just go to warped
    Warped doesnt even have a punk stage any more.
    It has a ton a shitty emo bands, with a few good punk bands thrown in.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Warped Tour has a couple of bands I'd like to see (Fishbone, Bad Religion) but I don't know if I could live with myself knowing that I went to Warped Tour.

Gogol Bordello was my favorite of the weekend at Coachella and I thought Against Me! was a lot of fun. Reinventing Axl Rose kicks ass.

Is punk still around?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I dunno, I agree with Joe. Coachella is very mellow. A little too mellow. One or two "harderish" bands a year doesn't really cut it.

Keep in mind that Rage Against The Machine, Tool, Wolfmother, Nine Inch Nails,The Blood Brothers, The Locust, Iggy And The Stooges all got pretty good responces. That means people like it. If people like it, they should have more of it.

And way to jump to conclusions with the Blink 182 shit. The kid didn't mention anything like them. Warped tour isn't remotely punk anymore either. Bunch of assumers.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    it'll probably get Blink 182 on the bill too! My favorite!*

* indicates extreme sarcasm
    I had to sit through a good charlotte performance at a festival in Japan once...it...was...really...reallly....bad...what made it worth it was getting a good spot for Radiohead.....
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

If you want an edge how about Coachella invites the great Merzbow and has him curate one of the tents...I would love that but I doubt 99% of everyone else would...better yet just reunite MBV and have Merzbow on before them...MBV could join him on stage and do one of their infamous noise meltdowns....
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Merzbow would be sweet. I'd like to see some noise at Coachella.

So how about taking the "niceness" out of Coachella and giving it a harder edge next year?
    Why not? If there's one thing I often wish, it's that Coachella would start to suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Originally Posted by JOE X ------
    So how about taking the "niceness" out of Coachella
    Is he serious? or is that an attempt at humor?

Quote Originally Posted by UnicornsForBreakfast View Post
    I dunno, I agree with Joe. Coachella is very mellow. A little too mellow. One or two "harderish" bands a year doesn't really cut it.

Keep in mind that Rage Against The Machine, Tool, Wolfmother, Nine Inch Nails,The Blood Brothers, The Locust, Iggy And The Stooges all got pretty good responces. That means people like it. If people like it, they should have more of it.

And way to jump to conclusions with the Blink 182 shit. The kid didn't mention anything like them. Warped tour isn't remotely punk anymore either. Bunch of assumers.
    Coldplay, Damien Rice, Eisley, Sigur Ros and other really really not hard bands got good responces as well. Things are fine the way they are. Plus the fact that Coachella has reserved a hard band as a headliner the past 3 years should be enough.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I had no idea that punk gave birth to indie bands.
    It kind of did, though. The punk revolution was as much a DIY revolution as a sonic revolution.

Post-punk and New Wave (and NWOBHM, but that's a different discussion) sprang from punk rock.

And the college/alternative rock of the 80s came from (or was) post-punk and New Wave.

Punk didn't quite give birth to today's indie (taken as a genre) but it was certainly part of the direct ancestral line.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

You cant forget about where the punks came from though.

It goes full circle. Bands who were changing music were inspiring people like Joe Strummer and Joey Ramone. Bands like Television and Patti Smith. Now adays, people view Television and Patti Smith as sort of "indie" acts. So in a way, indie inspired punk.

On a side note, we should start a NWOMHM thread on this board. I wonder how well that would go over.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    It kind of did, though. The punk revolution was as much a DIY revolution as a sonic revolution.

Post-punk and New Wave (and NWOBHM, but that's a different discussion) sprang from punk rock.

And the college/alternative rock of the 80s came from (or was) post-punk and New Wave.

Punk didn't quite give birth to today's indie (taken as a genre) but it was certainly part of the direct ancestral line.
    My great great great grandparents came over on the boats from punk.

Talking Re: LETS HAVE A PUNK STAGE IN 2008.

SO WHAT'S IT GONNA BE IN 2008, ANOTHER NICECELLA OR A BADCELLA?
    I HEARD THAT OUR PSYCHIC FRIEND IS THE PERSON BEHIND HIREING SUCH ACTS AS LILLY ALLEN AND JAMES BLUNT AND NEXT YEAR SHE'S TRYING TO GET CONDY RICE TO GIVE US A BIT OF IVORY TINKLING ALONG WITH ELTON JOHN.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post

Well that's true, but I think he meant indie bands as the independant little bands that go to Coachella. I mean, there were always those little D.I.Y. bands before punk, it's just that punk did it a lot and were more successful and doing it. I meant that a lot of indie bands don't necessarily have punk influence just because they are independant.

I HEARD THAT OUR PSYCHIC FRIEND IS THE PERSON BEHIND HIREING SUCH ACTS AS LILLY ALLEN AND JAMES BLUNT AND NEXT YEAR SHE'S TRYING TO GET CONDY RICE TO GIVE US A BIT OF IVORY TINKLING ALONG WITH ELTON JOHN.
    You are very mistaken.

THATS NOT NICECHELLA

Dude, are you on drugs?