The Holmes Brothers
    Roky Erickson & The Explosives
    Yungchen Lhamo
    The Avett Brothers
    Allison Moorer
    Magnolia Electric Company
    The Agrolites
    And many, many more...

I personaly would go just to see Gogol Bordello. Then to top it off, Roky Erickson (another Coachella fav), The Avett Bros. (missed at Coachella), The Agrolites, Devandra Banhart, Kill Hannah, The Shins and Wu-Tang. Seems pretty kick ass to me.
    The rest of the line up will be annouced later in the sumer. Also, right now discount passes are $75 for all 3 days.
    Just passing on the information.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Default Re: Bumbershoot - partial line up

I hate Panic at the disco for having shitty music and for covering tonight tonight and Karma Police its just disgraceful to such awesome songs.

I hate Panic at the Disco for covering their cock and balls with vaginas.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

HAHA that too!

I was actually considering going to Bumbershoot this year... until I saw the lineup. Holy God. I wouldn't go even if I had an all-expenses paid trip.

I definitely agree.

That thing is usually awesome. I've seen Charlie Hunter there, Bill Frisell, the Digable Planets...

you know, non bullshit music.

This year isn't looking so hot...

Bumbershoot has at least one shitty emo band on the mainstage. This year isn't so hot, I'll admit. It may be the last actual Bumbershoot ever. They are probably tearing down Memorial Stadium and replacing it with a much smaller amphitheater, which would make it impossible to have any kind of major talent in the Seattle Center, where it is held. Oh well, I have some good memories of Bumbershoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by york707 View Post
    I can't tell a british accent from a gay accent.

Quote Originally Posted by leo01g View Post
    I hate Panic at the disco for having shitty music and for covering tonight tonight and Karma Police its just disgraceful to such awesome songs.
    My GOD did this really happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Yeah check you tube, what sucks even more is that if you type tonight tonight, these assholes are on the first page.

Banned

Haha.

They're from Vegas.

E

Balls! They got Devendra Banhart! Lucky.

Do people really care that much that Panic! At the Disco are there?
    Honestly, I hate them with all my heart and would never pay to see them, just like many others here. In order to solve this problem, I simply won't see them. I'll pretend like they are not there. Its not that big of a deal that they are there. Unless their sound leaks... then its a problem.
    It sounds like many of you have been to Bumbershoot before as well, so I have a couple of questions.
    So, how exactly does this festival work. I read the FAQs and I am slightly confused. It says the shows take place in a number of different Venues, not being from Seattle, I do not know how close together everything is. Is everything in a relatively close vacinity? Or is everything a Mainstage-Saharah tent tpye trek? Im just curious.
    Also, are tickets on available through the website? Or do they go on-sale at ticketmaster as well?
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Do people really care that much that Panic! At the Disco are there?
    Honestly, I hate them with all my heart and would never pay to see them, just like many others here. In order to solve this problem, I simply won't see them. I'll pretend like they are not there. Its not that big of a deal that they are there. Unless their sound leaks... then its a problem.
    It sounds like many of you have been to Bumbershoot before as well, so I have a couple of questions.
    So, how exactly does this festival work. I read the FAQs and I am slightly confused. It says the shows take place in a number of different Venues, not being from Seattle, I do not know how close together everything is. Is everything in a relatively close vacinity? Or is everything a Mainstage-Saharah tent tpye trek? Im just curious.
    Also, are tickets on available through the website? Or do they go on-sale at ticketmaster as well?
    Sound leak isn't really a problem at Bumbershoot due to the layout of the stages. All of the venues are within Seattle Center so getting from one venue to another takes anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes depending on the crowd density. However, once you arrive at the venue there is a very good possibility that you'll have to wait in line to get in. The lines have been getting ridiculous in recent years and I've missed several shows because I didn't show up early enough to get in the line. Here's last year's map.
    Tickets are only available through the Bumbershoot site right now. I'm not sure if Ticketmaster will be selling them later on for those that enjoy the added convenience and handling charges.

You will wait in line for any band that is not at the Bumbrella Stage, the Mosaic Amphitheater, or the Main Stage. If it is a big name band or special in any way, you very likely will not get in without lining up well ahead of time (an hour or two). The Comedy Shows are full every time no matter what and you must wait for a very long time in line if you want to see them. You can bring anything you want into the festival. Literally. Anything that you can possibly carry. They might even let you bring in a wagon. And if its drugs or alcohol, youc an put it in a back pack and they don't check them.

My suggestion is a bag of wine in the backpack. Its heavy, but you will always be able to get ahead of people if you offer them a pull from the winebag.

The Backyard Stage also does not require waiting in line. To see the headliners on the Main Stage you need to show up early enough in the day to get a wristband or you're out of luck. I think the longest I waited last year was about two hours to see David Cross, which was a bit of a letdown. Good idea on the wine bag, I might try that out this year.

Conflicts sound like they are a bitch at this festival then. Lining up an hour or two before the band plays? I wasnt even at Rage that early and I still got to the front by the end of Testify. Or do they have the conflicts things worked out, and not to many bands play at the same time?
    Also, from what it looks like, I wont need a mainstage evening pass. Nothing Im really fussed about. That is, unless Gogol Bordello are playing on the mainstage in the evening. I doubt it though. Or The Agrolites or Roky Erickson, but those seem even less likely.

Conflicts can be a problem as bands are pretty much playing on all of the stages all day. The more well known bands play on the outdoor stages though so it's easier to get in/out to see a show. Keep in mind also that this is just the preliminary lineup. The full lineup (including more headliners?) is yet to come and I'm curious to see who gets added. Shit, where have I heard that before?
    Last edited by invisiblerobots; 05-30-2007 at 12:38 PM.

Gogol Bordello will play the Bumbrella stage, which is where I usually end up spending most of my time. Also, a lot of the time there will be what looks like a huge line for one of the indoor concerts, but people leave the show after a few minutes a lot, and the doors are just open once they get everyone in the line into the venue. The venues are all fairly large, since the spaces are all convention centers.

Bumbrella stage is where the world music is almost always played, as well as any hippie bands that might play, or underground bands with a fairly large following. Spearhead played there a few years back. And Particle played there last year. The English Beat, also.

Every year, during one day of the festival, the main stage is flooded at mid-afternoon with emo bands and such. Its amazing how many peopel leave immediately afterwards.

Also, at Bumbershoot they have shows at teh EMP SkyChurch, which is one of hte coolest places to have a concert. Its cool because the bands that play there are local buzz bands usually, and they are smaller bands but they get to play in a very nice venue with a gi-fucking-gantic LED screen behind them and lots of cool lighting. Idiot Pilot and a few others that I can't quite remember have played there.

Bumbershoot is up there with Coachella as far as my favorite things in the world go. It doesn't have the world-class talent or the size that Coachella does, but the atmosphere is very relaxed. Despite the fact that it is the one festival I would be able to chug a bag of wine on someone's shoulders, it is also the one festival I have been to that I would feel comfortable bringing a child to.

There is really a multi-faceted art presence at Bumbershoot, not just in name like others. There are poetry readings, slam contests, art showings, dramatic performance, performance art, and its very immersive. One year, they had these dancers on bungee cords tromping around on the Space Needle every few hours all weekend. And then during the mainstage acts at night, the dancers would swing around on the scaffolding above the stage.

Yeah, I really like Bumbershoot a lot.

Yeah, I was wondering about the headliners. Its abvious Wu-Tang could headline, but The Shins and Panic! At The Disco? Who knows, maybe they can, or maybe they cant. I would bet an some more decent big name artists being added though.
    With that being said, I would be willing to pay $75 for this line up as it is.
    Also, thanks for the festival info Cody. Sounds like Bumbrella stage is where I will be spending most of my time. Is that an indoor or outdoor venue?
    The EMP skychurch has shows eh? Thats the music museum, is it not? Or am I thinking of something else.
    Also, unless a good headliner/biger name artist gets annouced, it looks like I will be staying away from the mainstage.
    The other events sound entertaining as well. I guess Ill go check some of those out while Panic! At The Disco are playing.
    And one more thing, when does the full line up usually get annouced?

I dunno. Things are different this year, but the line-up is very very extensive, and is usually finalized during the summer sometime.

The Shins could headline in Seattle.

The Bumbrella stage is in the very center of the festival on a big grass lawn directly behind the camera in this picture:

The Skychurch is the venue INSIDE the EMP. It looks like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattith...7594282144638/

So Bumbershoot is a week from today! Anyone else going?

I was originally planning on going all 3 days, but due to Vegoose, I am only going for Day 1.

I get to see the likes of the Avett Brother, The Aggrolites and...

I'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by codytwo View Post
    Gogol Bordello will play the Bumbrella stage, which is where I usually end up spending most of my time. Also, a lot of the time there will be what looks like a huge line for one of the indoor concerts, but people leave the show after a few minutes a lot, and the doors are just open once they get everyone in the line into the venue. The venues are all fairly large, since the spaces are all convention centers.

Bumbrella stage is where the world music is almost always played, as well as any hippie bands that might play, or underground bands with a fairly large following. Spearhead played there a few years back. And Particle played there last year. The English Beat, also.

Every year, during one day of the festival, the main stage is flooded at mid-afternoon with emo bands and such. Its amazing how many peopel leave immediately afterwards.

Also, at Bumbershoot they have shows at teh EMP SkyChurch, which is one of hte coolest places to have a concert. Its cool because the bands that play there are local buzz bands usually, and they are smaller bands but they get to play in a very nice venue with a gi-fucking-gantic LED screen behind them and lots of cool lighting. Idiot Pilot and a few others that I can't quite remember have played there.

Bumbershoot is up there with Coachella as far as my favorite things in the world go. It doesn't have the world-class talent or the size that Coachella does, but the atmosphere is very relaxed. Despite the fact that it is the one festival I would be able to chug a bag of wine on someone's shoulders, it is also the one festival I have been to that I would feel comfortable bringing a child to.

There is really a multi-faceted art presence at Bumbershoot, not just in name like others. There are poetry readings, slam contests, art showings, dramatic performance, performance art, and its very immersive. One year, they had these dancers on bungee cords tromping around on the Space Needle every few hours all weekend. And then during the mainstage acts at night, the dancers would swing around on the scaffolding above the stage.

Yeah, I really like Bumbershoot a lot.

Sounds like a good place to have a festival.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by full on idle View Post
    I'll be there.
    Cool! Will I see you at Gogol? Or will you be at Panic!?
    But seriously, I am still bummed about having to miss Rodrigo y Gabriela for Gogol Bordello.
    It also sucks I am going to miss Sunday and Monday, because there are a number of great acts there. But Vegoose wins for me.
    As for Saturday, anyone you suggest I should check out?

Saturday for me is Magnolia Electric Co., the Shins (or Honeycut if the Shins are boring). I'll either be at Gogol Bordello or DeVotchka. I'm going to let my friend pick the rest because it's his town.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    But seriously, I am still bummed about having to miss Rodrigo y Gabriela for Gogol Bordello.
    I'll be there, but still haven't decided what I'm doing about that. Those were the two main acts that got me to go to Bumbershoot this year, so I'm a bit bummed too. Saw Rodrigo y Gabriela in May at Shepherds Bush Empire (london) which was a great show, venue, and crowd, and just saw Gogol tonight. I'm leaning towards watching part of Rodrigo y Gabriela then booking it to Gogol. Keep rationalizing that I will probably have fewer opportunities to see Rodrigo y Gabriela.

You know, I whinged a bit about the bumbershoot lineup being a bit weak this year, but have still managed to find someone I want to see at most times of each day. Plus, with in/out privileges, I'm open to doing something else for a bit between sets. I'll admit I'm trying Bumbershoot partially as a weak Coachella substitute (I'm having trouble surviving until April!) and partially as a reason to spend some time in seattle.

Quote Originally Posted by full on idle View Post
    Saturday for me is Magnolia Electric Co.
    I've never really listened to them? Worth checking out live, I take it?

Saturday for me is Crowded House (didn't really give them a fair chance at Coachella), Honeycut (or the Shins if I'm not feeling it), Avett Brothers, then probably part of Rodrigo y Gabriela, and then Gogol.

Not really sure about Sunday so far (definitely Andrew Bird, probably BRMC and Apples in Stereo), and for Monday I'm kind of thinking Schoolyard Heroes (I know I'm lame), some of Kultur Shock, Tokyo Police Club, Frames and Ted Leo.

I am, most likely, going to see RyG on Halloween... so its Gogol all the way for me though. You cant go wrong either way. I just love the Gogol Bordello so freakin much. Even if I wasnt seen RyG, I would personaly check out the entire Gogol Bordello set. Especially if you have never seen them before.

I have another suggestion for you, The Aggolites at 5:45 on the same stage Gogol is playing later that night. They are an amazing Reggae/punk band. Not ska, like, good ol Reggae. Even if you don like reggae, I suggest you check them out. I have never seen them before, but I hear they put on a great show. Also, if you are a fan of reggae/ska, I suggest checking out Barington Leavy on Sunday. He is a legend. Oh, and Sean Paul.

Another suggestion, go check out Roky Erickson on Monday. He was one of my favorites of the entire Coachella weekend. Hes a definate must see! Kultur Shock should also be great too. Those crazy gypsies!

Have a good weekend!

Yea, I was already considering both Barrington and the Aggrolites, but will see how I'm feeling about it when the weekend comes. I've seen Gogol and RyG both a couple of times now. Both are incredible live. Tough decision!