Thread: Five Year Old Survives Two Days Alone in Woods.

Default Five Year Old Survives Two Days Alone in Woods.

From Yahoo.

Missing 2 days, 5-year-old found alive
    By CARLA K. JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer Sat Jun 16, 8:25 AM ET
    MOMENCE, Ill. - A 5-year-old girl who was feared drowned with her grandfather on a boating trip startled searchers Friday when she emerged from the woods naked, scratched and holding raspberries.

Crews had pulled her grandfather's body from the Kankakee River in eastern Illinois just hours earlier.

"People were like, 'Who's that little girl? That can't be her, can it?'" Kankakee Sheriff's Chief Deputy Ken McCabe said. "I went up to her (and) asked, 'How you doing? What's your name?'"

When authorities told Hannah Klamecki's family already grieving the loss of her grandfather that she was alive, the home erupted in screaming.

Hannah was taken to a hospital as a precaution. She slept with her parents and a teddy bear at her side before being released. Cradling the bear, she spoke freely of her ordeal Friday evening.

"I was scared last night when everybody was gone," she said. "I went searching all over the world to look for the cottage (where her grandparents live)."

Hannah had scratches on her face and body and thick dirt under her nails. She had poison ivy rashes on her legs and couldn't walk because splinters and thorns cut her feet.

Hannah and her grandfather, David Klamecki, 62, were last seen Wednesday evening on the river near Momence, about 45 miles south of Chicago.

Authorities believe the river current swept the girl away from a small island where she and her grandfather had stopped to swim and to the shore of the mainland where she eventually was found.

She told searchers she was wearing floats on her arms and pulled herself from the water with a branch.

"That's a tough little girl, I tell you," McCabe said.

Hannah said she had taken off her bathing suit because it was muddy and itchy, friends of the family said.

She was also a bit dehydrated and "very, very tired," said Riverside Medical Center in Kankakee spokesman Carl Maronich.

On Friday morning, searchers found her grandfather's body near the island, which is close to a part of the river locals call "Whirlpool Bend" because of strong currents from the union of the river and two tributaries.

The surrounding area is wilderness with no homes, and populated only by coyotes and deer, Momence Fire Chief Dave Horn said.

Richard Wehrle, a friend and neighbor of David Klamecki, said the area is notoriously treacherous.

"Anybody who knows that river knows that that's the deadliest part of the river," Wehrle said.

The girl's footprints were still visible on the island beach. Searchers believed she had drowned and were scouring the area with a team of divers, sonar equipment and a helicopter.

Hannah appeared just before 10:30 a.m., in an area about three-quarters of a mile from where she's believed to have reached the shore, McCabe said.

The girl was reunited with her parents, who were waiting with family and friends at the grandparents' home.

Hannah calmly sat in a rescue vehicle when her parents saw her for the first time, her father said.

"She didn't say much," Mike Klamecki said. "She was eating her banana looking at us. We were jumping around like maniacs."

Tricia Little, a close family friend of Hannah's parents, said David Klamecki taught the girl and her two younger sisters about the outdoors. She credits that instruction and God with Hannah's survival.

Hannah's father, Mike Klamecki, is senior pastor at New Hope Community Church in Villa Park. Little's husband, Brian, said parishioners have been "praying for his whole family."

"Obviously, we're giving all the glory to God on this one," Brian Little said.
    Holy crap.

Default Re: Five Year Old Survives Two Days Alone in Woods.

Also, I confess that I chuckled when I read the phrase "Naked, scratched, and holding raspberries".

Banned

Hurray! I love stories like this.

The little girl sounds just adorable...with her banana and raspberries and whatnot.

Jesus. At least the family took the time to educate their kids about where they were living. Amazing she knew to pick fruit.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Also, I confess that I chuckled when I read the phrase "Naked, scratched, and holding raspberries".
    Yeah that first paragraph is stunningly good.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Also, there are people in this article named both "Hannah" and "McCabe". We win.

Banned

The girl saved herself, not God. Why does everyone have to bring up God when something positive happens? No one cites God when a disaster happens. "Oh yeah. It was the federal govt's fault for not providing immediate assistance following the Katrina disaster, as well as God's." If I am ever in a disaster, survive, and interviewed by the press, I'm blaming God.

E

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 View Post
    The girl saved herself, not God. Why does everyone have to bring up God when something positive happens? No one cites God when a disaster happens. "Oh yeah. It was the federal govt's fault for not providing immediate assistance following the Katrina disaster, as well as God's." If I am ever in a disaster, survive, and interviewed by the press, I'm blaming God.

E
    I have to agree w/u there...

E
    Except for the Christian fundamentalists who say it's the wrath of God being brought down upon those dirty heathen sinners. They say that God's doing something. Just not something very pleasant.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

E
    It's just life.
    Deal with it.

Don't be a baby and blame it on everything else.

...If I am ever in a disaster, survive, and interviewed by the press, I'm blaming God.
    That was funny.

Good story Hannah, you are a hero!
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

The raspberries totally made the story.

Was her name Hannah MacGyver?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Except for the Christian fundamentalists who say it's the wrath of God being brought down upon those dirty heathen sinners. They say that God's doing something. Just not something very pleasant.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    this is fantastic news...we can all fist ourselves in peace now...
    http://www.last.fm/user/theburydlife

2011 Wishlist: Soviet Soviet, Swans, Heroin and Your Veins, Lower Dens, The December Sound, Scarlet Youth, Faunts, Bad Lieutenant, The Besnard Lakes, The Raveonettes, Screen Vinyl Image, Sway

E
    I'm taking a really big leap when I say this, but maybe it was because her father is a pastor...? Just guessing.

Banned

So God only saves pastors' children? He says fuck it to the rest?

Give me a fucking break. The child saved herself. Her father is a fucking tool.

E

This is how I imagine it........

Last edited by bumper31; 06-17-2007 at 06:59 AM. Reason: made embedded image
    We're not becoming friends