Page 621 of 642 FirstFirst ... 616617618619620621622623624625626 ... LastLast
Results 18,601 to 18,630 of 19238

Thread: The Girls Only Thread

Default Re: The Girls Only Thread

Yea, I was going to say, that doesn't seem very flattering to a bride to be...

My $0.02... a bridal shower is a family & friends event, which should include female family members on the groom's side as well, and might optionally include close female friends of the groom. (I'd say it depends on whether that person is expected to be a close friend to them as a couple). Since many of the attendees may not know each other, you need to have an agenda with planned activities that act as a mixer so people have reason to meet each other and talk, not to mention, something to do to fill time and dead air in case people aren't socializing much. Since family is there, racy games aren't appropriate. Door prizes for games are pretty standard, but they can be small items.

Gifts are expected at a shower. The type of gift really depends on the bride and groom's situation. For example, housewares (especially kitchen stuff) are traditional, but if the bride and groom are already living together or already had their own households, they may not want or need those things. The gifts are for the bride, not the couple. (Kitchenwares were considered "bride's gifts traditionally, since the woman's place is in the kitchen? heh) Some people decide to go with something NOT household related to get away from gender role stereotypes. Lingerie is an option, but you'd have to consider whether you know the bride's tastes (and size) and whether what you'd buy would be appropriate to unwrap in front of her relatives, or her husband to be's relatives. At most showers I've been to, the bride got a lot of small/less expensive kitchen items, tasteful lingerie, and pampering products, while the more expensive stuff was left on the registry for wedding gifts.

Bachelorette party is a friends only event, and totally agree that you should just check the list with the bride. I've been lucky that my friends who got married also more or less told us what they would like to do for their bachelorette party, so all we had to do was schedule it and pay for it. I don't think there is anything you "have to" do, but make sure you know if there is anything the bride really wants or really doesn't want (such as if they are really against having a stripper), and also make sure that whatever you have plans is financially feasible for everyone involved. Other than that, obviously don't let the bride pay for anything.

I've been to a couple of bridal showers where they had interviewed the groom and we had to guess the answers & then see how many the bride got right. That was pretty fun as long as you ask the right questions.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

why do these events have to have all these stupid fucking games?!?
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

I don't understand the purpose of a bridal shower if you're already going to get gifts at the wedding. It feels like double-dipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

I don't really understand you're-supposed-to-throw-me-a-party culture in general.

Me either. I understand family and friends wanting to celebrate your domestic choices and happiness, but it shouldn't issue as a mandate. I find it very odd.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

I always thought they were a chance for the bride to get all the girly stuff & toys you want for the wedding night & honeymoon, but they have sadly turned into a let's get another salad spinner.

The fun bachelorette I attended recently began in the afternoon at an old school style roller rink. The dress code was for sequins, so we all skated around and chatted and sparkled under the lights. That was fun. Then we met up at house for a BBQ supper and a party bus came and got us and took us bar hopping. No lines or covers and cheap drinks at each bar, and you could drink and dance on the bus during the ride. It was a good time.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I always thought they were a chance for the bride to get all the girly stuff & toys you want for the wedding night & honeymoon, but they have sadly turned into a let's get another salad spinner.
    That seems weird to me too. Wouldn't someone already have toys if that was a thing they were interested in? Plus it's not like some third party is going to know what works best for that couple, so I feel like it's a bunch of crappy cheap plastic shit that won't even get used.

I don't know. I have a hard enough time understanding why marital status can impact various financial and social rights enjoyed by individuals/couples.

It was always my understanding that the "toys" given at these dumb bachelorette parties weren't even realistic toys, but like, "haha! a penis shaped cookie cutter!" with the implication being that like, the woman is finally going to get to see a dick. Or something. So they inundate her with dick shaped things.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I just can't even.

Also, if one of my girl friends ever gave me a sex toy, I feel like I'd inevitably be thinking of them while using it. "Oh this feels so amazing/I still need to write her a thank you card!!" No.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    That's not true, actually. Housewares (and to some extent boudoir items) are traditional, the toys thing is very recent. It's essentially a replacement for the concept of having these things as part of a dowry. A wife would come to the new household with household items. It seems like the lingerie/toys thing is backlash against the outmoded gender norms that supports. The gifts were small compared to the wedding gifts. It's not really double dipping. People used to get things like kitchen utensils, kitchen linens, bathroom accessories, small/inexpensive things like that, which would probably not be received as wedding gifts because they are so inexpensive, but that nonetheless the couple would need. Obviously that is less of a need these days when most couples getting married have already lived together, or at least had their own households, and are not moving directly from their parents home to a marital home.

If any of my friends bought me a toy, I would TOTALLY think of them when I used it... hey ladies....

Also this isn't the right place for it, but where is? Last night I had a horrible nightmare that I had sex repeatedly with a boardie I can't stand. Thankfully the actual sex wasn't in the dream. I just dreamed that I kept waking up next to him with that "oh fuck, what did I do last night" feeling, and that when I'd leave him alone to go shower and scrub myself until I didn't feel revolted anymore, he trashed my place. Like, in the dream, multiple nights in a row.

Cara, with the short version of the URL displayed, I really really hoped that was going to be an article about techno.

I am moving into my own place pretty soon, I might fake a marriage just to get some kitchen towels and bathroom accessories.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Cara, with the short version of the URL displayed, I really really hoped that was going to be an article about techno.
    Nope, just an app to track data about our vaginal mucus!

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I am moving into my own place pretty soon, I might fake a marriage just to get some kitchen towels and bathroom accessories.
    Congrats! I've been in my studio (alone) for a month now. Loving it!

Is the sending of SEX PICTURES via text considered a consolation prize when the person can't actually come 'round? What's the logic there? The only thing they generate with me is some dubious laughter at the sender's expense.

I think some guys are just very proud of their parts, and want to share them with the world one text message at a time.

Mine takes 2 text messages to appreciate.

Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I think some guys are just very proud of their parts, and want to share them with the world one text message at a time.
    Illiterate little pricks.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

One of my friends (more of an acquaintance) is going into business for herself selling jewelry. Kind of like Mary Kay but with bling. I don't wear jewelry and I really hate these types of parties, but she is pushing hard for me to go because she thinks I can get other girls to go too. I know as her friend I should support her, but as my friend she should know me well enough to know this is not my type of thing, plus it's a weeknight and doesn't start till 7. I offered to pass the catalog around and see if I can drum up sales that way, but she just keeps pushing. It makes me feel bad, but if I go I know I am going to feel even worse.

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

At the party, or just in general? I think I have that covered in general, at least on the weekends.

I just don't understand why women still do these things. Or maybe it's older women. None of my younger girlfriends throw candle/makeup/jewelry parties. Thank goodness!

Just say no, loca. Use that backbone.

I endorse a casual "fuck off".

I'll go with you!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

For once, I agree with Mis.

I prefer to be independent when I shop...

I hate forced purchase parties. I normally blow them off.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.