Page 719 of 729 FirstFirst ... 714715716717718719720721722723724 ... LastLast
Results 21,541 to 21,570 of 21861

Thread: The Phoenix Thread!

Default Re: The Phoenix Thread!

RICHARD CARMONA FOR SENATE

He's in a dead heat with Jeff Flake right now. Flake is a bizarro-world tea party mormon. Carmona is a moderate who has broad bipartisan support - he was Bush2's Surgeon General. Puerto Rican heritage, born in the Bronx, dropped out of high school, then wound up getting his GED, college degree, and MD. His time as Surgeon General was not pleasant:

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    On July 10, 2007, Carmona, along with former Surgeons General C. Everett Koop and David Satcher, testified before the United States House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform about political and ideological interference with the Surgeon General's mission. Carmona accused the Bush Administration of preventing him from speaking out on certain public health issues such as embryonic stem cell research, global climate change, emergency contraception, and abstinence-only sex education, where the Administration's political stance conflicted with scientific and medical opinion.

Carmona also testified that the Bush Administration had attempted for years to "water down" his report on the dangers of secondhand smoke and pressured him not to testify in the tobacco industry's racketeering trial: "Anything that doesn't fit into the political appointees' ideological, theological or political agenda is ignored, marginalized or simply buried." According to Carmona, he was even ordered not to attend the Special Olympics because the event was sponsored by the Kennedy family, and was told to mention President Bush three times on every page of his speeches. The Washington Post subsequently identified William R. Steiger as the Bush Administration official who had blocked release of Carmona's report on global health because it conflicted with the Administration's political priorities.

Reuters reported that Carmona's predecessors as Surgeon General had acknowledged the high level of political interference he experienced, saying: "We have never seen it as partisan, as malicious, as vindictive, as mean-spirited as it is today, and you clearly have worse than anyone's had."
    You know the Mormon inbreds will rally their pasty white Borg to generate a lot of votes for Flake, whose ancestors have been bossing people around in Arizona for 100 years (the town of Snowflake, Az, is named for his family). It is time to show the country that Arizona is not ruled exclusively by the freaks, that we have a majority of sensible people who will vote in a thoughtful, balanced man over an extremist fucktard. Carmona's record speaks for itself, all we have to do is point it out to our friends and coworkers and neighbors. Some of them might be swayed by the facts.

He's got my vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    In his defense I do remember there being an upsurge of black coworker on white coworker exlaxings in LA after Rodney King.

I am asking for more than your vote, Rick. I am asking that you become active. All that's required is telling people the facts.

Flake was educated at Brigham Young University and was a Mormon missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to South Africa in the early 1980s. He worked in the public affairs sector after college and served as Executive Director of the Foundation for Democracy in Namibia and Executive Director of the Goldwater Institute before entering the House of Representatives. He lobbied against economic sanctions on South Africa's apartheid regime in the 1980s.
    In his campaign in 2000, Flake had pledged to serve no more than three terms in Congress, leaving no later than January 2007, but in early 2005, shortly after being elected for a third time, Flake announced that he had changed his mind and would in fact run for re-election in 2006. "It was a mistake to limit my own terms," Flake said
    one of eight House members to receive a 100% approval rating from the American Conservative Union. Flake voted against the Troubled Asset Relief Program ("TARP")
    In December 2010, Flake was one of fifteen Republican House members to vote in favor of repealing the United States military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" ban on openly gay service members. Flake had voted to amend the U.S. Constitution to ban same-sex marriage with a Federal Marriage Amendment in 2004 and 2006.
    In contrast, Dr Carmona:

Throughout my time as U.S. Surgeon General, I remained steadfast in my belief that every woman should have access to comprehensive health care, including retaining access to reproductive health care options and FDA-approved prescription contraceptives.

As a medical doctor, I know that a woman’s access and choice of reproductive health care options is an intensely personal decision left best decided by a woman and her physician. I also believe it is important to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies in the United States through supporting medically-accurate, comprehensive sex education for our kids, taking steps to prevent teen pregnancy and providing access to pre-natal care for all women.
    Arizona’s education system routinely ranks near the bottom of the nation. That’s unforgivable, and we need to fix it. In recent years, the political extremists who control Arizona’s legislature have cut more than $1 billion from our schools and they fail to see that their actions will have crippling economic consequences for our future. We need to ensure that our students are prepared to lead the world in innovation, research, and technology. It’s time we reset our priorities and ensure that education remains at the top. That starts with protecting and reinvesting in our public schools.
    We need to overhaul our immigration laws and support a comprehensive approach that is practical, tough and fair. That means securing the border, cracking down on drug and human smuggling, punishing companies who knowingly hire illegal immigrants, and eliminating a nefarious labor market that exploits those living in the shadows of our society. We should also pass the DREAM Act that creates a path to legalization for children, who, through no fault of their own, were brought into this country at a young age, have worked hard and are either going to college or have enlisted in the military.
    http://www.carmonaforarizona.com/get-involved/volunteer

Thanks for the fact tidbits, Tom. I'm on Carmona's Facebook page at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

The Master and Samara are playing in theatres this weekend! Samsara has actually already been playing the Valley Art this week, but I just found out.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

I saw Samsara last Saturday, and it really is amazing.

And I'll also add that the moon looked really cool over Mezzza on Tuesday.

So it's perfect patio weather and I need an escape, if anyone is interested there is a group of us getting together in Tempe tomorrow for happy hour. Macayo's in Tempe. I will probably be there around 3:30 or 4:00, if anyone else wants to come hang out please do.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    And I'll also add that the moon looked really cool over Mezzza on Tuesday.

All this week its been super rad. Ive noticed it at least 3 times. Super low crescent moon almost an orange color.

Hey, all. My office is looking for a front desk receptionist/clerical person. If anyone is looking for a job in that area, or knows anyone, hit me up. We are located in downtown Scottsdale.

Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    Hey, all. My office is looking for a front desk receptionist/clerical person. If anyone is looking for a job in that area, or knows anyone, hit me up. We are located in downtown Scottsdale.
    From the Open Letters to Specific Organizations thread...

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    haha

Dear Common Sense:

Because I am too fucking nice and couldn't quit prior to my coworker taking her long planned 2.5 week vacation. Being nice is a bitch! But I am looking so if you know anyone who needs some office help, hook a girl up!

Sincerely,
    Nice girls finish last
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

September 26, 2012
    Small-Town Politics, All-Out War

By TAMARA AUDI

QUARTZSITE, Ariz.—This tiny desert outpost is known for 70-degree winters, an annual gem show that draws thousands of visitors, and a nudist bookstore owner who conducts business in little more than flip-flops and a straw hat.

But these days, the town's most extraordinary feature is its politics.

For months, officials in Quartzsite—which lies about halfway between Phoenix and Palm Springs, Calif., on Interstate 10—have so far refused to allow the mayor-elect to take office because he owes the town $2,200 in attorney's fees.

In late August, the town manager put the police chief on paid administrative leave pending an investigation over allegations involving a time sheet. A few days later, the town council suspended the town manager for undisclosed reasons—after the town's attorney filed a restraining order against the town council to stop it meeting.

The town manager said she couldn't comment on her suspension because "no one gave me a reason."

In September, the assistant town manager fired the police chief without consulting the town council, according to other town officials. Days later, the interim town manager reversed the chief's firing, and suspended the assistant town manager pending an investigation into an undisclosed matter. The assistant manager couldn't be reached for comment. On Tuesday, the town council voted to put the police chief back on the job.

"We're calling this the Twilight Zone in Quartzsite," said Ed Foster, the elected, but so far unseated, mayor who has filed a complaint in superior court to force the town to install him. Mr. Foster, 70 years old, began humming the music from the television show, and said, "Every day we get up and ask, 'What's going to happen today?'"

On Tuesday night, Mr. Foster's lawyer said an attorney hired by the town called to discuss a potential settlement deal that would include seating Mr. Foster as mayor. The deal hasn't been finalized yet, said his lawyer, Julie LaBenz. If a deal isn't reached, she said Mr. Foster will move ahead with a court hearing due next week.

The interim town manager, Laura Bruno, said Wednesday a lawyer for the town briefed the town council in closed session about Mr. Foster's case. Ms. Bruno said the council made no decision on a settlement deal, and would still have to vote to seat Mr. Foster. She said the intent of the attorney was "to open a line of communication with Mr. Foster's attorney."

The turmoil caught the attention of state and federal officials. The Arizona Department of Public Safety has investigated corruption complaints against town officials four times in the past two years and recently began a fifth probe of the police chief over the alleged false filing of a time sheet, a Department of Public Safety spokesman said. The chief, Jeff Gilbert, has denied any wrongdoing.

The attorney for La Paz County, which includes Quartzsite, said he asked the Federal Bureau of Investigation to investigate town officials for possible corruption. An FBI spokesman said he couldn't confirm or deny any probe.

The unrest boils down to a struggle between two groups: on one side, some current and former town leaders who say they are being targeted by activists who oppose development; on the other side, activists and the mayor-elect who claim city officials are hiding corruption and targeting them for criticizing town leaders. In interviews, the officials have denied the accusations.

The standoff has divided the town and set its residents on edge. "You just feel it's a powder keg in Quartzsite, and something is going to set it off," said Shelly Baker, recorder for La Paz County.

Isolated on the western edge of Arizona, Quartzsite was once a mining area and way station for travelers, later becoming popular with retirees for its mild winters. Its population jumps to 100,000 in the winter from 3,500 the rest of the year.

Political intrigue in the town dates back to at least 1995, when the then-mayor was convicted of hiring a hit man to try to kill his political rival. His conviction was overturned, and he was back in office six months later.

In 2005, Mr. Foster, a retired engineer for gum-maker Wrigley, moved to Quartzsite from Chicago and successfully ran for mayor in 2010 on a platform of financial transparency.

After he was elected, Mr. Foster asked state police to investigate the city's police chief, saying he improperly used vacation time. Mr. Gilbert countered by asking state officials to investigate Mr. Foster and his allies for allegedly manufacturing evidence against him. Town residents and former police employees have accused Mr. Gilbert of harassing, firing or arresting them due to their political views. Mr. Gilbert denies that and calls the accusations "a conspiracy against me" by some town officials and disgruntled employees who want to take control of the police department.

The state's attorney general has declined to prosecute anyone in Quartzsite as a result of state investigations because of insufficient evidence, a spokeswoman for the office said.

Last year, an ally of Mr. Foster's, Jennifer Jones, was arrested by Mr. Gilbert while speaking during a raucous town council meeting. Ms. Jones, who owns Furry Friends Pet Spa, has been arrested five times since she began running for town council in 2010. All of the charges were eventually dropped.

Ms. Jones, who runs a newspaper and website critical of the town and the police chief, said she is "livid" that the chief has been reinstated. "We feel betrayed," said Ms. Jones, who is suing the police chief and other town officials in federal court over her arrests. Ms. Jones says the chief harassed her and her husband because they were critical of him and his political allies. The chief denies the allegations and says his arrests of Ms. Jones and her husband had nothing to do with politics.

Opponents unseated Mr. Foster in a 2011 recall election. He fought the recall in court, lost and was ordered to pay the town $2,200 in attorney fees. He refused to pay.

This year, Mr. Foster ran a new campaign and was elected mayor in June. Town officials said he couldn't take office due to a local ordinance that bars anyone owing the town money from office. He says he shouldn't have to pay, as the town attorney shouldn't have appeared in court against him, and the ordinance exceeds state requirements. The attorney, who officials say is on sick leave, couldn't be reached for comment.

Some in Quartzsite say they see an end to the unrest. "Our town council is coming together and is really trying to work as a team to move things forward," said Ms. Bruno, the interim town manager.

Mr. Foster said even if he is seated, he will sue the town for its appointment of a chair and vice chair for council meetings, which he says weakens his power. "This fight's not over," he said Tuesday. The interim manager said the town has the right to appoint them.

Business owners just want the fighting to end before the busy winter season. "It's an embarrassment to our town," said Paul Winer, the nudist owner of Reader's Oasis bookstore.

—James Oberman contributed to this article.
    Write to Tamara Audi at tammy.audi@wsj.com

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

hahahha, i spent the night on a bench in the police station there waiting for my parents. so close to the border, fucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I can't get a link to work but this just happened...

Fox News Just Showed a Man Shoot Himself in the Head Outside of Phoenix on Live TV (Video)

By Matthew Hendley

A car chase that started in Phoenix just ended with the man shooting himself in the head, which was broadcast live on Fox News.The man had apparently stolen a car before heading west, and as you... More >>

Phoenixnewtimes.com

I noticed that the other cable news networks didn't have this problem, likely because they concluded that an in-progress car chase in Phoenix, Arizona, is not a matter of national importance.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

They were probably hoping the guy was an illegal.

Lol. Every time I read the comments threads for crime stories in local media sources, one of the first comments from the proletariat is inevitably "I bet the perp was an illegal immigrant."
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Anyone want to go watch the Cardinals game with us somewhere downtown?
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Ok, we're going to Angels Trumpet Ale House after werk if anyone wants to join. I've been wanting to go there for a minute.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Damn school! I would have joined you all.

Ditch day!

how bout downtown fountain hills

I can't afford the gas to get down there.

Hey TomAz, thought you might be interested in this:

http://www.carmonaforarizona.com/early-vote

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    Sad thing is that they offered 2,050,000 that the guys declined because they were asking 2,200,000. Now with all the media attention they can essentially hold the thing ransom and ask whatever they damn well please.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    Hey TomAz, thought you might be interested in this:

http://www.carmonaforarizona.com/early-vote
    Yeah, I'm gonna be out of town though.

Yeah, I'm gonna be out of town though.
    Rough!