When I was growing up we use to go on these camping trips to the Kern river every summer with all the neighbors and friends we grew up with...

The adults always went down on intertubes and we as kids were not allowed... there was a smaller rapid that ended right by our campsite. Well, when I was about 12, one morning the adults all left to go up the river and I snuck away from the couple adults that didn't go with an intertube that had a bottom, determined to go down at least that last little set of rapids... well, after hiking up the river a lil, I got in where it seemed calm... (that year just happened to be a record rainfall year so the rapids were way stronger than at first glance)... I was having fun and doing good until I went over a large rock, flipped, and got pulled into the current underneath. The intertube had flipped and since it had a bottom it was suctioned down with me trapped underneath, totally unable to swim or even move against that current... So after what feels like minutes and water totally going into my lungs, someone's older cousin jumped in to get the intertube and find me... once the tube was moved I popped up and he managed to help me get through the rest of the rapids... I stayed out of scary water for a long time...