Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone from Oregon/Washington or have good knowledge of the music scene there?

Default Anyone from Oregon/Washington or have good knowledge of the music scene there?

I'm just kind of checking around to see what kind of low-key, singer songwriter type scene there is. This is actually a serious question as it involves business/relocation plans. Looking at John Darnielle (of the Mountain Goats), Page France, Bob Schneider, basically anyone that could play a great acoustic set in an intimate venue and dominate... Post with any info... Thanks...
    -----------------------

Default Re: Anyone from Oregon/Washington or have good knowledge of the music scene there?

Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Say goodbye to that acid, Greg.

Default Re: Anyone from Oregon/Washington or have good knowledge of the music scene there?

Quote Originally Posted by nothingman00 View Post
    I'm just kind of checking around to see what kind of low-key, singer songwriter type scene there is. This is actually a serious question as it involves business/relocation plans. Looking at John Darnielle (of the Mountain Goats), Page France, Bob Schneider, basically anyone that could play a great acoustic set in an intimate venue and dominate... Post with any info... Thanks...
    You have all the k records folks (mirah, microphones, etc). That's where I would start.

Those folks tend to play small venues all over the place, and tend to put on great shows. I know that Phil Elvrum (microphones, mount eerie) is around town as of late. I'm not sure what your dates are, but I'd start with the artists on that site and branch out from there.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 06-27-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Oh, not exactly looking at those artists. Just giving a smattering of types of artists...
    -----------------------

our music scene sucks. if you bring more shitty music here i'll kick your ass
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

Quote Originally Posted by superfiction View Post
    our music scene sucks. if you bring more shitty music here i'll kick your ass
    I saw the Degenerate Art Ensemble last month... I have to say that I disagree.

Looking for the type of people that would be great in an intimate setting (i.e. an art house type venue with considerate listeners. Preferably acoustic/strings/lo-fi/etc. type of music. I know there's quite a few Elliott Smith clones wandering around Oregon, and know that the majority of them only contribute to crapping up the scene, but I find it hard to believe that there is no decent music scene in Oregon/Washington. wmgaretjax, thanks for helping me out. Superfiction, thanks for attempting to help me out. I'm looking for optimism (though if you truly think the scene sucks then please elaborate). And no, I'm not importing crappy music anywhere. Just trying to get an idea of the scene as I'm looking at moving there soon and am interested in the local music scene.
    -----------------------

I thought Bob Schneider was from Austin.
    I don't understand your question. Are you wanting to relocate Bob Schneider to Portland?

PS Bob Schneider sucks bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

No Tom, I'm just trying to throw out a wide range of musicians. And thanks for your unsolicited opinion on Bob Schneider. He thinks you suck, too.

OK, my question was simply designed to try to gauge the local music scene (from a non-elitist prick point of view) of Oregon and Washington cities. Maybe I should have thrown out Will Sheff as a better Austin example, but Bob plays some bluesy stuff and i was trying to represent a few different styles...
    -----------------------

I don't know who is smoking crack here, but Portland is home to The Shins, Death Cab for Cutie, Steven Malkmus, The Decemberists, Menomena, and, apparently now, Britt Daniel (I know he's originally from Austin).

Modest Mouse is from Issaquah, Washington. There are others I'm forgetting.

Just look at pollstar under Portland and Seattle to see all the bands coming through.

I'm probably not addressing the specifics of your question though.

And I'm not from Washington or Oregon but one of my best friends lives in Portland.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

No Tom, I'm just trying to throw out a wide range of musicians. And thanks for your unsolicited opinion on Bob Schneider. He thinks you suck, too.

OK, my question was simply designed to try to gauge the local music scene (from a non-elitist prick point of view) of Oregon and Washington cities. Maybe I should have thrown out Will Sheff as a better Austin example, but Bob plays some bluesy stuff and i was trying to represent a few different styles...
    Bob Schneider wants to be John Mayer but isn't talented enough. That's how bad he sucks.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

most of the folks yablo just mentioned (along with others like built to spill and pedro the lion) do regular acoustic and intimate gigs... although they tend to be for fundraisers.

RE Tom: burn....

EDIT: Also, as far as I know Gibbard and crew live in Seattle... I see them walking around pretty regularly on Cap Hill.

there used to be some loud rock band from washington. some emo shit i think. menik, help me remember.

Blood Brothers?

earlier.

melvins?

oh fuck this, you are talking about nirvana. here I am trying to be serious and helpful...

Schneider worse than Mayer? Obviously, you're going on his studio work (which admittedly sucks-with the exception of "Underneath the Onion Tree" and "Songs Sung and played on guitar" (his earlier stuff). the corporate gleam didn;t work well with Bob's stuff. As a longtime Austinite, I can only say your opinion on this issue may be further off base than you could possibly imagine. When John Mayer starts writing and singing songs like Sideshow Tornado and King of the World, then we'll discuss the two in the same breath. Mayer is the more accomplished guitar player, Schneider is, by far the better songwriter, both lyrically and musically. They;re not even in the same genre, with the exception of the commercial albums.
    -----------------------

No, I've never heard any of his records. I saw him at ACL a while back. He was dreadfully bad.

That set was soooo bad, that if that was my only exposure to him, I would completely agree with you. Completely unrepresentative of his usual set. Check out some of his stuff on Archive.org (especially, the Saxon Pub shows). Hell, just download a version of Sideshow Tornado and tell me he is a John Mayer wanna-be. P.S. When John Mayer was about 4 or 5, Schneider was fronting the Scabs and The Ugly Americans---2 of the most legendary Austin bands of the past 20 years. With songs like "Pussy Fever", "Hangin' out with Horny girls", "Wiggle My Dizzy Stick", and "Fresh Shaved Asian Teens", you get a sense of the crude humor behind some of Bob's stuff.
    -----------------------

Again, i can;t even remotely describe how horrific his ACL set was. It was a shameless attempt to try and sell an album where he basically said "Fuck it, I want some money. This 3-gig a week stuff is getting to me." Not representative at all.
    -----------------------

hey do you remember the Skunks? or are they too old for you?

Again, i can;t even remotely describe how horrific his ACL set was. It was a shameless attempt to try and sell an album where he basically said "Fuck it, I want some money. This 3-gig a week stuff is getting to me." Not representative at all.
    you're talking about the 2002 set? yeah. it was slick and pandering.

Tom, pull your head out. How in the hell could I not have at least heard of Jon Dee Graham after living in Austin for about 10 years? By the way, your Bob Schneider < John Mayer would be like me saying Skunks are a ripoff of the Strokes. There's just no comparison, era-wise or genre-wise between the two. I understand your attitude to Bob after that atrocious set, but I'm telling you, as someone who has seen various incarnations of Bob in about 150 shows (estimated), that ranks in the top 1 of his all-time worst performances. and again, it was absolutely shameless.
    -----------------------

Just because I think you're missing out on some good music and I feel badly that your only experience was that show, try dl'ing the 12-07-02 show off of Archive.org if you get a chance. or go with some specific tracks: "Sideshow Tornado", "Horses and Ponies", "c'mon Baby", "Queen UK", "Down the Dark stairs", "Batman" hell virtually the entire show except "Round and round", "Captain Kirk", "Metal and Steel" and a few others...
    -----------------------

Just because I think you're missing out on some good music and I feel badly that your only experience was that show, try dl'ing the 12-07-02 show off of Archive.org if you get a chance. or go with some specific tracks: "Sideshow Tornado", "Horses and Ponies", "c'mon Baby", "Queen UK", "Down the Dark stairs", "Batman" hell virtually the entire show except "Round and round", "Captain Kirk", "Metal and Steel" and a few others...
    When tom makes his mind up, tom doesn't go back. He just keeps running on. He's the running man, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

Yabble, at ;east my serious question got almost 3 sincere replies. Take THAT, beaytch.
    -----------------------

Tom, pull your head out. How in the hell could I not have at least heard of Jon Dee Graham after living in Austin for about 10 years? By the way, your Bob Schneider < John Mayer would be like me saying Skunks are a ripoff of the Strokes. There's just no comparison, era-wise or genre-wise between the two. I understand your attitude to Bob after that atrocious set, but I'm telling you, as someone who has seen various incarnations of Bob in about 150 shows (estimated), that ranks in the top 1 of his all-time worst performances. and again, it was absolutely shameless.
    I was thinking more of Jesse Sublett not JDG. And it was a question about the band, not the solo careers that followed. and the Strokes don't sound a bit like the Skunks did. Well they both had guitars and drums. give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yablonowitz View Post
    When tom makes his mind up, tom doesn't go back. He just keeps running on. He's the running man, after all.
    ok, Dr. Eisenbatz, what is your opinion of Bob Schneider?

im just not into our scence. death cab is from washignton by the way, one of them went to my highschool...and they still suck. its just all indie shit up here its probably right up your ally
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.