Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who here knows dreamweaver?

Default who here knows dreamweaver?

i just started learning to use this software so far so good but the only annoying thing is that i cant easily drag an image anywhere on the screen. can anybody help?

this is dorky but i had a dream today that i could open a .psd file on dreamweaver and i got my website done just like that. i woke up and tried it and didnt work. wouldve been sooo easy for me. i learned that dreams can mislead you...urgh

check out the site i have right now

http://arbouler.com

Default Re: who here knows dreamweaver?

Not an answer, but it would be nice if you used that black space to the right of every to display the images in your portfolio as the mouse moves over each band name.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

i do...i can help you in web designing if you need it....dreamweaver (or whatever else program) or just plain old hard coding...

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    Not an answer, but it would be nice if you used that black space to the right of every to display the images in your portfolio as the mouse moves over each band name.
    good idea brad.
    menik, get on it with brad's suggestion! lol

but anyway, i just need a really basic website. and the only things missing right now are:

the capability of putting any image i want anywhere on the page.
    if you look at the navigation bars on the left column, those are all jpeg images. somehow i got them to align quite well.

but on the links page (which has nothing yet), i have more jpeg images that i wanna hyperlink. i tried dragging them but they automatically align at places i dont want them to.
    so i want whats on arbouler.com/links.html to look like this
    http://arbouler.com/index_files/links.html

but dreamweaver wont let me easily do it. but im sure it can cuz i used freakin publisher on my site's older version.

basically, thats all i need for now to get the site to function.

oh and for brad's idea, the list of bands are all in jpeg embedded to the background. same issue as the images, im not able to put text anywhere i want. and i cant even use the spacebar to type text in. is it just my cs3 being retarded? or is it just me?

its a matter of using tables to align whatever images and/or text you want....or if you have one giant .jpg with bands names, and you want each of those clickable...you can use dreamweavers image mapping feature....but I would try (I can help) aligning your images and text with tables...cuz even your current menu to the left of your pages isn't correctly aligned.

Notepad rules.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

oooh is this where we go to petition erik to redesign our websites?

it had to be done...
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

so im tryin this table thingy. seems to be quite alright now i suppose. but i was wondering if i can direct this horizontal green guide line to any pixel coordinate i want? seems like it's been snapping at certain pixel number but wont let me snap at the next pixel. like, it'll go to 84 px then randomly jumps to 93 px when i want it to align at 85.

also i hope this will work but does the table system have merge cell function like on excel?

ok figured those two things out.
    umm what should i do if i want my site to center automatically on any web browser on any screen? right now the whole page is indented to the left. i checked page properties but there isnt any indentation menu for the page.

well I know there is an option under dreamweaver to do that, but I don't know it off the top of my head...probably easier to go into the coding and add div tags like:

<div align="center">
    your website stuff
    </div>

that will align everything after the <body> and before the </body> tags. That won't center your embedded background though...not sure if thats what you want for your background...if so, there's other ways to do that.

hmm the background is embedded, and yea i wanna center that. prob ably wont work but ill look into it.

is there a way to put two different tables of different numbers of rows and columns side by side? so far i have two tables but they wont go next to each other. this dreamweaver is starting to kill me. been reading some guides for a couple days and they dont really help my case...

yeah there is...you can embed tables inside of tables, allowing for tables of different specs to be placed side by side...an example would be like:

<table>
    <tr valign="top">
    <td align="left">(this is the column you'll be putting your second table inside of)

<table width="200"><tr><td>
    Blah 1
    </td></tr>
    <tr><td>
    Blah 2
    </td></tr>
    Blah 3
    </td></tr></table> (okay I closed this second table, now time to place another table, with only 2 rows, beside it)

</td> (closing the first column from the first table)

<td align="left"> (opens second column in the first table, and is placed side by side by the first column which holds your second table)

<table width="200"><tr><td>
    Blah 1
    </td></tr>
    <tr><td>
    Blah 2
    </td></tr></table> (third table, inside of second column, is now closed)

</td></tr></table> (now your first table, which houses the other two tables, is now closed)

that would give you something like:

of course, the borders of the table could be turned off and such etc...

this is just a simple example, which can be expanded upon. <tr> represents rows, and <td> represent columns. There are ways to use column spans to achieve this too, or just using <br> and <p> tags inside of tables as well.

alrite i didnt use the table inside table thingy. i decided to embed some texts in jpeg background instead. but anyway, the website is updated now.

i think the navigation bars are aligned when ichecked them.

now im gonna spend some time on the image mapping thingy for my portfolio page and for link page. cant believe i spent another day working on this silly thing.

there's still some minor defects in the menu, like its slightly different on one page than the other and so on...there's way to fix that, which is to make only 4 default images (8 if you want to do mouse over) and then create a menu template to place on each page exactly the same

plus, if you turn each of those links (with the biohazard thingy) into separate images, it could be easily be coded to look that way using tables, but you'd get more options with the linking and stuff too, and I think it would work better...but up to you.

^alrite i got the mapping done for the links. you gotta click on the biohazard to be linked to the other websites.

now i need to do the same for the portfolio section. only its gonna be harder cuz im not exactly sure how i can map an image to be previewed in a small window when i scroll on a band name. i'll figure that out tomrorow i guess. now i need to eat something. urgh

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post

it had to be done...
    I had that album when I was like 13.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nipples View Post

it had to be done...

I was reading through the thread to see if someone did it....nicely done.

so i found this site

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/style/cs...-image-viewer/

it has a thumbnail image and when you scroll over it, a bigger version pops up.
    i tried customizing the html codes but didnt work. im not sure if i can embed the css code into the html code on dreamweaver. i dnt think you can though.

aight nvm im probbaly jsut gonna use snap shots (snap.com) to preview the photos. it works fine so far

also

when i wanted to change the height of a specific cell, turns out it affects all the cells in that row. i have a screenshot right here. is there anyway that a cell in a specific row or specific column have independent width and length?

Last edited by arbouler; 06-24-2007 at 12:47 AM.

can someone help me figure out how to make my pages centered on any screen?
    i was on another computer and checked the website out and it's offset to the left. how do i center the pages (home and links)

i use dreamweaver cs3 and can PM you the codes

the thumbnail thing you mentioned earlier...when a bigger version pops up, can all be done using some javascript mouseover codes...and some preloading script to load all the images first...fairly simple to add to any page.

for your centering problems....right after the <body> tag, add a <div align="center">, and then close it with a </div> right before the </body> tag. See it that works. Try it out in whatever browses you can (firefox, IE, Opera etc). You'll wanna add the <div> on all your pages you want centered.

to answer a way earlier question about table cells and such, yes it is possible to have cells independently bigger/wider than others. You have to use the COLSPAN and ROWSPAN attributes when creating your tables.

Basically what those do is adjust whatever given cell you wanna make bigger. If you want a single cell to be 2 rows wider or 2 rows taller, then you just use the COLSPAN and ROWSPAN options to make that work.

For cells you wanna be wider, you use the COLSPAN, which will adjust whatever cell across how ever many colums you want it to expand. To do that, you would start your table tags <Table><tr> then put <TH COLSPAN="whatever #">blah blah</TH>. So if you want the first cell to be double wide as the cells below it, you would put (and this is just some example code i made quickly):

<TABLE BORDER=2 CELLPADDING=4>
    <TR> <TH COLSPAN=2 BGCOLOR="#ff0000">Bands/Years </TH> </TR>
    <TR> <TD>Coldplay</TD><TD>2005</TD> </TR>
    <TR> <TD>Radiohead</TD><TD>2004</TD> </TR>
    <TR> <TD>NIN</TD><TD>2005</TD> </TR>
    </TABLE>

that would produce:

http://ebombfilms.com/table_demo2.html

if you want cells that are like 2-3 rows higher(longer) than ones next to it, you would use the ROWSPAN. Here's some example code again:

<TABLE BORDER=2 CELLPADDING=4>
    <TR>
    <TD>Year</TD><td>Band</TD><TD>Stage</TD>
    </TR>
    <TR>
    <TH ROWSPAN=3 BGCOLOR="#ff6600">Coachella 06</TH>
    <TD>Depeche Mode</TD> <TD>Coachella Stage</TD>
    </TR>

<TR>
    <TD>Daft Punk</TD> <TD>Sahara Tent</TD>
    </TR>
    <TR>
    <TD>Tool</TD> <TD>Sahara Tent</TD>
    </TR>
    <TR>
    <TH ROWSPAN=3 BGCOLOR="#ff6600">Coachella 07</TH>

<TD>RHCP</TD> <TD>Coachella Stage</TD>
    </TR>
    <TR>
    <TD>Steve Aoki (sucks)</TD> <TD>Sahara Tent</TD>
    </TR>
    <TR>
    <TD>Kid Beyond</TD> <TD>Gobi Tent</TD>

</TR>
    </TABLE>

that would produce:

http://ebombfilms.com/table_demo1.html

so basically, whatever cell you want higher, longer, taller/whatever...use the <TH Colspan/rowspan=#></th> thing for it, and then just place the other cells around it. At least that's how you do it hard coding, which I find easier. Dreamweaver may have a something for the graphic interface, but its easier to just goto the html editor and adjust it yourself I think. I know all that sounds and looks confusing probably..I suck at explaining things.

Banned

I thought this was about those damn Weaver pitchers.

E

old school

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    My Nirvana Collection
    Id check your New York dates circa 93.
    They say that they played at New York Coliseum.
    I think that is inaccurate. They may have played the NASSAU COLISEUM, but i dont even think Nirvana played anything THAT big in New York around that time.
    The New York Coliseum was a convention center and an office building. While I don't know 100%, I highly doubt they played there, considering the location and the type of building it is. Just an fyi.
    I am going to get so blown to Cypress Hill while they play.

Last edited by gaypalmsprings; 09-23-2007 at 08:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    well I know there is an option under dreamweaver to do that, but I don't know it off the top of my head...probably easier to go into the coding and add div tags like:

<div align="center">
    your website stuff
    </div>

that will align everything after the <body> and before the </body> tags. That won't center your embedded background though...not sure if thats what you want for your background...if so, there's other ways to do that.
    thanks menik,

i didnt realize i already asked how to centralize the embedded background and everything on my page. if you check the front page, http://arbouler.com on your screen it is aligned to the left. im gonna try the code you posted, but if theres other ways to do it, it'd be great if you could help me out.

i figured out the table cells stuff using their visual interface. i dragged/ merged the cells around and they work just fine. whats kinda annoying is that i have to insert an image into a cell and create the link mapping from the images. it would be so much easier if i could just create the link mapping from the inserted background image, but dw wouldnt let me do that (unless if theres a way that i dont know how)

Quote Originally Posted by thinnerair View Post
    Id check your New York dates circa 93.
    They say that they played at New York Coliseum.
    I think that is inaccurate. They may have played the NASSAU COLISEUM, but i dont even think Nirvana played anything THAT big in New York around that time.
    The New York Coliseum was a convention center and an office building. While I don't know 100%, I highly doubt they played there, considering the location and the type of building it is. Just an fyi.
    Hey thanks nando, I'll look into it.

try something like (for the background):

body {
    background-color: #000000;
    background-image: url(arbouler%20index.jpg);
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: center center;
    }