Thread: Carp Diem

Default Carp Diem

Carp Diem (Used as an admonition to seize the pleasures of the moment without concern for the future) ... "live for the day" for those in Rio Linda (sorry inside joke there for some of us) .... this is going to ramble some ..... do you go to so many shows now that, sure they are still special and you are looking forward to them, but it is a little bit of ho hum? I know people that go to so few concerts in their lives that when they are going to one, they are so excited and wired about it, they drive me crazy .... wouldn't it be nice to be like that again and sort of view the show thru the "eyes of a child" with wonderment and excitement? .... when I go to an outdoor fest or even red rocks (best venue in the world) I take my backpack, rain gear, food, the kitchen sink, etc. just so I am prepared ... then for the whole show, I am always watching out for my backpack to make sure I don't loose it or someone swipes it ... I miss out on part of the concert experience because my feet are in "jars of clay" and stuck in reality ... I am worried or thinking about what might happen, or what I might need so I have my little piece of reality to keep me in place.... maybe the worst carp diem for me .... some drugs will do this, but the worst is alcohol .... have you went to a show, got drunk, had the time of your life, danced your ass off and smiled the entire night ... then the next day you say, "How was the show, I don't remember anything" ... or worse for me, especially with new groups, I say, wow I really want to see those guys, only to have a friend say to me, "but Ron, you already saw them, don't you remember the xxxx festival when they opened up for xxxxxxx ..... well I went to the show again, had a great time, but don't remember squat about it .... so did I live for the day, had a killer time with no regard for the future, and is that what really matters, or are those memories and fun times gone forever, never to be enjoyed again because I let go just for the day .... I guess the question is somewhat like this ...."Which is more important, enjoying life as it happens, or moderation of some sort and then being able to relive the memories of something I did, for the rest of my life?" .. don't know if I posed my question so all could understand .... Colorado Ron ****.

Banned

Default Re: Carp Diem

OMG!? Colorado Ron are you starting to burn out?....NOOOOOOOOOOooooooo!

Banned

Live the moment.

love the phish lol .. no, not burning out (although, better to burn out then to fade away) I think it is just I am bored at work today and sort of melancholy ..... hit maybe 50-75 shows last year, and looking to up the ante again this year ... I will never beat my "140 shows in one year" though ... maybe I am just spoiled lol ... cr******

damnnnnnnnnnnnnnn C***ron
    140 shows in one year !?!?!!?

what was your top 10 from that year?

That's really damn impressive. I make it to about 40 shows a year, which seems like a lot to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

the top 10 .... that sort of eludes to my original post ... can i remember .... that was the year i hit coachella, bonnaroo, vegoose, and wakarusa for fests and they are always fun ... I saw NIN 4 times that year, and what made it so good was I saw them at a big outdoor fest (coachella of course), a smaller outdoor venue (red rocks), a big indoor venue (pepsi center), and a smallish club (filmore), so it was interesting to see how different each show would be ..... artic monkeys and wolf mother was cool since no one knew who they were and there were about 100 people in the venue ... love red rocks, so most any show i saw there ... just too many to pick from ... its all good though .... cr******

BUG, I remember you from last year on this board.
    you know as far as memorable (not necessarily the tightest or best) but I still think about them: best shows I went to older then 10 years ago
    (and I am going to show my age)

Beatles ..... red rocks (64) and budikon (Japan) 66 or 67
    Doors and Mothers of Invention (67) Family Dog Denver
    Cream (Family Dog, 68 Denver)
    Led Zep (68 Denver coliseum, 1st time they EVER played in the US)
    California Jam (74, Sabbath, eagles, deep purple, elp, and 500,000 other people)
    Denver Pop Festival (69 Hendrix, Credence, Cocker, butterfly, CSNY, 3 Dog Night LOL)
    Atlanta Pop Festival (69, Janis J, J winter, cocker, Chicago Transit Authority (b4 they got soft on us), Zep)
    Bowie (Ziggy stardust tour 72, LA)
    Altamont (No comment)
    Pink Floyd (Hollywood bowl, the debut of Dark Side of the Moon in the US
    Police (some college in NC, maybe 150 people there, 80?)
    U2 (Rainbow Music Hall 81, Denver)
    Woodstock 1 and 99 (like ying and yang)

and of course these are less the 10 years ago:
    Benefit Bridge Concerts (SF Bay area) (made 8 of em and they were all great)
    Coachella (04 or maybe 05)