Page 4 of 729 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Phoenix Thread!

Default Re: The Phoenix Thread

'International schools' idea dies; legislators describe plan as un-American
    Pat Kossan
    The Arizona Republic
    Jun. 20, 2007 12:00 AM

Everyone agrees: The world is shrinking.

Businesses need people skilled in world languages and economics. The government has gaping holes in diplomacy and intelligence. Universities are begging for more students with sophisticated learning.

It all gives credence to a bill in the Arizona Legislature to create international schools to help make students globally competitive.

But, in the end, the bill died. As its supporters learned, "international" is a dirty word among some at the Capitol.

Key leaders there suggested the bill was un-American and part of a slippery slope to a U.N. takeover and the end of U.S. sovereignty.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Mark Anderson, R-Mesa, would have put three K-12 schools in the northern, central and southern parts of the state, where kids would begin a second language in kindergarten, and set up new international programs at seven high schools. Big business and universities pledged to partner with the schools. First-year costs would have been $2.3 million, or less than 0.02 percent of the proposed state budget.

Wisconsin, Kansas and Ohio have launched similar programs.

The bill took some twists and turns:

• Some Arizona legislators were so opposed to the bill that supporters changed the name from international schools to American competitiveness project schools to appease them.

That didn't sway Sen. Ron Gould, a Lake Havasu City Republican.

"What I'm assuming is that they changed the name, trying to get us to be less objectionable, as if, you know, a rose by any other name is not as sweet," said Gould, a member of the Senate's K-12 Education Committee. "There's a lot of us here who are not internationalists. These schools actually have kind of a United Nations flavor to them, and we're actually into educating Americans into Americanism, not internationalism."

• Sen. Karen Johnson, a Mesa Republican and chairwoman of the K-12 Education Committee, never let the proposal out of committee. Johnson instead brought in a professor from Bethany Lutheran College in Mankato, Minn., to educate lawmakers on the dangers of a popular international studies program, the International Baccalaureate. The 37-year-old high school program offers rigorous courses and diploma programs in schools worldwide, including 759 in the United States and 12 in Arizona. Its goals are intercultural understanding, community service and preparation for university work.

"The International Baccalaureate is un-American," Allen Quist, who served in the Minnesota Legislature in the 1980s and ran for Minnesota governor as a Republican in 1994, said in a phone interview. He said that International Baccalaureate's links to the United Nations are disturbing and that its sense of right and wrong is ambiguous.

It teaches students to see the American system of government as one of many, not as the only one that protects universal and God-given rights to property, to bear arms and free speech, Quist said.

• To get around Johnson, supporters took the proposal to the Senate's Higher Education Committee. The proposal eventually reached the House Appropriations Committee, which helps decide what bills get funded and how much. There, it ran into Rep. Russell Pearce, a Mesa Republican. Pearce recalled this week that his research on international schools in general found them to be dangerous, and he suggested their agenda was tied to the U.N., not America.

"Our schools ought to be focusing on education that we, as Americans, espouse," Pearce said. "We ought to concentrate on United States history and United States heroes."

So the bill did not survive its first round in the Legislature. Instead, a measure was put in the state budget authorizing Tom Horne, Arizona superintendent of public instruction, to seek private donations for such a program. Horne said he didn't need the authorization and plans to bring the proposal back for state funding next year. In the meantime, he'll look for private and federal grants to move the project ahead.

Horne has some experienced allies, including Richard Mackney, a 1977 graduate of the Thunderbird School of Global Management in Glendale who has spent 30 years in international business, mostly with Goodrich Corp. He volunteered to help the Arizona Department of Education develop the schools proposal.

Like principals, teachers and students in international studies, he was surprised at some lawmakers' attitudes.

The value of the proposal is that average students could start in kindergarten learning a world language and preparing to enter rigorous international studies, he said.

Universities and businesses have promised to use these Arizona schools as laboratories for school reform, sending scholars to help teachers and creating internships to help students build careers. Then, businesses such as Goodrich, Intel and American Express could find executives they need in Arizona and not look elsewhere, he said.

"Then, we say, 'Hey, Arizona state Senate, what were you talking about, that this internationalism destroys Arizona?' " Mackney said. " 'We've just shown you that you were wrong.' "
    Discuss. Also, let's see how many synonyms for 'stupid motherfuckers' we can come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by happypappy420 View Post
    how about the Electric Ballroom? That place was my favorite. Social D, Helmet, Anthrax..... ahh the good old days.
    OMG I forgot all about that place.

That was after the goldrush right? Now it's a bike shop or something, i just drove by it last week.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Banned

*groan*

My God...

Wow.

I'm not even sure what to say about that article-and the obviously stupid motherfuckers that have been elected to run our state's legislature.....typical paranoid right-wing Mesa Mormon conservatives. "Key leaders there suggested the bill was un-American and part of a slippery slope to a U.N. takeover and the end of U.S. sovereignty." Can they seriously be that stupid?

One thing I will say is that I don't understand why they would have introduced a bill such as that in the first place. From what I have gathered, it's very easy to start a charter school in this state. Charter schools DO get some state funding. And, if they have lots of donations being offered, those monies should cover a lot of their costs.

My daughter goes to a very liberal-arts oriented preperatory academy. Their focus is more on literature, art, history, community service, language, etc. She's taking her second year of Latin-which is a requirement for that school (a foreign language every year). Unamerican? No. Unconventional? A little. But 93% of the kids that graduate from that jr high/high school go to college. Quite above the average.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

where does your daughter go to school? if it's ok to ask?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    where does your daughter go to school? if it's ok to ask?
    Of course it's ok to ask!!

Tempe Preparatory Academy

They also have a Chandler Prep and they're opening a Mesa Prep this fall (out in East Mesa). It's a great school, very community oriented, only 20 kids per class, and they have a very socratic-style way of teaching.

Learning latin is cool.

Learning latin is cool.

She loves taking it. It's pretty funny to hear her dissect words that she hears: "That word is dirivitive of the Latin word xxx, which means blah blah blah".

I have been fairly insistent on my daughters taking foreign language class as soon as it's offered. they dont mind though, they enjoy it.

What grade are they in?

You're in FH-I'm guessing the schools there are pretty decent ?

one daughter just finished 9th, the other just finished 6th

the schools are ok. I haven't found anything really substantial to complain about. Good curriculum for the most part, and of course your usual mix of good and bad teachers.

Whew, Tom, 2 teenage daughters; wow. I'm ready to slit my wrists over one!

well the younger one is only 11, but, yeah, it's quite a trip. They're both good kids though, so I have it easier than many do.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Of course it's ok to ask!!

Tempe Preparatory Academy

They also have a Chandler Prep and they're opening a Mesa Prep this fall (out in East Mesa). It's a great school, very community oriented, only 20 kids per class, and they have a very socratic-style way of teaching.
    Holy shit. That sounds awesome. If I still live here in 7 years or so, maybe that school will be around.

And fuck fuck FUCK Karen Johnson! That bitch needs to die a slow, excruciatingly painful death. I disagree with every opinion I hear from her (with very few exceptions).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

They're trying to be strategic in their expansion, so I wouldn't be suprised if they are all over the valley by the time your kid hits 7th grade.

There's some inconveniences since it's a charter school-no P.E. (so they are required to participate in one team sport a year-which costs money), no cafeteria so they have to bring their own lunch (although they have microwaves in their student union) but the trade off is a much better, well rounded education. No one slips through the cracks there-it's practically impossible. I've been really impressed with them, and I'm a pretty tough critic.

I send my kids to lunch with school everyday anyway. As far as PE....I'm not real big into sports, so I kind of let school deal with that. I guess I should be more proactive though. I believe Yablo suggested getting them into some kind of martial art. I can't remember which though.

Quote Originally Posted by (State) Sen. Ron Gould
    we're actually into educating Americans into Americanism
    Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Hey! (State) Sen. Ron Gould doesn't post here!

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I send my kids to lunch with school everyday anyway. As far as PE....I'm not real big into sports, so I kind of let school deal with that. I guess I should be more proactive though. I believe Yablo suggested getting them into some kind of martial art. I can't remember which though.
    My sister has both of her girls in karate. They do it through Young Champions. It's like $5 a week per kid or something like that. Anyway, they both love it-the older one has been doing it for a long time and she's getting pretty high up-she's strong as hell and she totally kicked the shit out of me one day. Mine did soccer through them a couple of years ago. She decided she's too prissy for soccer though-now she plays volleyball on the school team.

You can also find sport leagues through the Parks and Recreation Department-they have softball and soccer and stuff.

This is going on too. Not that anybody listens to the radio anymore. Except sad sacks stuck on freeways all the fucking time. Sad sacks like me.

Quote Originally Posted by mob roulette View Post
    This is going on too. Not that anybody listens to the radio anymore. Except sad sacks stuck on freeways all the fucking time. Sad sacks like me.
    Ever since its debut, KZON has become a ratings liability for CBS Radio and has not performed well in the market. This has sparked rumors of a possible format flip to Rhythmic Contemporary and already the messageboard website Radioinsight has posted a logo that might point to these speculations becoming reality.[1]on June 21, 2007 at 5:00 PM Phoenix time, KZON begin it stunting phase with an sterotypical Homosexual guy name Renaldo taking over the station and play music from Paris Hilton trying to get Paris out of jail (because Paris Hilton is in Jail to serve her 23 day jail sentence. Paris Hilton will be release from Jail on June 25). the website of the station had a link on the main page, which had the words Free Paris written in pink on the site. meaning all of the "Free FM" links on the site– were deleted. the link redirected to the "Free Paris" Petition website.
    that's either a great wikipedia hoax, or a shitty piece of shit radio.

that's either a great wikipedia hoax, or a shitty piece of shit radio.
    No it's been on all night. It's for real.

Jesus Christ. That's horrible.

It's like when Super Snake locked himself into the Power 92 studio and played Paula Abdul's "Cold Hearted Snake" for 18 hours straight 15-some years ago. I am so ashamed of my town right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by **NaNcY** View Post
    Phoenix the band?

I haven't listened to regular radio in a year and half. Except to check traffic from Detour Dan, who sucks, so I'm not sure why I bother.

I think, once upon a time, 93.3 did a radio hoax on April Fools Day that involved the DJ's locking themselves in the studio and screaming that "wild injuns" were trying to take over their station. People were calling the cops and everything. I hear they got in a lot of trouble.

I used to listen to those guys at night on KZON on the way home from work (Big O and Dukes I think they called themselves). Then my shift changed, and I stopped listening. They were funny though.

I heard Tom Lykus was a big fat pig of a lawsuit waiting to happen; I didn't listen but I heard rumblings about what an asshole he was.

I was the lil' fella that did P Moneys Music lounge during lil' fella radio on the Big O and Dukes show. It sucks how bad radio is.

Quote Originally Posted by La Ferrassie View Post
    I was the lil' fella that did P Moneys Music lounge during lil' fella radio on the Big O and Dukes show. It sucks how bad radio is.
    What are you going to do now?

You were a li'l fella? I don't remember you specifically, and I haven't listened since probably January. That's cool though. Yesterday was the summer solstice. Did they get tattoos of each other for not losing the weight or not getting 4-pack abs? Anyone know?