PDA

View Full Version : Stops I should make on my Cross-Country drive

ewiggy
05-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Recommend them here. I'm trying to plan things now so I know how much $ to have saved. It's about a month off.

My route will be from Tampa, FL to Anaheim Hills, CA.

I already plan on stopping in New Orleans and a little detour to Austin. What else?

gaypalmsprings
05-09-2007, 05:00 PM
the restroom and a shower

amyzzz
05-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Lots of people are starting traveling threads today.

If you're going through Arizona, you might want to hit the Grand Canyon or Sedona if you like scenery. What exactly are you looking for in a "stop?"

TomAz
05-09-2007, 05:07 PM
I have driven pretty much that entire route in different segments, though not all at once. New Orleans, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio are really the only interesting things, and Houston and San Antonio are not all that interesting. There are good authentic Cajun restaurants between Laffayette La. and Beaumont Tx. Austin to El Paso is like 10 hours of nothing. El Paso is nothing but Mexico is right there. In Tucson there is a nice national park if you are into deserts and cacti and stuff. In Phoenix there are lots of golf courses.

Also when you are in Austin be sure to eat at Guero's and Stubb's.

Courtney
05-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Marfa, Texas. I want to live there someday.

ewiggy
05-09-2007, 05:09 PM
where's cool to go in new orleans and austin?

also i'm going to stalk amy when i get into arizona. i'll pick up where yabs left off.

ewiggy
Marfa, Texas. I want to live there someday.

what's there?

TomAz
Marfa has the ghost lights.

tessalasset
05-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Go to Hutto, TX

Courtney
05-09-2007, 05:14 PM
what's there?

Mysterious ghost lights. The Donald Judd Foundation. My favorite art museum in the entire country, The Chinati Foundation. The Marfa Book Co, The Brown Recluse which is an entirely appealing coffee shop / vintage record shop, and Ballroom Marfa which randomly gets amazing acts like Yo La Tengo, Jenny Lewis, Grizzly Bear and Jeff Tweedy come to a town that's roughly population 4000. Plus a bunch of great art galleries and the art installation piece Prada Marfa. Oh and the best pizza I've had since I left New York.

amyzzz
05-09-2007, 05:15 PM
where's cool to go in new orleans and austin?

also i'm going to stalk amy when i get into arizona. i'll pick up where yabs left off.
If you do, be prepared to be randomly insulted for no apparent reason! Just warning you.

TomAz
05-09-2007, 05:15 PM
I've never stalked you amy.

ewiggy
05-09-2007, 05:16 PM
marfa is almost 100 miles out of the way. is it worth 100 miles?

amyzzz
05-09-2007, 05:17 PM
I think I stalked you though.

Courtney
05-09-2007, 05:17 PM
marfa is almost 100 miles out of the way. is it worth 100 miles?

In my opinion, it's worth moving to Texas for. That's saying a lot. (But you have to be into contemporary art to fully appreciate it, I think.)

TomAz
05-09-2007, 05:18 PM
depends on how big a hurry you're in. By the time you get to that part of Texas your mind will be craving a change. between Marfa, Alpine, and Ft Davis, there's some things to see (and considerably cooler temps than on I-10). if you really want to get adventurous go all the way down to Big Bend, that's some gorgeous country there.

ewiggy
05-09-2007, 05:24 PM
i'm always feeling adventurous. i just googled prada marfa and got this:

West Texas has a history of faux-ruins. Beginning in the 50s, flatcars arrived from California carrying "Riata." This huge prop became the plywood-thin mansion of Elizabeth Taylor and Rock Hudson in Giant. The mansard-roofed prop bravely weathered the West Texas climate for years. It's last appearance was a cameo appearance in Fandango.

Then there was the Oasis Gas Station for the movie Dancer, Texas, pop. 81 and finally Contrabando - a complete faux-village built just north of the Rio Grande on highway 170 that has appeared in both US and Mexican movies - at least one of them named Contrabando.

But Prada Marfa takes the proverbial cake. Movie sets are meant to be art but seldom are they wry statements. Prada Marfa is (was) both.

It's "Grand-opening" / showing occurred on October 1st, 2005. (My invitation was probably lost in the excitement of hurricane Rita.) When I first saw the photos of the sculpture - I knew that the glass windows and doorway probably didn't see the sunrise of October 2nd. (Actually, the vandals took three days to arrive.)

A time-released time capsule.

The artists and supporters of this project knew this too. Made of earth-friendly earth, this biodegradable adobe building will slowly melt back into the landscape once the looters have removed the merchandise. The slow fade to oblivion will provide countless hours of conversation for motorists driving through West Texas. Starting with simple questions like "What the hell was that?" it's sure to inspire more thoughtful dialogue - like "When is advertising art?" or "When is art advertising?" Or (for really long trips) "What is art, anyway?" My question is: If it wasn't Marfa Prada, then who did sit behind me in 9th grade science?

Texas' most famous outdoor sculpture is probably the weather-worn, graffiti-covered "Cadillac Ranch" outside of Amarillo. It's been baking and freezing in the Panhandle for 30-some years now and still going strong. But like the man said about progress - there's nothing wrong with it - it just went on too long. Prada Marfa may never outlast those bodies by Fisher, but it's already become the most talked about sculpture of the 21st Century - despite the puny traffic count of highway 90.

that's fucking cool.

Courtney
05-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Yeah, it's awesome. Here are pictures of the Prada installation I took in January. It's so bizarre that it's this hermetically sealed store in the middle of nowhere.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/349959496_ee8fc2ecef.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/151/349960280_f1cc5f9272.jpg

CuervoPH
05-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Stop at Mother's in New Orleans (restaurant on Poydras just down from the Superdome) and have one of their po-boys. Wait. That would be my normal suggestion but not sure what they'd have in the way of vegetarian options.

Anyway, Tipitina's (on Tchopitoulas...outside the Quarter) usually has good music every night. Crescent City Brewhouse (between the river and the Quarter just before you get to Cafe Du Monde and Jackson Square) is good if you like sampling beers. They feature six beers that they make and you can buy a rack (6 oz sample of each one) for a pretty good price. If you like industrial dance music and can find it, the Dungeon used to be fun. Haven't been there in several years though. It's in the Quarter somewhere. Oh, and go have an overpriced hurricane at Pat O'Briens just so you can say you've been and see the flaming fountains. You won't want to stay there long, but you can mark that off your life's to-do list.

mountmccabe
05-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Stop in Phoenix. We have bowling lanes. And mexican food. And small downtown arts/concert venues. There are mountains. Canyons. Fighting racoons.

ewiggy
05-09-2007, 05:44 PM
looks like the 10 takes me right through phoenix. can we go bowling? you better not be lying about the fighting raccoons.

amyzzz
05-09-2007, 05:48 PM
MEXICAN FOOD. Yeah, we have that. La Pinata on 19th Ave and Osborn (Phx). To die for.

amyzzz
05-09-2007, 05:48 PM
(I don't think we have raccoons)

bmb555
05-09-2007, 05:52 PM
if your driving through el paso take a little trip into juarez, you can get into all kinds of trouble down there...in a good way

joppy-slow
05-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Yeah, it's awesome. Here are pictures of the Prada installation I took in January. It's so bizarre that it's this hermetically sealed store in the middle of nowhere.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/349959496_ee8fc2ecef.jpg

very cool..

I would drive some of the old route 66.. play some music from lost highway.

jackstraw94086
05-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Stop in Phoenix. We have bowling lanes. And mexican food. And small downtown arts/concert venues. There are mountains. Canyons. Fighting racoons.

you guys barely have mexican food. You're all about the tex-mex

mountmccabe
05-09-2007, 06:13 PM
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf100/f106/f10610stdmf.jpg

mountmccabe
05-09-2007, 06:16 PM

I never said every place was real mexican food. Or that mexican food places outnumbered more tex-mex places. I just said that we had mexican food. I know that of which I speak, boy.

SojuGorae
05-09-2007, 06:18 PM
http://www.donnasharp.com/Dot_imageVIEW.asp?ImageID=141

MarkO
05-09-2007, 06:19 PM

Whoa girl ..... :winkiss

thefunkylama
05-09-2007, 06:20 PM
San Diego. See everything.

gaypalmsprings
05-09-2007, 06:20 PM
only white skinheads eat at Cracker Barrel

SojuGorae
05-09-2007, 06:23 PM
WRONG

I love stopping by a Cracker Barrels during cross-country road trips even though I'm not a cracker ass cracker.

ewiggy
05-09-2007, 06:26 PM
eggs in a basket, dude.

J~$$$
05-09-2007, 06:27 PM
stay away from colorado.

PS. cracker barrels and waffle houses are strategically placed along the meth highway

ewiggy
05-09-2007, 06:48 PM
i was actually thinking about going to alamosa, colorado to visit a friend.

but now i won't, because i hate you and your state.

disgustipated
05-09-2007, 06:52 PM
While in Austin check out Barton Springs, Hamilton Pool, sculpture falls, twin falls. All natural swimming holes. Hamilton Pool is worth the entire drive... you might just stay.

HAIRYGOOMBA
05-09-2007, 07:43 PM
If you stop at the Grand Canyon, go to the "transportation desk" at
Bright Angel Lodge and see if they have any cancellations at Phantom Ranch

That's a really great thing to do, or at least hike down South Kaibab
trail a couple miles.
Then there's always the Dia foundation's Lightning Fields by Walter de
Maria near Quemado New Mexico...definitely worth visiting sometime!
Bon Voyage.

J~$$$
05-09-2007, 07:45 PM
i was actually thinking about going to alamosa, colorado to visit a friend.

but now i won't, because i hate you and your state.

I feel sorry for your friend.

because they live in Alamosa.

ewiggy
05-09-2007, 07:47 PM
i think i'm gonna leave the grand canyon experience for when my mom, brother and i can all go together. maybe in the fall when it's cooler out.

ewiggy
05-09-2007, 07:48 PM
I feel sorry for your friend.

because they live in Alamosa.

it appears to be quite beautiful there. shes in a homeless outreach program that is set up by americorps. she's done some awesome, selfless things there. and there are beautiful hot springs nearby.

J~$$$
05-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Yeah its a nice area I just dont want ur kind in my state NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!! IM SELFISH YARRRRRRRGGGGGGAHHHHH!

downingthief
05-09-2007, 07:57 PM

Oh, Jack...how wrong you are.

ewiggy
05-09-2007, 07:57 PM
a long time ago, we used to be friends.

edit: damnit, downingthief.

J~$$$
05-09-2007, 07:59 PM
OMG Lost is on BRB byes, I still <3 you $40.

bug on your lip
05-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Question : Stops I should make on my Cross-Country drive

Answer: my pants

amyzzz
05-10-2007, 11:41 AM
i think i'm gonna leave the grand canyon experience for when my mom, brother and i can all go together. maybe in the fall when it's cooler out.
The weather is actually rather pleasant at the top. By winter it will be really cold.

chrislasf
05-10-2007, 12:18 PM
Avoid Four Fucking Corners.

ewiggy
05-10-2007, 12:50 PM
why's that?

amyzzz
05-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Don't they have the Hanta virus or some shit at Four Corners? Yeah, stay away.

chrislasf
05-10-2007, 12:54 PM
It is hot as balls and uninteresting. Unless you get off on bad Native American jewelry and hash marks etched into the desert floor.

TomAz
05-10-2007, 12:56 PM
It is hot as balls and uninteresting. Unless you get off on bad Native American jewelry and hash marks etched into the desert floor.

these are true statements.

fatbastard
05-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Louisiana-K-Pauls
http://www.kpauls.com/

Dallas-Pappas Brothers
http://www.pappasbros.com/

San Diego-Lou and Mickey's
http://www.louandmickeys.com/

Anaheim-The Original Pancake House
http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/phloc_anaheim.html

ewiggy
07-17-2007, 05:15 PM
i'm reviving this. can anyone recommend cheap but safe places for me to stay in New Orleans, Austin, and Phoenix?

keep in mind that i am female, and traveling by myself. i am considering the Austin Hostel, but i'm not sure yet.

J~$$$
07-17-2007, 05:34 PM
You should come by my house and we can party with my bridge club....it usually turns into a drunken freestyle dance party in my living room.

Alchemy
07-17-2007, 05:40 PM
El Paso is nothing but Mexico is right there.

WTF!

Ewiggy, El Paso isn't much but believe-you-me Juarez is a scary place these days. The drive from Austin to El Paso is a beast though, and I recommend you staying in El Paso. I'd be happy to tell you different things you can do here, if you do stay here. If you are just passing through here, then there is plenty of stuff in El Paso.

Mr. Dylanja
07-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Come to Phoenix and watch your skin melt, seriously.

ewiggy
07-17-2007, 06:36 PM
WTF!

Ewiggy, El Paso isn't much but believe-you-me Juarez is a scary place these days. The drive from Austin to El Paso is a beast though, and I recommend you staying in El Paso. I'd be happy to tell you different things you can do here, if you do stay here. If you are just passing through here, then there is plenty of stuff in El Paso.

austin to phoenix is about 1,000 miles. i think i can do that in one day. maybe. most i've done before was about 850.

mob roulette
07-17-2007, 07:02 PM
austin to phoenix is about 1,000 miles. i think i can do that in one day. maybe. most i've done before was about 850.

stop in tucson and stay a night at the congress. you'll be glad you did. you can have a few drinks the night before, then wake up and have a nice leisurely hangover breakfast either at the hotel or at the grill (eggs, pancakes, roasted potatoes, tabasco, juice, another drink, etc.) and then slowly ease yourself into the bland surburban hell that is the majority of phoenix.

this is good advice, i'm telling you.

TomAz
07-17-2007, 07:17 PM
i'm reviving this. can anyone recommend cheap but safe places for me to stay in New Orleans, Austin, and Phoenix?

keep in mind that i am female, and traveling by myself. i am considering the Austin Hostel, but i'm not sure yet.

Here's what you do. When you get to Austin, go to 4th Street (not 6th Street), west of the freeway, til you come to The Gingerman. Go in there, put $5 in the best jukebox on the planet, and have a few beers. They have like 250,000 different ones on tap. Srsly. Start a conversation, mention Okkervil River, and you'll be fine. srsly.

ewiggy
07-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Here's what you do. When you get to Austin, go to 4th Street (not 6th Street), west of the freeway, til you come to The Gingerman. Go in there, put $5 in the best jukebox on the planet, and have a few beers. They have like 250,000 different ones on tap. Srsly. Start a conversation, mention Okkervil River, and you'll be fine. srsly.

tom that place looks great. i am definitely going. thank you.

ewiggy
07-17-2007, 07:45 PM
stop in tucson and stay a night at the congress. you'll be glad you did. you can have a few drinks the night before, then wake up and have a nice leisurely hangover breakfast either at the hotel or at the grill (eggs, pancakes, roasted potatoes, tabasco, juice, another drink, etc.) and then slowly ease yourself into the bland surburban hell that is the majority of phoenix.

this is good advice, i'm telling you.

that also looks pretty bad ass. and not too expensive. ill look into it later and see if i can afford it.

mob roulette
07-17-2007, 07:46 PM
As of August 2006, two movie production units were using locations in Marfa: the film There Will Be Blood, an adaptation of the Upton Sinclair novel Oil, directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, and the Coen Brothers' adaptation of the Cormac McCarthy novel "No Country for Old Men".

Shit, negro, that's all you needed to say!

Alchemy
07-17-2007, 07:47 PM
When are you doing this trip?

ewiggy
07-17-2007, 07:51 PM
i leave tampa on august 5th. which is also my 25th birthday. which i hope to celebrate over a good beer in new orleans.

Hannahrain
07-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Eugene, Oregon. I know an awesome couch you can sleep on.

It's velvety and has dog hair on it.

TomAz
07-17-2007, 08:02 PM
i leave tampa on august 5th. which is also my 25th birthday. which i hope to celebrate over a good beer in new orleans.

I once drove Sarasota to Houston in one day. One very, very long day. Do you know how fucking long Florida is? You're gonna be beat when you get to NO.

Now that I think about it I think I've driven every mile of your journey. You're gonna be a zombie. Good luck.

other advice:

when you leave NO and you get hungry stop for lunch in Lafayette or Lake Charles and get some boudin and crawfish.

when you get to Houston pay the toll to take the Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 8) if you're anywhere close to rush hour. it's worth the $.

290 to Austin, there are occasional speedtraps, be careful.

Austin to El Paso is hell. The first couple of hours aren't bad, but west of Junction it gets gradually worse. I mean long stretches of desert so barren, so devoid of anything of interest, that 'nothingness' will seem captivating by comparison. I bet you want to crash in El Paso.

El Paso to PHX is just 6 hours. PHX to LA is just 6 or 7 hours depending on traffic. those will seem like short jaunts after what preceded it.

that is all.

ewiggy
07-17-2007, 08:03 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1263/841853655_2e2e61adef_o.jpg

hmm, prolly not.

ewiggy
07-17-2007, 08:06 PM
I once drove Sarasota to Houston in one day. One very, very long day. Do you know how fucking long Florida is? You're gonna be beat when you get to NO.

Now that I think about it I think I've driven every mile of your journey. You're gonna be a zombie. Good luck.

other advice:

when you leave NO and you get hungry stop for lunch in Lafayette or Lake Charles and get some boudin and crawfish.

when you get to Houston pay the toll to take the Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 8) if you're anywhere close to rush hour. it's worth the $.

290 to Austin, there are occasional speedtraps, be careful.

Austin to El Paso is hell. The first couple of hours aren't bad, but west of Junction it gets gradually worse. I mean long stretches of desert so barren, so devoid of anything of interest, that 'nothingness' will seem captivating by comparison. I bet you want to crash in El Paso.

El Paso to PHX is just 6 hours. PHX to LA is just 6 or 7 hours depending on traffic. those will seem like short jaunts after what preceded it.

that is all.

thanks tom. i'm not particularly keen on trying crawfish, but who knows. i may have lost my mind by then. also i remembered that the ~850 mile drive i did made me want to kill myself. so it looks like i'll stop in el paso. boo.

mob roulette
07-17-2007, 08:09 PM
austin to el paso rules. ride the snake baby. break on through.

thefunkylama
07-17-2007, 08:10 PM
I have family around Lafayette who sell boudin. We get it shipped from there. It's really good. Warm boudin is an excellent breakfast.

TRY THE GOD DAMNED CRAWFISH.

TomAz
07-17-2007, 08:12 PM
I remember the first time I tried boudin. I couldn't believe something so simple could be so amazing. I could get good boudin when I lived in Houston, but now, ha, no luck.

and yes, try the crawfish and suck the heads.

ewiggy
07-17-2007, 08:16 PM
fuck you both.

thefunkylama
07-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Ok I don't know about sucking the heads. But boudin is like the most amazing thing ever in the world.

Hey Tom, guess what? I'm going to Louisiana this coming weekend. I'll get to eat all the boudin I want.

Yeah I thought I'd rub that in.

ewiggy
07-17-2007, 08:17 PM
alma i am bringing you key limes. i hope they stay good until i go to san diego on 9/3.

TomAz
07-17-2007, 08:18 PM
damn i'm hungry now.

thefunkylama
07-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Citrus, I believe, have long shelf-life.

disgustipated
07-17-2007, 11:15 PM
=fatbastard;196137]Dallas-Pappas Brothers
http://www.pappasbros.com/

San Diego-Lou and Mickey's
http://www.louandmickeys.com/

Ahahaha....I work at Lou and Mickey's....stay away! better places to eat in this town.

and Fuck Papa's bros.

disgustipated
07-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Seriously though...go to Hamilton Pool.

With all the rain Texas has had lately the pool will be amazing.

http://www.co.travis.tx.us/tnr/parks/hamilton_pool.asp

http://www.voterichphillips.com/hamilton_pool.gif

So much to do in and around Austin, I can't begin to list them all.

and yes the drive from Austin to El Paso is rough.

breakjaw
07-17-2007, 11:27 PM
I've driven from LA to New Orleans 3 times and took the Sunset Limited Amtrak from PHX-Tampa once.
If you've never been to Memphis,I'd recommend that.It's just a few hours north of New Orleans.Go to Graceland and watch how everyone's all joking around and laughing,and then gets all serious and thoughtful for the obligatory photos at the gravesite.The Rendezvous ribs.Sun Studios.It's all good.
Also highly recommend a detour to Santa Fe,NM if you get the chance.And Jerome,AZ (it's 2 hours N. of PHX.If you are going to the Grand Canyon,it's on the way.)I dare you to stay at the Jerome Grand Hotel.
Also before you leave Tampa,the Salvador Dali Museum is pretty cool.
Tom's right,the southern route is killer from Houston-El Paso.Then again if you go to Memphis and head west you get Arkansas,Oklahoma,Amarillo.Not much better.

disgustipated
07-17-2007, 11:32 PM
good. Both suck equally.

disgustipated
07-17-2007, 11:34 PM
weird

ewiggy
07-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Ahahaha....I work at Lou and Mickey's....stay away! better places to eat in this town.

and Fuck Papa's bros.

strangely enough, i won't be passing through dallas OR san diego. so that solves that.

Seriously though...go to Hamilton Pool.

that looks amazing. is it usually crowded? i'll be there on a weekday, but it's the middle of the summer..

If you've never been to Memphis,I'd recommend that.It's just a few hours north of New Orleans.

395 mi – about 5 hours 53 mins. that's a little out of the way.

Also before you leave Tampa,the Salvador Dali Museum is pretty cool.

yep, i've been there. i've lived here for 6 years - i've seen pretty much everything FL has to offer. except the dry tortugas.

good. Both suck equally.

sorry, i deleted my post because it was not in the right order.

disgustipated
07-17-2007, 11:44 PM
that looks amazing. is it usually crowded? i'll be there on a weekday, but it's the middle of the summer..

It's never really too packed (off the beaten path) I have been many times where it was only me and my girl for a few hours...the place is heaven.

sorry, i deleted my post because it was not in the right order.

good I thought I was more inebriated than I actually am.

while in Arizona you can take a tour of Maynards winery Merkin vineyards/Caduceus winery

http://www.caduceus.org/

breakjaw
07-17-2007, 11:48 PM
395 mi – about 5 hours 53 mins. that's a little out of the way.

Oops,I guess it's been awhile since I made the trip.I forgot it was that far.Be real careful where you stay in N.O.I've stayed there 3 times(not since Katrina) and once we stayed at a Motel 6 on the outskirts of the French Quarter,and it was a pretty seedy experience.I've also stayed at the Holiday Inn at Royal St which was an expensive and sucky ripoff,and one other hotel right by the Superdome which was great,but I can't remember the name now.
Check with some of the resorts in PHX,sometimes they have really cheap weekday specials in summer.

disgustipated
07-17-2007, 11:58 PM
you can visit Leslie while in Austin too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Cochran

I actually let him stay at my house once.

thinnerair
07-18-2007, 06:25 AM
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/ar/AREURchrist1.jpg
Christ of the Ozarks, Eureka Springs, Arkansas
This Big J stands along a ridge near the Great Passion Play amphitheater, New Holy Land, and the Christ Only Art Gallery. He is probably the "World's Tallest Uncrucified Christ" (if we totally ignore the 125 ft. tall mountaintop Christ statue in Rio de Janeiro), standing seven stories and weighing two million pounds . He was completed in 1966, and according to "The Story of the Building of the Great Statue," as many as three cars could be hung on either wrist without damage.

Visitors report that the eyes seem to move, but this is explained as the movement of the sun, not another incredible miracle. At night, attendees of the four-hour-long Passion Play walk off cramps around the eerie illuminated Messiah. The whole cavalcade of Bible treats was founded by the late radio racist Reverend Gerald L. K. Smith.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/images/trans_twins_rush.jpg
The Fort Crawford Medical Museum, Prairie du Chien, WI, chronicles the digestive experiments of our hero, Dr. Beaumont, but the real stars are the Transparent Twins, two clear plastic female mannequins. Organs glow, arteries pulse, nerves shimmer in cool blue. They rotate to display their transparent backsides.

The twin on the right does all the talking -- probably because her sister has no face. (Note: the Twins model in the promo photo, left, is arranged with the talking sister on the left.)

"How do you do? We are the transparent twins. Imagine if your skin suddenly became transparent -- then you would look much like me."

Mysterious pelvic organs blink on. "My eggs, when fertilized by sperm from my husband, will turn into a child." Two higher bulbs brighten. "My breasts provide milk for the newborn..."

So this is why Superman could never enjoy a peep show.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/mi/MISTIspot01_1038.jpg
Oregon Vortex near Gold Hill, Oregon, open to the public since 1930. Tennis balls really do seem to roll uphill here, brooms really do stand on end.

After subjecting many spots to rigorous, very scientific tests, our Mystery Spot Test Kit ™ indicates that the Oregon Vortex is the most disturbed.

What causes the mysterious goings-on here? No one knows.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

ewiggy
07-29-2007, 11:22 PM
ok. i decided i'm going to stay in Marfa instead of El Paso.

while i was checking out the Chinati Foundation, i saw on their website that they are having an open house event in October. the description has this to say:

Notable features of this year's Open House will be two special exhibitions by David Rabinowitch, a talk with David Adjaye, Trevor Smith, and Andrea Zittel, a special exhibition examining Donald Judd's Lascaux Series and a free Saturday night concert by the legendary Sonic Youth.

haha!

algunz
07-30-2007, 02:55 PM
That's almost worth a drive through Texas.

mob roulette
07-30-2007, 09:38 PM
Wow. Your Marfa news makes me happy. That sounds like fun. I don't think it will fit into your schedule, but if you leave Marfa on say Sunday or Monday, Rilo Kiley is playing in Tucson on Tuesday and Devendra Banhart on Wednesday. I can prolly get you comp tickets to both. PM me if you're interested.

Also sorry I haven't posted in a while. Apparently my liver stopped working for a minute. They thought I was going to die. But I didn't. Not that any of YOU people noticed. Bastards.

But this isn't about me. This is ewig's thread. K_____, please continue. You have some wonderful stories. Do you remember the one about the crucifix? That one was my favorite. Tell us that one and I'll tell you how it feels to be shot up with morphine for the first time. It was sort of amazing.

Hannahrain
07-30-2007, 09:46 PM
They thought I was going to die. But I didn't.

Thank you for not dying. We'd miss your purty face that we've never seen.

Hope you're feeling OK.

miscorrections
07-30-2007, 09:49 PM
kristen, i'd be more fussy about keeping this thread on topic if you'd started it in 1999, but you didn't so:

mob i am happy that you did not die. i guess you should hire a motivational speaker to make your liver want to do its job.

Courtney
07-30-2007, 10:29 PM
As treasurer of the Kristen Nicole Brown Circa 1999 fan club, I should mention that I cannot be trusted with simple mathematical equations. But I promise to smile and nod at appropriate intervals at all club meetings.

Also k-dawg, will you buy me a Brown Recluse logo coffee mug in Marfa? Please? And also please take a photo of yourself standing in front of this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/allisonvsmith/22376598/) wall.

mob roulette
07-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Thank you for your kind words. It is true, my liver turned out to be a traitor. I mean, yeah, I've abused it some over the years, but no more so than any other normal red blooded American male. Whatever that means. In any case, not enough for it to just up and take a crap on me. It was all like, "later for you, Luke, I'm going to go take a nap now." All nonchalant like, like it didn't have anything else to do. Something like, oh I don't know, how about maybe BEING MY FUCKING LIVER AND KEEPING MY BODY FREE OF THE TOXINS THAT TURNED ON ME AND ATTACKED ME AND MADE ME COLLAPSE IN A FUCKING WALGREEN'S WHILE YOU DECIDED TO GO DO YOUR OWN THING, YOU SELFISH FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT? But whatever. I'm over it now. My little brush with death has given me a new lease on life. I have decided that I am going to write a book. Or a screenplay. Or both. Life's too short to die a hustler. And then maybe live overseas for awhile. And also date Leslie Feist. And then maybe briefy marry Polly Jean Harvey, but just to give her something good to write about again. Maybe. Though not necessarily in that order.

And Hannah, you HAVE seen a picture of me. On my old page. Thanks for calling me out. I never posted one on here because of my work and some other considerations. But when I get back to Phoenix, perhaps I will try to find a suitable one. Perhaps. I am on a laptop right now.

And I'm not really this egocentric. Except for when I am. My whole mood is just like "fuck death and the equal packet he rode in on" right now. You know what I mean? It seems to be helping.

And again, sorry Kristen. Your thread. Please continue. That was you with the crucifix story right? I might be confusing two different things here. I am in love with your proposed roadtrip so far though.

full on idle
07-30-2007, 11:13 PM
wait what you are dying?

ewiggy
07-31-2007, 12:32 AM
K_____, please continue. You have some wonderful stories. Do you remember the one about the crucifix? That one was my favorite. Tell us that one and I'll tell you how it feels to be shot up with morphine for the first time. It was sort of amazing.

i got nothing on crucifixes, but tell me the morphine bit anyway.

I am in love with your proposed roadtrip so far though.

me too. especially the part where we hang out and i come back to the board with an epic story about it. i will be in phoenix next Wednesday or Thursday. HOLLER.

algunz
07-31-2007, 07:29 AM
By the way, what is your final destination goal? Anaheim? Visiting Gwen or Disneyland? Not much else to do there. I live in Tustin if you need any tips for the OC.

Mob, sorry about your liver. Still waiting on the morphine story. Also, what were your symptoms? Maybe you should start your own informative thread, so you don't hi-jack this one.

ewiggy
07-31-2007, 08:07 AM
By the way, what is your final destination goal? Anaheim? Visiting Gwen or Disneyland? Not much else to do there. I live in Tustin if you need any tips for the OC.

my mom lives in "Anaheim Hills". i haven't quite figured out if "Anaheim" and "Anaheim Hills" are two different cities, or if people just say "Anaheim Hills" to sound snobby. i'm pretty sure USPS says it's all just Anaheim.

Mob, sorry about your liver. Still waiting on the morphine story. Also, what were your symptoms? Maybe you should start your own informative thread, so you don't hi-jack this one.

mob has my permission to hijack.

bug on your lip
07-31-2007, 08:12 AM
if mob dies you should keep driving with him in the backseat ala "Vacation"

SFChrissy
07-31-2007, 08:44 AM
where's cool to go in new orleans

Mister B's has great food...the tourtle soup and rabbit stew were surprisingly delicious.

there's ton's of vampire and ghost tours and the place to go for beignet's is Café du Monde...NOLA.com

mob roulette
07-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Goddamnit, who had the bulimic roomate who used to gag herself with a crucifix? There's no way I made that shit up. No way. It was one of you. Fess up.

I could have sworn we were talking about weight loss/dieting at the time too. Does that ring a bell? Anyone?

kthx//

full on idle
07-31-2007, 07:06 PM
It was a girl that Chairmenmeow went to boarding school with. Or camp. Or something.

ewiggy
07-31-2007, 07:08 PM
oh yeah, it was ivy. and it was boarding school, i'm pretty sure. that was weird.

algunz
07-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Anaheim Hills is considerably different than Anaheim, and both kinda suck.

Well . . . in essence most of Orange County does.

ewiggy
08-15-2007, 11:46 AM
ok. i arrived on saturday evening. the trip ended up being a completely different route.

i had to find a new home for my 2 cats, and at the last minute the person in FL who was supposed to take them decided she didn't want them anymore. i had a really hard time finding them a new home, but eventually a friend in DC offered to take them. so i drove to DC to deliver them, and then to LA. 3600 miles total.

i ended up leaving several days after i had intended to, which caused me to be in more of a hurry than i had planned, so i didn't make very many unplanned stops to just check things out. i did stop at Cadillac Ranch, though. that was cool.

i stopped in DC; Nashville; Oklahoma City; and Gallup, NM to sleep, and a close friend of mine lives in Nashville so we got to hang out a bit.

anyway, these are the photos from my trip. for some reason i didn't take any in DC or Nashville. i guess because i was upset in DC about leaving the cats, and in Nashville i was busy enjoying the company of my friend. so sorry about that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowedthefly/sets/72157601405034171/

TomAz
08-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Flagstaff = "Finally"?

ewiggy
08-15-2007, 12:12 PM
no - that was the first sign i saw that said Los Angeles.

TomAz
08-15-2007, 12:45 PM
so you didn't ever make it to Phoenix after all?

ewiggy
08-15-2007, 12:52 PM
nope. but i think i'm going to try for Okkervil in Phoenix.

mob roulette
08-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Tom, I feel neglected. Do you feel neglected?

Kristen, I am holding your backstage pass hostage until you apologize for being so nice to other species. I mean, really. How sensible can you get?

mob roulette
08-15-2007, 06:51 PM
Also, was this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_Arena) the pyramid of which you speak?

mountmccabe
08-15-2007, 07:09 PM
I like your pics, Kristen.

ewiggy
08-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Tom, I feel neglected. Do you feel neglected?

Kristen, I am holding your backstage pass hostage until you apologize for being so nice to other species. I mean, really. How sensible can you get?

neglected? why?

also i am a bleeding heart when it comes to animals, and giving up the cats i raised from kittens and for the past 6 years has broken my heart. not sure if you were, but please don't make fun.

Also, was this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_Arena) the pyramid of which you speak?

yes, that's the one. wanted to stop in Memphis but didn't have time. looked cool, though. from the highway.

I like your pics, Kristen.

thank you!

mob roulette
08-15-2007, 11:40 PM
neglected? why?

also i am a bleeding heart when it comes to animals, and giving up the cats i raised from kittens and for the past 6 years has broken my heart. not sure if you were, but please don't make fun.

I wasn't making fun of you. It was just a rather complicated joke involving you not coming to see us in the big PHX but having a really, really good reason. Like really good. Like the best anyone could think of. I am sorry about the cats. You have a very big heart. I'm just glad you made it there safe. Cross-country trips are something, huh? Exhilirating and exhausting all at the same time.

PlayaDelWes
08-15-2007, 11:43 PM
Recommend them here. I'm trying to plan things now so I know how much $ to have saved. It's about a month off.

My route will be from Tampa, FL to Anaheim Hills, CA.

I already plan on stopping in New Orleans and a little detour to Austin. What else?

I recommend NOT stopping in Anaheim Hills.

ewiggy
08-15-2007, 11:49 PM
I wasn't making fun of you. It was just a rather complicated joke involving you not coming to see us in the big PHX but having a really, really good reason. Like really good. Like the best anyone could think of. I am sorry about the cats. You have a very big heart.

oh, ok. thank you. i love them kittens.

I'm just glad you made it there safe. Cross-country trips are something, huh? Exhilirating and exhausting all at the same time.

i wish my mom hadn't made me call her twice a freakin day - it disrupted the feeling of being on the road by myself, on a journey to a new part of my life, etc. but she was very worried about me, so i had to keep checking in.

otherwise it was incredibly beautiful and strangely cathartic. i kind of want to do it again. it went by incredibly fast.