Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iTunes Problems...

Default iTunes Problems...

So here is the situation...

I have an external hard drive which i store my music on. Every time my computer loads I turn on my hard drive so that i can play music on iTunes (which was on drive /C: ) directly from my hard drive (drive /E: ). This was the way it was for over a couple months or so.

Today i noticed that the drive address has changed on my external hard drive from /E: to /F:, which has misplaced the music. Therefore, all the song on iTunes which were found on /E: can no longer be played because iTunes cannot find it.

I do not want to go through every song and reload it onto my iTunes. If there is any better software or if there is a way that all my music can be recognized by iTunes i would be much appreciative.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    this is fantastic news...we can all fist ourselves in peace now...
    http://www.last.fm/user/theburydlife

2011 Wishlist: Soviet Soviet, Swans, Heroin and Your Veins, Lower Dens, The December Sound, Scarlet Youth, Faunts, Bad Lieutenant, The Besnard Lakes, The Raveonettes, Screen Vinyl Image, Sway

Default Re: iTunes Problems...

well what is Drive /E: now? you probably had some other USB device connected to your computer before you plugged in your hard drive.

It's bizarre, there is no drive E anymore just C, D, and F, what i think happened was someone loaded a flask disk or some other memory device before the hard drive was turned on.

Is there any function that would find all the music on my library and load it onto iTunes?

2011 Wishlist: Soviet Soviet, Swans, Heroin and Your Veins, Lower Dens, The December Sound, Scarlet Youth, Faunts, Bad Lieutenant, The Besnard Lakes, The Raveonettes, Screen Vinyl Image, Sway

here...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

just change the drive letter back to E: for the hard drive

Thanks much.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Erik beat me to it. If something similar happens again, you can just drop the folder that all your music is in into the itunes playlist window, and it will re-add everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

This tends to happen if you plug your external drive into a different USB socket too, as i have found out a couple of times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

manually set the drive letter under disk manager so that it will assign the drive the proper letter each time you plug it in. it's something like:

right click my computer / manage...
    disk management
    change drive letters and paths on the select disk.

bam
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

or do exactly what eric posted...
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

This seems like the most appropriate ancient thread.

iTunes/my iPod classic are doing some strange things and I would like to know what I may be doing wrong (other than using iTunes/an iPod because yeah, I know) and what I might do to turn off these "features."

Also: I have it set that I manually manage all music.

Thing 1: So sometimes iTunes doubles tracks. Like for Palo Santo it looks like there are two copies of every song. And if you queue the album it plays like that, too. But if you delete one of them the other one gets a ! and is unplayable.

Thing 2: I swear that iTunes keeps renaming items on my iPod. I, say, change a few stray tracks by the Jesus and Mary Chain to the Jesus & Mary Chain because otherwise they'll be different entries and then sometime later I look and they're back to "and." I have been checking the Sort Artist and Album Artist and whatnot as well so that isn't it.

I don't normally use iTunes at all but I don't have my music library where I am staying now and it is nice to be able to play it from my iPod. And I like that recently it has been grabbing scrobbles from what I have listened to in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

Itunes is possibly the most annoying application I have to work with as part of my job. I don't understand why it has to be designed the way it is at all. If I ever get an iPod I will never, ever use fucking itunes with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    This seems like the most appropriate ancient thread.

iTunes/my iPod classic are doing some strange things and I would like to know what I may be doing wrong (other than using iTunes/an iPod because yeah, I know) and what I might do to turn off these "features."

Also: I have it set that I manually manage all music.

Thing 1: So sometimes iTunes doubles tracks. Like for Palo Santo it looks like there are two copies of every song. And if you queue the album it plays like that, too. But if you delete one of them the other one gets a ! and is unplayable.

Thing 2: I swear that iTunes keeps renaming items on my iPod. I, say, change a few stray tracks by the Jesus and Mary Chain to the Jesus & Mary Chain because otherwise they'll be different entries and then sometime later I look and they're back to "and." I have been checking the Sort Artist and Album Artist and whatnot as well so that isn't it.

I don't normally use iTunes at all but I don't have my music library where I am staying now and it is nice to be able to play it from my iPod. And I like that recently it has been grabbing scrobbles from what I have listened to in the past.

dont upgrade to 9...

I still have yet to encounter a single problem with itunes. I dont understand all the hate.
    last.fm

i concur.

In the interest of trying to be helpful, as far as problem number two, itunes will attempt to autofill artist names and such when you are changing the tag information, so perhaps something is getting tripped up there. I would try copying and pasting what you want in that field to see if that helps anything. I am pretty sure ipods are incapable of changing tag info.

I am thinking that problem number one might be stemming from a checkbox in the preferences window that says "copy files to itunes media folder when adding to library," which is under the advanced tab. You dont want that checked. If it is unchecked, I would find all of the files for that album, delete them from itunes and then re-add them and make sure everything is tagged correctly.

Hopefully some of this helps.
    last.fm

Thank you for your ideas, Brandon.

I will try c/p for the artists tag but I have definitely been getting them right when I change, they move around and look all nice for a while. And I have heard from other sources of iTunes fiddling with tags, just not in this fashion.

Also that file is not checked. Also I may have stated the issue imprecisely. I hardly use the iTunes library at all; the issue I am having is on the iPod itself. Also maybe this problem comes from using WinAmp to add files to the iPod. Maybe it is messing up.

I really, really, really, really don't want to switch to using iTunes as my default media player, though. I don't like the controls, I don't like the scrolling/searching for music, I don't like the view options, and I don't like the fear that somehow the wrong box is going to get checked and it'll decide to destroy all my music because it is trying to "help me." And I wanna be able to play wma and flac files (on my computer, this is.)

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    I still have yet to encounter a single problem with itunes. I dont understand all the hate.
    I also concur.

My problem:

I downloaded 9.0 without looking at the system requirements and I don't have a new enough version of OS X to run it. Does anyone know a good place to download older versions of itunes? Specifically 8.2.1. A quick google search yielded nothing useful.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Can itunes open .rar files? Can you adjust a setting to make that work?

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

Jeff: a .rar file is not a media file. It's a compressed/archived file system like a .zip file. You need an application that extracts the information from .rar files. Try winrar or something similar.
    Last edited by Donaldj; 09-25-2009 at 03:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

That explains quite a bit. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    I also concur.

My problem:

I downloaded 9.0 without looking at the system requirements and I don't have a new enough version of OS X to run it. Does anyone know a good place to download older versions of itunes? Specifically 8.2.1. A quick google search yielded nothing useful.
    It should not have run the installer after downloading unless you passed the system requirements check. Have you updated your os? Even if you have 10.4, you can update for free to 10.4.11 and run iTunes 9.

If you are using 10.3, you have a mac with a g3 processor!? Then you prob. cant run itunes 8 very well either. If you have at least a g4, grab system 10.5 off a torrent site, download iTunes 9.01, and you will be better for it.
    02, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12.2

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    .......... Does anyone know a good place to download older versions of itunes? Specifically 8.2.1. A quick google search yielded nothing useful.

www.oldversion.com

It doesn't appear to have (yet) the vers you want though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by prettydirtything View Post
    It should not have run the installer after downloading unless you passed the system requirements check. Have you updated your os? Even if you have 10.4, you can update for free to 10.4.11 and run iTunes 9.

If you are using 10.3, you have a mac with a g3 processor!? Then you prob. cant run itunes 8 very well either. If you have at least a g4, grab system 10.5 off a torrent site, download iTunes 9.01, and you will be better for it.
    I run OS X on a PC. I am currently running 10.4.1 and am able to upgrade to 10.4.11, but don't want to because then I have to find and reinstall all the necessary drivers for all my hardware and software that are compatible with 10.4.11. It's really a matter of laziness. I would rather just downgrade back to the old iTunes rather than installing a new OS.

And MarkO I checked that oldversions website and I couldn't figure out how to dl their programs. They gave me the runaround, linking me to random websites and shit. I think they are not legit.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Alright boardies, I need your help with itunes.

My itunes has been acting up quite a fucking bit as of late. Here is the run down…

1) Takes almost 5 minutes to load up after I open it.
    2) Once it opens it tells me that it is determining the audio volume for track 1 of 2,046 and never moves to track 2, freezes again.
    3) Has duplicated about half of the tracks in my library.
    4) Thought it was an itunes update issue so I tried to update and it does not allow me to update or download a new version.
    5) Tried to download an older version after uninstalling the new version and it tells me I can’t do that either.
    6) Completely freezes my entire fucking computer at certain points.

WHAT GIVES?!?!

At this point I have completely uninstalled itunes from my computer and I am debating my next move, any and all recommendations from you guys is greatly appreciated. Also, I do not remember nor did I write down any of the error messages that were presented to me that advised why I couldn’t update to a newer version of itunes or why I couldn’t dl an older version, because I’m a fucking dumb ass.

I thank you in advance for your assistance during this very difficult time.

Love,

-TT
    Last edited by ThomThom; 07-03-2010 at 04:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

1) Good things come to those that wait.
    2) You can hit the little x on the right and it should stop.
    3) It is good to have a backup.
    4) The new versions are worse than the old versions.
    5) Don't let it control you, man.
    6) Sometimes it is best to listen to the music without the distraction of all the multitasking.
    7) Argentina lost.

I have no real advice, sorry. You read what Brandon wrote early in this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    1) Good things come to those that wait.
    2) You can hit the little x on the right and it should stop.
    3) It is good to have a backup.
    4) The new versions are worse than the old versions.
    5) Don't let it control you, man.
    6) Sometimes it is best to listen to the music without the distraction of all the multitasking.
    7) Argentina lost.

I have no real advice, sorry. You read what Brandon wrote early in this thread?
    1) Five minutes is too long, it freezes up again shortly thereafter.
    2) Nothing happens when I try, itunes is frozen.
    3) Thanks for the tip
    4) I was willing to try anything to rectify the problem, even dare I say it ďupgradingĒ.
    5) Itís not controlling me, but itís annoying as fuck when your not given options.
    6) All of my music is on my computer.
    7) Thanks for the reminder.

I want to try it but I canít get itunes to stop freezing, even when I download a new fresh version it keeps doing the same shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

OH hey, sorry, got caught up with the game and other stuff. You forgot to mention you loaded that stupid app which adds songs to your itunes.

and old version, right here, a few posts above had that, hooray.

http://www.oldversion.com/iTunes.html

My iPod just went completely kaput today. It stuttered and sounding like it was beginning to frazzle out, and then it just did. Tried the manual restart and everything, no luck. Toggled the hold switch even.

Any ideas?
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    My iPod just went completely kaput today. It stuttered and sounding like it was beginning to frazzle out, and then it just did. Tried the manual restart and everything, no luck. Toggled the hold switch even.

Any ideas?
    Which generation iPod is it? Did you try plugging it into a power source THEN do the hard reset (menu & center or play/pause & center button) ?
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

as you start it up does it make a clicking sound? like something is trying to activate but failing?

if so, it's probably the hard drive. there are two courses of action that have worked for me... first, place it in a zip lock bag, and then in your freezer for a couple hours... if that doesn't work, whack the long edge of it on the side of a table...