Page 635 of 642 FirstFirst ... 630631632633634635636637638639640 ... LastLast
Results 19,021 to 19,050 of 19238

Thread: The Girls Only Thread

Default Re: The Girls Only Thread

Quote Originally Posted by djbionik View Post
    I used to work at Nordstrom's, so customer service at a clothing store (or any store for that matter) is kind of a big deal for me. It really is an art to be helpful without hovering, and I appreciate an eye that desires to dress the body, not judge it.

It's too bad that you weren't helped well enough. I reward my business with good business people, and I let them know it. I love being helped, and am on first name basis with some of the sales people at my favorite stores. Let them know they dropped the ball.
    The only place I had a serious problem was Urban Outfitters. The bitch totally deserved an earful, but I was so shocked at what she said that I just dropped all my shit on the floor in front of her and walked out.
    I'm fairly sure "hovering" did not cause Courtney to leave mid-shopping. That's like leaving mid-coitus, holy shit. I don't think I've ever been ill treated by any sales rep anywhere. Cashier? Yes. But not someone who was supposed to be helping me with the products. I would really like to know what happened!

Also, what did they say to you at Urban Outfitters D;
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

It wasn't really overtly horrible service. I'm sure the salesperson was just having a bad day. We're all only human. I just didn't want to deal with it.

What happened was that I was browsing, and she came over to ask if I needed any help. I told her I was looking to create a 1920s look and specifically needed to pick up some black-ish matte shadow for a deep recessed eye look and deep red lipstick with a little bit of a brown or purple undertone to do an accentuated cupid's bow lip, and asked if she had any suggestions. I noted I always have a hard time finding lipstick that works for my skin tone, and would love a few suggestions.

She seemed somewhat annoyed by my request, and said I should pull up photos on my phone of what sort of look I was going for, and then we could go from there. I did, and then she said "that's not really a 1920s look." And then proceeded to point out one brown eye shadow that could work, and one classic red lipstick. I asked if we could see how the products looked on my skin, and she sighed like it was some sort of imposition to have to do that. She wiped off the lipstick tube and handed it to me to apply, and when I did I realized it wasn't quite the color I was looking for. So I said I liked it but it was a little more "coral-ish" than what I was looking for. She responded, "that's not coral." And then stood there and stared at me.

I guess upon typing that I'm realizing it wasn't really anything overtly horrible that the sales person said or did. I was just finding the whole interaction really tremendously unpleasant, because she clearly did not want to be there helping me. So I walked over to Sephora and bought some Smashbox products instead.
    Last edited by Courtney; 02-22-2014 at 08:57 AM.

It sounds like you were actually expecting her to do her job. How ridiculous!?
    Last edited by algunz; 02-22-2014 at 09:09 AM.

She is being paid to help and service you, and to make you feel like you are a bother to her in any way is awful. I'm glad you chose to take your business elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

She probably didn't know how to help Courtney. Her knowledge and position at the make-up counter was at question, so she did what every successful woman does . . . she feigned tedium and pretended to know more than her customer

Okay, so she was maybe just a little clueless or couldn't be bothered to help you try on makeup and pick out something. (For what it's worth, I can't remember ever running into that problem -- people working a makeup counter are really pretty eager to get you to try things on since then you'll probably buy it). I don't think I've shopped at MAC specifically more than once (I don't really like their products much), but service seems pretty standard from counter to counter.

Next time maybe ask if there is another person working the counter who can help? Or ask if there is a manager present? Perhaps it seems a bit bitchy, but if I'm not getting the help I need, I'm pretty quick to ask for a manager (nicely). Not to get the employee in trouble, but to get the help I need.

Was this in a department store with other cosmetic brand counters? I seriously can't even imagine why they'd be so unhelpful when obviously you could just go to another counter.

Anyone have a recommendation for a retinol night cream for sensitive skin? I feel like I've gotten way too lucky so far and should start actively doing something to prevent wrinkles...

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Anyone have a recommendation for a retinol night cream for sensitive skin? I feel like I've gotten way too lucky so far and should start actively doing something to prevent wrinkles...
    My skin is really sensitive and I really like L'Oreal products. They have a night cream in a blue jar that I really like, and their active nutrition cream with SPF is great for daytime.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

So, as we all know by now, Gwyneth Paltrow has it soooo much harder as a working mom/ACTOR (emphasis on the first syllable) than, you know, all the multitudes of regular 9-5 moms out there, poor dear. In light of this disturbing development, I feel we women ought to show Gwyneth our support and solidarity by encouraging Disney/Marvel to reduce her workload/many hardships by recasting her part as Pepper Potts. What say you, ladies? I say Amy Adams or Isla Fisher would be a good replacement.

Any other suggestions for ideal candidates?
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Is sending a MASS TEXT that inevitably tons of strangers reply all to of your totally staged engagement day (not like, engagement photos, but the day that the fiancee 'officially' proposes to you, even though he's already proposed, but now you've picked out the ring you want and that is not a surprise because you told him where you wanted it to happen) obnoxious, or am I being a total bitch? If it's totally the norm now, and not obnoxious, will lady society at least sanction my annoyance that you included your brand new dog IN THE STAGED ENGAGEMENT PHOTOS?

Also, a bought a cute yellow dress for Coachella today. And new flats. And a hat.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post

Wait, those are two different people?

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Is sending a MASS TEXT that inevitably tons of strangers reply all to of your totally staged engagement day (not like, engagement photos, but the day that the fiancee 'officially' proposes to you, even though he's already proposed, but now you've picked out the ring you want and that is not a surprise because you told him where you wanted it to happen) obnoxious, or am I being a total bitch? If it's totally the norm now, and not obnoxious, will lady society at least sanction my annoyance that you included your brand new dog IN THE STAGED ENGAGEMENT PHOTOS?

Also, a bought a cute yellow dress for Coachella today. And new flats. And a hat.
    Annoyance warranted. Mass texts are always annoying if you have no choice in receiving them. Especially if the content would be better suited for an alternative communication method.

Now let's see the loot.

Also, a lot of phones have the option to disable "reply all" in essence, so it's annoying that more people don't opt out of the mass texting.

The one time I got a mass text from someone trying to promote their home based business products I immediately asked to be removed from the addressees on the message and she was super offended. I couldn't believe she thought doing that was okay.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

mass texting is really only ok if the group all knows each other and would be cool with it. for example, with my two oldest friends, we sometimes send a group text so we can all talk about something together, but not often. my parents and i also text together. in general though it's annoying.

i also find the whole engagement thing especially annoying in your example. like you said, it wasn't a surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Also, a lot of phones have the option to disable "reply all" in essence, so it's annoying that more people don't opt out of the mass texting.
    Why do you think I have so many unread messages? The only reason why I don't opt out of the "reply all" is because of my family. My mom, brothers and I always mass text each other. Outside of my family circle, I try to be conscientious about replying to only the sender.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    It sounds like you were actually expecting her to do her job. How ridiculous!?
    On the subject of sales people doing their job: I received a gift certificate for H&M. It was a promotional thing, therefore items bought were non-returnable/exchange. I did not save my receipt because of this. When I arrived home, I found that 4 of my items still had sensors on them! I did not save my receipt. I read somewhere that a woman attempted to bring her item back to get the sensor taken off and was accused of shop lifting. What to do? It was early during store hours. Not that busy. How can this happen?
    Always wear a helmut

Buy a really high powered magnet (eBay) and take them off yourself. That's how people shoplift. Or I have heard about something about freezing them off in the freezer. You'll have to google it. And for the record I have only shop lifted once in my life and I was around 5 and stole a Disney princess pencil I wanted. I still carry the guilt. Haha.

Great seeing some of you at Coachella last weekend! Now I need help with fashion stuff.

My really good friend is getting married in August (actually to a boardie!) and she wants all the bridesmaids to wear different dresses. Mismatched floral dresses in pale pastel hues essentially. She gave us some inspiration and said she likes how the following examples feature clusters of flowers:

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses...g-brunch-dress
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses...e-office-dress

I hardly ever wear floral dresses and this is a pretty important occasion; where should I look? Suggestions of actual dresses appreciated, too. Oh, and she said above the knee!
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

I'd definitely check out Betsey Johnson.

Those are cute! Neither are what I'd call pastel though - did she just want something lighter colored? I think those are cuter than anything I found. I was thinking a pin up style dress, but couldn't find stuff that was light colored.

http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/mil...ge-floral.html
    http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/eve...ch-floral.html
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses...gs-arose-dress
    url]http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/inc-international-concepts-floral-print-sleeveless-a-line-dress?ID=1364257&CategoryID=5449#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3 D63%26kws%3Dfloral%20dress%26slotId%3D4[/url]
    http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Mint-Floral-...RyZXNzL1Byb2Qv
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/maggy-lo...rigin=category
    http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Skater-Dress...1CYWNrL1Byb2Qv
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/gabby-sk...ry&BaseUrl=Day

Thanks a lot, Casey, you indirectly made me realize I need a SQUIRREL print dress:

http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/pc-netti-squirrel.html

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Great seeing some of you at Coachella last weekend! Now I need help with fashion stuff.

My really good friend is getting married in August (actually to a boardie!) and she wants all the bridesmaids to wear different dresses. Mismatched floral dresses in pale pastel hues essentially. She gave us some inspiration and said she likes how the following examples feature clusters of flowers:

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses...g-brunch-dress
    http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses...e-office-dress

I hardly ever wear floral dresses and this is a pretty important occasion; where should I look? Suggestions of actual dresses appreciated, too. Oh, and she said above the knee!
    Sorry to spam, but My wife and I print bachelorette tees if you are interested...

Thanks, Heidi! Neither one seemed pastel to me either. She just wants us to have pale-colored dressed with lighter flowers because her dress is obviously off white and she doesn't want the floral to drown her out in pictures, since she's the bride. I'm excited to help pick out my dress, but I don't wear floral anything so this is totally foreign to me. Thanks for your suggestions! I'm going to have to go through them all thoroughly (and duh, check Betsey Johnson, I should have thought of that! Thanks gunz!).

That Netti dress is really cute, Heidi! Definitely get it.

I just bought this dress from looking at all your dress links! Thanks!

that's cute There are so many cute non-floral print dresses on modcloth right now.

Thanks a lot, Casey, you indirectly made me realize I need a SQUIRREL print dress:

http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/pc-netti-squirrel.html
    OMG, this dress is fucking adorable.

Betsey taught me how to love and have fun with fashion. I love that chick, and I guess she is a Coachella regular. Or maybe everybody is mistaking BD for Betsey.
    Last edited by algunz; 04-19-2014 at 11:12 AM.

Heart of Haute has some cute & reasonably priced floral prints on their own site as well http://heartofhaute.com/dresses/flor...l?limit=60&p=1

New York and Company is have a sale today. There are a few floral dresses that are on the cheap.

http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/cat...6?No=0&Nrpp=77

Quote Originally Posted by sames44 View Post
    Heart of Haute has some cute & reasonably priced floral prints on their own site as well http://heartofhaute.com/dresses/flor...l?limit=60&p=1
    Thanks, I like the halter style of a lot of these.

Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone! I am not a floral person at all so I'm having a hard time deciding if any of those will look good on me. These suggestions are perfect because they are opening my eyes to lots of different options. Normally when I think floral I think NOT ME in big bold letters with lots of exclamation points.

Also, some of the bridesmaids suggested Urban Outfitters. I don't wear UO at all really. I especially wouldn't wear it to a wedding in which I'm supposed to be a bridesmaid. Do I have a bad perception of their quality, and should I look there? I just think UO is too casual for a wedding...
    Last edited by casey; 04-21-2014 at 01:38 PM.