Page 726 of 729 FirstFirst ... 721722723724725726727728729 LastLast
Results 21,751 to 21,780 of 21861

Thread: The Phoenix Thread!

Default Re: The Phoenix Thread!

Haboob
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Yeah, I hide more like 180 days a year.
    People are always surprised that I live in AZ and don't have more of a tan. Duh, we don't sit out in the sun around here. It's all about shade and running from one air conditioned location to the next from June to Sept.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

saturday april 13th and sunday april 14th from 10am-2pm the audubon arizona is having a migration celebration! free admission, fun for families. check out the link below. i'll be working that saturday until 1pm at the front desk.

http://riosalado.audubon.org/upcoming-events-2
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

...except you'll be at Coachella because we are stealing you away and making you go!
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

ugh, i really wish

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    ugh, i really wish
    Wishes can come true!!

I'm going to post this in here too: I landed two GA Sunday tickets to the McDowell Mountain Music Fest this weekend. I'm looking to trade them for Saturday tickets (and maybe some cash on top). Let me know if you're interested.

EDIT-Tickets sold.
    Last edited by westcoastpirate; 03-20-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

i know this is way far in advance, but i realized my birthday is on a saturday. june 1st. i know most people are planning for coachella right now, but is there anyone who like absolutely knows they can't make it because of travel or something? i'm thinking of renting out the clubhouse at my apartment. it has pool access, giant TV, bar area, and a pool table. might be more spacious than my prior parties. anyway, let me know.

Sounds fun Ivy, your birthday is the day after mine and is the same day as my childhood neighbor crush.

That said, we’re hitting up the Musical Instrument Museum next Friday (the 29th) during our very short stay in Phoenix. Anything we should know about the Museum other than showing up Friday afternoon and buying tickets?

i will be heading to minnesota, so you cannot tour the ivysaur exhibit

the museum is FUCKING HUGE. there is a thread about it in the arizona music forum. i spent hours in the africa room alone. the food is good. they have the rooms set up by continent/country. i expected all the instruments to be old, but a lot of them are newer. it is more about the different types of music from around the world. they have these cool headphones you wear the whole time you are there and whenever you walk by certain displays, music automatically plays. there is some video. i believe there might be sections for kids to play with stuff, but i could be wrong, i was pretty sick when i visited and almost passed out on the stairs, so my memory is dim. i just remember a tiny girl rocking an open piano.

also, they have a theatre which i have heard is pretty cool.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

i will be heading to minnesota
    May I ask what part and what for?
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

my dad is doing contract work at one of the power plants, i'm honestly not even sure where i'm staying lol.

the new retarded management company no longer rents out the clubhouse, booooo. they're going to make me get renter's insurance next time i renew and they got rid of the drop box for rent. i'm starting to dislike this place.

anyway, what are some options to rent out space for a party? i don't want to do the roller skate thing again since all my favourite dj's are out of state.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

my dad is doing contract work at one of the power plants, i'm honestly not even sure where i'm staying lol.
    Hopefully for your sake you'll in the Twin Cities. If you end up in the Duluth area shoot me a msg.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Bummer about the clubhouse not renting out anymore, Ivy.

the new retarded management company no longer rents out the clubhouse, booooo. they're going to make me get renter's insurance next time i renew and they got rid of the drop box for rent. i'm starting to dislike this place.

anyway, what are some options to rent out space for a party? i don't want to do the roller skate thing again since all my favourite dj's are out of state.
    I was told by the owner of stingers that he would have rented the back room to me for free for my birthday. They have kareoke and darts, with pool tables on the other side. It would just be the cost of drinks. But it's kind of a shit hole and far for everyone.

thanks, amy, it's so silly!!!

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I was told by the owner of stingers that he would have rented the back room to me for free for my birthday. They have kareoke and darts, with pool tables on the other side. It would just be the cost of drinks. But it's kind of a shit hole and far for everyone.
    well it's my party and people can drive if they want to. but i like the idea of a bar and not me providing the alcohol and having a dancefloor. we'll talk

and yeah, i don't really care where i am in minnesota, i just want to see my dad for his birthday. i have a feeling my mom will just want to go to the mall of america.

I kind of wished I had taken him up on it for my party. I ended up dropping almost $300 just on what I bought for food & drink and that was a potluck. Plus, I probably would have freaked out a bit less about people spilling shit on the floor.

Your party was great though, Audra.

it was great, but yeah, i remember i bought all the alcohol for my roller skate party years ago and spent a little over what you spent. it'd be cool to do another one of those, but it's only two hours and i'd want my awesome dj's to play. i'll be on the westside in the afternoon on saturday. let's talk about stingers over some scrabble

Sounds like a plan!

Also, I got travel scrabble for my birthday. YAYAYA

i know this is way far in advance, but i realized my birthday is on a saturday. june 1st. i know most people are planning for coachella right now, but is there anyone who like absolutely knows they can't make it because of travel or something? i'm thinking of renting out the clubhouse at my apartment. it has pool access, giant TV, bar area, and a pool table. might be more spacious than my prior parties. anyway, let me know.
    Kim and I will unfortunately be traveling then.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This is why you're a semi-employed cheetoh-munching fucktard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheClares View Post
    Kim and I will unfortunately be traveling then.
    boooooooooo

Anybody have recommendations on a Karoke bar for a Tuesday or Wed night? Preferably in Phoenix, Tempe, or South Scottsdale.

A new bar/venue in Scottsdale is opening this weekend, I don't like country music but I like Charlie Levy, Crescent Ballroom, and the Vig, so I imagine the Western will be a somewhat cool place. This sounds like a place TomAZ will be frequenting often:

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...d-opening.html

In the heart of the “West’s Most Western Town,” there’s a surprising shortage of honky-tonks.

In the downtown area, the Rusty Spur is one of the city’s most authentically Western bars, with a compact dance floor and live country music on most nights that draws regulars and tourists alike. Modern country-themed bars, including Saddle Ranch Chop House and Whiskey Row, which opens in July, are designed to cater to younger, partying crowds.

All of that changes Thursday, April 25, when the Western opens to the public in the space previously occupied by the long-running Sugar Shack Sports Grill.

Tucker Woodbury, who owns the Vig bars and the Little Woody in Phoenix, teams up once again with Stateside Presents promoter Charlie Levy for the bar, with Woodbury focusing on the bar and menus while Levy books the bands. The duo are partners of music venue Crescent Ballroom in downtown Phoenix.

Woodbury previously owned Scottsdale’s Rocking Horse, a Western bar that burned down in 1996. So this project, in a way, is like coming full circle for the entrepreneur.

“There was no hankering to open the Western when I got the place, but it just felt right, and it feels like a roadhouse in here,” he said. “It was always in the back of my mind to do a bar like this, because no one has really done it here in a real way. We’re aiming to provide more of an authentic experience, but this is not going to be your dad’s country bar.”

And that’s where Levy comes in, booking the acts. The Western will feature several resident acts during the week, including the Tony Martinez Band on Friday and Saturday nights.

“I am really, really excited about the lineup we have right now,” Levy said, “The Tony Martinez Band just blows me away. He is like the second coming of Waylon Jennings.”

Woodbury calls the music lineup roots music: classic and alt-country, blues, Americana, rock and swing. DJ Dana Armstrong, who spins old country records at the weekly music showcase Valley Fever at Yucca Tap Room in Tempe, will run a similar evening at the Western on Thursday nights. Sara Robinson and the Midnight Special will play their blues and country tunes on Sunday nights. Levy will bring in nationally touring bands two or three times a month for paid-ticket shows.

As with all of Woodbury’s concepts, there’s clear attention to detail in the Western’s decor. The bar is filled with wood accents, from the bar paneling to the stage to the walls. Most of the walls are clad in reclaimed “mushroom-wood” panels, named for the process of how the unique texture is created. Oak is submerged in mushroom-planting beds, giving it a tough, weathered look.

On another wall, Woodbury found a use for some old colored doors he kept in storage for six years, waiting for the right time to use them. The doors were cut into pieces and pieced together like a mismatched jigsaw puzzle. A well-worn couch and old church pews also find new life in the bar.

Iron bar stools, one of the very few things saved from the Rocking Horse fire, have been refinished and will line the bar, adding to the rustic country-meets-modern industrial feel. Caramel-colored faux-leather material featuring a raised Western pattern serves as the bar’s surface.

“This place is not meant to be crazy or over-the-top,” Woodbury said. “What you see is what you get.”

The cocktail menu will be heavy on simple whiskey cocktails, such as the Kentucky Mule, and craft beers. The kitchen will serve a full menu, with what Woodbury calls “good food that’s bad for you,” including brisket tacos, street corn and hush puppies.

Levy is looking forward to the possibilities of the Western.

“It’s a great location, and an alternative to the nightclub scene,” he said. “It will be a real country bar, and attract people from all over the Valley.... I’m excited for a place I can finally see good music in Scottsdale.”
    http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/upo...ern_in_old.php

Tucker Woodbury and Charlie Levy Bringing Country Joint The Western to Scottsdale
    There's certainly no dearth of hangouts in the Valley where cowboys, cowgirls, or anyone else sporting a western shirt can down something tall and strong, get in some two-stepping action, or just hear some ol' fashioned daggum country music, pardner. Off the top of our heads, we can name close to two-dozen down-home dives or other Southern-fried spots alone.
    Early next month, said list will have one more entry -- and a stylish one at that -- when the buckaroos behind The Vig, The Little Woody, and Crescent Ballroom open The Western in Scottsdale. Dreamt up by nightlife impresario Tucker Woodbury, who's partnering once again with concert promoter Charlie Levy, it's going to be a vintage roadhouse and country music venue with the heart of an old-school honky-tonk and plenty of style to boot.

The Western will be located in the old Sugar Shack sports bar located along Fifth Avenue, near the street's intersection with Indian School Road on the edge of Old Town Scottsdale (hence the establishment's cute subtitle, "Cowboys and Indian School").

The 54-year-old entrepreneur (who isn't kin to New Times music editor Jason P. Woodbury, by the way) told Up on the Sun that it's sort of a revival of the old Rocking Horse country bar he owned in the late '80s/early '90s, across from the equally rustic Coach House.

Much like his old joint, which was destroyed by fire in 1996, Woodbury will offer a vintage honky-tonk vibe, a calendar filled with rootsy musicians and country bands, and plenty of room to dance.

"Ever since . . . The Rocking Horse burned down, there really hasn't been a real-deal kind of Austin-esque roadhouse in the greater Phoenix area, with the exception of maybe Handlebar-J's," he says. "And when I use the phrase 'Austin-esque,' that's probably the best way to characterize it. Like a comfortably rough-and-tumble little roadhouse if nothing else, but nicely appointed. I've told people that what The Little Woody is to neighborhood dive bars, this will be to honky-tonks."

The now-defunct Sugar Shack in Scottsdale, which is being transformed into The Western.Woodbury adds that The Western, while stylish, will feel "legit" and not like "some franchised-out, brand-spanking-new" cowboy club.

"Its not a pop-country bar or the kind of country bar that's defined in this day and age," he says.

Woodbury is aiming to open during the first week of April and offer the same sort of Americana-laden musical menu as the Rocking Horse.

"It was a really cool venue," he says. "We did country on weekend and then programmed it with nationals. Brought in everybody from Son Volt, Wilco, Joe Ely, Michelle Shocked . . . all these really great bands. And this is just derivative of that. We're not doing anything new; we're not reinventing the wheel here. It's like, 'Okay, here's a chance to do kinda what we had some success doing 20 years ago."

He's already recruited local Tony Martinez and his country act, a staple of the Yucca Tap's Valley Fever night, to serve as his house band on weekends. Woodbury says that having Martinez and his band is one of the keys to the place.

"That kind of help drives the whole concept. I don't think we would've done the deal if we didn't know that we could bring Tony on and that there was a Tony Martinez out there," he says. "He kinda epitomizes what we're going after. You come into the place, dance on a hardwood dance floor to authentic country and [Western] swing music and have a great time."

Valley Fever resident DJ and promoter Dana Armstrong also will be developing a spin-off of her signature event (which will remain at the Yucca) for Thursday evenings at The Western, Woodbury says.

"We're giving her a night and she will sort of take and shape in her own way," he says. "It won't take the place of Valley Fever, but she's going to do a different version of it that will be similar in some respects."

He's also tapped the Valley's Sara Robinson and the Midnight Special to take over Sundays each week. Woodbury adds that in addition to the blues/roots/soul band, as well as Armstrong and Martinez's endeavors, The Western will fill its stage with local twang-filled acts in the Americana, roots, and alt-country vein and will make use of Levy's involvement to occasionally bring in national touring acts from those genres.

"We're really going to strive for things that fit the theme of the bar, like a Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, or Junior Brown, something like that, that would be off to the left-center of country yoke," he says. "I don't we'll do crazy indie stuff or anything like that. We'll do an occasional national [act] when it makes sense and it fits the room."
    Woodbury adds that teaming up with Levy was a no-brainer.

"Charlie and I are partners at Crescent, so when I decided to do this thing, I brought him on as a partner," Woodbury says. "He books the music, and that's his specialty. He loves that kind of music -- we both kind of do -- and think this will resonate with country music fans in the Valley."

He's been hankering to open a venue such as The Western for years but was waiting to find a suitable building. He found it when the Sugar Shack closed last year.

"I love the fact that we're located on the fringe [of Scottsdale]. It kind of works in support of what we're doing, this little roadhouse that's in Scottsdale but not. It's a kind of romantic notion," Woodbury says. "It's a neat old building. It's got a soul. There haven't been a lot of successful businesses in there, but there's still something about it when you walk in. There have been a lot of good times in that building, and I'm sure there's going to be a whole lot more. It's just one of those kind of joints."

Like Woodbury's other projects, the décor will be a pastiche of metro and retro, which in this case will also be infused with a well-worn Western bent. When describing The Western's look, the 54-year-old uses phrases like "rough-hewn" and "rustic and industrial," mentions that there's antique-looking mushroom wood and other shabby-chic elements involved (like old benches, vintage booths, and found objects), and sums it up as "kind of like if a country bar was opened in an automobile garage."

He also hauled some old metal bar stools that survived the fire at the Rocking Horse out of storage and had them cleaned, restored, and reupholstered with cowhide.

"As you walk into the lounge at Crescent, there's the feel where there's some nice elements in place, but it's not too slick. And that's kind of the same deal you'll find here," Woodbury says. "People should expect exactly what they've come to expect from things that we work on. Really good service, a cool comfortable vibe, great sound, and really good bands both national and local. That's what we try to do, create spaces that are real and authentic. And I think The Western will be like that as well."

This thread feels dead. Can we change it to Phoenix the band thread now? And fuck a new western bar.

I think that means we should plan a happy hour soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Yes to happy hour! I get paid next Thursday. lol. Coachella sucked up all of my cash.

(edit: sorry for the blasphemy -- just really loving the new Phoenix album. It's on repeat in my car CD player at the request of my daughters)
    Last edited by amyzzz; 04-26-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Hey Phoenix people that aren't on my facebook or on Sparks' facebook or whatever. Sparks found a kitten that needs a home.

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Bump...

So our family lives in Phoenix District 6. We have a total douche as our representative for City Council, Sal DiCiccio. In the last election for City Council they had a runoff between him and the other candidate because the race was so close, and I had no idea who either one was so we opted not to vote. I have been regretting that decision ever since DiCiccio was elected. I never thought I would have to interact with a City Council member on much of anything, but soon after DiCiccio took office Valley Metro proposed to eliminate the express bus route I used to take to work. I sent his office numerous emails asking him to oppose the reduction, and he was non responsive. Everyone that lived in his district that used the route for commuting was urged to contact him. We sent him petitions signed by all the riders. A couple people even went to some of his community meetings to talk with him about it. DiCiccio brushed them off and said he wanted to repeal the food tax. We also had a pretty cool neighborhood circulator that ran through our neighborhood and throughout Ahwatukee. I would say we live in one of the oldest, probably lowest income areas of Ahwatukee and DiCiccio worked with Valley Metro and a coalition of citizens from Ahwatukee (which I am almost certain didn't include anyone from our neighborhood) to figure out a revised route for the neighborhood circulator that basically eliminated service for our neighborhood. I'm lucky that I have a car, but now the closest bus stop to our home is a little over a mile. I know, some of you are probably like, whatever, but when you move to an area based on the mass transit infrastructure it is a big deal when it is taken away.

Everyone I know that has worked with DiCiccio said he is the worst, and pretty much just wants to eliminate all city services and privatize everything. He is an obstructionist, and votes no on issues where all other city council members vote yes just to say, "Look, I voted no", even though it doesn't mean anything. DiCiccio's reelection campaign is primarily funded by lobbyists and developers. DiCiccio is a rich former developer who decided to run for office. Oh, and he's also supported by the Tea Party.

I've been looking forward to the upcoming election to cast my vote for Karlene Keogh-Parks, who is running against DiCiciccio. Lately I have seen a bunch of signs popping up on public property where the election banners are, that say Developers Support Sal DiCiccio and Lobbyists Support Sal DiCiccio. I've been chuckling to myself when I pass those signs, but my wife is like, "What's that all about? I can't figure out if this is for or against DiCiccio's campaign." I found out in an article this morning that the signs were put up by the public service unions since DiCiccio is obviously opposed to all unions and any cost of living increases for public service workers like firefighters and police. I'm really bummed since I think the money from the unions could have been used a little better to promote Keogh-Parks or just put up signs that are clearer about either the positive aspects of Keogh-Parks or the negative aspects of DiCiccio.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...igns-beat.html

Anways, TL;DR, if you live in Phoenix and in District 6, please vote for Karlene Keogh-Parks.