Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Treasure Island Festival

Default Re: Treasure Island Festival

Anyone else going solo to this thing tomorrow? I don't know how I feel about going by myself.

I really wanted to go to this thing and see Gotan Project and Thievery Corporation. Have fun all of you who go.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Woohoo! Just got back! Treasure Island Festival was a smashing success! AWESOME!! Ghostland Observatory RAWKS!

Review, pictures, audio forthcoming.

Gotan Project was fucking amazing today! I'm so glad I got another chance to see them after missing them at Coachella.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

M.I.A killed it yesterday. I enjoyed a lot of the acts, but she stole the show.

It was freezing. Shadow and Chemist played the same set from Hollywood Bowl. The lady in Thievery Corporation had a broken ankle. Today will be the better day, I presume. I ate a burned knish. There are video games and a ferris wheel.

Here's Brad in front of Jack's friend's electric sunflowers:

Here's Brad considering the Hypha:

Here's Brad in front of the Ferris Wheel:

Here's Brad listening to Gotan Project:

I'll try to get more good ones of Brad doing stuff today.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsblend420 View Post
    I couldn't resist so here is a little gem for you. This is how much ghostland observatory fucking kicks ass.
    That is a great picture! So Ghostland were really that good eh?

They are one of the few acts I am actually looking forward to on Sunday at Vegoose.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I'm doing the load out at the festival. My call time isnt til 10 pm but i still wanna show up in time to see Built to Spill.

Anyone go see BTS at the Independent last night?

My Treasure Island Festival Review:

First I just want to say "Two thumbs up to APE". They put on an excellent festival! Especially for its an inaugural year.

The Festival: We drove up from San Jose and took BART in. From BART we walked to the Transbay Terminal and took the MUNI 108 to the island. We had no problems whatsoever getting there or getting back. Got to the festival just as Zion-I was starting. Treasure Island was an awesome place for a festival and I think they handled the logistics of it excellent. There was no parking allowed on the island which meant no insane traffic jams on the bridge. They had a ton of shuttles and extra MUNI busses. Awesome. The whole area was quite small and as such was perfect for the two stages to have alternating sets because you could hear everything from the main stage just fine from the other stage. They also did great on the beer garden. You weren't hemmed in like a prisoner while you drank your beer. You could take your alcohol and walk around and actually listen to music. TWO THUMBS UP! They had plenty of food/drink booths so there was no waiting. They had a good amount of toilets all day and the longest I waited for a toilet was 5 minutes. They also did a great job of keeping eveything clean. There were plenty of trash cans and they did what coachella did last year with the trade in program and took it to another level. They had an incentive program where by the number of beer cups and other plastic that you turned in you could get free stuff from CD's to concert tickets. I saw lots of people rooting through the garbage cans looking for plastic like homeless people. Kind of funny but the whole place was spic and span all day/night. Everything was great. The whole thing I didnt like was people allspread out with their blankets and shit like 20 feet from the main stage. It left no room for people who wanted to watch the show. There were people stepping all over the place trying to get towards the stage. We got stuck in a dead end and decided to sit for a bit and this girl next to me starts making a huge fuss about me bumping into her while she is all spread out taking about 12 sqft of space just for herself the conversation went something like this:

Her: Stop bumping into me.
    Me: Sorry.
    A little bit later...
    Her: If you dont stop fucking bumping into my I am going to elbow you in the ribs.
    Me: Have you ever been to a fucking festival before? I wouldn't be bumping into you if you would pack your shit up and make room for all the people trying to get by you.
    Her: I've been here all day with no problems.
    Me: Well that shit might have worked earlier but there is a considerable more amount of people here now. If you want some space take that shit to the back of the crowd.
    Her: Don't bump into me.
    Me: Get an attitude adjustment.

Here are some shots from the Island towards SF:
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5294.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5292.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5290.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5100.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5078.jpg

Panoramic video:
    http://www.sharebig.com/d/snsvxtpnu/...I_5308.avi.htm

Zion-I: Awesome. Every single artist at Rock The Bells wishes they were as good as Zion-I. He did the one thing that almost nobody did at RTB and that was: actually play beats. Zion-I's awesomeness was so great that at one point it shorted out the whole stage. And while they waited for the power to come back they entertained the crowd with some freestyles and getting the crowd clapping in unison. At one point DJ Amp was using something to make beats (I dont know what it was) but he transfered it to a PSP and was up on stage making beats on this PSP while Zion was freestyling. Wait let me say that again: MAKING BEATS ON A PSP. It was so rad.
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5059.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5062.jpg

Ghostland Observatory: Yes! They fucking killed it! Best show of the day in my opinion. I had never heard them and they blew me the fuck away. I taped the show but something happened after. I don't know what. But I all I was left with was a small sample. The recording came out really good and if I had completed it man I would have been so proud. Oh well. They are officially on my "Can't Miss" list and I think they would do great in the Sahara at '08.
    Here are some pics:
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5119.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5126.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5133.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5143.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5148.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5155.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5162.jpg
    Video:
    http://www.sharebig.com/d/srrpipihm/...I_5116.avi.htm

Honeycutt: They had a decent sound. I guess they were a local band. They weren't too shabby. It was fun to listen to while browsing the merch tables. Oh, they had 3 booths of people selling concert prints and nobody had a daft poster from the Greek. Lame.

DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist: They were OK. I was taping the beginning but about 15 minutes in I had to go to the bathroom so we bailed. We watched the rest of their set from the second stage. From what I heard DJ Shadow is kind of meh. Glad I didnt stay too long.

Flosstradamus: We got front row for this. It was pretty fun. They had some good beats. They played One More Time and I could also hear some Justice in one of their mixes but they never fully brought it out. Good Times.
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5237.jpg
    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0/IMG_5256.jpg

Gotan Project: Only heard them from the second stage. But it did make me want to tango really bad. They had a good, chill sound.

Kinky: Wasn't sure quite what to expect. The girl next to me was super excited though. They put on a great show with lots of energy. I was front row for this again. Their bass player kicks fucking ass. The recording came out a little bit muffled, probably because of being front row.

Thievery Corp: Didnt see them as the girlfriend was ready to go home. Plus we were way in the back when they started oh well. Honestly, after seeing Ghostland Observatory nothing else that day mattered.
    Last edited by Wheres the beef?; 09-16-2007 at 03:49 PM.

I like that Brad has basically the same expression in all of those pictures.

Here are some shots from the Island towards SF
    Oh ow. That just made my heart hurt.

I like Thievery Corp's music but jeez louise the must be boring as fuck live

Quote Originally Posted by mob roulette View Post
    + 17.5

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    I like Thievery Corp's music but jeez louise the must be boring as fuck live
    You'all missed out, Thievery Corporation was great live!! Very upbeat, with a HUGE setup. They revolved singers and entertainers for every song and had the entire crowd moving.. I thought they sounded awesome.. Loved the reggae perfomers w/Sleepy Wonder..

Gotan Project was great once again.. They mentioned it being their last show of the tour and put on another beautiful performance. For me, I just love how they really incorporate the lighting and videos into their show.. At sunset into darkness it really enchances the mood, lots of dark reds and greens..Niice.

I definitely agree w/ Kingsblend on Zion I, great performance... Flosstradamus was cool, had the crowd jumpin'..

I also caught out of curiousity, M.I.A., Dengue Fever, and Mocean Worker..

M.I.A. lived up to the hype, wore some crazy-ass gold pants, and had the entire stage full up fans by the end of the set.. Entertaining show..

Mocean Worker had a small band together, and jammed out some electro-jazz tunes.. I thought the bongo girl, (besides looking like a girl I used to date), killed it!! Pretty funky..

Dengue Fever was interesting.. Very mellow with a Cambodian lead singer, she had a sweet style and voice...Poppy w/even a little psychedlica mood to their music..

ALso thought Dj Shadow/ Cut Chemist were a little drawn out, not to much excitement there..

And..

Yeah...,

Ghostland killed it.....

Overall... I dug the energy and vibe of the fest, I had a killer time, met some cool people and danced my ass off.. Nicely done for the inagural, I'd catch another show there anytime..
    Last edited by gmoneyak; 09-16-2007 at 11:03 PM.

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

Some other random pics:

Do you have anymore ferris wheel pics?

That festival looks SO cute. I am glad to hear that it went well.

The aerial shot is awesome. Man the weather was perfect for this thing, I dont think anyone couldve asked for a better weekend I imagine. Maybe I'll go next year if my funds are stuck in other places. I think this can only get better for APE doing this every year.

modest mouse was great. almost got into a fight over modest mouse. they played trailer trash and a wacky jam version of tiny cities made of ashes.

spoon was great with the exception of ghost that lingers which blew due to tech. difficulties.

built to spill was great. i enjoyed that brian eno cover and the last song and that one that john loves.

matthew ward was great. i enjoyed the songs he played.

the festival was surprisingly well-organized. this made Be the Riottt look like a pre-school play by comparison. acts were generally on-time. they got everyone off the island in 90 minutes flat. they pulled off a hippie green festival without angering me. it was really well done.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Do you have anymore ferris wheel pics?

Yeah.. mostly just different versions of the 1st one..

Also..

A lil' sidenote:

The fest seemed to grow to about 10,000 or so by midday.. It was just about perfect in size for the space allotted for the festival. To catch any show on the main stage, and get a decent spot, all you had to do was walk up along the fence on the bayside. Turn the corner around the trees and sneak in on the the side.. IT WAS PERFECT... The crowds by the concessions toward the stage got fairly packed, but even at the end of the night, people were still chillin' on blankets and soaking it in.... Very pleasant atmosphere
    Last edited by gmoneyak; 09-17-2007 at 01:49 AM.

I had so much fun at this yesterday. It was extremely well-organized which is generally rare for first year festivals. I was really impressed by the shuttle system they had. I had this nightmare image beforehand of them having a few old school buses going back and forth to get people on and off. Not the case. from the time I left after Modest Mouse to the time I was seated on one of their luxury buses it was a little less than 20 minutes. Not bad at all.

The music part was great too. I liked that they had the side stage so we could get music while they were changing the set on the main stage. I think Film School was my favorite act on that stage. Spoon was awesome. I even think the tech difficulties during "Ghost of You Lingers" caused for a surprisingly interesting rendition of the song. Built to Spill was great too, as was M. Ward. CYHYA was okay. The crowd only got into them when they played stuff off their first album, and the band seemed a little bored. Modest Mouse was great, although they played heavily from the last two albums, which I was a little bummed about. Although it was cool to see Marr on guitar. Also, Tiny Cities Made of Ashes was great.

Overall it was an awesome weekend. I hope they do it again next year!

cool things about treasure island festival:
    -free photobooth pictures
    -you can get a haircut for a donation only
    -location, obviously
    -girls staked out at trash/recycling areas to tell you which bin to throw your stuff in
    -ferris wheel (although its $5/ride, but still cool to have)
    -free stuff for recycling: i got the theivery corporation cd for turning in 25 plastic bottles

i was really impressed with how well it went off. i had a great time and would definitely go again.

brad - i thought i saw you but wasn't sure if it was you. you looked different (mohawk?), then i saw foi's pictures and yes, it was you. oh well!

I'd just like to say that I didn't have my hair cut at the festival. Just prior, actually. I agreed to let this lovely girl I'm with cut my hair, and you saw the results.

Am I the only one who didn't like the Modest Mouse set? And this is saying something, because I'm a huge Modest Mouse fan. It's not that they played badly or anything, but the set-list was despicable. Unless I'm forgetting something, they only played four songs that weren't on their last two albums: Tiny Cities Made of Ashes, Trailer Trash, Broke, and Paper Thin Walls. In my opinion, We Were Dead... is without a doubt their worst album, and they kept playing songs off of it. Good News isn't bad, but i'd rather hear their classics anyday...

Besides that, i really didn't have any complaints... (except for the singer of CYHSY) it seemed like every band i saw was great... mainly, Spoon, Built to Spill and M. Ward. But even lower tier bands like Two Gallants were great as well.

We Were Dead... was a terrible album. I cannot stress enough how disapointed I was. I even really liked Bad News...
    Know what would be amazing? If Modest Mouse did a concert where they played one of thier older albums in its entirety. Preferably The Lonesome Crowded West.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Good idea...only instead of Lonesome Crowded West, The Moon and Antarctica...although, i dont know how easy that album would be to play live.

maybe isaac doesn't feel the same way about songs he wrote years ago as everyone else does. he's allowed to grow old and make lesser albums if he wants to. he'll still have plenty of fans.

Doug Martsch can still make a good album...

damn right...does anyone have a built to spill setlist or pictures? i want to know what i missed...
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

Built to Spill was epic...i have pictures but they were off my crappy camera phone.