Page 639 of 642 FirstFirst ... 634635636637638639640641642 LastLast
Results 19,141 to 19,170 of 19246

Thread: The Girls Only Thread

Default Re: The Girls Only Thread

I love eating alone! Grab a paper, linger over the real estate section, nibble away, get in my own head for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i agree. i do both, but tend to have my tablet in front of me more often than not. i am eating alone right now. i find that you meet more people that way too!
    Yes. I've noticed that too. When I move, I'm planning to do some loafing about restaurants and coffee shops without any defenses up to see if I can meet interesting strangers.

I go to bars and movies by myself all the time, but I always have a book or my iPad. I only engage with others if I'm comfortable. I road tripped around California, Nevada, and Arizona by myself for 3 weeks and was hyper aware of the awkward glances and weird attention a young girl coming through by herself seemed to create. I traveled around Europe by myself for 2 months and not once felt uneasy.

A little late to this part, but I go to the movies alone all the time. My movie tastes are not the same as "normal" people generally, so sometimes I can't find someone to go with, and a lot of time it's more fun alone so I can just immerse myself in the experience. The last movie I loved in the theatre was Under the Skin, and I'm not sure a lot of people would get that movie, much less go with me. (Scar-Jo is a predatory sex alien)

YES! Movies, shows, restaurants. I'm not ashamed to go alone... shows especially. Music (ie the bands I liked) was never an interest I had in common with anyone.

For some reason, I keep reading articles about hitchhiking, and now I want to try it, but as a woman, I'd probably get treated like a sex worker.

I don't wanna hijack, but wondered what the prevailing feeling was around these parts regarding:

Girls to the front: why we need more women-friendly gigs

"It's time for gigs to take women's safety seriously, in a world where audience members and performers are routinely assaulted."

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/...-friendly-gigs

Having been fucked with at shows and clubs myself, I feel this is a decent article about a topic endemic to society both in public and private settings. Personally, while at shows and clubs, I'd certainly like to see staff concerned with providing assistance to members of the audience with as much alacrity as they do to hindering the audience from participating in illicit activities.

Edit:

"Here's a handy tool for any woman who prefers giving fake phone numbers over spending the evening being harangued and irritated by over-zealous suitors. Just give out (669) 221-6251, it is a phone number that responds to calls and texts with quotes from the feminist writer and activist, bell hooks."

http://happyplace.someecards.com/dat...r-your-digits/
    Last edited by fikus222; 06-13-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/17 SBTRKT @ the Fox Theatre (?)
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rfs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

So I'm googling over-the-sink racks for my kitchen, and I also get search results for these things, which totally crack me up:

Does anyone actually do this? I love a good read, and I love a nice hot bath, but books and water together are an oxymoron to me, and I can say with absolute certainty I've never had a cup of tea or a glass of wine in my bathroom in my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

ha, i've tried the wine and bath thing and it's not as enjoyable as it sounds. my mom has one of those things, but uses more as a tray for her products than to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I was given the top one for my birthday from a friend a few years back, because I read and drink wine in the bath quite often. Sometimes it's the only way I can get real time to myself when I'm home without hearing "mommy . . . Mommy" every 5 seconds. But as Ivy mentioned it eventually turned into a tray for Izzy's bath toys and it rusted like crazy within a few months. I still read and drink wine in the bath though.

All I can picture is fumbling around with the book and the wine/tea and the candle when the water gets cold, and then trying to get to the hot water tap without knocking the tray around, splashing water on everything, or breaking the cup/glass. Looks more like ruination than relaxation to me.

I have the top one, and while I don't use it often (my current tub isn't very deep, so not that enjoyable), I like it. I love reading and having a glass of wine in the tub. Whenever I stay someplace that has a soaker tub, I end up taking like... two baths a day at least haha.

Edit: I just adjust water level/temperature with my toes. Doesn't everyone do that?

A friend posted this today. It's SO awkward and fantastic.

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/hello-fl...t-moon-period/

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    All I can picture is fumbling around with the book and the wine/tea and the candle when the water gets cold, and then trying to get to the hot water tap without knocking the tray around, splashing water on everything, or breaking the cup/glass. Looks more like ruination than relaxation to me.
    I've seen a suction cup type holder that looks similar to the ones for your razor in the shower that hold up a wine glass by the stem on the wall of the tub. Way better. http://www.firebox.com/product/1140/Wine-Glass-Holder
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    A friend posted this today. It's SO awkward and fantastic.

http://www.dailydot.com/lol/hello-fl...t-moon-period/
    Hahahaha, that was amusing. My mom handed me a starter kit box and a brochure and that was it. No chat, no welcome to woman hood, just a box. I would have appreciated the party instead of having to figure it all out myself.

My younger daughter keeps getting cramps thinking it's going to be her first period. It's cute. It hasn't happened yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Hahahaha, that was amusing. My mom handed me a starter kit box and a brochure and that was it. No chat, no welcome to woman hood, just a box. I would have appreciated the party instead of having to figure it all out myself.
    After receiving the curse at age 13 during a city wide track meet and while wearing white track pants, my father was sent to pick me up. After a wordless and teary ride home, I walked in the door and my mother said, "This is the first day of the rest of your life." I wanted to die.

i was at boarding school when i got my first period. it was in between classes and i stole a tampon from under the communal sink. unfortunately the directions did not tell you to remove and throw away the applicator. by the time i got to ballet class in the late afternoon, i was bawling in pain. the ballet teacher saw i was crying and took me aside to chat. i explained what happened and she sent me to my dorm. the other girls in the dorm explained my stupidity.

I didn't even try to use a tampon until in PE we had to go swimming and had a test in the pool. This other girl failed the test because she would not put her swim suit on and swim while on her period. I don't even remember how my test went but I was able to use it ok.

My school did those puberty talks where they separated the boys and girls and explained things like this. That was pretty much it. I got mine on a cheerleading game day when my mom was gone for the weekend and had no choice but to just use her super/heavy tampons. Ugh. Traumatic. Hurt so much that I wondered how women survived that every month haha. I didn't even mention it to my mom for a while until I complained to my friends and realized there were smaller tampons. LOL.

we had one of those talks in 6th grade too. all i remember though was that it was sponsored by a tampon company, so it wasn't very informative. and i didn't get mine for another three years anyway.

I have this memory of my friend moaning about how great it felt to put her tampon in in the stall next to me when we were 14. "Fuck, Cara, it feels SO good like sometimes I just put them in when I'm not even on my period"

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

My mother also handed me a pamphlet, but it was from when she started in the 50's so it discussed sanitary napkins and the belt that was needed to hold it in place. I was super confused looking for a belt.

My sister started when my dad had custody of us, it was his birthday. So he ran around informing all of our neighbors that she had become a woman on his birthday, of course the neighborhood boys got wind of this and she was devastated.

I am kind of glad I got the belt books.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before

Sixth grade sex education and two older sisters (by 10 years) were the only reasons why I knew what was going on when the time came. They had to wear those belts/pads when they started; I just remember being so relieved that adhesive pads had been invented by that time and I didn't have to endure the horror of the belts, ahaha.

We had those separate classes when I was in the 5th grade. I remember being a bit grossed out at that age.

I don't even remember my first period. I guess it wasn't traumatizing enough.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    We had those separate classes when I was in the 5th grade. I remember being a bit grossed out at that age.

I don't even remember my first period. I guess it wasn't traumatizing enough.
    Yes, we did this as well. I traded my pamphlet with one of the girls because were hoping for some kind of juicy information
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

You could call either one juicy in a way I guess...

I got mine the morning of our end of the year school trip to Disneyland. My mom was already at work, so I rummaged through her stuff found a super tampon and followed the directions on the box. So painful. Luckily I didn't have a heavy flow. I did the next day though. My first period was constant and lasted for 10 days.

My next one was 14 days. I was on the pill at 13.
    Last edited by algunz; 06-20-2014 at 05:00 PM.

So, I saw Obvious Child last night, and while I certainly appreciate the effort of a film to center itself around the reality of the female body, I thought its flaws outweighed that message. In particular the romantic chemistry and certain narrative segments just seemed far too flat and forced, but mostly and SPOILER ALERT, I have a real issue with the fact that she goes to a clinic, is told she's 3 weeks along, and that that's too soon and she has to wait another 2 weeks before she can get the surgical procedure. In New York. Where RU846 is definitely an option, and available, and option that the doctor would and should have brought up. Nothing about the content of the movie is made more dramatic by her procedure being the surgical option, and if we're interested in the destigmatization of abortion in the 2014 it seems most logical to me to be consistent with what actually goes on. The only people I know in my life who have ever had the early abortion vacuum aspirations had them because they were already past the time frame for RU846.

Also the romantic comedy of the movie was pretty fucking terrible.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival