Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Hat Troubles

Default Hi Hat Troubles

So I just bought a new drum set. And the hi hat is broken.

It just stays down. I have no idea how to get that "spring" back into it so it rests above the top one and doesn't sit on it.

Any idea what I'm talking about?

Default Re: Hi Hat Troubles

So is the lug that holds the top high hat busted?

does the rod sticking out the top come out if you pull it up...because if it does all you have to do is disassemble the stand down to the height adjuster around the middle and screw the rod back in. That happened to me probably 2 dozen times.

Okay.

The rod coming out the top (near the boss area) .. when I pull it up the pedal does comes up with it. So there is no upward tension.

When I let it go, the Superior cymbal rests on the inferior and the pedal is just resting on the floor. I have no idea what is going on with it. Maybe I need to take it apart a bit more?

So I just took it apart. And it seems the spring isn't catching onto the rod. So there is no upward tension to keep the two cymbals apart.
    Last edited by Good Days Last; 07-02-2007 at 02:28 AM.

ANYBODY?

i use a drum machine...
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

I use a drum machine too, but I'm getting sick of the mechanical feel of it in the stuff I write. So I bought a set to teach myself how to play.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Take a closeup pic of the area down by the pedal--having no idea what year or make your hi-hat is it's kinda impossible to explain what you might have to do to hook the pedal up to create tension.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Goddamnit. I thought this was going to be an interview thread.

Question The First: If you were a fedora blowing down a NYC street briskly away from your owner, would you rather land at the feet of (a) some hipster, (b) a 1940s private detective, or (c) a Bleeding Gums Murphy-style saxophone player who happens to be a homeless junkie but extremely talented?
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hat
    Private detective. I want to be a hero. I want fanmail and ticker tape parades. I want a hot dame with precisely coifed hair and blood red lipstick. This is going to be the crime ring bust of the century, and I'm getting the glory.
    Hat wanted me to tell you this.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

I will give you a checklist to troubleshoot, with pics.

Up soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Well you practically got that opportunity, Hat, as you were up for the role of Bob Hoskins's hat in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, unfortunately losing out to an older moder.

Question The Second: Of all your acting jobs, which are you most proud? Which was the most harrowing?

I got to play Jimmy Stewart's hat in Vertigo. That was a dream come true, although I had to wear a lot of makeup and costume to look the part. Seriously, though, Kim Novak touched my brim. She TOUCHED MY BRIM. There's no topping that.

This is Hat speaking, btw.

Banned

Dear hat,

Were you scared when Lincoln was shot? I mean you had to be sitting really close during the fatal shot.

I was terrified at first. Once I calmed down, I was heartbroken. Abe was the best owner I had had since Robin Hood. I did a little time atop Napoleon, which I wouldn't recommend.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Starting at the bottom of the stand:

Make sure that the rods coming from the bottom of the pedal are secured into their respective sockets. This keeps the foot pedal in place. Here is what it looks like out, and in.

Depending on your stand, you may have a memory lock that adjusts pedal height/tension that needs to be adjusted. This stand has one, in the center of the photo.

The rod that comes out of the top of the stand is threaded at one end, as pictured, and screws into a rod inside of the stand itself that the foot pedal is attatched to. It is possible to put the rod down into the stand and miss where it screws in completely. If the rod isn't connected, the foot pedal will not move it up and down. Here is the rod end, and a rodless stand. Also pictured is the rod in with the bottom hat seated on the washer and felt.

If you successfully connect that rod and it appears to be correctly operated by the foot pedal, your problem might be in the hi hat clutch.

Your clutch could either be stripped, so that it doesn't hold to the rod properly when tightened, or the bottom plastic nut may not be tightened enough. Here is a correctly mounted top hat on the hi hat clutch.

I highly reccomend the clutch pictured, I have had it for a number of years now and has far outlasted any other clutch I have used, being that it doesn't strip as easily. The wing nut doesn't screw directly to the hi hat rod like cheaper ones, it instead encloses the rod in a metal washer/nut so that when you moves the top hi hat down with your foot, tension isn't applied to the clutch's wing nut. If that makes sense. Here is a complete stand with cymbals correctly attatched.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

This is me and my girlfriend last halloween. I was a crab.

The night started out pretty slow, but we went to a party and all my friends commended me for dating a human female. The highest any of them have gotten so far was a pink briefcase.
    Last edited by Hannahrain; 07-02-2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Changing the overall sentiment of the post for no real reason.

I was expecting someone named Hat Troubles to be interviewed
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Don't be ridiculous.

Banned

Hat,

Does it disgust you that you are used as a prop (as in the pic below) and not as your intended purpose?

Don't judge me. I've got yarmulkes to feed. A hat's gotta do what pays the bills, or we'll go the way of the snood. I'm already way less popular than I used to be. Nobody used to go anywhere without me. But times have gotten tight.

Banned

Hat,

I think Jarabe tapatio is some of your finest work to date. What would you says is your favorite fashion/song/hobbies?
    Last edited by J~$$$; 07-02-2007 at 05:13 PM.

Hat,

What the fuck is with all this straight brim on baseball caps fashionable shit that's been going on? Would you agree that this is the most annoying trend your America's favorite past time form has had to deal with since the backwards cap wars of the 1990s?

I think straight brims look hot.

Hat,

I think Jarabe tapatio is some of your finest work to date. What would you says is your favorite fashion/song/hobbies?
    By far, my greatest fashion triumph to date has been the balloon hat. It does a good job of illustrating the many facets of my personality.

Song wise, I'm a fan of Marvin Gaye's "Wherever I Lay My Self".

I've got many hobbies, and I dress appropriately for each one. I play baseball:

Go fishing:

Pillage and plunder:

Paint:

and just hang around with the guys:

It really depends on my mood.

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Hat,

What the fuck is with all this straight brim on baseball caps fashionable shit that's been going on? Would you agree that this is the most annoying trend your America's favorite past time form has had to deal with since the backwards cap wars of the 1990s?
    I don't tell you when I don't like what YOU'RE wearing. You're not being supportive of my right to sport any brim angle that I choose to. I feel like your question is attempting to cram me into a hatbox, and I won't stand for it.

I'll cram something in your hatbox, you ingrate. You let yourself be perverted by frat boys and gangsta rappers who are really just another form of frat boys, and I try to come to your defense, and this is what I get?

I'm glad none of you ever fit me well, 'cause we're done for. You're old hat, Hat.

You're nowhere near as classy without me.

I own vintage skinny ties, Bruno Maglis, drive a Carmen Gia, only drink highballs, wear expertly-tailored white linen suits, lead perfectly on the dance floor, and only send hand-written letters on parchment.

Your class is not needed here, sir.