Thread: Im a type 1 diabetic.......and a vegetarian.....

Lurker

Question Im a type 1 diabetic.......and a vegetarian.....

am I going to be able to keep a back pack inside? ( this will be my first coachella) im clueless.

Default Re: Im a type 1 diabetic.......and a vegetarian.....

You're not allowed to bring in any food or drink with you. I think prescription medication is OK as long as your name is on the bottle and you check it in with the medic tent.

There is plenty of vegetarian/vegan food available, though.

Here you go:

What about bringing in my medical prescription? example: Diabetic insulin?
    You should identify yourselves to security while waiting to enter the venue. Security will locate the medical folks adjacent to the main entrance, and they will assist you in storing and providing a secure area for diabetics. ALL Medical prescriptions and accompanying names on those containers will need to match the person's proper ID.
    Last edited by Mystagogue; 01-25-2007 at 08:01 PM.

read the FAQ

im diabetic! woo! ill just leave my insulin in the tent... and buy shit if i get a low... and if im high, ill start running around pretending rage is already on stage. lol

I am also a type 1 diabetic. I've attended Coachella 5 different years and have never had a problem bringing in my insulin and syringes. I usually go to one of the first aid stations to inject.

Thanks for sharing Kimkam, that is very helpful info for others to hear!
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Lurker

Smile Re: Im a type 1 diabetic.......and a vegetarian.....

Cool, thx everyone.

There are plenty of vegetarian choices. There was a place from Oregon last year that made one of the best tofu burgers I've ever eaten.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Hi Shell1982,

I'm also a type 1 diabetic and have attended the last 2 years. You should not have any problems with bringing your insulin and needles in. They will suggest you bring it to the first aid area to keep it cold, but you really don't need to do this because it will be a hassle to go there every time you may need it. You may also lose track of your friends and your spots for acts. Keep it on you, out of sun light. Obviously insulin should be kept cold, but if you keep it on you and then put it back in your cooler at night, you should have no problems with it going bad. I just bring a backpack and keep all my supplies on me at all time. I use a humalog pen and i've had no problems with it. I had the unfortunate problems of getting low both times, in 2005/2006 at the front of the main stage. Always have a pepsi with you at all times. I cannot stress that enough. I almost passed out during Tool last year when I was buried at the front. Security was really cool... buddy gave me a full pepsi.

I met a girl there last year who was diabetic, who came by herself. She didn't have a good time, her sugars ran high the whole time becuase she was afraid of getting low. Just make sure to keep yourself hydrated and eat at your specific times. If there was anytime in your life to be very responsible with your diabetes, it would be that weekend.

I was actually able to bring an insulated lunch pouch with a freezer pack in it all five years I've attended. I just showed it to security upon entry (with insulin and syringes inside pouch) and they were fine with it after a brief explanation. We stayed in hotels with fridge/freezers in the rooms so I could re-freeze overnight. If camping, ice and coolers will do.

Any one have any experience getting in with a pump? Or using their pump during the heat? I am bringing my 15 yr old Type 1 daughter and am a little cautious about the whole thing...as well as wondering about carrying juice/pepsi...do they sell it in cans or bottles that she can carry in a back pack just in case she goes low? Particularly if I let her go off on her own or with her friends since she and I have different interests in the bands...Not sure I am up for an entire set of Tilly and the Wall but she is!

Quote Originally Posted by Boredjd3 View Post
    Any one have any experience getting in with a pump? Or using their pump during the heat? I am bringing my 15 yr old Type 1 daughter and am a little cautious about the whole thing...as well as wondering about carrying juice/pepsi...do they sell it in cans or bottles that she can carry in a back pack just in case she goes low? Particularly if I let her go off on her own or with her friends since she and I have different interests in the bands...Not sure I am up for an entire set of Tilly and the Wall but she is!
    The vendors at Coachella sell cans and bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCutestBoyAlive View Post
    The vendors at Coachella sell cans and bottles.
    Thanks...I will feel a lot better letting her go off if I know she can keep something with her.

Although, I'm not a vegetarian, I basically become one during Coachella. They have great healthy food choices and I'm always afraid of eating some big greasy burger, burrito, etc and then camping out in the port-o-pottys during the acts I want to see.

4 years and still haven't had to crap at the festival...I'd like to keep that streak alive.

Although one time I rolled the dice with some Thai chicken curry...It was delicious and settled well!

I have a pump. I switch to the pen when going to coachella. I don't know about your daughter, but I sweat buckets in the coachella heat. The adheasive just didn't want to stay on because of it. I would say bring both if her pump is crucial, if not - switch to syringes or a pen.

I'm type 1 as well and have used my pump at the last 2 festivals.

First year, they took the juice I brought for low blood sugars from me, so I started bringing those glucose tabs in case of low blood sugar. I've had a hard time keeping my sugar up with the heat, dancing, walking, and general craziness. I'd really advise to bring the glucose tabs along to have a back-up handy. I wouldn't want to make a friend go get me sugar during a good show!

Quote Originally Posted by norjah View Post
    I'm type 1 as well and have used my pump at the last 2 festivals.

First year, they took the juice I brought for low blood sugars from me, so I started bringing those glucose tabs in case of low blood sugar. I've had a hard time keeping my sugar up with the heat, dancing, walking, and general craziness. I'd really advise to bring the glucose tabs along to have a back-up handy. I wouldn't want to make a friend go get me sugar during a good show!
    No but that is what moms are for! I will keep that in mind and talk with her about the pump vs. pen. She hates the tabs but will let her make that call and just buy stuff as soon as we are in. We have done concerts before but nothing like this hence my general concern. I usually try not to hover so much but the heat and overall scene have my mom overprotectiveness rocketing into over drive. Thanks.