View Poll Results: Who impressed you?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barack Obama

    7 35.00%
  • Dennis Kucinich

    4 20.00%
  • Mike Gravel

    4 20.00%
  • John Edwards

    3 15.00%
  • Christopher Dodd

    0 0%
  • Hillary Clinton

    2 10.00%
  • Joe Biden

    0 0%
  • Bill Richardson

    2 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 125

Thread: Democratic presidential debate

  1. #91
    old school kroqken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sherman Oaks, California.
    Posts
    5,759

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Duncan Hunter is the Pat Buchanan of Congress. Huckabee is an ordained minister. Hunter's equally right wing son is running to replace him in Congress.

  2. #92
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,827

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    The fact that we were founded by English-speaking folks does not mean that our nation should be defined as an English-speaking country. We're supposed to be a melting pot.

    What language was spoken by the people who did all the labor that made America strong? Various dialects from Africa. Until we beat English into them.

    Please don't make yourself look foolish just because you like beefing with Delta, but more importantly please don't embarass me as an American.
    i understand that english doesn't HAVE to be the de facto language. but for convenience purposes, it makes the most sense.

    first, the more people that can understand each other, the better. second, more people speak english in the U.S. than any other language. So, it only makes sense that we choose english, rather than choosing another language which would require the majority of the population to learn a new language.

    it's simply a matter of convenience.

    finally, delta is a bitch.
    Last edited by crazzz2007; 06-06-2007 at 04:49 PM.

  3. #93
    old school kroqken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sherman Oaks, California.
    Posts
    5,759

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    There was a heavy metal band in the early 1990s called SOD (Stormtroopers of Death) and they had a song called "Speak English or Die." A line in that song went "What is that dot on your forehead? Do you use it to see?" I am sure those from India would be offended by that remark.

  4. #94
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,827

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    Crazzz2007...THERE IS NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF THE UNITED STATES. Look it up. It's called a FACT.
    i recanted and said english is the "de facto" language of the us. look it up...it's a fact.

  5. #95
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    12,792

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Are you fucking joking? You say it's the "de facto" language (literal translation: in fact), and then back up your argument by saying "it's a fact?" Why, because you said it's "de facto?" What is your malfunction?

    EDIT: You obviously have no fucking clue what the practical application of that Latin phrase is. Please stop using it while embarrassing me as an American.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  6. #96
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    21,366

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Hal?

  7. #97
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,827

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Are you fucking joking? You say it's the "de facto" language (literal translation: in fact), and then back up your argument by saying "it's a fact?" Why, because you said it's "de facto?" What is your malfunction?

    EDIT: You obviously have no fucking clue what the practical application of that Latin phrase is. Please stop using it while embarrassing me as an American.
    You obviously have no idea what "de facto" means. Let me teach you.

    Dictionary.com: "Something generally accepted or agreed to without any formal decision in its favor."

    merriam-webster.com: "Being such in effect though not formally recognized."

    Hence, English is not the official language of the U.S., but it is the "de facto" language of the U.S.

    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
    Last edited by crazzz2007; 06-06-2007 at 05:00 PM.

  8. #98
    old school SubBass49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego/El Cajon
    Posts
    2,744

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    i understand that english doesn't HAVE to be the de facto language. but for convenience purposes, it makes the most sense.

    first, the more people that can understand each other, the better. second, more people speak english in the U.S. than any other language. So, it only makes sense that we choose english, rather than choosing another language which would require the majority of the population to learn a new language.

    it's simply a matter of convenience.

    finally, delta is a bitch.
    Then it makes no sense to make it the OFFICIAL language. Making it the OFFICIAL language entails the printing of all legal and government documents in THAT LANGUAGE ONLY. Thus, you would effectively (and perhaps this is why Republicans want it to happen) eliminate all voting by non-English proficient residents. That would CERTAINLY increase their share of the voting population percentage-wise.

    Right now, English is a National language...which is fine. We don't need to change that. It allows for printing of ballots, medical forms, etc. in multiple languages and allows for government money to be spent training public workers in foreign languages so that they can better serve the public (do their job).

    If you honestly think that we MUST have an OFFICIAL language, then you're dumber than I thought. No one is proposing making some other language the official language either, so I'm not sure what crevice you pulled that little gem out of, but ya oughtta put it back right away...and stuff it a little deeper this time. We don't have to "choose" any language. We never did through our entire history as a NATION OF IMMIGRANTS...I don't see our culture collapsing as the Republicans are trying to convince people will happen.
    Coachella Vet: '99, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09...

    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    SUBBASS49 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!!!!

  9. #99
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    12,792

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Who is accepting or agreeing to it? Certainly not the minority that don't speak it.

    In what way is it "in effect" whatsoever aside from the fact that most of the people that live here happen to fucking speak it?

    That does not make it the de facto language OF this country, it just happens to make it the most popular language in this country. Is Causcasian the de facto race of America too?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  10. #100
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    13,133

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Not for long.

  11. #101
    Banned thelastgreatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Wasteland (LA)
    Posts
    12,792

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Not for long.
    Eh, we still have them by about an 85 percent majority. Besides, if things start to get really out of control we'll just go Trail of Tears on their asses.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

  12. #102
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,827

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    Then it makes no sense to make it the OFFICIAL language. Making it the OFFICIAL language entails the printing of all legal and government documents in THAT LANGUAGE ONLY. Thus, you would effectively (and perhaps this is why Republicans want it to happen) eliminate all voting by non-English proficient residents. That would CERTAINLY increase their share of the voting population percentage-wise.

    Right now, English is a National language...which is fine. We don't need to change that. It allows for printing of ballots, medical forms, etc. in multiple languages and allows for government money to be spent training public workers in foreign languages so that they can better serve the public (do their job).

    If you honestly think that we MUST have an OFFICIAL language, then you're dumber than I thought. No one is proposing making some other language the official language either, so I'm not sure what crevice you pulled that little gem out of, but ya oughtta put it back right away...and stuff it a little deeper this time. We don't have to "choose" any language. We never did through our entire history as a NATION OF IMMIGRANTS...I don't see our culture collapsing as the Republicans are trying to convince people will happen.
    When did I ever say that we must have an official language? I simply said that it would make sense if everyone were required to learn english. This does not mean english must be the official language. please read what i actually said before calling me dumb. that makes you look dumb.

  13. #103
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,827

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Who is accepting or agreeing to it? Certainly not the minority that don't speak it.

    In what way is it "in effect" whatsoever aside from the fact that most of the people that live here happen to fucking speak it?

    That does not make it the de facto language OF this country, it just happens to make it the most popular language in this country. Is Causcasian the de facto race of America too?
    blah blah blah. please admit that you were wrong.

  14. #104
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,827

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    In what way is it "in effect" whatsoever aside from the fact that most of the people that live here happen to fucking speak it?
    I already listed the ways.....please read post #74.

  15. #105
    old school SubBass49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego/El Cajon
    Posts
    2,744

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    English is the official language of the U.S.
    Happy?

    Then you started throwing around your word-of-the-day calendar page (de facto)...

    Later you said,
    So, it only makes sense that we choose english, rather than choosing another language which would require the majority of the population to learn a new language
    What are we "choosing?" What is it being "chosen" for? The de-facto language? It already is according to you. The National Language? It already is one. The only thing left to "choose" would be an official language, since we do not have one. Your choice of wording strongly indicates that you feel that English should be the official language of the United States. So, perhaps YOU should read what you wrote before calling me dumb, because that makes you look even more dumb than we already know that you are.
    Coachella Vet: '99, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09...

    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    SUBBASS49 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!!!!

  16. #106
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,827

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Eh, we still have them by about an 85 percent majority. Besides, if things start to get really out of control we'll just go Trail of Tears on their asses.
    and I'm the one embarrassing you? you embarrass yourself just fine.

  17. #107
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,827

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    Happy?
    Just a few posts ago, I said that "i recanted and said english is the de facto language of the us. look it up...it's a fact."

    again, you're not reading what i said.

    again, when did i ever say english should be the official language?

  18. #108
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,827

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    What are we "choosing?" What is it being "chosen" for? The de-facto language? It already is according to you. The National Language? It already is one. The only thing left to "choose" would be an official language, since we do not have one. Your choice of wording strongly indicates that you feel that English should be the official language of the United States. So, perhaps YOU should read what you wrote before calling me dumb, because that makes you look even more dumb than we already know that you are.
    ok, i'll say it again. english is the de facto language of the us. everyone should be required to learn english. there is no need to make it the official language.

    what are we choosing? we are choosing which language everyone should be able to speak (i.e. a universal language for this country). for some reason, you can't understand simple sentences.

  19. #109
    old school SubBass49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego/El Cajon
    Posts
    2,744

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    You asked me, "again, when did i ever say english should be the official language?"

    My answer is simple. When you said it already was.

    I believe your exact words were, "English is the official language of the U.S."

    You then supposedly recanted (actually it was more of a change in terminology, but whatever) but your "suggestions" if you want to call them such still pointed towards you favoring some form of legislation mandating English in America. I went beyond understanding your simple sentences...I actually evaluated and analyzed them.

    Regardless, we don't need to choose anything. Every single person in the United States, legal, illegal, citizen, resident alien, or whatever KNOWS that to get ahead in the U.S. you need to learn English. It's already KNOWN. We don't need to choose anything. Why must people like you feel the constant need to remind people that are from other nations that they are somehow a lower class of people by parroting the veiled racism of "people should have to learn English" spouted by the likes of Duncan Hunter? No action is required for people to know that they need to learn English. It's unnecessary...a waste of time...political posturing to please the ignorant masses of which you are a small part. It's the political equivalent to the old, "you ain't from 'round here are ya boy?"

    Immigrants have been coming to this nation since before it was founded, and not all of them spoke English. In most cases, the first generations held on to their linguistic ties and traditions, thus the Little Italy/ChinaTown/Dutch Town/German Town designations in many cities. They found strength and comfort in their own people. Their children typically tried to maintain a balance between the ways of their parents, and the ways of their own land of birth. They typically learned English and adopted cultural ways of americans. THE SAME THINGS ARE HAPPENING TODAY. Did America suffer because of how it happened in the past? No. Did America lose it's culture because of the way it happened in the past? No. In fact I would venture to say that America became a STRONGER nation because of the multicultural influences that helped to build it.

    I am, however, glad that you finally stated what was obvious from the beginning, "there is no need to make it the official language." At least you got that part right finally.
    Last edited by SubBass49; 06-06-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: added info
    Coachella Vet: '99, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09...

    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    SUBBASS49 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!!!!

  20. #110
    Brackish African wmgaretjax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    18,553

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    i recanted and said english is the de facto language of the us. look it up...it's a fact.
    hahahahaha.

  21. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Posts
    3,500

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    SubBass for the KILL.

    E

  22. #112
    old school crazzz2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,827

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by SubBass49 View Post
    You asked me, "again, when did i ever say english should be the official language?"

    My answer is simple. When you said it already was.

    I believe your exact words were, "English is the official language of the U.S."

    You then supposedly recanted (actually it was more of a change in terminology, but whatever) but your "suggestions" if you want to call them such still pointed towards you favoring some form of legislation mandating English in America. I went beyond understanding your simple sentences...I actually evaluated and analyzed them.

    Regardless, we don't need to choose anything. Every single person in the United States, legal, illegal, citizen, resident alien, or whatever KNOWS that to get ahead in the U.S. you need to learn English. It's already KNOWN. We don't need to choose anything. Why must people like you feel the constant need to remind people that are from other nations that they are somehow a lower class of people by parroting the veiled racism of "people should have to learn English" spouted by the likes of Duncan Hunter? No action is required for people to know that they need to learn English. It's unnecessary...a waste of time...political posturing to please the ignorant masses of which you are a small part. It's the political equivalent to the old, "you ain't from 'round here are ya boy?"

    Immigrants have been coming to this nation since before it was founded, and not all of them spoke English. In most cases, the first generations held on to their linguistic ties and traditions, thus the Little Italy/ChinaTown/Dutch Town/German Town designations in many cities. They found strength and comfort in their own people. Their children typically tried to maintain a balance between the ways of their parents, and the ways of their own land of birth. They typically learned English and adopted cultural ways of americans. THE SAME THINGS ARE HAPPENING TODAY. Did America suffer because of how it happened in the past? No. Did America lose it's culture because of the way it happened in the past? No. In fact I would venture to say that America became a STRONGER nation because of the multicultural influences that helped to build it.

    I am, however, glad that you finally stated what was obvious from the beginning, "there is no need to make it the official language." At least you got that part right finally.
    this is the biggest pile of bullshit i've ever read. nothing you write will change the fact that there are many people living in this country who can't speak english. and these people should be taught the language. if they can't afford lessons, it should be provided free of charge by the government.

    please don't play the racist card. that's the easy way out. and it certainly doesn't apply to me. i myself am an immigrant. i did not speak a word of english when i came to the u.s., and i believe that learning the english language should be mandatory to becoming a citizen. just because you disagree does not make my view "veiled racism." you have shown your true colors, you ignorant piece of shit.

  23. #113
    Member Ill_Eagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Lock
    Posts
    1,476

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    rofl.
    Last edited by Ill_Eagle; 06-07-2007 at 02:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by breakjaw View Post
    I hope noone stab me with belt bucklez while I line dancing so fast in Skoal Tent,please peoplez!

  24. #114
    Member Good Days Last's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,330

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate


  25. #115
    old school SubBass49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego/El Cajon
    Posts
    2,744

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Quote Originally Posted by crazzz2007 View Post
    this is the biggest pile of bullshit i've ever read. nothing you write will change the fact that there are many people living in this country who can't speak english. and these people should be taught the language. if they can't afford lessons, it should be provided free of charge by the government.

    please don't play the racist card. that's the easy way out. and it certainly doesn't apply to me. i myself am an immigrant. i did not speak a word of english when i came to the u.s., and i believe that learning the english language should be mandatory to becoming a citizen. just because you disagree does not make my view "veiled racism." you have shown your true colors, you ignorant piece of shit.
    Haha...pile of bullshit? You're funny...sometimes.

    1. Immigrants ARE taught the language if they want to be taught. I think I would know. The community where I teach has been the biggest stopping point for refugees since the 1970s with perhaps the exception of Long Beach. There are ESL programs in the schools and community education centers with FREE English courses for any community member that comes through...and the programs are advertised in the various multi-lingual newspapers in the area. Vietnamese, Cambodian, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Urdu, Arabic, etc. All these groups maintain a strong presence in the neighborhood, and ALL are able to learn English if they have the time/motivation. So yay...there goes your first paragraph. On a side note I once dated a Cambodian girl, and her mom learned to speak English by watching Wheel of Fortune.

    2. As far as "playing the racist card" goes, it doesn't matter that you're an immigrant. You've never heard someone from Honduras be racist against someone from Mexico & vice versa? Somali kids have never been called names by Cambodian kids & vice versa? Racism knows no boundaries of language or immigration status. Hell, you could say that Tom Tancredo can't be racist because his lineage is that of immigrants. I'd have to call bullshit though if you did.

    3. So you came here and learned English. Good for you. How old were you when you came? What language was your native language? Did you have a job? Did you have to work two, or even three jobs to help your family survive? How did you learn English? Did you live in a safe neighborhood? Was there a support structure of family already living here? All very important questions that you have to consider. Just because YOU did it doesn't mean it'd be so easy for others...but you have the nerve to call ME ignorant? Your self-centered little world view is beyond my comprehension. Anyway, I said that you parroted the veiled racism that is spouted...perhaps it is your ignorance that has you doing that, but believe me...when it comes from the mouths of people like Hunter and Tancredo is is THINLY veiled racism.

    4. So...rather than pointing the ignorant stick at me, why don't you take a look in the mirror and see that just because you did it doesn't mean it should be applied as a law to EVERY IMMIGRANT. THAT would be ignorant. Perhaps you are not a racist, but that doesn't mean that these proposals are not made by some of the most vile racists in congressional clothing...

    Be sure to drop off your text book on the way out. Your education is complete.
    Coachella Vet: '99, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09...

    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    SUBBASS49 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!!!!

  26. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Posts
    3,500

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Crazzz is undoubtedly a racist. Maybe he's too stupid to know it.

    E

  27. #117
    old school SubBass49's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    San Diego/El Cajon
    Posts
    2,744

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Someone should kidnap him and haul him off to the Museum of Tolerance in L.A....definately be a worthwhile stop for him.
    Coachella Vet: '99, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09...

    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    SUBBASS49 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!!!!

  28. #118
    old school kroqken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sherman Oaks, California.
    Posts
    5,759

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    People sometimes mix up the term de facto with the term de jure. Even if there were an official language in this country, people would still speak whatever language they want anyway.
    Last edited by kroqken; 06-07-2007 at 09:01 AM.

  29. #119
    Coachella Junkie algunz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rustin' in Tustin
    Posts
    21,366

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Please people, if you are going to argue about language make sure that yours is appropriate.

    English is a proper noun - give it a capital letter, it deserves at least that much.

  30. #120
    old school kroqken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sherman Oaks, California.
    Posts
    5,759

    Default Re: Democratic presidential debate

    Wow, the poll is closed and both Biden and Dodd received ZERO votes.

Similar Threads

  1. The GOP Debate
    By mob roulette in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 11:24 AM
  2. It's raining dead Ohian Liberal Presidential Historians
    By full on idle in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 10:08 PM
  3. Help settle a debate
    By Sally Cinnamon in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 09:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •