Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical, etc music

Default Re: Classical, etc music

Good thread guys. I like a lot of the more avant-garde classical music and also musique concrete. People like Karlheinz Stockhausen, John Cage, Terry Riley, Edgard Varese, Erik Satie, David Borden, Morton Subotnick, Walter Carlos...

Switched on Bach! What a classic.

Then again, people like Rachmaninov, Gershwin, Debussy, Tchaikowsky, etc are pretty cool too.

What I like best about classical music is really not the compositions but listening to the orchestra warm up before hand. I think there is an actual album of orchestras warming up... but I would feel really idiotic listening to it.

John Cage... *cough* *murmur*

haha, nice

Quote Originally Posted by atom heart View Post
    What I like best about classical music is really not the compositions but listening to the orchestra warm up before hand. I think there is an actual album of orchestras warming up... but I would feel really idiotic listening to it.
    What I really like about hearing an orchestra warm up is the snippets of the pieces they're about to play (or are going to play next week, etc.) Amps up the anticipation and all.

Three plus months until the Phoenix Symphony starts back up it's classical season. ):
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmintpdx View Post
    Good thread guys. I like a lot of the more avant-garde classical music and also musique concrete. People like Karlheinz Stockhausen, John Cage, Terry Riley, Edgard Varese, Erik Satie, David Borden, Morton Subotnick, Walter Carlos...

I don't know much by those folks, I must admit. There's a decent amount of Cage I like but it's not a deep and abiding love.

What might you recommend from Terry Riley and/or David Borden?

Also for anyone interested in streaming some music by US based composers (not just US born) can go to Art of the States. They stream through RealPlayer.

They skew towards the 20th century and the obscure and there's only a piece or a few by each but still that's a lot of music to listen to.

The artists I'd recommend for checking out include:
    John Adams
    Samuel Barber
    Ernest Bloch
    John Cage
    Aaron Copland
    Paul Hindemith
    Gian Carlo Menotti
    Steve Reich
    Terry Riley (actually he's via pdx)
    Ned Rorem
    Christopher Rouse
    Virgil Thompson
    Edgard Varese (actually he's via pdx)
    John Zorn

I'm surprised nobody on here has mentioned Philip Glass

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I don't know much by those folks, I must admit. There's a decent amount of Cage I like but it's not a deep and abiding love.

What might you recommend from Terry Riley and/or David Borden?
    A classic by Terry Riley is an album called Rainbow in Curved Air. I like that one a lot. David Borden is basically contemporary. He has this band called Mother Mallard. I like this album by him called Migration (it's attributed to both David Borden and Mother Mallard). I believe he's a music professor at Cornell University. I'll try to check out some of what you recommended also.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RockStr4Life View Post
    you read my mind....
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

One reason listening to classical music can be intimidating is that there are so many more factors to consider when choosing what to buy. If you want to hear "Heroes" you go to iTunes or you get "Heroes" (the album) and there you go. There will be some live recordings and covers but they're often footnotes. There's a definitive original which is where all inquiry on the matter should start.

A single piece by a single composer will be recorded hundreds of times if it's popular. Karajan (a conductor) did studio recordings all nine symphonies by Beethoven no less than four times, with I think three different orchestras. There are also live recordings of these symphonies with various other orchestras. That means for any given Beethoven symphony there're at least a half a dozen different recordings to choose between from just one conductor. [Quick overview: the 50s cycle is unremarkable and with bad sound quality; his mid 60s set is his best (there are certainly better cycles, though) while the late 70s cycle is only worth picking through and the digital set in the 80s isn't worth bothering with at all. THIS IS NOT TO SAY that any of these recordings are "bad" per se, just less remarkable than other choices. Any of his four cycles here would be fine to have but if you like the pieces enough to want multiple versions then these - other than the 60s set - probably aren't going to be ones you keep going back to.]
    I kind of get what you are saying here. For the last few years I have been looking around for a copy of Ma Vlast composed by Smetana. According to Wikipedia it is a second cycle of six and that it is a symphonic poem. I want the entire thing as it has a great deal of personal value to me. I have been really confused when I try to purchase it and haven't done so yet because of this. So, I think what you are saying is that one particular conductor may have done this piece multiple times and one may be better than the others, right? Also, if I were to try obtain this particular piece, in your opinion, would an orchestra in Berlin, Hungary, Austria or Prague be better at interpreting the piece because it was written in that particular area and because they have had more experience playing it?

Opera adds various other layers with conductors and orchestras and different performances but also different casts of singers and productions (especially if you're going to get a DVD of the performance.)
    I have a few operas on cd. I watched the entire Madama Butterfly by Puccini years ago and found it to be the most heartbreaking and sad thing I've ever seen. I then bought a partial of this opera and Angela Gheorghiu was the butterfly (Also Orchestra & Chorus of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden). It's gorgeous. Although I have a hard time listening to any operas as friends and co-workers don't care much for it.

Thank You. I'm going to read the second page of this thread tomorrow...so much good info!

Quote Originally Posted by devachan View Post
    I watched the entire Madama Butterfly by Puccini years ago and found it to be the most heartbreaking and sad thing I've ever seen. I then bought a partial of this opera and Angela Gheorghiu was the butterfly (Also Orchestra & Chorus of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden). It's gorgeous. Although I have a hard time listening to any operas as friends and co-workers don't care much for it.

Thank You. I'm going to read the second page of this thread tomorrow...so much good info!
    You ever seen the movie and/or play M. Butterfly? It functions as a critique and extremely clever riff on Madame Butterfly. I caught it once down in Mountain View. Very awesome imo.

Quote Originally Posted by devachan View Post
    I kind of get what you are saying here. For the last few years I have been looking around for a copy of Ma Vlast composed by Smetana. According to Wikipedia it is a second cycle of six and that it is a symphonic poem. I want the entire thing as it has a great deal of personal value to me. I have been really confused when I try to purchase it and haven't done so yet because of this. So, I think what you are saying is that one particular conductor may have done this piece multiple times and one may be better than the others, right? Also, if I were to try obtain this particular piece, in your opinion, would an orchestra in Berlin, Hungary, Austria or Prague be better at interpreting the piece because it was written in that particular area and because they have had more experience playing it?
    Ma Vlast is a a set of six symphonic poems. The second of those parts, Vltava or The Moldeau is the most famous and is often played/recorded/released as a stand-alone piece.

Since you're looking for the whole thing you just want to look for "Ma Vlast" instead of just "The Moldeau," which means you want to make sure the other pieces are there too: Vyšehrad, Šárka, Tabor and so on.

I wouldn't expect an orchestra from that region to necessarily be any better at the piece than any other.

From Amazon (just cause that's my default) the recordings I'd consider would be an older mono recording under Kubelik with the Chicago Symphony, a more recent live one under Kubelik done after he returned to Czechoslovakia after years of exile (OK, this is an instance where maybe there are enough regional forces colliding together to mean something.) There's one under Zubin Mehta which I'd look at - it's a studio, digital era recording so the sound should be fantastic - but I do tend to like Kubelik better anyway.

Most of the ones that come up aren't the right thing (just including one part of the whole) or don't sound terribly exciting. The Mackerras could be good but I've got less history with his recordings and again we'd be talking about old, weaker sound. Furtwangler recorded it and while I love him and I'd want to hear that recording just because I want to hear all his recordings I'm not sure he'd be the man for this piece.

There are also recordings from von Karajan and Harnoncourt and Levine but those, for me, are the sorts of conductors I settle for rather than search out. I'm probably not being fair to von Karajan but whatever.

Opera stuff later.

Quote Originally Posted by RockStr4Life View Post
    Iv'e got a copy of La Belle et la Bete by Phillip Glass. He also wrote a piece of music called Amazon River which is quite excellent.

Oh, and his orchestration of Aphex Twin's ICCT Hedral is erie to say the least and I recommend you hunt it out.

Quote Originally Posted by bassmintpdx View Post

And I'll throw in Xenakis, Ligeti, Crumb, La Mont Young, Penderecki (!!!), and the likes. And I will suggest firmly that people stay away from Phillip Glass and Erik Satie.

Iannix Xenakis is a badass. LaMonte Young is really cool, but the guy needs to deflate his head somewhat so we can get recordings of the Dream Syndicate. I love Tony Conrad, Glenn Branca and Rhys Chatham. Those guys are so damn cool. Abrasion abounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Iannix Xenakis is a badass. LaMonte Young is really cool, but the guy needs to deflate his head somewhat so we can get recordings of the Dream Syndicate. I love Tony Conrad, Glenn Branca and Rhys Chatham. Those guys are so damn cool. Abrasion abounds.
    On Oink?

Dream Syndicate also known as "theater of eternal music."

mountmccabe, you mentioned opera (for later) and Boris Godunov -- have you seen that opera?

Also, the Turandot opera is great and I love the Zubin Mehta version. I'd bet you would like it after reading your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    On Oink?

Dream Syndicate also known as "theater of eternal music."
    Shit! Holy shit. You made my day. I thought the Liars album was going to be my score of the day, but, no you upped it.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Shit! Holy shit. You made my day. I thought the Liars album was going to be my score of the day, but, no you upped it.
    i'm glad. something to pull the white stripes out of your playlist. ;-)

Only piece of classical I've ever really gotten into is Montagues And Capulets. THAT shit rocks. Unless Ave Maria counts.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

That movie Amadeus is really good. I did not realize he was murdered until I saw it. I think it won best picture in 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by matildawong View Post
    mountmccabe, you mentioned opera (for later) and Boris Godunov -- have you seen that opera?

Also, the Turandot opera is great and I love the Zubin Mehta version. I'd bet you would like it after reading your posts.
    I have heard but not seen Boris Godunov. It was quite a while ago, too. It's a pretty rich opera (based on the Pushkin) and very Russian in sound. I need to get a copy and hear/see it again.

My younger sister is a bigger Puccini fan than I am. I am not sure that I've heard any significant amount of Turandot and I have no great comments there.

My taste in opera tends towards Verdi and Wagner and early 20th century modernist stuff like Berg and Barber. I have a lot left to hear, though.

I like Wagner too. I didn't really appreciate Turandot until I heard it all the way through and then I loved it.
    I was lucky enough to review opera this season and I learned a lot. Boris was the season opener.

Ma Vlast is a a set of six symphonic poems. The second of those parts, Vltava or The Moldeau is the most famous and is often played/recorded/released as a stand-alone piece.

Since you're looking for the whole thing you just want to look for "Ma Vlast" instead of just "The Moldeau," which means you want to make sure the other pieces are there too: Vyšehrad, Šárka, Tabor and so on.

I wouldn't expect an orchestra from that region to necessarily be any better at the piece than any other.

From Amazon (just cause that's my default) the recordings I'd consider would be an older mono recording under Kubelik with the Chicago Symphony, a more recent live one under Kubelik done after he returned to Czechoslovakia after years of exile (OK, this is an instance where maybe there are enough regional forces colliding together to mean something.) There's one under Zubin Mehta which I'd look at - it's a studio, digital era recording so the sound should be fantastic - but I do tend to like Kubelik better anyway.
    Thank you so much for this info, I'm going to purchase it (Kubelik version) this weekend.

You ever seen the movie and/or play M. Butterfly? It functions as a critique and extremely clever riff on Madame Butterfly. I caught it once down in Mountain View. Very awesome imo.
    I saw it years ago and the only thing I can remember is that Jeremy Irons was super femme or dressing in drag for the film. I need to see it again.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

If it's not a joke what're you listening too. What composers, conductors, performers etc are you liking.

I mean, sure, you could take it to a dedicated classical music thread but where'd be the fun in that?

EDIT: That shit doesn't work when you provide a link, I guess.
    3 years since a single post has been made in this thread? Kind of sad. Hopefully I will contribute to it more at some point but I can barely name any composers. What I can tell you is I listen to Venice Classical Radio on xiia live lite on my droid. It can also be found on itunes under internet radio stations and classical. I started school about 3 weeks ago and I now listen to an average of 3-4 hours a day. When a composer catches my ear I try to check and see who it is and write it down. For instance yesterday I heard an amazing piece by Stravinsky called 'chant du menestrel'. Later in the day I heard Gabriel Faure' "sicilienne' op. 78'.

I pretty much start listening when I am about to do some homework because of how great it works for keeping me focused. Once I am done doing homework after and hour or two I tend to keep it on for another hour or so. I also turn it on at night when i'm on my home computer so i'm starting to absorb more but still not a ton since i'm usually focused on my work.

Nice to see this thread, though it's long been dead. Now that I'm gainfully employed, I was hoping to finally catch Gustavo Dudamel w/ the LA Phil this season, but it looks like he's only conducting Brahms the rest of the season; not a huge Brahms fan. Probably going to wait until the Fall. Anyone seen Maestro Dudamel in action?

I was in San Jose for work this last week and the PBS station up there played this incredible documentary about the great (despite what mountmccabe says ) Herbert Von Karajan called Karajan, or Beauty As I See It. It's less a linear biography from birth to death than a portrait of the artist and the artistic process. Von Karajan had his own production house and meticulously filmed thousands of hours of his rehearsals and performances with the Berlin Philharmonic and the film makes good use of them. The film also does a great job of capturing his unending quest to get his signature voluptuous, beautiful sound out of his orchestras. It's fascinating, engrossing stuff -- especially for lovers of symphonic music. I'd also recommend it to anyone who is a bit perplexed as to what a conductor really contributes to a performance. You can stream it online...

Took my dad to the San Diego Symphony tonight as an early Father's day gift. Highlights were an absolute gorgeous Symphony No. 1 by Samuel Barber and a powerful Firebird suite by Stravinsky.

Two questions:

What are some good avant-garde composers and what are their good pieces?

Where do I find LPs of such?
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P