• Alba Festival

38 49.35%
  • Muertos Festival

39 50.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 3 - ALBA FESTIVAL VS. MUERTOS FESTIVAL

Default CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 3 - ALBA FESTIVAL VS. MUERTOS FESTIVAL

Round 3 - Alba Festival vs. Muertos Festival

Well it's onto Round 3 finally. Obviously, there is a new addition to this round, that being SET TIMES! Yes, all final 8 festivals have submitted their set times, which are to be viewed, judged, and criticized by you (the fan, voter). So instead of just basing your vote on the lineup, take some time to go over set times, because maybe there will be some conflicts which limit how many of your favorite bands you'll get to see compared to another festival...you get the drift. Also take some time to explore some of the smaller bands too...they could make or break a festival.

Remember, no alias voting (I know who you are, and/or suspect certain names)...and only vote if you have 100 or more posts...if you do otherwise, you're wasting your time because your vote will not be counted. Enjoy. Winners move onto semi-finals!

Alba Festival:

Muertos Festival:

DIA DE LOS MUERTOS FESTIVAL

THE FIELD

THE TOMB

THE JUNGLE TEMPLE

~OCTOBER 31st~

-THE FIELD-
    -Yeah Yeah Yeahs (11-12pm)
    -John Williams [and The London Symphony Orchestra] (9:15-10:35pm)
    -Public Enemy (7:45-8:50pm)
    -Primal Scream (6:25-7:25pm)
    -Cake (5:05-6:05pm)
    -Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (3:50-4:45pm)
    -Midlake (2:40-3:30pm)

-THE TOMB-
    -Leftfield (10:40-12pm)
    -Lemon Jelly (9:20-10:25pm)
    -Frankie Goes to Hollywood (8:15-9:05pm)
    -LCD Soundsystem (7-8pm)
    -Les Rythmes Digitales (4:15-6:25pm)
    -Dan Van Damn (2:30-4:10pm)

-THE JUNGLE TEMPLE-

-Spiritualized (10:50-12pm)
    -Roots Manuva (9:55-10:40pm)
    -Coldcut (8:45-9:40pm)
    -Sigur Ros (7:30-8:30pm)
    -MF Doom (6:20-7:10pm)
    -Peter Bjorn & John (5:10-6pm)
    -Stephanie Mckay (4-4:50pm)

----------------------------------------

~NOVEMBER 1st~

-THE FIELD-

-Gorillaz (10:45-12pm)
    -Kylie Minogue (9:15-10:20pm)
    -Muse (7:40-8:50pm)
    -Yo La Tengo (6:20-7:20pm)
    -Sufjan Stevens (5-6pm)
    -Beth Orton (3:40-4:35pm)

-THE TOMB-

-Underworld (9:10-10:35pm)
    -The Crystal Method (7:55-8:55pm)
    -Tricky (6:40-7:40pm)
    -Vitalic (5:30-6:20pm)
    -Overseer (4:15-5:10pm)
    -The Chemically Imbalanced Allstars(2:50-4pm)

-THE JUNGLE TEMPLE-

-Thievery Corporation (11-12pm)
    -OF Montreal (9:50-10:40pm)
    -Pharcyde (8:45-9:35pm)
    -Amon Tobin (7:30-8:25pm)
    -The Hives (6:25-7:15pm)
    -The Dresden Dolls (5:20-6:10pm)
    -Quasimoto (4:10-5:00pm)
    -Giant Drag (3:10-3:55pm)

----------------------------------------

~NOVEMBER 2nd~

-THE FIELD-

David Bowie (10:30-12pm)
    A.R. Rahman (8:50-10pm)
    A Tribe Called Quest (7:25-8:30pm)
    The Charlatans (6:10-7:05pm)
    Bloc Party (4:55-5:45pm)
    Kasabian (3:40-4:30pm)
    Rockethouse (2:45-3:25pm)

-THE TOMB-

-The Chemical Brothers [Including a full feature of "Dig Your Own Hole"](10:20-12pm)
    -Goldfrapp (9:10-10:05pm)
    -The Dust Brothers (7:45-8:45pm)
    -Erol Alkan (5:45-7:30pm)
    -U.N.K.L.E. (4:35-5:25pm)
    -Booka Shade (3:35-4:20)
    -8-bit (2:30-3:15)

-THE JUNGLE TEMPLE-

-Dinosaur Jr. (9:10-10:25pm)
    -Explosions in the Sky (8-8:50pm)
    -Violent Femmes (6:50-7:40pm)
    -EL-P (5:30-6:30pm)
    -Badly Drawn Boy (4:20-5:10pm)
    -Andrew Bird (3:15-4pm)

Default Re: CREATE A FESTIVAL - ROUND 3 - ALBA FESTIVAL VS. MUERTOS FESTIVAL

I must apologize for not creating a nicer layout for my schedule. I was a little too busy and unable to have my friend do the graphics for me in time.
    ass on the grill

Alba Festival:

(Friday)
    - Atmosphere v.s. Spoon, Jurassic 5 v.s. The National and Muse v.s. Tori Amos are killer, nigh heart-wrenching conflicts...
    - Band of Horses to Grizzly Bear to Digitalism is a great way to start the Friday
    - Ending the night with Moby would be awesome
    - Moby v.s. Brian Wilson is another pretty awful conflict...

(Saturday)
    - Not sure how to start the day... Probably The Frames to Soulwax to Justice based on reputation alone... @___@
    - Goldfrapp and Royksopp are two names with reputation but... I haven't been properly introduced to them... Nevertheless, I assume that's what I'd be seeing in the mid-to-late afternoon because I can't stand Cafe Tacuba and am clueless about the other bands...
    - Having to sit through TVotR for 20 minutes is... groan worthy...
    - Arcade Fire! Yay!
    - Wyclef Jean at the end of the night... Yeah... No.

(Sunday)
    - K-os then Battles to start the day sounds fine
    - No fucking clue who to see until the Faint at 5... Seriously...
    - Partying with the Faint and LCD Soundsystem sounds like a great fucking time.
    - Tom Waits then Massive Attack sounds like the perfect way to end the night... Even though Massive Attack's a headlining band... >>;
    - Massive Attack v.s. Talking Heads is a crime... a fucking crime...

Muertos Festival:

- I love the setup and location shots. =D
    - Wish there had actually been a separate sheet for the set times though...

(Friday)
    - Start the day with a good dose of BRMC.
    - Cake v.s. PB&J (the latter of whom I've just now come to like) is disheartening... But I'd probably see Cake.
    - MF Doom to LCD Soundsystem to Frankie Goes to Hollywood would awesome (c'mon, it's Frankie Goes to Hollywood!)
    - No clue what to do after Frankie... Suggestions?
    - Spiritualized or Leftfield... That's a hard decision... x.x;

(Saturday)
    - Not (REALLY) wanting to see anything till 5 is... Meh...
    - Starting the... night... with the Dresden Dolls is good, but halving the Hives set is well... sad, but worth it to catch...
    - Tricky, or at least most of him, but having to cut that short also is lame because of...
    - Muse, which would be awesome, however, the mass exodus would be crazy, however it'd be worth it to catch Underworld (especially over Kylie)
    - Ending the night with Gorillaz is all good for me... Even though I think Muse would make a better headliner... NEVERTHELESS...
    - Gorillaz v.s. Thievery Corporation makes my heart hurt...

(Sunday)
    - I'd probably stay in the Temple virtually all day (Andrew Bird to Badly Drawn Boy to EL-P to Violent Femmes to EITS to Dinosaur Jr.) since they're some of the only acts I can recognize...
    - Ending the night with Bowie is cool, however, conflicting with Chemical Bros is not...

Summary

Well, here's what I've noticed... Alba has some of the shittiest conflicts I've seen thus far, and the problem with that festival is that there's nothing mid-day that I know I'd want to see, like, at all... And that the end of all 3 nights either doesn't interest me one bit, or there is a soul-crushing conflict. Whereas Muertos starts out ridiculously strong on it's first day, but just generally disinterests me early on it's second day and, you know, provides not enough recognizable names for me (and yeah it does provide the opportunity to discover new bands, but that's going on the impression that every band I don't know playing the festival will sound good to me...) and unfortunately every single night for Muertos ends with a soul-crushing conflict.

So, for me at least, the two festivals almost have the same flaws... A significant amount of bands I've never heard of (the majority of whom carry a large reputation among the members of the board), what I would consider to be very weak mid-afternoon scheduling, and a lot of soul-crushing conflicts at the end of the nights.

I will give kudos to both organizers for not burying themselves the way that Poplife did with absolute crap time management, for both paced their acts well (except someone is going to make a comment about the Knife not being able to set up in 30 minutes, blah blah blah blah blah).

Despite the fact I heckled (and probably voted against it) in the first round or two, my vote is going to Alba because, and I'm sorry Bosco, it just seems a bit more well rounded and there's just the fact that not only does Alba open earlier, there just seems to be more to do... =/ Lame, I know, but even the awesome Aztec gimmick can't win me over this round...

Just for reference...

Top 5 Alba Acts:
    Muse
    Arcade Fire
    Talking Heads
    Massive Attack
    Tom Waits

Top 5 Muertos Acts:
    Muse
    Gorillaz
    Violent Femmes
    Dresden Dolls
    Cake
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

alba just doesn't have as much that i want to see. and ending friday with spiritualized is inspired.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

FUCK THE CONFLICTS! Choose one!

Very tough (I like these 2 a lot - I can't even decide and choose one ) ... I'll think about it ... I thought am going to vote all the way for Muertos but during previous round I just remember posting I'll also give my vote to Alba next time (but I did'nt realize it's vs. Muertos) so I might as well abstain. Let's see ...

I always voted vs. Cityscape but in the end I might give my vote on that (if it is still there) - you know, I would like to come back to Hyde Park in July.
    Last edited by idrive1life; 05-28-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post

- No clue what to do after Frankie... Suggestions?
    John Williams. And Brian Wilson doesn't conflict with Moby.

I like more Muertos acts although it's starting too late. Bowie vs Chemical Brothers conflict hurts a lot.. especially if the Chems are playing some EBW 8.

But in the other side, Alba has Waits, Talking Heads and Brian Wilson..

and a slip-n-slide.

I seem to base most of my votes on location. Out of all our choices this round, hangin' and listenin' to great music among the ruins would be beyond incredible.

Both of these are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

a music fest at an archeological site?

next up, NASA hosts radiohead and daft punk at the international space station.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I'd be there like flies on a day old slice of ham
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

airfare might be a bit steep.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

alba only cuz of sunset rubdown!!!!

Coachella Junkie

this is tough... but i'm going with Muertos, because it has an artist that none of the other festivals has: Overseer.

and he would KILL live.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    this is tough... but i'm going with Muertos, because it has an artist that none of the other festivals has: Overseer.

and he would KILL live.
    ah, good to see someone else who knows who this guy is! I've been waiting for his second album thats been talked about since early 2006. I wonder whats taking so long... Oh well, he just released a new track though..."Invincible Love"

http://www.myspace.com/overseeruk
    ass on the grill

Christ... These are both CLOSE races...
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

This would be the only reason for ever going to Mexico.

WINNER: Muertos
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

fatbastard - You obviously haven't been to the right places in Mexico, if this is the only reason for you to go.

Alba once again has a slight edge for me...more artists I personally want to see...but also a couple of killer conflicts (Spoon v. The National, Brian Wilson v. Magnetic Fields)...

Sunday at Muertos would be worth whatever it cost me to get there, though.

I don't think I would attend either of these festivals, but I'd give the edge to Muertos because of Gorillaz.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Muertos!

The Crystal Method followed by Underworld in the Tomb then over to the Temple for some Theivery Corp ass shakin'

EPIC!

although I would have put EITS on the feild
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post
    I want to see this so badly.

...oh yeah, Alba has good music too and stuff.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
    ah, good to see someone else who knows who this guy is! I've been waiting for his second album thats been talked about since early 2006. I wonder whats taking so long... Oh well, he just released a new track though..."Invincible Love"

http://www.myspace.com/overseeruk
    Yeah, I've got his album "Wreckage" - it's amazing, I would love to see him live. He would be wicked. And I will buy his new album the day it comes out, which hopefully will be soon.

Overseer - Doomsday (Hyper remix)

One of my favorites tracks of 2006.

bump
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

i love muertos but that kylie/underworld conflict is killing me

ok, it's just real close.
    Last edited by ewiggy; 05-31-2007 at 10:36 AM.

a music fest at an archeological site?

next up, NASA hosts radiohead and daft punk at the international space station.
    oH shit that would be cool but expensive. I chose Dia De Los Muertos, good line up, and a bad ass site! one hour away from Cancun!

Quote Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post
    i'm not telling people who to vote for. that's dumb.
    haha, bulllllllllshit
    ass on the grill