Page 640 of 642 FirstFirst ... 635636637638639640641642 LastLast
Results 19,171 to 19,200 of 19248

Thread: The Girls Only Thread

Default Re: The Girls Only Thread

Good to know because I was thinking about seeing that one. It's frustrating when they spread misinformation like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Is $100 to get my hair and makeup done for a wedding a fair price? It's $50 if I want to get just my hair or just my makeup done.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i think that is very reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Photos of the finished product please.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Yes. That's a good deal. It's also a nice opportunity to just sit and let somebody else do all the work in the midst of the bridal party chaos - drink in hand of course.

Yep, definitely a good deal (assuming the stylist is any good). The stylist is probably giving you a group rate discount, because it would be more than that if you went alone to get makeup/hair done.

Do any of you ladies use Bumble & Bumble Quenching shampoo and conditioner? I used to use it religiously, but I think once all my color treated hair grew out, my natural hair didn't respond as well to it, because it now just makes my scalp itch. Thus, I'm left with about three quarters of a bottle of each. Anyway, I feel bad pouring it down the drain because it's probably $40+ of product total. If anyone uses it and wants it, it's all yours. Just let me know.

I do! I love that stuff

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Yay happy to have found a home for it. Cara, message me your address and I'll send it down.

i am on pins and needles waiting for the SCOTUS birth control decision.

oh, guess i will be filled with rage all day.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/0...429.html?hp=bn

Fucking hell. I'm scared.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

i need to find a better article. how the fuck can they stop a jewish company from say not paying for insurance coverage towards car accidents on sunday or christian scientists who don't believe in blood transfusions or whatever religious nonsense prevents people from getting the care they need!?

not to mention, wasn't their main argument something about how the birth control was really an abortion, which is totally false? i wish i didn't have an all-day meeting so that i could obsess over this all day.

AND HOBBY LOBBY USED TO PROVIDE HEALTH CARE WITH BIRTH CONTROL COVERAGE AND THEY PROVIDED FUNDS FOR THAT.

god this is so retarded.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

point of all this: get some (any) portion of the ACA overturned.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

what's funny is that the ACA idea was touted by republicans. and is just making people want single payer even more than before.
    Last edited by chairmenmeow47; 06-30-2014 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    god this is so retarded.
    I hope he's listening, because this is some bullshit.

not to mention, wasn't their main argument something about how the birth control was really an abortion, which is totally false? i wish i didn't have an all-day meeting so that i could obsess over this all day.
    I'm 15 pages into the ruling, and it seems to be very limited, and honestly, based on the Religious Freedoms Restoration Act, it seems like it's unfortunately the right response. RFRA requires that, if a law interferes with honestly held religious beliefs, it do so in the least restrictive way. The PPACA had a provision that allows women working at non-profit religious centers to receive government subsidized birth control, rather than employer subsidized. The court ruled that such an approach is the least restrictive approach for small corporations.

My big issue with this is that they seem to want to suggest that, in this instance, a corporation takes on the character of the corporate founder. However, Citizens United seemed to be very clear in asserting that a corporation has a unique identity in terms of government recognition. As such, the owner's religious beliefs should have no bearing. But, this seems to be a more narrow and less dangerous ruling than people are making it out to be so far. At least based on the case syllabus and the initial sections.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

i feel bad for voting for obama in the primary in 08. Hilary's name is so much harder to pun. that's the true downfall in our political system in the past 6 years.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I'm 15 pages into the ruling, and it seems to be very limited, and honestly, based on the Religious Freedoms Restoration Act, it seems like it's unfortunately the right response. RFRA requires that, if a law interferes with honestly held religious beliefs, it do so in the least restrictive way. The PPACA had a provision that allows women working at non-profit religious centers to receive government subsidized birth control, rather than employer subsidized. The court ruled that such an approach is the least restrictive approach for small corporations.

My big issue with this is that they seem to want to suggest that, in this instance, a corporation takes on the character of the corporate founder. However, Citizens United seemed to be very clear in asserting that a corporation has a unique identity in terms of government recognition. As such, the owner's religious beliefs should have no bearing. But, this seems to be a more narrow and less dangerous ruling than people are making it out to be so far. At least based on the case syllabus and the initial sections.
    so it was fine when religions, or i'm sorry, companies with a few powerful religious people, were paying less money before birth control was covered by ACA (i assume less anyway), but still contributing as hobby lobby did, but now that they pay a little more it's all of a sudden offensive?

also we are finding that menstruation is actually harmful to women's bodies in many ways, such as in my case. i ONLY take birth control because it is medically necessary. and i shouldn't have to check with my employer and talk to them about my uterus to get permission.

the ruling is very narrow, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.
    Last edited by chairmenmeow47; 06-30-2014 at 08:27 AM.

The corporations weren't required to provide that birth control, so there was no issue until the PPACA was enacted.

I can easily see the anger that would come with this ruling, but what they're essentially saying is, if you're a small, closely-held corporation run by people with strong religious beliefs that oppose the use of a treatment, then the government should be the one subsidizing that treatment, not the corporation. I'm of the opinion that it should be a "Tough shit, you do business, you do it in a non-religious forum, deal with it" sort of situation, but based on the way the laws are written this ruling makes sense.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

so are you saying that before ACA, Hobby Lobby had the right to opt-out of providing birth control as part of health insurance? because they used to. that is what i don't understand.

i also think the corporation argument is bullshit. you became a corporation to keep your personal funds out of it. in my opinion, that means keep your religion out of it too. it's not like the government is asking you to use YOUR PERSONAL FUNDS, it's the corporation's funds. made up of many people who may not believe what you do, like my flaming homosexual friend who is a manager there.

i need to find a better article. how the fuck can they stop a jewish company from say not paying for insurance coverage towards car accidents on sunday or christian scientists who don't believe in blood transfusions or whatever religious nonsense prevents people from getting the care they need!?
    Here's my attempt at a short explanation of a very complicated legal history at the heart of all of this: For years the Supreme Court ruled that if the government took action that inadvertently infringed on someone's sincerely-held religious beliefs, the government had to show that they had a compelling interest for doing so, and that they had used the least restrictive means to accomplish that compelling interest. So the state of South Carolina couldn't deny unemployment benefits to a Seventh Day Adventist because they didn't want to work on Saturday, and the state of Wisconsin couldn't force the Amish to send their children to public schools. In each of those cases, the Court ruled that the government could have accomplished its goals by choosing another policy that was less restrictive of religious freedom. That all changed in 1990 because of a decision called Employment Division v. Smith, where the Court ruled that the old test no longer applied, and that a new one would take its place. The new rule essentially said that as long as the government has a compelling interest in whatever it did, the government won, so long as the purpose of the government's action was not to specifically discriminate against religious practice. Thus, neutral laws of general applicability do not violate free exercise of religion, and Native Americans who took peyote for religious purposes could be denied unemployment compensation after they were fired for taking the drugs. Essentially the Smith decision shifted the burden in free exercise cases from the government to the person claiming an exemption from a law. The Smith decision was very controversial, and in response, Congress passed a law called the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA), that among other things, essentially told the courts that they had to interpret free exercise cases in the old way that they used to prior to Smith. After RFRA was passed, the Supreme Court has held that at least as regards federal laws, RFRA forces it to examine religious exemption cases under the older, pre-Smith standard, meaning that the government has to show it had a compelling interest in the regulation and used the least restrictive means to achieve the interest.

So the analysis by the Court today was that the contraceptive mandate -- even though it serves as a compelling government interest -- is unlawful as applied to (closely held) corporations with religious objections to the mandate because it doesn't use the least restrictive means. The court suggests that government could have picked up the tab for contraceptive coverage itself, or that it could have created an accommodation similar to the one the law already provides for non-profit religious corporations so that the employees could get contraceptive coverage without the employer directly paying for it. Because these other alternatives (theoretically) exist, the government didn't use the least restrictive means to accomplish its goal, and therefore the mandate violates Hobby Lobby's religious freedom as protected by RFRA.

Now there are plenty of flaws in this analysis, and I think the decision was deeply flawed, but the reason the other more extreme examples you brought up wouldn't work as lawful exceptions is because in all of those the government should be able to show a) a compelling interest in not allowing a religious exemption from the law, and b) that is used the least restrictive means possible in achieving the compelling interest. Additionally, the more extreme you get out, the less likely the courts will find that a plaintiff has a religious interest in whatever it is they're trying to do. Now I personally don't think a person can sincerely claim that another person using an IUD under an insurance policy that you provide violates their religious freedom, but that's just one area where my reasoning is very different than the Court's.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

well that's the problem too, their argument about IUD's being abortion were wrong. and again, why wasn't this a problem when hobby lobby provided insurance with birth control before ACA? why do they get to be a corporation to protect themselves personally, but bring their personal opinions into the mix?

and the arguments do matter. from what i saw, the court went out of its way to state that transfusions would not be affected. because this has to do with women and babies, all of a sudden religion matters.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    However, Citizens United seemed to be very clear in asserting that a corporation has a unique identity in terms of government recognition. As such, the owner's religious beliefs should have no bearing. But, this seems to be a more narrow and less dangerous ruling than people are making it out to be so far. At least based on the case syllabus and the initial sections.
    The part in this analysis that upsets me is that the Court invents the "closely-held" distinction out of whole cloth, almost as if they created it so that they plaintiffs (and all others who would think of bringing a challenge) could win, while still preserving their ability to look reasonable and avoid a Citizens United 2 "corporations are people" thing that they would get pilloried for. It's such unimaginable bullshit by the same people who claim textual fidelity to the plain meaning of laws.

so are you saying that before ACA, Hobby Lobby had the right to opt-out of providing birth control as part of health insurance? because they used to. that is what i don't understand.
    there was nothing to opt out of before. they didn't have to provide any kind of health insurance. the mandate is what they 'dislike'. and by dislike, i mean nobama.

well that's the problem too, their argument about IUD's being abortion were wrong. and again, why wasn't this a problem when hobby lobby provided insurance with birth control before ACA? why do they get to be a corporation to protect themselves personally, but bring their personal opinions into the mix?

and the arguments do matter. from what i saw, the court went out of its way to state that transfusions would not be affected. because this has to do with women and babies, all of a sudden religion matters.
    Agreed. This case was pure, raging conservative id and is like a greatest hits of the Roberts Court all in one decision: corporations over labor, Christian white male culture war resentment, religion over secularism, and blows against contraception and Obamacare. What’s not to love for them?

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    there was nothing to opt out of before. they didn't have to provide any kind of health insurance. the mandate is what they 'dislike'. and by dislike, i mean nobama.
    BUT THEY DID PROVIDE HEALTH INSURANCE.

whatever, people can argue all the loopholes, but that doesn't make this any less bullshit. both towards woman and the whole corporate personhood concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Agreed. This case was pure, raging conservative id and is like a greatest hits of the Roberts Court all in one decision: corporations over labor, Christian white male culture war resentment, religion over secularism, and blows against contraception and Obamacare. What’s not to love for them?
    agreed.