Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Classical, etc music

VigoTheCarpathian

Default Re: Classical, etc music

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Two questions:

What are some good avant-garde composers and what are their good pieces?

Where do I find LPs of such?

First it should be said that this was at one time avant-garde:

It seems to only take some time for the "far out" to become fashion.

Copied from wikipedia:

Laurie Anderson (American composer)
    George Antheil (American composer)
    Albert Ayler (Free jazz) [28]
    John Balance (Music Composer, poet)
    Luciano Berio (Italian composer)
    Pierre Boulez (French composer)
    Glenn Branca (American guitarist and composer)

Harold Budd (American composer)
    John Cage (American composer)
    Les Claypool (American musician, singer, bassist, film maker, novelist, composer)
    Ornette Coleman (American jazz musician)
    John Coltrane (American jazz musician)

Ivor Cutler (Scottish avant-musician and poet)
    Miles Davis (American jazz musician)
    Claude Debussy (French composer) [29]

Eric Dolphy (American jazz musician)
    Duke Ellington (American jazz musician, band leader and composer)
    Don Ellis (American jazz musician, band leader and composer)
    Brian Eno (English musician and composer)
    Morton Feldman (American composer)
    Aaron Funk (Canadian electronic musician)
    Diamanda Galás (American Musician, composer and performance artist)
    Philip Glass (American composer)
    Dave Holland (British jazz musician)
    Daryl Hayott (American Jazz Musician/Composer)
    Charles Ives (American composer) [30]
    Roland Kirk (American jazz musician)
    Bill Laswell (Avant-Garde musician)
    György Ligeti (Hungarian/Austrian/Romanian composer)
    Witold Lutosławski (Polish composer)
    Lydia Lunch (American singer, poet, writer and actress)

Angus MacLise (American percussionist)
    Charles Mingus (American jazz musician)
    Thelonious Monk (American jazz musician)
    Max Neuhaus (composer)
    Mike Oldfield (English composer)
    Yoko Ono (Japanese artist and musician)
    Harry Partch (American composer and instrument designer)
    Mike Patton (American musician, singer and composer)
    Krzysztof Penderecki (Polish composer)
    Sun Ra (Free jazz innovator)
    Steve Reich (American composer)
    Terry Riley (American composer)
    Arthur Russell (American musician, singer and composer)
    Pharoah Sanders (American jazz musician)
    Erik Satie (French composer and pianist)
    Pierre Schaeffer (French composer, writer, broadcaster, engineer, musicologist and acoustician)
    Arnold Schoenberg (Austrian/American composer)
    Archie Shepp (American jazz musician)
    Karlheinz Stockhausen (German composer)
    Igor Stravinsky (Russian composer) [31]
    David Tudor (American composer)

Arto Tunçboyacıyan (Armenian vocalist, multiinstrumentalist)
    Edgard Varèse (French composer, later naturalized American citizen)
    David Vorhaus (American electronic composer)
    Igor Wakhevitch (French composer)
    Anton Webern (Second Viennese School)
    Robert Wyatt (English singer and songwriter)
    Iannis Xenakis (Greek composer and architect)
    La Monte Young (American composer)
    Frank Zappa (American composer, guitarist and satirist)

All these names are pretty relevant. I've highlighted personal favs. Have fun.
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 08-24-2011 at 04:32 PM.

VigoTheCarpathian

And Luigi Nono

Q. How shall I celebrate being in NYC for a year?

A. By seeing the NY Phil, etc perform Stockhausen's Gruppen
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 09-07-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: link
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Also NYP has a strong season and in addition to the Stockhausen concert (which also includes Ives and Boulez) I want to see Masur conduct DSCH 13th and the Schubert 9th, Haitink conduct Bruckner's 7th and Hayden and Mehta conduct Bruckner's 8th. I mean, i'd love to see most of their concerts but these are the focus.

I also want to go to the Met to see Vec Makruplos (Janacek,) Khovanschina (Mussorgsky) and maybe Manon (Massenett.)

Also Rufus Wainwright's Prima Donna is happening Spring-ish at BAM; I am definitely interested here.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Stockhausen

VigoTheCarpathian

well la di fucking da for you.

I just checked the schedule for NY and ya its packed. Got a bunch of Mahler and even some Glass. This is a link for anyone interested.

Also, the SF symph. 100th birthday party is live on KUSC 91.5 right now. Lang lang just got done with Liszt and I think they've got more good stuff planned.
    Last edited by VigoTheCarpathian; 09-08-2011 at 04:44 PM.

VigoTheCarpathian

Oh my, Itzhak Perlman is playing some beautiful Mendelssohn. I suggest everyone turn to 91.5.

Also NYP has a strong season and in addition to the Stockhausen concert (which also includes Ives and Boulez) I want to see Masur conduct DSCH 13th and the Schubert 9th, Haitink conduct Bruckner's 7th and Hayden and Mehta conduct Bruckner's 8th. I mean, i'd love to see most of their concerts but these are the focus.

I also want to go to the Met to see Vec Makruplos (Janacek,) Khovanschina (Mussorgsky) and maybe Manon (Massenett.)

Also Rufus Wainwright's Prima Donna is happening Spring-ish at BAM; I am definitely interested here.

That all sounds wonderful. Got a good season ahead of you. I'm jealous of the this concert with a Corigliano premiere and Dvorak and Barber.

LA's got some nice stuff, too. Salonen conducts a Shostakovitch world premiere; not a typo. Dudamel conducts Mahler 1-9. Dutoit conducts a night of Stravinsky, Debussy and Prokofiev, Adams conducts his own Violin concerto and a Glass premiere, Rattle conducts Bruckner, Mahler, Wagner and Ligeti. Your orchestra visits with Gilbert conducting Tchaikovsky 4 and some Dvorak and Lindberg. LA Opera's got Vittorio Grigolo in Gounod's R&J too.

I think I might need to acquire a student ID in order to afford this season.

i would like to say that the last few posts have reminded me of how frustrated I am at the severe lack of (interesting) contemporary composition put on in the US. how many curators think that they satisfy this niche by simply putting on a Glass piece?

You might care for LA Phil's Green Umbrella series? I honestly don't know much about contemporary composers so I could be way off.

there is some solid stuff in that line up... but virtually nothing from the last 30 years... and nothing that hasn't had severe rotation already. it's frustrating that established symphonies/orchestras are absurdly risk averse. take some chances assholes. (part of this comes from all those awesome stories you hear about small orchestras in europe in the 60s and 70s putting on insane ligeti, stockhausen, and feldman shows with the little budgets they had)

new york has the best of this... at least there are a few kaija saariaho events at carnegie hall this year.

i shouldn't complain much... i guess i should be happy i get to see joan la barbara do a new subotnick piece and some partch here in SF... along with a fantastic feldman and varese piece. but it kinda blows my mind there aren't more dedicated groups of musicians that constantly interface with this sort of music in a rigorous public setting.
    Last edited by wmgaretjax; 09-07-2011 at 10:53 PM.

There was a pretty good show on NPR a few months ago that highlighted a few modern composers:

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/newsounds/2011/apr/05/

Since I checked it out, I've really been digging Francesco Tristano, Dustin O'Halloran's Lumiere and Max Richter's Songs From Before.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    i would like to say that the last few posts have reminded me of how frustrated I am at the severe lack of (interesting) contemporary composition put on in the US. how many curators think that they satisfy this niche by simply putting on a Glass piece?
    Curiously enough, Michael Riesman, the only person qualified to conduct the Philip Glass Ensemble is doing a couple performances of Koyaanisqatsi in NY during November. I'm catching a performance of him doing The Hours and Dracula with a chamber orchestra next week. Should be good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by fancy restaurant View Post
    Although, I did attend more Slipknot concerts than any person ever really should. I remember once I told their lead singer "This is my 12th Slipknot show!" and he was just like, "Dude. Why?"
    Quote Originally Posted by cperkins9027 View Post
    Bring Aoki back next year and let him bring his friends. Open your minds and appreciate what he can do.

VigoTheCarpathian

All the young composers are forced to curate their own concerts with the support of family and friends and look for work in film and animation in between. Part of the problem is that us youngins don't go to the symphony and so the the directors cater to the tired rich folk of our cities who want their Bruckner ans Bach and water and sleep. Not that I dont like Bruckner and Bach but you get the point.

How fantastic would Joanna Newsom be with the LA Phil. Or how about that Bee Mask that you speek of, Wmgaretjax? I feel like something major needs to happen. We got this super Gehry building. We got the Dudumel. We're poised I say.

I'm definitely part of the problem. With the price of classical music tickets, I'm only going to go to the symphony or opera a couple of times a year. I tend to stick to what I know. I think the only time I've been to a premiere performance was when a soprano I'm particularly fond of was singing with the LA Phil. She has impeccable taste so I knew that even though I didn't know the pieces she was singing with the Phil (by an Argentinian composer whose name is escaping me), I knew I'd have a great experience. It also helped that the performance was paired with beloved Stravinsky and Barber pieces. Maybe that's the approach? Introduce new works as parts of programs with more familiar works that compliment them? Worked on me.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I'll be attending the Phoenix Symphony this year as often as I can. Seeing Rodrigo y Gabriela a few weeks ago with the LA phil was fantastic, what a full weekend of music and culture that was. It started out with 3 numbers by the L.A. Phil followed by a set of Mexican Pop with Los Invisibles and closing out the show was the LA Phil with Rodrigo y Gabriela as the LA Phil added so many nice accents, some subtle and some not, to Rod and Gabs songs. They complemented eachother and it was very unique.

I started listening to more classical because I am a student again and nothing focuses me more than classical music. Then I inquired about Phoenix Symphony tickets and learned they were super affordable for students. I sat front row balcony at three shows last year and the face value of the ticket was $82. I paid $11. This year I purchased a college club card for $30 that basically gets me ulimited classic series shows by just walking up, showing the card and picking the best available seat. I absolutley have fallen in love with the symphony and I still know very little about composers. I'm ok with that as the more I go the more I learn and research a bit about the composers and read the programs. I usually go alone so I have time to read the program during the breaks.

VigoTheCarpathian

I see lots of classical music in your future.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Adams conducts his own Violin concerto and a Glass premiere, and Ligeti. .
    Im going to try and see all of this.

Also, if anyone knows of any contemporary composers who are worth while I'd love to see this thread informed.

That all sounds wonderful. Got a good season ahead of you. I'm jealous of the this concert with a Corigliano premiere and Dvorak and Barber.
    That concert goes on while I am at ATP!

LA's got some nice stuff, too. Salonen conducts a Shostakovitch world premiere; not a typo. Dudamel conducts Mahler 1-9. Dutoit conducts a night of Stravinsky, Debussy and Prokofiev, Adams conducts his own Violin concerto and a Glass premiere, Rattle conducts Bruckner, Mahler, Wagner and Ligeti. Your orchestra visits with Gilbert conducting Tchaikovsky 4 and some Dvorak and Lindberg. LA Opera's got Vittorio Grigolo in Gounod's R&J too.

I think I might need to acquire a student ID in order to afford this season.
    Wow, that does sound like quite a season. I really love that Adams concerto. And I'd like to hear what Dudamel does with something like the Mahler 6. Very nice.

Also I think I will be able to take advantage of NYPhil's 35 & Under deal where tickets are $32.50 each. Or by doing day-of tickets. We'll see how it works out and what I actually get to see!

VigoTheCarpathian

NYPhil's 35 & Under deal where tickets are $32.50 each!
    what a funny policy.

there is some solid stuff in that line up... but virtually nothing from the last 30 years... and nothing that hasn't had severe rotation already. it's frustrating that established symphonies/orchestras are absurdly risk averse. take some chances assholes. (part of this comes from all those awesome stories you hear about small orchestras in europe in the 60s and 70s putting on insane ligeti, stockhausen, and feldman shows with the little budgets they had)
    Actually over half of those pieces were composed in the past 5 years. And most of those are local premieres if not world premieres so those pieces can't be said to in the rotation.

Maybe they aren't the featured compositions (cf the Reich concert where the two big pieces are from the early 70s) but, well, I dunno.

Also: that series includes pieces by Feldman and Stockhausen.

I think more what was going on was that we were talking about seeing standard repertoire pieces (even if they are less ubiquitous than some others,) not that non-standard pieces aren't being performed.

new york has the best of this... at least there are a few kaija saariaho events at carnegie hall this year.

i shouldn't complain much... i guess i should be happy i get to see joan la barbara do a new subotnick piece and some partch here in SF... along with a fantastic feldman and varese piece. but it kinda blows my mind there aren't more dedicated groups of musicians that constantly interface with this sort of music in a rigorous public setting.
    Members of the SF Symphony are here at Carnegie Hall for two shows in late March:
    March 29
    * MASON BATES Mass Transmission (NY Premiere)
    * DEL TREDICI Syzygy
    * PARTCH Selected Works
    * HARRISON Concerto for Organ with Percussion Orchestra

March 30
    * MEREDITH MONK New Work (NY Premiere)
    * STEVE REICH Music for Pieces of Wood
    * FOSS Echoi
    * MORTON SUBOTNICK Jacob’s Room: Monodrama

I am betting these are the same shows you're getting? When are yours?

Also it looks like Carnegie Hall does $10 day of public rush tickets. I am so happy it is just a couple blocks away and on my girlfriend's way to work.

EDIT: Fuck, that is just for the Stern Auditorium / Perelman Stage and most of the concerts that are seeming to interest me (such as the above two shows and their other new composer showcases) are in the Zankel Hall

Quote Originally Posted by VigoTheCarpathian View Post
    what a funny policy.
    They want the youngin's to go!

Also it looks like it is "Under 35." Which means I am out. Unless my girlfriend can be the purchaser and I can still go on that ticket.

Actually over half of those pieces were composed in the past 5 years.
    My bad... a bunch of those I gauged from dates I saw skimming through, many of which were "further listening" of those same artists with dates listed in the 60s and 70s (maybe I should have just said "will sound like they are 50 or 60 years old," heh...). I'm still frustrated by the absolute lack of forward thinking music from young composers. Too much of the folks being groomed in mainstream composition lean too heavily on Reich and Glass than on more progressive sources of inspiration. I leave the symphony frustrated virtually every time I go. Luckily every once in a while Mills College puts on some good events, but it kind of pales in comparison to the stuff that goes on in Paris and Berlin.

How is it possible that an electroacoustic piece (and not just some tape piece) on a program is shocking rarity in this day and age? That's been the most important kind of academic music for the last 50 years? It's appalling.

the two shows I'm going to in march are:
    http://www.sfsymphony.org/season/Eve...?eventid=50046
    http://www.sfsymphony.org/season/Eve...?eventid=50460

mostly to see Joan La Barbara (!!!) and to see that Feldman piece.

i guess my mistake is expecting that a place where an importance is placed on music as serious cultural exercise in a popular context would have serious contemporary cultural value.

I remember coming out of my first or second year of college after being exposed to really extraordinary works from spectralist composers thinking... wow. this shit is totally doable on a completely different plane now, i bet it would kill in a symphony hall! there is no large-scale venue for that kind of work here. not even strictly acoustic stuff can survive. with that said...

How fantastic would Joanna Newsom be with the LA Phil.
    This happened in 2008. She did all of Ys with the Phil and the Ys St. band. It was one of the two best performances I've ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

VigoTheCarpathian

Isn't NYC supposed to be The center of gravity for this kind of music?

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    This happened in 2008. She did all of Ys with the Phil and the Ys St. band. It was one of the two best performances I've ever seen.
    Hah, you see, I should be the director.

VigoTheCarpathian

Haha..looking for a video of that Joanna performance I found this

There aren't really any fantastic videos of the Joanna performance. It was the first time she played Esme, which was really cool.

Oh, and the version of Inflammatory Writ she did was the best I've ever heard. Two fiddles, no harpischord and her voice sounding so strong.

Oh, and Sadie!
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

VigoTheCarpathian

That's really amazing music up there wmg ^^^

Also, if anyone knows of any contemporary composers who are worth while I'd love to see this thread informed.
    I second this request. I'm woefully ignorant about contemporary music. I like a lot of Adams, some Glass. I think Corigliano is wonderful. Isn't Thomas Ades the composer du jour these days? Help us out! (No film composers, please)

BTW - "help us out" = yt clips.

Also I think I will be able to take advantage of NYPhil's 35 & Under deal where tickets are $32.50 each. Or by doing day-of tickets. We'll see how it works out and what I actually get to see!
    I wish the LA Phil offered something like this. Even their rush tickets are strictly for seniors or students. I guess Dudamel's attracted enough of a young crowd that they don't need to do this type of outreach. Damn shame.

I'm probably just a philistine, but I'm not paying $60, 70, 80+ to listen to... that. That being said, this did remind me that I've never checked out the LA Chamber Orchestra. This December concert looks like it's worth checking out:
    RAVEL Le tombeau de Couperin
    TCHAIKOVSKY Variations on a Rococo Theme for Cello and Orchestra, Op. 33
    THOMAS ADÈS Three Studies from Couperin
    RESPIGHI Gli uccelli (The Birds)
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 09-08-2011 at 07:01 PM.

VigoTheCarpathian

Who wrote this music anyone? I've heard this many times before and its so damn beautiful.