Page 594 of 644 FirstFirst ... 589590591592593594595596597598599 ... LastLast
Results 17,791 to 17,820 of 19308

Thread: The Girls Only Thread

Default Re: The Girls Only Thread

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    If you're a girl.
    I was wondering why I saw Tom ITT.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, who the hell is this Godspeed asshole?

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Oh man, I took a muscle relaxer for the first time ever, a month ago, and let's just say, I didn't realize how much pain I am in on a daily basis until then. Made so much more of a difference than pain pills do even.

Of course i am being stubborn about going to a doctor to see about actually getting a prescription, because I'm assuming I'd have to go to PT, not just get pills. :P
    My old doc loved writing scripts for muscle relaxers. Last time I went for a kink in my neck he gave me 4 refills. Unfortunately the prescription expired just before I got on my new insurance and I lost out on all of those lovely little pills. The only thing I don't like is they make me feel groggy the next day if I don't get a full 8 hours of sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Oh man, I took a muscle relaxer for the first time ever, a month ago, and let's just say, I didn't realize how much pain I am in on a daily basis until then. Made so much more of a difference than pain pills do even.

Of course i am being stubborn about going to a doctor to see about actually getting a prescription, because I'm assuming I'd have to go to PT, not just get pills. :P
    I made the mistake of going to Ikea on Soma once (my husband drove). I can barely function in Ikea under normal conditions, but I broke some little jars somehow, and AS the lady is sweeping it up, I go around the corner and bump a table and knock something else over. I don't know what it was because my husband shouted, "run!" and for some reason, I ran. (I am not the type that would run away from something like that!) That stuff makes me looooopy! But it works.
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

Quote Originally Posted by Radtechnique View Post
    I was wondering why I saw Tom ITT.
    He doesn't really belong here, but he is always very polite so we usually don't complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by CaseSensitive View Post
    my husband shouted, "run!"
    This made me lol pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    This made me lol pretty hard.
    Ha, it WAS pretty funny at the time, especially if you knew what a rule follower I am.

Also, I'm sorry you're in pain

Another fantastic Lindy West aka my hero article: http://jezebel.com/female-purity-is-bullshit-493278191

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

Obviously our society's collective virgin/whore complex is dumb beyond all belief, but I feel it's really tiresome how Jezebel sometimes picks out random small non-legit internet articles and sources just to have something to quote and complain about.

What do you mean by non-legit, though? I think their focus on source material from blog reader comments and other stuff is a completely valid arena of discourse to critique.

In other news, my housemate told me today that one of my classmates in grad school "hates me" because "I get picked for everything she wants." Why do women do this to each other? Wouldn't it be nice to be in a place where women cheer each other on for their accomplishments, and go to each other for advice and encouragement instead of being catty and putting each other down?

I'm so fucking over it.

Good thing excessive sensitivity to any perceived gender bias and frequent overreaction to little things that aren't really all that important aren't stereotypes women have been facing since the dawn of time, or Jezebel might be setting us back rather than moving us forward.

Oh, wait.

"BONERS ARE NOT THE BOSS OF YOU."

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    In other news, my housemate told me today that one of my classmates in grad school "hates me" because "I get picked for everything she wants." Why do women do this to each other? Wouldn't it be nice to be in a place where women cheer each other on for their accomplishments, and go to each other for advice and encouragement instead of being catty and putting each other down?

I'm so fucking over it.
    Philosophically, I agree with you. But if this person feels like you're taking the opportunities they want, this isn't about your accomplishments and probably isn't really gender related at all. It's about the consequent absence of those opportunities for the rest of the class.

What do you mean by non-legit, though? I think their focus on source material from blog reader comments and other stuff is a completely valid arena of discourse to critique.
    I feel like sometimes Jezebel articles quote sources which have very small readerships, and don't reflect much beyond the individual author (whose influence on the greater internet community is very small). By quoting these guys, they are bringing clicks and new readers and whatever to otherwise dark little corners of the internet.

There was a Jezebel article recently that discussed that WSJ article on maintaining a healthy sex life during marriage, and I think those sorts of Jezebel articles tend to be much stronger because they address a topic in a way that demonstrates the extent of its saturation within our media culture.

The classmate can be frustrated by having to continually take second place to Courtney, but to use words like hate is a pretty typical and silly female response. Of course, was "hate" her word or the roommates?

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Philosophically, I agree with you. But if this person feels like you're taking the opportunities they want, this isn't about your accomplishments and probably isn't really gender related at all. It's about the consequent absence of those opportunities for the rest of the class.
    I would say this is true, EXCEPT that I have never experienced this kind of reaction with a male colleague, and I semi-frequently experience it with female ones. Moreover, I only experience it with female colleagues who are American.

I guess we're viewing it from different ends of the interaction. It may have been a "typically female" (ergh) response from her, but I don't think it really matters that ​you're female. It only matters that you take what she wants. I wouldn't view that as a female dynamic issue–I'd view it as a bitchy jealous girl issue.

I've also known some pretty fucking catty dudes in academia. The last person I clashed over research with was male, and he wound up plagiarizing my work in pursuit of "winning." The conflict was laughably one-sided, and it all came entirely from him.

The whole use of the word "hate" is far, far, far more prominent when women talk or compare themselves to other women than it is in other gender relationships. "She's soo skinny, I hate her." "Don't you just hate her?"

I'm too tired to come up with a critical reason as to why this is, beyond that we're conditioned so young to see other women as (sexual) competitors.

Hannah, that's a good point. I think it's also worth noting that in business school, there's still serious gender inequality so in some weird backward sense I think male classmates may not see female classmates as a "threat" because female students are still a significant minority. And like 99.9% of CEOs (or some similarly absurd statistic) are still men.

The whole use of the word "hate" is far, far, far more prominent when women talk or compare themselves to other women than it is in other gender relationships. "She's soo skinny, I hate her." "Don't you just hate her?"

I'm too tired to come up with a critical reason as to why this is, beyond that we're conditioned so young to see other women as (sexual) competitors.
    "Hate" as a boiling, churning, vessel-rupturing emotion and "hate" as a linguistic trend aren't exactly the same thing.

Hannah, that's a good point. I think it's also worth noting that in business school, there's still serious gender inequality so in some weird backward sense I think male classmates may not see female classmates as a "threat" because female students are still a significant minority. And like 99.9% of CEOs (or some similarly absurd statistic) are still men.
    Well, the person who doesn't see you as a threat is clearly going to regret it. Even with the demographic disparity, though, would you rather this woman swallow her natural frustration with you on the basis that you're a female and the two of you just have to stick together and get along gosh darnit? I know I'd rather be vilified for my success than emotionally shielded purely because I have interior plumbing.

Would this situation change if your receipt of the opportunities/accolades in question didn't diminish those available for this other woman? Would she still "hate" you purely for being successful? Or would she shift the focus back to her own work where it damn well belongs?

Well, if she was smart, she would invite me out for a friendly coffee or a beer and pick my brain about what I'm doing in terms of cover letters or interviews or whatever that she is not. And then she would steal that tactic and beat me at my own game. That's what a couple of my female classmates from other countries have done, under the guise of asking for advice, and I applaud them for it. I feel like learning from your peer's strengths is a win-win situation in most cases because everyone has something unique to bring to the table.

I don't know if the situation would change if there were unlimited opportunities, but for whatever it is worth I do feel like for all practical purposes there ARE unlimited opportunities when it comes to things like summer internships given the myriad of fantastic companies and programs. And even within the internship program I was chosen and she was not, the company took 12 interns in total and I only took up one spot out of those 12.

And even within the internship program I was chosen and she was not, the company took 12 interns in total and I only took up one spot out of those 12.
    Well, that's pretty stupidly hyperbolic, then. Does she work at Jezebel?

I feel like sometimes Jezebel articles quote sources which have very small readerships, and don't reflect much beyond the individual author (whose influence on the greater internet community is very small). By quoting these guys, they are bringing clicks and new readers and whatever to otherwise dark little corners of the internet.

There was a Jezebel article recently that discussed that WSJ article on maintaining a healthy sex life during marriage, and I think those sorts of Jezebel articles tend to be much stronger because they address a topic in a way that demonstrates the extent of its saturation within our media culture.
    I dislike your use of the term "non-legit" when referring to the types of sources that Jezebel sometimes uses for their critical pieces, because as I see it, these "dark little corners of the internet" where men are subjugating and sexualizing women aren't removed and isolated instances of rogue misogyny. These corners of the internet are examples of how saturated our system is from top to bottom with the line of thinking that women are, first and foremost, bodies to be controlled. The readership of the Coachella Message Board is small, but that doesn't make the moments when male posters resort to sexualized attacks any less legit as a point to critique than a WSJ article. Like, nearly every time some noob gets offended by comments I make -- about logic, music, culture -- the most typical retort is to lash out comments that fall under the lines of "guedita has a dry vagina/oh she is just an ugly bitch/I'd never fuck her." These types of responses belie the pervasiveness of our patriarchal culture that Jezebel covers, but they are so....normative. What I'm saying is all moments of misogyny are legitimate because they are influenced by and perpetuating the larger problem. And, if Jezebel is leading readers to these low-readership sites, then they are in fact actively creating awareness of how expansive the problem really is.

i don't think you have a dry vagina.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    10/16 Massive Attack@Greek - 10/19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/21 Superhumanoids - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Beach Goth@Observatory - 10/27 Tycho/Com Truise@Glass House - 10/28 Bear Hands@Roxy - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda - 11/3 Galantis/Booka Shade@Mayan - 11/8 Digitalism@El Rey - 11/14 DFA1979@Regent - 11/15 The Presets@Regent

There are several satisfactory lubrication products available at her local pharmacy anyway.

Is 'purity' an actual real life issue that real women who date real man actually face these days? I mean I guess I understand it is still a thing in Utah and other cultural backwaters, and maybe that's the article's point, but still. Is it really a part of mainstream society? Or at least mainstream educated/sophisticated/cosmopolitan society? I'm genuinely asking.

also Courtney: in my mind using the word 'hate' as your friend did is a marker for stupidity. Or at least simplicity. It's child talk, not adult talk.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Tom, I'll have to get back to you on the purity thing. (god I hope not at my age)

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Is 'purity' an actual real life issue that real women who date real man actually face these days?
    Yes. Not necessarily in the extremest, virginal sense of the term, but in terms of women having to deal with bizarre double-standards about their sexual history being judged, yes. I've experienced it, my friends have experienced it, it's fucking stupid.