Thread: NEVER-EVER USE HOTELS.COM

Default NEVER-EVER USE HOTELS.COM

I'm a produce broker and today I booked a Hotel for a Customer at $300 a night in Key Largo Fl set for two weeks from now with Hotels.com

.. a few minutes later my customer asked if he could stay in Key West instead (90miles south of Key Largo) and of course I told him it wouldnt be a problem.

Well I called Hotels.com (five minutes later grant you) to inform them that I would like to cancel the original room in Key Largo and re-book another (more expensive room, grant you) in Key West.

They told me that I would have to pay a penalty fee of $300 (the cost of one night at the original Hotel), and then I could cancel and re-book in Key West.

Long story short ...After a long battle and a lecture on how good brokers do business from me, the "Supervisor" gave in and cancelled the original room, on one condition....that I rebook with them at a more expensive hotel in Key West. (which is exactly what I wanted to do in the first place!

Lesson: Book hotels direct or at the very least never deal with these assholes at Hotels.com!

Default Re: NEVER-EVER USE HOTELS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dangel View Post
    I'm a produce broker ...
    ???

doesn't this mean you buy and sell tomatoes and stuff?

how does this make you a travel agent?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

also, never use any online intermediary. always book hotels direct.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    ???

doesn't this mean you buy and sell tomatoes and stuff?

I LOL'd
    Quote Originally Posted by breakjaw View Post
    I hope noone stab me with belt bucklez while I line dancing so fast in Skoal Tent,please peoplez!

Banned

I'm a produce broker and today I booked a Hotel for a Customer at $300 a night in Key Largo Fl set for two weeks from now with Hotels.com

.. a few minutes later my customer asked if he could stay in Key West instead (90miles south of Key Largo) and of course I told him it wouldnt be a problem.

Well I called Hotels.com (five minutes later grant you) to inform them that I would like to cancel the original room in Key Largo and re-book another (more expensive room, grant you) in Key West.

They told me that I would have to pay a penalty fee of $300 (the cost of one night at the original Hotel), and then I could cancel and re-book in Key West.

Long story short ...After a long battle and a lecture on how good brokers do business from me, the "Supervisor" gave in and cancelled the original room, on one condition....that I rebook with them at a more expensive hotel in Key West. (which is exactly what I wanted to do in the first place!

Lesson: Book hotels direct or at the very least never deal with these assholes at Hotels.com!

What the fuck is a produce broker? Do you slang apples and cucumbers?
    Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    Marriage is a beautiful thing - everyone should try it at least twice in their lifetime.

I've never had a problem with hotels.com, in fact I booked the hotel I stayed infor Coachella there. Pretty good deal for what a nice room it was. Isn't it that person's fault for suddenly changing their mind?

p.s. Produce broker?

Lets put it this way, it would have been like me calling a truck to haul a load of Broccoli to Newark, New Jersey (cost=$5000) and then turning around and telling him (5minutes later) to go to Union City, New Jersey instead and him charging an extra $2500 freight to make the call and switch locations.

or..

Telling a shipper that my customer needs 2 Pallets of Artichokes 24 ct. and then calling him 5 minutes later to adjust it to a 18 ct artichoke instead, and then having him tell me that I can have the 18ct choke, but I will have to pay for 1 pallet of 24's without getting them...and then I can get the two pallets of 18ct choke.

A broker's job (which is what Hotel's.com is) is to accomadate the customer. It would be one thing if I called the next day after the market had changed for (rooms or chokes or truck rates). But i called 5 fucking minutes later.

And yes, I do slang fruits and veg. Somebody has got to do it. You think produce magically appears in restaurants and grocery stores?
    Last edited by Lt. Dangel; 06-06-2007 at 12:10 PM.

i loved my veggie dealer at my old job.
    '03 '04 '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '12 '13 '13

Lets put it this way, it would have been like me calling a truck to haul a load of Broccoli to Newark, New Jersey (cost=$5000) and then turning around and telling him (5minutes later) to go to Union City, New Jersey instead and him charging an extra $2500 freight to make the call and switch locations.

or..

Telling a shipper that my customer needs 2 Pallets of Artichokes 24 ct. and then calling him 5 minutes later to adjust it to a 18 ct artichoke instead, and then having him tell me that I can have the 18ct choke, but I will have to pay for 1 pallet of 24's without getting them...and then I can get the two pallets of 18ct choke.

A broker's job (which is what Hotel's.com is) is to accomadate the customer. It would be one thing if I called the next day after the market had changed for (rooms or chokes or truck rates). But i called 5 fucking minutes later.

And yes, I do slang fruits and veg. Somebody has got to do it. You think produce magically appears in restaurants and grocery stores?
    that's a cool job.

do they eat a lot of broccoli in Newark?
    do you import tomatoes from places like Chile?
    what do you think of this 'eat local' concept?

Banned

good questions Tom. I would also like to know what is the ETA from farm to table?

All third party bookers are like that; it's all in the fine print.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

do you import tomatoes from places like Chile?
    what do you think of this 'eat local' concept?

No, but many of the shippers I buy from import produce from Chile during the Winter. We are not a cooler, so we don't store anything. We just have lots of relationships with growers throughout California (Coachella is a produce hot spot if you will during the fall/winter btw), and Arizona. We know where to locate the product and have trust worthy connections that will give us fair prices on good product. It makes it convenient for our customers who need a wide variety of commodities, at a good price. We do a lot of Oranges, Lemons, Cantaloupes, Dews, Tree Fruit, Berries and a wide variety of Vegetables.

Eat local is a great idea...it just depends on the supply and demand. Obviously if you can find food locally at your farmers market or co-op then youre doing your health and your community a service. But its not always easy to find a large supply of any given commodity locally. But overall if you CAN buy locally, you should. Its just not always that easy.

All third party bookers are like that; it's all in the fine print.
    so I am learning. But still, I could understand a convenience fee of say $25, but $300 to do a customer a relatively small favor...not good business.

I would also like to know what is the ETA from farm to table?
    Could give you an ETA from Farm to Grocery store or Wholesaler (who usually re-sells to retailers (e.g. restaurants), but it would obviously be harder to give you an ETA on Farm to table.

Usually once an order is placed by say a grocery store chain a load date is also given which is the day the truck (either booked by myself or the retailer/wholesaler) will check-in to pick up the product (neatly packaged in cartons on pallets). The broker usually makes calls to find the best price for the product and also a convenient location(s) for the truck to make streamline pick/ups along major freeways. ETA depends on the truck and whether or not its on time, and on whether or not the shipper is able to supply (cut the crop in premium condition to the amount he has estimated and granted to the buyers (brokers, direct buyers etc.). Banking that everything is ready and the truck is on time and depending on where in the U.S. its going ( i only work domestic) it can run anywhere from 2-3 days to the east coast (with a "team"= two drivers basically driving non-stop=$$ to 5 to 7 days. Then the grocery store/restaurant has to decide when to make it available to the customer. That depends on supply and demand again from the store customers.

Buying and selling produce is highly organized. It can be stressful at times, if product isnt ready or trucks break-down. Brokers take a lot of heat if things dont go right because its our job to make sure everything goes as planned. When it doesnt, people dont get salads, and the restaurant loses customers, the wholesaler gets his ass kicked and we in turn get ours handed to us as well.
    Last edited by Lt. Dangel; 06-06-2007 at 02:01 PM.

I know this isn't quite your field, but it is a related line of work:

can you tell me why store-bought tomatoes taste like crap any more? I mean unless you shell out $$ for some nice heirloom tomatoes, you're gettign stuff that tastes like fucking cardboard.

this is a neat thread...
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

does that mean it's not 'cute' or 'hot'?

Banned

What is the best place to get really good produce other than the farm or farmers market.....i.e. grocer?

not sure. this thread just makes me want to eat produce...and thats a good thing...
    looking to purchase:big brother skateboarding magazine back issues. travis bean tb1000s electric guitars.

can you tell me why store-bought tomatoes taste like crap any more? I mean unless you shell out $$ for some nice heirloom tomatoes, you're gettign stuff that tastes like fucking cardboard.
    This is usually because the tomatoes you are buying are not ripened on the vine. The tomatoes you are eating are actually green tomatoes that have been stuffed in a room and gased ripe. Totally un-natural....bummer, I know.

What is the best place to get really good produce other than the farm or farmers market.....i.e. grocer?
    Here lies another great yet complicated question.

A lot depends on the buyer, or broker for a store and obviously stores like Whole Foods and other smaller quality chain grocers who also provide Organic options are going to be the best..usually simply becuase they care about quality and variety and also have a clientele thats willing to pay the difference in price.

As far a large chains go, its kind of hit and miss depending on the season, and what growers they are buying from. The better the quality the more expensive produce is going to be. Certain labels like Ocean Mist and Sunkist usually have consistently decent products but you pay for it and the difference in price in my opinion isnt always worth it. Like Tom commented, buying locally is usually going to be the freshest and most naturally grown choice, which in turn tastes and feels the best.
    Last edited by Lt. Dangel; 06-06-2007 at 02:42 PM.

Something else to think about is how grocers like to attract you with the beautiful produce and then rape you on the processed goods (e.g. cereals, crackers etc.) and dairy products.

Sometimes its best to buy your produce at one place, and your other goods someplace else (e.g. large bag it yourself stores).

Banned

How is costco when it comes produce quality compared to other grocers?

I lol'd at this too. I guess I should have changed the wording to: I wanted to do something nice for my stressed out customer in Florida so I booked a room etc..

COSTCO

I dont know, funny, I never shop there, and dont know the buying team.

Well my day here is done. Now I have to go propose an idea for a radio segment at a local radio station here thats trying to provide an alternative to the highly corporate mundane run of the mill clear channel music stations here in the Valley. Maybe you guys can help me with ideas tomorrow. I will definitely be posting a thread once I learn more about this station and their plans tonite.