PDA

View Full Version : Wherein ThomThom is to elucidate the point they are making with their signature.

codytwo
05-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Go ahead. Let's hear it.

ThomThom
05-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Nothing big, I just found it kind of horrifying that the entertainment business is sky-rocketing and the financial status of our country is the worst it has ever been.

I was a bit bothered by the numbers and will probably be even more bothered after next weekend's numbers. I guess it was just my way of showing a hint of frustration over the economical state of our glorious country for once, the rich get richer and everybody else stays the same blah blah blah.

Would you like me to remove it?

rage patton
05-22-2007, 01:09 AM
Any guesses on how much Pirates makes opening weekend?
My guess... $160-someodd million.
Sound about right?
I cant believe Spidey made that much though. Thats crazy.
Solution to all money problems. Take ALL the profits from Spidey 3, Shrek 3, Pirates 3, Oceans (1)3 and Rush Hour 3... and use them to fund the country.
P.S. Did I leave out any three-quels coming out this summer?

theburiedlife
05-22-2007, 02:50 AM
You should include the fact that the production value for Spiderman Three exceeded half a billion dollars. It may/not be relevant, but its interesting to see what people spend their money on.

mountmccabe
05-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Great thread, Cody. I had often come close to asking in the midst of random threads. Even ones in which ThomThom had not posted. You get different responses that way; it's fun.

At any rate my guess was that TT was saying the US should start making blockbuster films to pay off the national debt. I also was worried that this would mean Gabe what with his promotion and Erik what with his graduation would be drafted into a new branch of the armed forces. Except they wouldn't be armed (whew.) Unless you count cameras and word processors. And man, if you do, you're hurting.

Nothing big, I just found it kind of horrifying that the entertainment business is sky-rocketing and the financial status of our country is the worst it has ever been.

I don't understand how the figures in your signature express this as your sig shows no trends.

And it shows grosses for the movies rather than nets (assist on this goes to Andy.)

And showing the "Current National Debt for 2007" (that title doesn't make any sense, btw) does not express to me that the "financial status of our country is the worst it has ever been." And I'm pretty sure the financial status was worse during the Great Depression, to pick an easy target.

Show our GDP and/or other related data. Or demonstrate concentrations of wealth. And show data for a number of years. Then what you're attempting to convey might come across.

And then find some way to relate that to the film grosses. Good luck on that one.

TomAz
05-22-2007, 09:02 AM
yeah. show national debt as % of film grosses over a period of time.

Yablonowitz
05-22-2007, 09:02 AM
Great thread, Cody. I had often come close to asking in the midst of random threads. Even ones in which ThomThom had not posted. You get different responses that way; it's fun.

At any rate my guess was that TT was saying the US should start making blockbuster films to pay off the national debt. I also was worried that this would mean Gabe what with his promotion and Erik what with his graduation would be drafted into a new branch of the armed forces. Except they wouldn't be armed (whew.) Unless you count cameras and word processors. And man, if you do, you're hurting.

I don't understand how the figures in your signature express this as your sig shows no trends.

And it shows grosses for the movies rather than nets (assist on this goes to Andy.)

And showing the "Current National Debt for 2007" (that title doesn't make any sense, btw) does not express to me that the "financial status of our country is the worst it has ever been." And I'm pretty sure the financial status was worse during the Great Depression, to pick an easy target.

Show our GDP and/or other related data. Or demonstrate concentrations of wealth. And show data for a number of years. Then what you're attempting to convey might come across.

And then find some way to relate that to the film grosses. Good luck on that one.

Plus, I think movie industry revenues as a whole are on a downward trend, these recent blockbusters not withstanding.

codytwo
05-22-2007, 02:14 PM
The financial status of this country is not the worst its ever been. Do you know where national debt comes from? Do you have any idea about its implications? Is there any substantive connection between movie ticket receipts and national debt? Are you retarded? All of these are important questions that must be addressed.

algunz
05-22-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't think TT is trying to say that there is a connection. It's just sad to think that that much money is being made by mere entertainment when we are dealing with a profound national debt. Especially in war time.

amyzzz
05-22-2007, 02:27 PM
And people are dying of ethnic cleansing in Sudan.

fober
05-22-2007, 02:28 PM
2 highest opening weekend box office stats for 2007:

Spiderman 3 - $151,116,516.00
Shrek 3 - $122,000,000.00

Current National Debt for 2007:

$8,808,345,928,391.11

What the fuck do movie watchers have to do with the national debt?

algunz
05-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Everything and nothing.

fober
05-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Well I can do that too.

Average cost of education through college of 1 US citizen: $136,800

Average cost of manufacturing 1 Billion Big Macs: $351,712,000

Ooooooooooooh look at the disparity!

algunz
05-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Average number of students dropping out of school every day in the US: 7,000

Average number of daily attendees at Coachella '07: 60,000

ThomThom
05-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I don't think TT is trying to say that there is a connection. It's just sad to think that that much money is being made by mere entertainment when we are dealing with a profound national debt. Especially in war time.

Thank you

Hannahrain
05-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Average number of fingers on a hand: 5

Average number of legs on a spider: 8

This is more serious than I thought.

ThomThom
05-22-2007, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=codytwo;208915]The financial status of this country is not the worst its ever been. QUOTE]

You are absolutely right, my apologies...but boy is it fucking getting there

algunz
05-22-2007, 02:51 PM
Average number of squirrels in the tree outside my window: 4

Average number of bird shits on my car this week: 3 (big ones-bastards)

Yes, Hannah, this is serious.

SFChrissy
05-22-2007, 02:55 PM
I guess it was just my way of showing a hint of frustration over the economical state of our glorious country for once, the rich get richer and everybody else stays the same blah blah blah. ?

As for me I'm not staying at blah blah blah but getting poorer and poorer each week which totally cuts into my live music needs being fulfilled!!!

Would you like me to remove it?

NO

fober
05-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Average number: 8

Hannahrain
05-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Average of all averages: 29,370

ThomThom
05-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Plus, I think movie industry revenues as a whole are on a downward trend, these recent blockbusters not withstanding.

Yab, apparently the box office is up 77% from last year and is on pace to beat the records set by 2004's box office numbers of $9.54 billion and 2002's box office of 1.6 billion tickets sold.

fober
05-22-2007, 03:00 PM
I don't watch movies so count me out of that debacle.

I do however keep borrowing money from China for Pokemon cards.

My bad.

codytwo
05-22-2007, 03:15 PM
I don't think TT is trying to say that there is a connection. It's just sad to think that that much money is being made by mere entertainment when we are dealing with a profound national debt.

You are denying the suggestion of a connection in your first sentence, and then affirming your belief that there is a connection in your second sentence.

I am not saying there is no connection, but your complete lack of understanding on the subject is apparent.

algunz
05-22-2007, 03:46 PM
You are denying the suggestion of a connection in your first sentence, and then affirming your belief that there is a connection in your second sentence.

I am not saying there is no connection, but your complete lack of understanding on the subject is apparent.

My lack of understanding on many subjects is apparent. Just as I don't understand your rhetoric.

codytwo
05-22-2007, 03:49 PM
You are saying that it is sad that the movie industry is making money while the government is borrowing it. Why are you saying that? Explain to me the connection that exists there.

algunz
05-22-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm not saying there is a connection.

Everyday, somewhere, a new mother holds their stillborn child. While at the same time, uneducated idiots are multiplying like crazy. It's just sad, but neither has any real connection to the other.

codytwo
05-22-2007, 04:02 PM
If you are saying that it is sad, you are implying that one happens at the expense of the other. A stillborn baby is sad because it is the loss of an innocent life, the embodiment of human possibilities being extinguished. It isn't sad because someone else has a baby and you don't. You can say that its unfortunate that we have such a high national debt. You would have to justify it somehow, but doing so by meaninglessly comparing one number to a completely unrelated and uncorrelated number is stupid.

fober
05-22-2007, 04:03 PM
So basically, you're a confused cynic.

codytwo
05-22-2007, 04:04 PM
So basically, you're a confused cynic.

The word is idiot.

algunz
05-22-2007, 04:04 PM
"If you are saying that it is sad, you are implying that one happens at the expense of the other."

Why does that have to be true?

codytwo
05-22-2007, 04:07 PM
"If you are saying that it is sad, you are implying that one happens at the expense of the other."

Why does that have to be true?

Because you are framing it as such.

algunz
05-22-2007, 04:10 PM
"I still don't get it." Tom Hanks, Big

mountmccabe
05-22-2007, 04:35 PM
cody, I'd be QFTing what you've said in this thread but it'd be near everything.

amyzzz
05-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Wait, wait, wait a minute here. Why is codytwo referring to Thomthom as "they" and "their" in the title? (joke?)

codytwo
05-22-2007, 04:40 PM

Are you seriously having so much trouble understanding what YOU yourself said? You are saying it is sad that a lot of money is being made in entertainment while our government and central banking system makes specific policy decisions about how much national debt to allow. WHY ARE THEY RELATED AND HOW. If you cannot answer that question, don't make the point to begin with.

This may seem like simple semantics, but it outlines a huge problem in political discussion in this country. People and politicians all over the political spectrum frame the argument poorly to appeal to the emotions of the populace, rather than detailing the issues and addressing them responsibly.

Your insistence to characterize the issue of national debt as having something to do with the profits of the movie industry is not better than Bill O'Reilly characterizing every crime committed by an immigrant as an immigration issue.

codytwo
05-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Wait, wait, wait a minute here. Why is codytwo referring to Thomthom as "they" and "their" in the title? (joke?)

I wasn't sure about their gender. Still am not.

ThomThom
05-22-2007, 04:43 PM
I wasn't sure about their gender. Still am not.

ONE man ONE gender

algunz
05-22-2007, 04:43 PM
I'M NOT SAYING THEY ARE RELATED. I JUST THINK IT'S SAD!!

In fact, I don't think anyone is saying they are related except you.

amyzzz
05-22-2007, 04:44 PM
I prefer "s/he" as opposed to the unknown "they" when it is singular, but that's me.

codytwo
05-22-2007, 04:49 PM
I'M NOT SAYING THEY ARE RELATED. I JUST THINK IT'S SAD!!

So you think it is sad that the movie industry is making money?

algunz
05-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Yes, on movies like Spiderman 3.

codytwo
05-22-2007, 04:55 PM
So you are sad that bad movies make money. And you are sad that we have national debt. And you don't think that they are related in any way. But you for some reason believe it to be constructive to speak about both of these things in the same sentence.

algunz
05-22-2007, 04:57 PM
No, I'm sad that I'm still talking to you.

Sigh.

Hannahrain
05-22-2007, 04:58 PM
It really is too bad that people have AIDS and that I can't find my other shoe.

ThomThom
05-22-2007, 05:01 PM

I haven't been able to find my car keys for about 3 hours, and I'm at work.

algunz
05-22-2007, 05:02 PM

You always put the world in perspective. THANK YOU.

fober
05-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Hannah's shoe causes AIDS.

algunz
05-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Then it's good that it's lost - unless some evil ne'er do good has abscounded with it and is preparing the needlez for next year.

codytwo
05-22-2007, 05:37 PM
It really is sad that Hannah's shoe causes AIDS and ThomThom's car keys aren't doing anything to help.

You do realize you are being mocked, algunz and ThomThom, right?

Hannahrain
05-22-2007, 05:39 PM
It's sad that they don't realize it and that I dislike the toothpaste I bought yesterday.

algunz
05-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Are you sure? Or does that just make you feel better.

codytwo
05-22-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm pretty fucking sure that you have demonstrated your retard status in this thread and that you are further demonstrating it by failing to recognize your disgrace.

And your avatar makes me want to kill things.

algunz
05-22-2007, 05:45 PM
I hope it's not the cute little boy and puppy in your avatar, because that would be really sad and completely related to the media making too much money.

mountmccabe
05-22-2007, 05:46 PM
I really like this thread's ebb and flow; the sections of what feel like cathartic hilarity followed by slow, sad realization that this is never going to end.

algunz
05-22-2007, 05:47 PM
"Have fun stormin' the castle."

codytwo
05-22-2007, 05:48 PM
I always underestimate the staggering ability of irrational people to behave irrationally.