Page 476 of 645 FirstFirst ... 471472473474475476477478479480481 ... LastLast
Results 14,251 to 14,280 of 19330

Thread: The Girls Only Thread

Default Re: The Girls Only Thread

Casey, I need that too, I use to always try to look in the books and pick a style but it never really worked with my hair texture or face frame or whatever. I now go to my daughters mother in law, she does a great job with color and cut, unfortunately she is batshit crazy. I spend an hour there and by the time I leave I am exhausted. She never shuts up and continually laughs at her own unfunny jokes, but she only charges me $40 so I put up with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Wow that is cheap, but I guess since you have to deal with her that's not fun! I have the same issue...I can't ever imagine what my face would look like with these haircuts, and even when I try those programs online I can't ever figure out what would really look good on me. I didn't realize you had a daughter who was married!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

romanticizer

Is anyone else obsessed with Shellac? And what are your favorite colors? I got red toes for the first time and I've never felt more attractive and lovely.

Regarding the haircuts, it took me a LONG time to find a stylist I like, and even then I'm not 100% on it. What has helped me is finding someone who is really good with my type of hair (texture/curliness -- my hairdresser has similar hair herself, and I found her by asking for recommendations from friends who have similar hair and cute styles). I also asked to see examples of her hair cuts and colors. Even though most of them were not styles that I would want or that would suit me, it gave me a better idea of what she tends to do. That is what won me over -- I was having trouble finding a balance between stylists who do plain/boring haircuts and ones that want to do crazy cuts/colors no matter what you ask for. The first time I saw her, we had a really long chat about what I do with my hair, how much effort I'm willing to put into it, and the health of my hair (and what I would need to do if I wanted to keep it long - which I did for the first 5 years I saw her). When it comes down to it, communication is key, and if you give a new stylist a shot, and they DON'T do what you like, you need to tell them, and give them a chance to fix it. And do not be afraid to "break up" with the stylist that doesn't do what you like.

As for the lady I see, I really like the actual haircuts, I don't love the way she styles my hair, so I try to take pictures post-cut to show her how I'm styling it, so she can make sure the cut will able to be styled that way. And I think bringing in pictures are a great idea. Don't just plop them down in front of the stylist though. Explain what you like about each one, and ask him/her how it would work with your hair and your face. I try to look for pictures where the model has a similar face shape, and over the years I've gotten better at knowing what will just not work with my hair texture.

For example, when I went in to get it all cut off, I brought in like 6-7 pictures - two were the overall shape/length I wanted, I brought in one that had an asymmetrical back to show her how I'd like the back of my hair to look, and I brought in several ideas for the front and bangs, and let her pick based on what she thought would look best and work best.

Damn, Heidi. High maintenance!
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Hah. Not really? Getting a great cut means spending less time on your hair each day, so I definitely feel it's worth it to do a little homework. Once the stylist knows you and your style, it's certainly not necessary to do that for routine cuts.

I love my stylist, and it took me YEARS to find her. She charges 50 bucks, is not too much of a talker, and likes to take risks. And if I have a style in mind, I do bring pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

I've been with my stylist since 1994. I came to her originally to deal with hair that was growing out from having been shaved off. Now my mother, my husband, and daughter go to her. She's a part of the family.

I absolutely love Shellac! I have had every color there is and have recently started mixing the colors. They will put one coat on of one color and then a top coat in a different color and voila new color!
    My nails are sad right now. I need to go get a manicure.

Does shellac last a lot longer? I've been considering having it done but haven't found a salon near home that does it and has good reviews. My nails always look awful :/

What I hope my hair will look like on Fri:

She did something very similar last time, and I really liked it, but my hair was much shorter to begin with, so she couldn't do as much asymmetry in my bangs as I'd like. Now she'll have a bit more to start with.

Very cute, but you've got to have a round face with this cut. All that lift at the top.

That is somewhat similar to how my hair is as of last week. (If I'd take the time to fix it). The back left is shaved, the back right is short but a little longer, the front left is cut close & thinned out, and the top & front right are asymmetrical and spiky. I'm finding it a little harder to style, but that's probably mostly because it's a fresh hair cut.

I have a round face. But I hardly ever use product - because I'm lazy - so it's got to look good even when it's not poufy. She knows that and compensates for the fact that I'm not good about actually styling it. This cut grows out really well, too.

That is a super cute cut. My hair is quite long and I am afraid to cut it off now as it took so long to grow it!
    I find the shellac lasts for 10-14 days. Oddly enough i find that the best places for having it done are the little quicky nail salons where you don't need an appointment. Any time I have splurged and gone to a "real" spa I have been dissapointed.

I'm reminded about short hair: when we took our month long trip around the Eastern half of the country last spring, I was struck by how, in many parts of the country, women NEVER have short hair. Like, we were in towns where I was convinced I must be the only one. Big metropolitan cities, yes, but rarely anywhere else. So strange.

That cut is adorable. I love whatsherface's look (I always call her Margie, because that's her name on Big Love)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    My husband and I just made a last minute decision to miss a day of work to drive 20(!) hours to Austin for SXSW to see our daughter's animated short. I'm sure it'll be in a festival somewhere in CA eventually, but we've never been to Austin, and this is it's first showing, so why the hell not? No hotels to be had, so I booked the last two beds at the AYH (in separate dorms, haha). I haven't stayed in a hostel since my college summer in Europe, and he never has. This should be a fun (but exhausting) adventure.
    Will you be sneaking him into your dorm room

HtD, I don't use a lot of product on my hair, but wax works really well for me with short hair. I just rub some on and then mess my hair up and leave it at that.

Heidi, this is for you:

I'm not sure which of those is for me... I don't have a problem with guys sleeping over after sex. (Wait, I would have a problem with that -- I just don't have THAT problem, currently). No one puts out. :P

Ha, I didn't mean it as a specific response to a topic currently under discussion. I just know we have in the past talked about boys sleeping over, and so the question made me think of you.

I was kind of joking. They'd have to come over and have sex with me before the sleeping over sex becomes a problem.

romanticizer

My Shellac lasts a month or more at a time. It's the best thing I've ever discovered.

I'm used to doing my own nails. I wonder if I could get a gel nail kit and just do it myself? Seems like the uv light is the most expensive part.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

romanticizer

I mean, you can...but I would get it done once and take notes. There's a process of cleaning the nailbed in a specific way so that the gel can properly bind to the keratin in your nail, plus removal. It's not always really just as easy as "soak off".

I just do it once a month because the place I go, it's only 33 bucks for a French and my backup place is 20 bucks for anything. $240 dollars a year on nails is about what the set up would cost anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Wow that is cheap, but I guess since you have to deal with her that's not fun! I have the same issue...I can't ever imagine what my face would look like with these haircuts, and even when I try those programs online I can't ever figure out what would really look good on me. I didn't realize you had a daughter who was married!
    She isn't married, but she lives with her boyfriend and mother in law just sounds better than daughter's boyfriend's batshit crazy mom.

Quote Originally Posted by romanticizer View Post
    Is anyone else obsessed with Shellac? And what are your favorite colors? I got red toes for the first time and I've never felt more attractive and lovely.
    I love red toes. My daughter gives me shit because I almost always do some shade of red, usually slutty red. So I try to change it up now and then but I am never as happy as I am with slut red toes. The time before last she convinced me to do yellow... Never do yellow, it looks like you have jaundice (sp?) toes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i used to just go to the man's house and leave when they started snoring. i'd always leave a post-it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by romanticizer View Post
    My Shellac lasts a month or more at a time. It's the best thing I've ever discovered.
    In full agreement. For pedicures it's amazing, especially for a beach holiday when you're in the sand and it can scrape off. Shellac stays on until it grows out. It's fabulous.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

I don't know what you're doing to your feet that the pedicure comes off? I am always walking around barefoot, and my pedicures still last for at least 2 weeks, and usually more like 3, by which point my nails have started to grow out and I would want it re-done anyway. Now, manicures on the other hand? That stuff starts chipping after 3-4 days.

Speaking, of, I recently decided I wanted to break out of my bad habit of only ever using pale pink or classic red polish, so I tried something new. I don't think I like it very much: