Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not hating, just saying

Default Not hating, just saying

That I think it's really weird that of the 3 headliners, Bjork is getting the least hate. I listened to that CD Vespertine, and was seriously just like "Whaaat the fuck is this?" I can't help but think that she's trying to hard to be weird, or to make her music sound overly simple and weird at the same time. I dunno, just really, not a fan. I won't be seeing Bjork at Coachella. Is it just me or does that sound like a pretty boring way to end a night?

Default Re: Not hating, just saying

um it's you buddy

Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgentX-9 View Post
    That I think it's really weird that of the 3 headliners, Bjork is getting the least hate. I listened to that CD Vespertine, and was seriously just like "Whaaat the fuck is this?" I can't help but think that she's trying to hard to be weird, or to make her music sound overly simple and weird at the same time. I dunno, just really, not a fan. I won't be seeing Bjork at Coachella. Is it just me or does that sound like a pretty boring way to end a night?
    i'm not a big fan of any of the headliners! i like the chilli peppers but I probably wont watch much of them.. I'm glad though.. smaller crowds for me!

most talented = least hate
    COACHELLA 99-01-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12

Quote Originally Posted by laineinla View Post
    most talented = least hate
    how many of the instruments does Bjork play?
    i honestly want to know im not being a smart ass

Dudleyville, AZ (yes, it's a real place!)

bjork's weirdness is what makes her so great. I just really love how expressive she is. In that movie she did (dancer in the dark), she totally made me feel for poor selma, I loved it.
    I don't have anything clever to say right now.
    Tiff's Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgentX-9 View Post
    how many of the instruments does Bjork play?
    i honestly want to know im not being a smart ass
    read about her

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B6rk

I bet her fans are more passionate than RATM fans (se footage of her previous performance at Coachella)... it's just that they don't specifically come to this message board to flame people and threathen are band's fans.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

I've listened to two Bjork albums, Post and Debut. In my opinion, the first things about Bjork that are accessible are the beats and arrangements. The vocals take some adjustment, the lyrics are, in my opinion, for the most part, nonsensical but still somewhat moving in an abstract way. Once I got a connection with one song (like, yeah this works, this is good) I could hear a little bit in all the other songs what the "thing" was. It took effort.

Why you hating?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

just you...bjork is fantastic live.

i've seen rage, they are OK, the RHCP suck ass live, they are terrible.

it's all about BJORK & JAMC

i agree that bjork takes a little bit of work to get accustomed to but in the end she is a great artist....

if anything it'll be an experience

Barbara, the ninja

I'm sorry, but I think of whales and the ocean when I hear her.

I don't really see how whales and the ocean fit in, but I personally cannot wait to hear Bjork live.

I think about whales and the ocean when I hear Bjork... but that is why I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

For one, Bjork is effortlessly weird. And really, if you're not weird, you're boring. Therefore, Bjork is effortlessly not boring. It's a mathematical proof.

Compare her to the Chili Peppers, who used to be weird, but now are just sterile, mechanical, and boring.

For two, I've never heard her music called simple before. That part of what you said is just factually incorrect. Not that being simple is always a bad thing, but Bjork's music is not simple.

And, for three, as for her talent, she is probably the most unique vocalist I have ever heard. She's basically invented dozens of ways of expressing herself. She does things with her voice that I had never heard in any artist before her, and that no one else would even dare attempt to imitate. You listen to a song like "Birthday", and you think to yourself, "How in the hell is she doing that?"

And, finally, her talent lies in her ability to make music that many people find both beautiful and unique. The bottom line is that there is no one else in the world that could do what she does. And while she may not be everyone's cup of tea, for those that do love her music, it is this very rareness that makes her precious. I wish there were more Bjorks in the world, but the truth is there will never be another Björk Guðmundsdóttir. There are very few existing artists of whom you could say the same thing.

I understand the point about accessibility. A first listen to Bjork can be a little much. Give it a couple more shots, and if you still don't like it...move on.

I don't think anyone cares about Friday.

I love the fact that so many people are into the headliners. Cause I know Ill be at one of the side stages at that time and it will hopefully mean a smaller crowd there.

I listened to a couple of the newest Bjork CD's this week...and I was like, "WTF is this!?" I'll probably check her out, though.

Wink Coming from Chula vista/Southbay area

Im gonna be riding with only one other person on sat morn. If anyone coming from down here needs a ride lemme know! Remember, we're all family when it comes to the coach.

cesar

Quote Originally Posted by full on idle View Post
    Yeah Drawing Restraint 9 was freaking weird... What about Dancer in the Dark? I love Bjork and its going to be a good way to start the weekend..

Quote Originally Posted by full on idle View Post
    Damn, you beat me to my response to the original poster! Cos Vespertine sure as hell isn't weird... at least compared to this film's soundtrack...
    For my Internet DJ gig, start here: http://xpn2.org
    For professional pictures and words, start here: http://www.desperatehours.com

Drawing Restraint was at the SF Museum of Contemporary Art when I was there and I thought it was kind of funny until I realized it was serious. I kept staring at the woman in the photographs thinking she looked like Bjork...

yeah effortlessly weird that's what i love. tim burton movies right guys? shit like that.. so cool dude. so weird it just inspires me to purposely embaress myself in front of people at the mall cause i want my weirdness to reflect on to everyone y'know?

take some lsd.. watch the michel gondry/chris cunningham dvd's with her videos.. enjoy.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

this kids gotta be joking...

but instinct has the right idea. the "all is full of love" video tripping my first time was one of the craziest experiences I ever had. That plus the radiohead video for "push/pulk" and "like spinning plates" off of gigantic mouth.

Doesn't seem like a boring way to end the night to me. Seems like an utterly amazing way to end the night and I'll be front row center stage for it.

no, but bjork also has talent. Usu. when you combine talent with weird or unique you get something special.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tiffdud41 View Post
    bjork's weirdness is what makes her so great. I just really love how expressive she is.
    Just being weird and expressive is not a qualification for greatness. I know tons of extremely weird and expressive people. Don't mean dick. On average they're just as worthless as everyone else.