Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Classical, etc music

Default Re: Classical, etc music

Beethoven's 7th?

VigoTheCarpathian

Right right...droog

there is a pretty great piece of early 90s computer music by Richard Karpen called The Other that uses the 7th exclusively as the source material. check it...

VigoTheCarpathian

That is pretty great. So I guess he intentionally listened to the 7th while sleeping so to dream up his own variation of it? The idea itself is pretty inventive. Good find.

VigoTheCarpathian

He did it very successfully too.

Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post
    Who wrote this music anyone? I've heard this many times before and its so damn beautiful.
    Karajan sure knew how to preserve his legacy. I wonder if any 20th century maestro other than Leonard Bernstein has so much of his work on video. Here's the complete 2nd movement you were asking after:

NY Phil's 9/11 memorial concert feat. Mahler 2 on PBS' Great Performances this wkend.

Here.

Sounds pretty cool

Aphex Twin will premiere his remix of composer Krzysztof Penderecki's early 1960s piece "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima" as well as "Polymorphia Reloaded", his reworking of Penderecki's 1961 piece "Polymorphia". He will also perform a set as AFX.
    Tonight at the same event, Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood will also premiere a piece inspired by Penderecki's "Polymorphia", titled "48 Responses to Polymorphia".

At the Sacrum Profanum Festival in Krakow on September 17, Aphex Twin perform as part of the Reich 75 project, performing compositions by composter Steve Reich. Reich himself, as well as Tom Verlaine of Television, Adrian Utley of Portishead, Will Gregory of Goldfrapp, and others will also be a part of the ensemble.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Penderecki: Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp3BlFZWJNA

I do love this piece, even though it is often difficult to listen to because of the subject matter it is based upon. It captures fear, foreboding, destruction and anguish.
    Last edited by tigermilkboy; 09-09-2011 at 01:54 PM.

it's not based on any subject matter of the sort. penderecki named it after he composed it. the title is the most unfortunate thing about the piece. a complete farce.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    it's not based on any subject matter of the sort. penderecki named it after he composed it. the title is the most unfortunate thing about the piece. a complete farce.
    No, the piece was composed in an abstract way with no direct theme or subject matter. It was later Penderecki decided to dedicate it to Hiroshima. A threnody is a song or hymn composed as a memorial. Just because the composer dedicated it to an event does not invalidate the emotional composition of this piece.
    I think you find most musicians title music after they have composed it. To label it a farce because you don't enjoy it, does not mean this threnody doesn't have its merits. It seems your sole rejection of the piece is based on the fact the Penderecki titled the piece at a later date. As I am sure you know this piece gained Penderecki fame and recognition before he so named it.

It has nothing to do with my enjoying it. I couldn't care less. The music speaks for itself.

He named it for the publicity (despite the piece making a minor stir, prior there is little denying that the title goes a long way to garnering attention). There is an interview with Boulez about this. I will dig it up.

It sounds to me like Jared's saying the name is a complete farce.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Yes. Of course. Apologies if that was unclear.

VigoTheCarpathian

I haven't dug too deep into Phillip Glass's catalog so I can't really speak to it but I've always enjoyed his violin concerto; particularly the 2nd Kate Moss movement:

I've always thought that the 3rd movement went well with Frank Gehry's MIT Linguistic Dept. Does anyone else sense the aesthetic likeness?

Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 09-09-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Little Glass has done much for me but I like that Violin Concerto quite a bit.

Also, Jared, it looks like your Stockhausen viemo link didn't stand up. What should I have seen there?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

I'm a Karajan fan, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Little Glass has done much for me but I like that Violin Concerto quite a bit.

Also, Jared, it looks like your Stockhausen viemo link didn't stand up. What should I have seen there?
    huh. you should be able to click on it and open it in a new window.

VigoTheCarpathian

Karajan looks like Richard Feynman in that picture. Does anyone know what time the Mahler 2 airs in L.A.
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 09-10-2011 at 02:32 PM.

VigoTheCarpathian

Edit: We get Ken Watanabes America. good grief.
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 09-10-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matildawong View Post
    I'm a Karajan fan, too.
    Love it! I know some people absolutely loathe this about him, but he truly amps up the sensuality in so much of the music he conducts. I love that, because he seems to be able to never lose his hard edge in the process.

The Violin Concerto is one of my favorite Glass pieces as well.

Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post
    Edit: We get Ken Watanabes America. good grief.
    That's on KCET, Vigo. KCET ceased being a PBS affiliate last year when they couldn't negotiate lower fees from PBS. In LA/OC, you can only find PBS programming on PBS So Cal (aka KOCE). Not sure what channel that is for you, but on TimeWarner it's channel 16. Great Performance's is on at 9:30pm on Sunday.

Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 09-10-2011 at 07:51 PM.

VigoTheCarpathian

Ah, thank you very much!

I sometimes wish that I pursued composition and conducting in a university setting. I write a bunch of music. Most of it's just a bunch of simple stuff... demos. I write these kind of foundations, I guess you can call them, but do not add as much variety or dynamics unless I pick a song and really sit down with it. Lately, I've just been making what are supposed to be a bunch of pop songs... but it's always been my dream to write scores for movies, and I've written tons of songs with an orchestra in mind. In 2005, I wrote this thing that's like an entire song made up of seven sections, and it's about fifty minutes long, and there is always a piano, cello, violin, and viola going through the entire thing. I have been dying to hear it played by these instruments, for real, and not through my synthesizers.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

VigoTheCarpathian

Is there any way we could hear your piece?

I'd be embarrassed. Haha. But actually, I've been planning on working on it again, because I want to put it online (albeit in a synthesized form, and not with an actual orchestra). I also want to work on it, because I never wrote any percussion parts for it. It could probably also use some revision.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

VigoTheCarpathian

Eh, just put it online. You'd be happy once you did.

Love it! I know some people absolutely loathe this about him, but he truly amps up the sensuality in so much of the music he conducts. I love that, because he seems to be able to never lose his hard edge in the process.
    I agree, rage. Also, I have seen that documentary you mentioned about Karajan -- really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    I think HvK is fine; I've heard great performances from him but I've also heard many unremarkable ones. This is mostly because I have heard many performances from him because so many have been released/gotten good distribution.

One of HvK's recordings of the Allegretto from the 7th (haven't had a chance to see if it is the one linked to above) was one of the bits that got me hooked on classical music... but while that one version of that movement is exceptional I wouldn't go to him for that symphony as I don't get much from what he does with any of the other movements.

VigoTheCarpathian

Ive got a DVD of him with the Berlin Phil doing l.v.b.'s 9th. This reminds me to try it out on the new TV. You're right, Rage, about how he preserved his history: a part of that must be due to the pieces he associated himself with.

Saw the New York Philharmonic at Avery Fisher Hall last night. Wow, that place is gorgeous. The sound was fantastic, too.

Kurt Masur returned to the orchestra to guest conduct Schubert's Unfinished Symphony and Shostakovich's 13th Symphony, the "Babi Yar."

Masur was the first to conduct the 13th with the NYPO, in 1993. He was also the last, in 2001. The same bass was along. The highlight for me was the men's chorus. Hot damn. That is my favorite part of that piece, lots and lots of massed unison chorus. Things were a bit quicker than I am used to but there's nothing wrong with that. They used the original texts and had supertitles.

It made me quite excited to see more. In a few weeks we're seeing Haitink conducting Bruckner and Haydn, in December I will probably a CONTACT concert with a new piece by Lunsqui, the NYPO premiere of Lindberg's Gran Duo and Gruber's Frankenstein!!