Page 519 of 643 FirstFirst ... 514515516517518519520521522523524 ... LastLast
Results 15,541 to 15,570 of 19263

Thread: The Girls Only Thread

Default Re: The Girls Only Thread

Amy, it's some super cheap drugstore brand -- "NYC Minx" or something like that I think. But I wouldn't recommend it because it was really transparent and I had to do maybe 5-6 coats to get it to look like that. I did a quick Google and it looks like Orly, Essie and China Glaze brands all make a fluorescent yellow color polish -- any of those would probably be better choices. And if you really wanted to make it pop, you could do an undercoat of an opaque white.

Highly doubt the yellow would match well with my yellow skin.

I LOVE IT, COURTNEY! I don't think it looks bad on you and I love bright colors, but I know what you mean about people with darker skin pulling off these bright colors well. Us darker skinned girls can't really pull off the myriad of hair colors that fairer girls can, but we can rock some awesome colors in our wardrobe and accessories. Anyway, I think the only nail polish that looks really bad on people is bright green.

Also, I know I'm 26 and probably should have learned this already, but is there a secret to getting your dominant hand to look as good as your non-dominant hand? I suck at painting the nails on my right hand. I always get so frustrated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Masking tape.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Ha. Casey, I wish I knew the secret because as you can see in that photo it's my left (non-dominant) hand and I definitely got a bit of polish onto my cuticle.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Masking tape.
    I feel like you know the answers to everything. Does this actually work? Does your gf do this? My nails always look "passable" but never great.

I can't imagine it would work. Wouldn't the polish just seep underneath the tape? I mean, it does that when you're painting a wall and use painter's tape, and a wall is flat and the tape adheres much more easily than on fingers.

hahaha i don't know if anybody uses masking tape for their nails. In theory it would work, as long as you could properly mask them, but there's so outside edges to a nail. I used to do a lot of model painting so it was the first thing that pooped in y head.

I am pretty sure my girlfriend nearly 100% of the time gets her nails professionally painted.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Yes, professional is the way to go. And if you live in a city like Los Angeles, it's so cheap that it's almost economical to go get it done as opposed to buying all the supplies on your own. I mean, I remember getting $8 manicures when I lived there. And they were GOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    hahaha i don't know if anybody uses masking tape for their nails. In theory it would work, as long as you could properly mask them, but there's so outside edges to a nail. I used to do a lot of model painting so it was the first thing that pooped in y head.

I am pretty sure my girlfriend nearly 100% of the time gets her nails professionally painted.
    I couldn't tell if you were serious or not. Growing up my mom would always tell me weird things to do and they always worked. For example, I remember when I was a kid she used to stick a piece of paper in my ear and light it on fire to clean my ears out. So I thought maybe you were in the same boat.

Getting your nails done is the way to go, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Yes, professional is the way to go. And if you live in a city like Los Angeles, it's so cheap that it's almost economical to go get it done as opposed to buying all the supplies on your own. I mean, I remember getting $8 manicures when I lived there. And they were GOOD.
    What?! Where is this $8 manicure? I should just look around I guess. The place by my house is $20, which isn't bad but I'm down to save the money where I can.

Hahaaa.

The other option is to just let yourself get messy, and then go back and clean it up with a bit of nail polish remover on one of those pointy q-tips that they market for makeup application.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Hahaaa.

The other option is to just let yourself get messy, and then go back and clean it up with a bit of nail polish remover on one of those pointy q-tips that they market for makeup application.
    That's what I do now, just didn't know if there was an easier way. Thanks

Yeah, that's what I do, if I actually care enough to bother. Although honestly usually I just let it dry and then sort of pick at it when I'm sitting around. Because I'm classy like that.

I just slop the nail polish on, and after it is completely dry, I take a hot shower, then peel off the excess nail polish on my skin in the shower. Sometimes I peel it off even without being in the shower, but I think the hot water/steam helps loosen it from my skin.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I don't know of $8 manicures in Sf that look decent at all. Suppose I should check this out more. I mostly like getting pedicures though, and they're not terribly inexpensive anywhere.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

my hands look scary with nail polish. i think it's because i have childsize hands and don't grow my nails.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Does anyone have any suggestions for sites that sell designer (special occasion) dresses at a discount? I'm already on the email lists for bluefly, Ruelala, and MyHabit, but am looking for others. Ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I just slop the nail polish on, and after it is completely dry, I take a hot shower, then peel off the excess nail polish on my skin in the shower. Sometimes I peel it off even without being in the shower, but I think the hot water/steam helps loosen it from my skin.
    This. Even at 8 bucks a pop, I have better things to spend money on other than getting my nails professionally done. Plus I have a weird thing about other people cutting my cuticles. I just can't. Also I am horrible about chipping/picking at my nail polish (on my hands, toes are fine). They never make it past 2 days, so yeah paying money to get them done would just be a waste.

I did a pretty good job on my nails the other day though. Successfully painted both hands American Flag red with a sparkly red top coat, in my car on my way out for the fourth of July!
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

I don't really do anything with my cuticles.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I'll also agree with being really messy when applying nail polish and then taking a hot shower or bath to get rid of the extra. lotion also works really well.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater)10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Has anyone gotten microdermabrasion? I'm really self concious about my acne and no matter what I do nothing helps. If anything I feel like its getting worse. I have done some research and microdermabrasion is expensive and i will need multiple procedures. Any advice?
    Weedeater/Black Cobra 1/17 @ Thee Parkside | Justin Timberlake @ SAP Center 1/19 | Scott H. Biram @ Rickshaw Stop 3/11 (?) |DEATH @ The Chapel 3/23 | Gary Numan @ the Fillmore 4/6 | Coachella Weekend 1 | Franz Ferdinand 4/28

I've had about 10 total microdermabrasion treatments over the last couple years and, although it's been a few months since my last, I really enjoyed getting them since it also came with a nice soothing facial massage and also loved the even skin tones it gave me. I mostly got them as part of a photofacial package, but found myself liking the micros far more than the photofacials. I've been meaning to get another package but haven't actually purchased them yet. American Laser Centers charges me $50 per micro or $120 for a package of 3. how much were you quoted? it might be worth it to check ALC to see if they can give you a better deal.

I think it would help quite a bit with your acne especially if it's due to oily complexion.
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater)10/3-5 Austin City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by sbconnection View Post
    Has anyone gotten microdermabrasion? I'm really self concious about my acne and no matter what I do nothing helps. If anything I feel like its getting worse. I have done some research and microdermabrasion is expensive and i will need multiple procedures. Any advice?
    have you tried antibitoics? i still have issues at times since my body chemistry is so outta whack and my dermatologist prescribed minocyclin. take 100mg a day and have no acne whatsoever. when i stop it comes back full force.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    What?! Where is this $8 manicure? I should just look around I guess. The place by my house is $20, which isn't bad but I'm down to save the money where I can.
    The place I go to is on Santa Monica & Barry (near Bundy) and its AMAZING! Mani/Pedi for $17 And they do a great job! I usually only get pedi which is $11 - Oh and the place is called Queen Nails.
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

Casey, I used to go to sketchy places near USC for $8 manicures, so I would not recommend that. Haha. But $20 for just a manicure seems sort of steep to me.

Sunni, how sensitive is your skin? I've heard that in some cases, microdermabrasion will actually result in increased oil production because your skin will try to fight back. Although, I'm not sure if that's true.

Sunni, you should take steve's advice and talk to a dermatologist about antibiotics. There are a lot of different ones now with much fewer side effects than they were known for.
    last.fm

My very good friend who I have known since I was 12 is getting married in September and I'm so excited that their wedding is shaping up to be a super low-key, affordable, fun affair. On the invitations they asked us to write down 3 songs that would get us onto the dance floor, they blocked out affordable rooms at nearby hotels for people, they are providing a shuttle from the hotels to the wedding (which is on a nearby ranch) so that people can drink as much as they want without worrying, and their wedding registry is totally modest.

I'm gonna splurge on a dress and shoes for the wedding.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

That's awesome! I love when people don't have uptight weddings.

I really like the RSVP card song idea. So smart! Sounds like it's going to be a good time. Now let's see the dress and shoes you buy.

The wedding is going to be full of people I went to high-school with but was never really close with, so I have to look absolutely banging.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival