Page 549 of 635 FirstFirst ... 544545546547548549550551552553554 ... LastLast
Results 16,441 to 16,470 of 19044

Thread: The Girls Only Thread

Default Re: The Girls Only Thread

Crafty ladies, my daughter is starting to become more interested in sewing and crafts with fabric and felt. Can anyone recommend some kind of craft she could do? She has been home for fall break all week with her sister, and she has been looking up tutorials on how to sew stuffed animals and Barbie furniture (!!) on Youtube, and has already made several items. I don't sew. I'm not very knowledgable about crafts, except I like making friendship bracelets with embroidery thread. Can anyone give me some ideas to pass on to her?

Looking at you, Hannah, Courtney, and Alma. (or whoever else!)
    Last edited by amyzzz; 10-12-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

what is her skill level? i remember pillows being the first thing i tried to make. also clothes! things like simple skirts & dresses. it's a good way to get her used to patterns too.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Crafty ladies, my daughter is starting to become more insterested in sewing and crafts with fabric and felt. Can anyone recommend some kind of craft she could do? She has been home for fall break all week with her sister, and she has been looking up tutorials on how to sew stuffed animals and Barbie furniture (!!) on Youtube, and has already made several items. I don't sew. I'm not very knowledgable about crafts, except I like making friendship bracelets with embroidery thread. Can anyone give me some ideas to pass on to her?

Looking at you, Hannah, Courtney, and Alma. (or whoever else!)
    http://www.marthastewart.com/274503/felt-crafts#/202795
    Some really cute ideas here. Especially the Pumpkin People, just in time for Halloween/Thanksgiving.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Thanks for the ideas! Her skill level is very basic, but she has made some small pillows sewing with thread. She is very determined and much sharper about these things than her mommy.
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

The first things we made were mufflers (like wool woven scarfs) and pillows. A simple skirt with an elastic waistband. Loose pull-over sleeveless shirts. Doing clothing that needs a zipper is much more difficult, as would be setting in sleeves. If you go to a fabric store, they should be able to help you pick a beginner's pattern or two.

Some of the other projects I was given when I was young were those loop potholders (kind of pointless, but you learn to weave), small hand-sewing tasks like sewing a button or fixing a hem that is coming undone. I wish I'd learned to knit when I was younger too. That turned out to be pretty easy, at least until you start using patterns. It's really easy to just make a scarf.

Is cross-stitch really passe? My mom used to do it, so I tried it for a while, and I think that's the main reason my hand sewing is so precise and even. (You get used to making even stitches). It's easy to do since the fabric has tiny holes to guide where you stitch, and it's easier to read the patterns than doing embroidery.

Edit: I tend to think of cross stitch as being stupid homey samplers, but people do some cool things with it. I remember my mom once did a family "portrait" that had our extended family on both sides (like 50+ people) and you could actually easily pick everyone out.

Also people who are really good do stuff like this in cross stitch...
    Last edited by chiapet; 10-12-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Voodoo dolls!
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

i always loved cross-stitch.

Yea, I was just looking at patterns, there is some really cool stuff now. I'm not sure what I'd do with the finished pieces though. Maybe hanging them like you'd hang a canvas (mounted, unframed)?

how the holy fuck do people walk around in heel-less boots?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/jeffrey-...ts+%26+Booties

That looks like footwear the eyeless, long-tongued female monsters would wear in Hellraiser 5.
    Last edited by amyzzz; 10-12-2012 at 02:44 PM.

We were out to dinner last month and saw a woman quickly cross the street in super high, heel-less strappy dress sandals, so her entire foot/ankle wasn't even enclosed. We had no freakin' idea how she did it.

And god, those things are ugly. I don't know what would possess someone to buy a pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    god, those things are ugly.
    Yes. I already said that.

Amy, you like Hellraiser. Therefore, the assumption could be made that you find the boots attractive.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Maybe if I was into really ugly bdsm I would like that.

Ugly shoes are art, apparently
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, and SOON 2014 W1 & 2014 W2!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Voodoo dolls!
    Ha, my friends and I made so many of these in junior high sewing class. The detail we were able to achieve was extraordinary.

I wll have to look into those.

I think Heidi's on the right track with knitting and/or crocheting - those are pretty good (and portable) kid-friendly crafts and they're popular enough that there's a ton of information available and the materials are really easy to find. It'd also set her up to make nice holiday gifts and whatnot, which is a sort of liberating thing for a kid to be able to do.

Edit - sorry, didn't read this thoroughly enough and thought you wanted suggestions in line with what she was doing, not directly related to it. I actually would recommend you guys find a good fiber store and take a needle-felting class. That way she's still working with a material she knows but is getting to experience a new side of it. Plus, needle felted stuff is fucking cute. Really fucking cute.
    Last edited by Hannahrain; 10-12-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Hannah, thank you for the ideas. I found a beginner's book online for needle felting. Maybe I will get that next paycheck.

In other news, I made an appointment to dye my hair purple. I'm really scared and excited, and I should probably look into buying some hats to wear to work.
    Last edited by amyzzz; 10-15-2012 at 01:31 PM.

how the holy fuck do people walk around in heel-less boots?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/jeffrey-...ts+%26+Booties
    I think Lady Gaga made these things popular. Sort of reminds me of having to walk on grass in stilettos.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    They say manners are the thread of society. I spent the weekend with a bunch of monkeys who eat spaghetti with their feet, and are proud of it.

I learned to sew when I was a kid, Amy. I started out with things like bags/purses, bandana clothes, sock animals, holiday decorations, etc. I even took a job in middle-school hand-sewing pieces for baby blankets (pain in the ass!)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    They say manners are the thread of society. I spent the weekend with a bunch of monkeys who eat spaghetti with their feet, and are proud of it.

Weird body question. This morning and on Sunday morning, I had some painful cramps that lasted maybe an hour at most. I thought my period was starting — it's scheduled to come, I think. Comes every two months because of my birth control regimen. But it didn't.

I'm gonna assume this is normal. Of course, the Internet will always tell you you either have caner on you're pregnant; right now, they're saying cramps and no period means I'm carrying spawn. But, this should be impossible; I take my birth control every day and have never skipped a pill. Every pill gets taken. So, should I think it's something else (cysts?) or it's totally chill. (I don't have any other symptoms typical of what the Internet says "being pregnant" brings. I've never been preggers, so I dunno if those are true.)

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    Weird body question. This morning and on Sunday morning, I had some painful cramps that lasted maybe an hour at most. I thought my period was starting — it's scheduled to come, I think. Comes every two months because of my birth control regimen. But it didn't.

I'm gonna assume this is normal. Of course, the Internet will always tell you you either have caner on you're pregnant; right now, they're saying cramps and no period means I'm carrying spawn. But, this should be impossible; I take my birth control every day and have never skipped a pill. Every pill gets taken. So, should I think it's something else (cysts?) or it's totally chill. (I don't have any other symptoms typical of what the Internet says "being pregnant" brings. I've never been preggers, so I dunno if those are true.)
    I doubt just having cramping would indicate anything unless you had some other symptoms. With birth control you are altering your hormones and it can cause weird things at times.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

i have no idea what causes irregular periods.

i know a whole fucking lot about cramping though. ask your doctor about pelvic floor dysfunction. i'm starting physical therapy for that tomorrow. even after three surgeries and complete removal of endometriosis (another possibility), i still have cramping that will hopefully be cured with therapy. cysts are extremely common and they come and go. they become a concern when they are either really large or they are a "chocolate" cyst that bursts (endometriosis). also, this is probably unlikely given that your cramping isn't excruciatingly constant, but a twisted ovary is also a possibility.

i bought some adorable teal aldo pumps today to go with a teal wiggle tahari dress i got on clearance. pumped.

I don't think having painful cramps once is something to worry much about -- if it continues, then perhaps you should check with your doctor.

hey girls! I have a wedding to go to on Saturday, and I have the hardest time dressing for them. I feel like I am either over dressed or under dressed. Do you guys have any suggestions on what would be appropriate?
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Quote Originally Posted by ENluv12 View Post
    hey girls! I have a wedding to go to on Saturday, and I have the hardest time dressing for them. I feel like I am either over dressed or under dressed. Do you guys have any suggestions on what would be appropriate?
    Be dressier than office attire, but not so dressy as to be confused with anyone in the wedding party. I'd suggest a nice suit or dress, depending on the weather- tailored and structured is a good way to go.

It's difficult to make a suggestion without knowing the circumstances of the wedding... is it a day time or night time wedding, what is the setting, did they give any clues about attire on the invite or save the date?

they didn't and that is the frustrating part. The wedding is early afternoon with the reception into the night time. I don't even know if it is inside or outside. I was thinking a nice dress? The rules always confuse me. You don't want to wear white, or black, but not loud colors right? What does that really leave?
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Quote Originally Posted by ENluv12 View Post
    they didn't and that is the frustrating part. The wedding is early afternoon with the reception into the night time. I don't even know if it is inside or outside. I was thinking a nice dress? The rules always confuse me. You don't want to wear white, or black, but not loud colors right? What does that really leave?
    Loud colors are fine- bright colors are celebratory so no reason not to wear them. You can wear black too, but I'd punch it up with a colored bag or accessories. I'd call the bride/groom if I were you and ask about the indoor/ outdoor thing.