Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 36

Thread: UNKLE - War Stories

  1. #1
    old school Stefinitely Maybe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,603

    Default UNKLE - War Stories

    The new UNKLE album is available on TorrentSpy now. I downloaded it this morning and I've been listening to it all day. It's not bad, but not as good as the first two. I'm a little disappointed.
    "The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

  2. #2
    Citizen Erased idrive1life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,176

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Cool, thanks! Disappointed - why?

  3. #3
    old school Stefinitely Maybe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,603

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Dunno, it just doesn't rock as hard as the other albums.
    "The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

  4. #4
    Member kimery08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    southern california
    Posts
    1,447

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    boo. i thought this thread was going to be filled with stories about everyones crazy uncles.
    '03 '04 '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '12 '13 '13

  5. #5
    old school superfiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    5,698

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    hahaha
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

  6. #6
    Coachella Junkie fatbastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    12,258

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Uncle Story-My Unlce Robert was a green beret in Viet Nam. Back in the 70's, he offerred to take us hiking. My mom took me to Millers Outpost, which use to be just like REI, and purchased the necessities; backpack, sleeping bag, and boots. He took me and my two other cousins. We packed sodas, potato chips, and sandwiches for a week. He was a bit intense but it was fun. On the second trip, we weren't allowed to bring sodas or chips. He had us bring freeze dried food which Millers Outpost use to sell. On this trip we would be walking along the trail turn around and he would be gone. He would hide from us and follow us all the way to the campsite. It was really weird. On the third trip, we only brought rice, trail mix, and an edible plants book. He made us pick our own greens to eat. He would question us too. I would pick a plant that looked exactly like the plant in the book. He would thumb through the book and find an identical plant that was poisonous. We came home hungry and frustated from that trip. I think we only went one more time. Oh and he use to hike in the nude with his girlfriend. We didn't go to those trips.
    Whiskey Sour

    2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

    Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

  7. #7
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,764

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Oh and he use to hike in the nude with his girlfriend. We didn't go to those trips.

    poison ivy. yikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  8. #8
    Coachella Junkie rage patton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    26,488

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    I heard Josh Homme played with UNKLE when they were at Coachella, is this true?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

  9. #9
    old school Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,289

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I heard Josh Homme played with UNKLE when they were at Coachella, is this true?
    Don't think so. When UNKLE did Coachella, it was just James Lavelle doing a DJ set.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

  10. #10
    Coachella Junkie rage patton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    26,488

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    Don't think so. When UNKLE did Coachella, it was just James Lavelle doing a DJ set.
    5 Times
    Josh Homme - 2002, 2003 (with Queens of the Stone Age), 2004 (with The Desert Sessions), 2005 (with UNKLE), 2006 (with Eagles of Death Metal)
    From Wikipedia.

    EDIT: Heres the link to go along with it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coachel..._Arts_Festival
    Last edited by rage patton; 06-26-2007 at 01:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

  11. #11
    old school fober's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,526

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Well, I left his Dj Set early, so I suppose Josh Homme joined him towards the end or something.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓


  12. #12
    old school Somewhat Damaged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,289

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Wikipedia's wrong. I didn't leave his set early and I wasn't on drugs, so it's not like my memory is suspect. Josh Homme didn't do any performing during UNKLE's set. Maybe a QOTSA track was played (but I doubt it; I do recall, however, "Mr. Brightside" and a U2 song (I think "Where the Streets Have No Name")) but that's really the only way he could have been perceived to have done anything during UNKLE. Unless he was dancing off-stage and that was mistaken for being part of the set? Or, as is also possible, whoever provided that entry just made a mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

  13. #13
    old school mob roulette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    The Mercy Seat
    Posts
    2,644

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    They should tour with the Verve so they can bust out this:



    Bonus points for bringing back any of these guys too:



    (I actually like the second one better. Of course.)

  14. #14
    old school Tylerdurden31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY...the non-hipster part
    Posts
    3,847

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Chemistry....sounds like he ripped off Mogwai in an odd way

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    cold white north
    Posts
    2,281

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    my uncle used to roll us up in carpets and scare the shit out of us as kids...

    worst torture you can inflict on a 5 yr old: telling them that the 'boogie man' will grab their bums while taking a dump
    I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    NORTH AMERICAN TOUR

    18 Oct Webster Hall New York, USA UNKLE live
    19 Oct Lee's Palace Toronto, Canada UNKLE Live
    20 Oct Metro Chicago, USA UNKLE live
    26 Oct Echoplex Los Angeles, USA UNKLE Live
    27 Oct Mezzanine San Francisco, USA UNKLE live
    28 Oct Vegoose Festival Las Vegas, USA UNKLE live

    http://www.unkle.com/
    ass on the grill

  17. #17
    Coachella Junkie luckyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,945

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Ok, I wonder why they took so long to confirm these. I have had my ticket for a month or so now, and I am so pumped. War Stories is probably my favorite CD of the year right now.
    For your health

  18. #18
    Member samiksha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ypsilanti
    Posts
    1,600

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    one time my uncle said he would show me how to light a match twice, so he lit it, put it out and then just stuck the hot end on my arm and burned me.

  19. #19
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,032

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Uncle Story-My Unlce Robert was a green beret in Viet Nam. Back in the 70's, he offerred to take us hiking. My mom took me to Millers Outpost, which use to be just like REI, and purchased the necessities; backpack, sleeping bag, and boots. He took me and my two other cousins. We packed sodas, potato chips, and sandwiches for a week. He was a bit intense but it was fun. On the second trip, we weren't allowed to bring sodas or chips. He had us bring freeze dried food which Millers Outpost use to sell. On this trip we would be walking along the trail turn around and he would be gone. He would hide from us and follow us all the way to the campsite. It was really weird. On the third trip, we only brought rice, trail mix, and an edible plants book. He made us pick our own greens to eat. He would question us too. I would pick a plant that looked exactly like the plant in the book. He would thumb through the book and find an identical plant that was poisonous. We came home hungry and frustated from that trip. I think we only went one more time. Oh and he use to hike in the nude with his girlfriend. We didn't go to those trips.

    that is one of my favorite stories on this entire board .. cr****

  20. #20
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,032

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Quote Originally Posted by samiksha View Post
    one time my uncle said he would show me how to light a match twice, so he lit it, put it out and then just stuck the hot end on my arm and burned me.
    old bar joke ... cr .**** my fav bar joke is where you tell someone you can stand on your hands for whatever time they say .... easy pickins lol . cr****

  21. #21
    Member kimery08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    southern california
    Posts
    1,447

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    when i was a little girl my uncle would drink and always promise to get my name tattooed on him if i would get him beers the whole night. he has everything tattooed on him so i really thought he would.
    he never did : (
    '03 '04 '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '12 '13 '13

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    UNKLE last night, and a free hit of acid, thanks to and old, old, friend that I ran into at the concert. Also, spent too much money on booze then I would have liked, but I was in no responsible state of mind last night. I was very fucked by the end of the show. I had to sprint a mile within 6 mins to catch a train back home. By the time I reached the train after running, I was completely sober, and I wanted to puke my guts out (Im not in shape, havent ran in about 6 months.)

    Anyways a short review a the UNKLE show last night:

    Not bad. It was mostly a rock show. I think if the drugs were to talk for me, I would say it was Amazing. I think they played alot of new tunes from 'war stories' cause I wasnt familiar with many of the tunes (dont own 'war stories', yet). But they also played quite a few tracks from 'Never Never Land' including one that I got a video off (Reign):




    But the best part of the night was their Encore. They saved their two best songs "Rabbit in Your Headlights" and "Eye for an Eye". They used little edited clips for visuals durring each song. 'Eye for an Eye' really freaked me out though (especially on acid). They kept showing clips from the music video where they have a close up of those litte creepy chattering teeth bug thingys.

    But yeah, it was still the best song of the night.

    All in all it was a pretty cool show. Some cool visuals, but nothing like that of Daft, or The Chems. But, I like what they have going, I just think they could easily improve some things to make it into a great show. James was really excited to play live, so his energy was felt throughout the set. Hope they keep the whole live thing going. I would give it a B/B+

    songs they played that I can remember (not in order):
    lonely souls
    reign
    burn my shadow
    in a state
    eye for an eye
    rabbit in your headlights

    show lasted about an hour and 15 mins, so there is probably about 7 songs missing from my list.



    and to answer your question about Muse vs. Unkle at vegoose, Bryce. I dont know its a toss up as far as Im concerned. But, dont expect a dance party at Unkle...just sayin...
    ass on the grill

  23. #23
    old school superfiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    5,698

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    poop. im kinda leaning towards muse now. i dont even really like them much but their last album was solid, i like a few songs here and there and its at the same stage at rage :/ but ive wanted to see unkle forever so its like....shit
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

  24. #24
    Coachella Junkie luckyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,945

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Man, I don't know about any of you, but I can't fucking wait for Friday! It can't come soon enough. That clip has me even more pumped. The setlists have been pretty heavy on War Stories, but that is fine with me as I love the album. It would be great to hear more of Psyence Fiction, but unless Shadow is involved, it doesn't really bother me if the majority is skipped.
    For your health

  25. #25
    old school superfiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    5,698

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Man, I don't know about any of you, but I can't fucking wait for Friday! It can't come soon enough. That clip has me even more pumped. The setlists have been pretty heavy on War Stories, but that is fine with me as I love the album. It would be great to hear more of Psyence Fiction, but unless Shadow is involved, it doesn't really bother me if the majority is skipped.
    shadow dropped a ton of unkle at his coachella set this year, that about made me cream. i was in a terrible mood after his set delay but once i heard that rabbit in your headlights mashup with nursery rhyme breather it all went away
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    a vidya of the opener (which i dont know the name of)



    and i got two other videos but im kinda lazy right now to upload to youtube
    Last edited by Bosco; 10-21-2007 at 11:33 PM.
    ass on the grill

  27. #27
    Coachella Junkie luckyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    7,945

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Quote Originally Posted by superfiction View Post
    shadow dropped a ton of unkle at his coachella set this year, that about made me cream. i was in a terrible mood after his set delay but once i heard that rabbit in your headlights mashup with nursery rhyme breather it all went away
    As did I. The Bjork vs. Shadow pairing was so rough. I at least got to see a lot more of Shadow than I thought I would thanks to the delay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    a vidya of the opener (which i dont know the name of)

    That would be Chemistry. And I am impressed that you were able to film while being in the state you were in.

    Was Richard File there? I heard he was absent for the NYC date.
    For your health

  28. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    all i was doing was holding the camera above my head ( the sound board was behind me, its a very small venue.)

    After about the 4th song (Reign) the Metro crew yelled at me and told me I couldnt video tape. LAME

    Thats about when I got another drink and felt my brains turn into liquid.


    edit: the 4th song was burn my shadow, Reign was 3rd
    Last edited by Bosco; 10-21-2007 at 11:44 PM.
    ass on the grill

  29. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,664

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    Richard File, I dont know. Im really not sure what he looks like anyways...
    ass on the grill

  30. #30
    old school superfiction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Woodinville, WA
    Posts
    5,698

    Default Re: UNKLE - War Stories

    richard file sucks
    http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/

    Quote Originally Posted by OnlyNonStranger View Post
    I bet all those Canucks fans from last year would love it if Mumford & Sons headlined.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It is good rioting music.

Similar Threads

  1. Security Horror Stories?
    By Foppie in forum Past Experiences
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 03:47 PM
  2. funny co-worker stories
    By chairmenmeow47 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-27-2009, 12:12 PM
  3. UNKLE News!
    By luckyface in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. stories to the world
    By coach in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 11:31 AM
  5. Camping Horror Stories
    By clairmont in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 07:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •