Page 634 of 644 FirstFirst ... 629630631632633634635636637638639 ... LastLast
Results 18,991 to 19,020 of 19308

Thread: The Girls Only Thread

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Default Re: The Girls Only Thread

I know they represent a few different brands, have items across all brands been bad or has it been limited to one brand?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Let's see, I've only tried a few of the brands they represent. "Bespoke" and "Project D" weren't awful - the fit was a little off but not wildly so, construction and fabric weren't terrible, though they looked cheap for the price ($100 dress looks like a $30 dress). "Changes Boutique" was really bad - sizing extremely off, fabric is really cheap and so thin/weak that the seams ripped even when not stressed.

"Joe Browns" has been the most problematic which is a shame because IMO that's the cutest stuff they carry. I got two jackets. The fit was OK on those, the fabric was cheap, but the most concerning thing was the construction (like, the hems were uneven, and the jackets had a set-in waistband that doesn't line up - it's off by 2" on one, and almost 2" on the other, which is pretty significant and immediately noticeable). They were $180 each. I ordered three different skirts and two different dresses, and had to return them all because they were enormous. After the first order was enormous, I'd tried ordering a different skirt TWO sizes down, and it was still so big that I could pull it on and off without unfastening the zipper. The skirts and one of the dresses were actually misshapen too -- like the hips are extraordinarily large compared to the rest of the garment. Ultimately their smallest size (10) in skirts was still way too big for me and I definitely am not a size 10.

So that was bad enough but also they take forever to acknowledge returns, and make you CALL IN to request a refund for a return -- meaning, when you return merchandise, when they receive it, they don't refund/credit you until you call. Every order I placed got stuck in customs for a long while (weeks) too, which may not be their fault, but I've never had that happen with ASOS.

It's a shame because they have some cute stuff on the site, and there isn't that much selection in my size.

Tangent, there is a fortune to be made in well fitting, reasonably well made, fashionable, moderately priced plus size clothing. It's a shame so few designers care to address that market. It seems like the options are really cheaply made "juniors" type trendy stuff or marmish clothes.

I find it really upsetting, because even if I got into shape I'd still have to shop larger sizes for structured jackets/shirts/dresses because of boobs. (At my skinniest, I still had to buy a size 12 in jackets and then get them fitted). I'm okay having to get stuff tailored if I have options to begin with. IF I ever dieted hardcore and kept the weight off, I'd think about getting a breast reduction primarily to have better clothing options.
    Last edited by chiapet; 02-11-2014 at 12:24 PM.

ASOS is driving me nuts lately because they keep putting out dowdy, ugly, shapeless sacks. What the hell, no one wants to wear that shit.

Oh, I forgot the other alternative is skintight jersey dresses. Because clearly there is not a WIDE AND APPEALING middle ground between those options.
    Last edited by miscorrections; 02-11-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Yea, seriously. They used to have such cute dresses. I loved the skater dresses they had from like 2012-2013. Most of them were a little stretchy, so looked fitted, but thick fabric so not unflatteringly stretchy. I get so many compliments when I wear my stripey one.

One place I've been relatively happy with is Pyramid Collection (http://www.pyramidcollection.com/). Their stuff is definitely a mixed bag. The quality has varied a lot, it's overpriced, and some of their stuff is way too costume-y for me but I've also found some stuff I really like and got a lot of compliments on the things I did end up keeping.

Examples:
    http://www.pyramidcollection.com/ite...8&T1=P83258+XS
    http://www.pyramidcollection.com/ite...T1=P97573%20XS
    (Also that lacy tunic I was wearing with a sequin skirt at dB - I can't find it on the site though).

Ok, choosing from four possibilities after weeding through all options, given size availability, ship time, etc:

[1] Mesh Top Fringe Dress in Black, $112

[2] Joanna Hope Beaded Fringe Dress in Purple, $86

[3] Vintage Lace Dress in Gold/Cream, $60

[4] Joanna Hope Sequin Embellished Dress in Black, $144

I think it's mostly a decision about how costume-y I want to be, and how much money I want to spend.

Can I wear a knee length dress with a blazer over it and BARE LEGS to an interview? I don't have any work appropriate hose. It's all fishnets and back seams and wacky colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

And sensible black flats.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Amy, as long as the dress isn't too casual and the flats are dressy you should be ok!

Courtney, the purple dress is my favorite.
    Last edited by ThatGirl; 02-12-2014 at 07:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

I'm a sucker for the vintage, but that's just me.

I'm also a fan of the cream one, though from the picture, I can't tell if there is enough gold to distinguish this from the bride. (I'd feel weird wearing cream to a wedding). The only one I don't like for a wedding is the top one (not a fan of the mesh). But I could definitely see the cream one with some nude colored fishnets (the small weave kind), heels, a clutch, maybe some sort of headpiece if you want it to look more costume-y? (A sparkly diadem or maybe a small fascinator).

It's a charity gala, not a wedding, so I just bought the cream one. Now I need to figure out how to make it more evening-ish and gatsby-ified with accessories

Oh gosh, my reading comprehension sucks lately. Cream would be fantastic for a gala! I'm a big fan of the nude fishnets I mentioned but they are absolutely not authentic for the era (pale stockings would be appropriate). As for shoes, relatively low heeled (2"-3" max) T-straps would be correct, especially spectators (like - http://www.modcloth.com/shop/shoes-h...r-heel-in-ecru ) but not very evening-ish. Cream or gold fabric t-straps or classic heels might be better for evening.

For accessories, I definitely think a diadem or headband could work with that dress. I was thinking something like this http://www.pinterest.com/pin/304274518545297279/ or even this http://img0.etsystatic.com/004/2/572...24088_iht8.jpg ....The challenge might be finding something with gold accents if the dress has gold in it (I think a lot of the stuff from that era - both vintage and repro is silver tone). But I bet you could find something on Etsy.

As a side note, I haven't seen the movie, but from the stills I've seen, they kind of missed the mark on a lot of the costumes. Gatsy was set before flappers were a thing. (Fashion changed quite a lot from 1922 to the late 20's).

Woohoo! I like the idea of gold t-straps and maybe a diadem.

I have not seen the movie.

Something like this or this would be cute for a hairpiece, if also probably wildly annoying.

Super cute. I can also see myself perpetually swatting the dangly bits out of my face. Heh.

What about something like the below? Is that too big and obvious?

Courtney, I love the cream dress!!
    I don't think that head piece is too big, but it depends on what you do with earrings, necklace, etc. What kind of jewelry are you thinking?
    Oh look it stopped snowing...

Erm, I was thinking the headpiece would basically be my main jewelry focus.

That headpiece isn't too big but I question whether the pewter backing and beading would really work with the dress.

It's a good point.

They have a bunch of gatsby style bracelets on etsy too. http://www.etsy.com/listing/16819136...?ref=related-6

I like this and this on a champagne ribbon. This seller also has a number of options.

What shoes are you planning on wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I like this and this on a champagne ribbon. This seller also has a number of options.
    I like that first one a lot.

I hope you're planning on showing us pics. I LOVE the 20's style.

I'm not really fond of the ones with a plain elastic band, they look cheap to me, but there are some cute things on that seller's page.

IMO if you're going to go with a really over the top headband or fascinator with sequins, feathers, ribbons, etc, then go light on the other jewelry. If you wore a more simple diadem (maybe just crystals, pearls, or goldtone) I think you could wear jewelry with it. A simple long strand of pearls with a relatively uncomplicated diadem would be cute. With the neckline of that dress, I'd probably go for a long simple necklace (long strand of pearls, a long necklace with a simple pendant or a tassel). IMO, a long simple necklace with the V-neckline elongates which is an important aspect of 1920's fashion.

And seriously, silhouettes may have been long, straight, relatively plain, but embellishments were over the top, especially for evening wear. You could have fun with it. I can't wait to see pictures.

Edited: Also! Jewelry wise - vaguely Egyptian inspired jewelry was popular from 1922 on (inspired by the discovery of King Tut's tomb), and Coco Chanel introduced the concept of wearing costume jewelry rather than "real" jewelry, which meant people went way heavier on the ornamentation than in the past. (I think that was actually maybe more like 1924 or 1925, but it's very well associated with the 20's in general).
    Last edited by chiapet; 02-12-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Just to follow-up on the Gatsby event, I never got my act together with additional accessories, so I think I'm just going to use some earrings I have and try to do fairly dramatic makeup and hair. Or at least dramatic for me. Which is probably not dramatic by many people's standards.

I went into MAC Cosmetics over lunch today to pick up some things, and the sales person was actually unpleasant enough to make me walk right out without even buying anything. It's kind of an accomplishment considering how determined I was to acquire certain items. So, well done (or poorly done, I suppose), random sales lady.

I'm wondering for other people on here, how rude do sales people have to be before you actually walk out? I feel like my tolerance for that is getting lower and lower every year.

Rude how? Just pushy or...?

I can't honestly say that's something that happens to me. Perhaps occasionally when I was younger, if I went into a high end store while I was poorly dressed. I more feel like sales people can be overly solicitious. Sometimes I want to browse without being asked repeatedly if I need help.

I used to work at Nordstrom's, so customer service at a clothing store (or any store for that matter) is kind of a big deal for me. It really is an art to be helpful without hovering, and I appreciate an eye that desires to dress the body, not judge it.

It's too bad that you weren't helped well enough. I reward my business with good business people, and I let them know it. I love being helped, and am on first name basis with some of the sales people at my favorite stores. Let them know they dropped the ball.
    The only place I had a serious problem was Urban Outfitters. The bitch totally deserved an earful, but I was so shocked at what she said that I just dropped all my shit on the floor in front of her and walked out.