PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever been to Thailand?

whynotsmile99
05-09-2007, 04:08 PM
My good friend and I are planing on backpacking all over Thailand when we graduate college this coming fall. Any particular tips or websites that could give us some information on certain areas to see, housing, getting around, etc would be a great help.

I've traveled a lot, but not exactly backpacking it like we are planing. I can't wait!

TomAz
05-09-2007, 04:13 PM
I was in Thailand last fall. My advice is to go to Cambodia.

either way it's gonna be hot.

Courtney
05-09-2007, 04:14 PM
I haven't been, but want to. They have some amazing yoga retreats there.

BlueDevil50
05-09-2007, 04:18 PM
i was in the navy and everyone that was on a ship said that australia and thailand are the best places to go! party and live like a rich man cuz the us dollar is waaaaaay more than their currency...if youre a younger male, which you are, i strongly suggest goin! do like BET says and wrap it up though haha

jackstraw94086
05-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Only talk to the tallest hookers.
I hear they've got a special surprise for you.

full on idle
05-09-2007, 04:22 PM
I predict a story about prostitutes, pants, and car hoods coming at us soon.

edit* too slow.

JustSteve
05-09-2007, 04:32 PM
what's the capital of thailand??

codytwo
05-09-2007, 04:34 PM
bangkok.

my hands are firmly placed over my crotch as I press the post button.

DRUNKOFFBREASTMILK
05-09-2007, 04:42 PM
I was in Thailand last fall. My advice is to go to Cambodia.

either way it's gonna be hot.

yes, cambodia is a must.

whynotsmile99
05-09-2007, 04:44 PM
yes, cambodia is a must.

interesting. We were discussing heading to Vietnam or Laos if there was anything there, but decided to stick mostly to Thailand. Whats in Cambodia for those that have been?

SojuGorae
05-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Whats in Cambodia for those that have been?

Cambodian breast milk

whynotsmile99
05-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Cambodian breast milk

oh yes of course. how could i forget. I'm sure thai breast milk isn't bad, but i'd love to try some prime Cambodian shit

gaypalmsprings
05-09-2007, 04:59 PM
high rate of hiv there

TomAz
05-09-2007, 05:02 PM
interesting. We were discussing heading to Vietnam or Laos if there was anything there, but decided to stick mostly to Thailand. Whats in Cambodia for those that have been?

Angkor Wat & surrounding area. You will not regret it. just take a few days, you dont need a huge amount of time. You'll probably want to splurge on airfare from Bangkok to Siem Reap as the highway is pretty unreliable (on the Cambodian side). Or, at least read up and be careful before taking the bus, scams abound.

When I was in Thailand I just went to Bangkok and Ayuttaya. of course the beach resorts (Phuket etc) are world famous and Chiang Mai is also supposed to be wonderful.

d_apathy
05-09-2007, 05:05 PM
cambodia is very dirty

CuervoPH
05-09-2007, 05:23 PM
A friend and I are thinking of heading to Thailand in 2008 over Christmas (with a night or two in Bangkok and a few days at one of the beaches at Phuket). We would have planned for Christmas 2007, but don't have the finances. Airfare to get there would be more than the cost of lodging, meals, etc. while we are there.

Let me know if you get any other good Thailand travel tips. I have the Lonely Planet Thailand guide but will be supplementing that with other guides and my own research between now and our trip.

PotVsKtl
05-09-2007, 05:49 PM
http://www.markallencam.com/JohnMarkKarr.jpg

Mr.Nipples
05-09-2007, 07:50 PM
cant touch this...

keriann
05-09-2007, 07:58 PM
http://www.markallencam.com/JohnMarkKarr.jpg
that just made me laugh so hard I almost cried

Mabdul Doobakus
05-09-2007, 08:38 PM
I've done like 3 days in Bangkok and 3 days on some beach whose name I have written down somewhere.

It was all a ton of fun. Bangkok is about as crazy you would want a place to be before it starts getting too crazy and you feel like hiding. Worst traffic ever, and everyone seems to be trying to rip you off, but it's easy to forget all that. There's so much to see and do, and so much great food. You're definitely going to want to get out to one of the beaches after 3 days, though.

Wheres the beef?
05-09-2007, 09:42 PM
I've done like 3 days in Bangkok and 3 days on some beach whose name I have written down somewhere.

It was all a ton of fun. Bangkok is about as crazy you would want a place to be before it starts getting too crazy and you feel like hiding. Worst traffic ever, and everyone seems to be trying to rip you off, but it's easy to forget all that. There's so much to see and do, and so much great food. You're definitely going to want to get out to one of the beaches after 3 days, though.

Sounds like Vegas sans the beach.

Jenniehoo
05-09-2007, 09:47 PM
I love Captain Breastmilk.

full on idle
05-09-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm not an authority, but I'll venture that Captain Breastmilk loves you back, little lady.

Jenniehoo
05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I smell alias revealed drunkenly...

Boourns
05-09-2007, 09:55 PM

Mountains made of skulls.

luckyface
05-09-2007, 10:05 PM
A couple of friends had the time of their lives in Thailand, but they were accosted at all turns by the ladyboys. So watch out and stuff. And if you must release, make sure the person has a real vagina.

ricoswuave
05-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Was there in 1994.

Ko San Road in Bangkok is where all the backpackers go to get sleep, eat and get information.
Chang Mai- trecking through the northern mountains.
Koh Phag-nan - island that has the Full Moon Party.....a rave on the beach.
Bangkok- hot and dirty.... great food.....fun clubs (many have closed).

Be careful buying drugs from locals, they (locals) run a scam where they'll sell you some junk, call the police, you go to jail, you have to ask dad for $$$$$ to get you out of jail.

And to reinforce what was previously mentioned; that hot chick you meet at the bar.... may not be a chick.

Have fun

Mr.Nipples
05-09-2007, 11:23 PM
yeah i wouldnt advise doing any drugs in thailand...

XgivemewingsX
05-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Smoke Opium once. Its like going to Mexico and having a Mojito or a Margarita

chrislasf
05-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Yeah except when you get caught you get penis in your ass.

wmgaretjax
05-09-2007, 11:55 PM
angkor wat for sure if you decide to go to cambodia...

check out chiang mai in thailand.

you might as well hop over to malaysia or indonesia (lombok, bandung, and makasar are very cool) as well...

djoz187
05-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Thailand seems awesome, I was thinking about doing this volunteer thing through my school in Thailand...

whynotsmile99
09-21-2007, 02:40 PM
thanks for the tips.

I leave for Singapore October 16. I'm doing an Intrepid tour (anyone use them?) for 15 days. Starts in Singapore, makes its way up though Malyasia, and ends in Bangkok, where I'm meeting a friend.

We'll have a month a half to do Thailand and the other countries. Laos and Cambodia we will certainly do. We'd love to go to Vietnam as well, but their visa situation seems to be a bit of a bitch. I've also heard Burma is quite a place to see, but not sure if we will make it there. Probably not the best to support that government, plus I heard it's tough to get around.

getting into vietnam/Burma? Any experiences?

whynotsmile99
10-11-2007, 12:00 AM
ok, one more Question for those that have gone:

getting ready for my flight this Tuesday.

Still debating one big thing:

to bring my Nikon D50 or not.

Pros: Great photos, practice my camera skills, covered by basic travel insurance up to $500 bucks.

Cons: It's an SLR so its big and bulky. I got a small 50mm lens on it so thats not that bad, but I don't know if I want to schlep it everywhere. I"m also a bit worried about the humidity and theft.

I really don't know what I should do. I was thinking of getting a cheaper P&S digital from Best buy for $100 bucks, but i really like my D-50.

I dunno.

DeltaSigChi4
10-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Cambodian breast milk

WHERE IS THIS GUY>!?!?! :(

E

DeltaSigChi4
10-11-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm doing an Intrepid tour (anyone use them?)

Post a link.

E

All That I Am
10-11-2007, 12:06 AM
http://www.lastampa.it/redazione/cmssezioni/cronache/200608images/Karr.jpg

xleslie
10-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Bring your SLR. When i went to Europe i took both my SLR & my point and shoot and i ended up using the SLR the majority of the time, the pictures came out a lot better.

instinct
10-11-2007, 01:26 AM
One of my good friends moved to Thailand and he lived there for about 2 years.. He's always telling Thailand hooker stories. I'll get him to post on this board in this thread, he is the Thailand Guru (for an American).

Check out his music myspace!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=81078489

orbit
10-11-2007, 01:57 AM
Bring your SLR. When i went to Europe i took both my SLR & my point and shoot and i ended up using the SLR the majority of the time, the pictures came out a lot better.

Yeah, but depends. If you stay in hotels, and you are not backpacking, there is not much problem bringing a SLR. But if you are backpacking and staying in hostels, I don't know if it's convenient.

I've backpacked over South America many times, and I wouldn't suggest to take a SLR with you, especially if you are taking the inka trail in Peru. However, I would take my SLR to a backpacking trip around Guadalajara, Mexico. It's an easier route.

I've never been in Thailand and the other places you plan to go, though. Humidity shouldn't be a problem for your camera since I assume you will only take pictures occasionally, and not all the time. Just be careful when taking your camera from cold to hot/humid air. That condensation could kill your camera sensors. You'll be able to take good pics with your SLR, but if your backpacking route is harsh, and weight is something important to you, I would suggest a P&O with macro lens instead.

whynotsmile99
10-11-2007, 11:15 AM
One of my good friends moved to Thailand and he lived there for about 2 years.. He's always telling Thailand hooker stories. I'll get him to post on this board in this thread, he is the Thailand Guru (for an American).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=81078489

thanks everyone for the advice. I think i'm going to bring it. I love having my camera around and know i would regret it if I didn't. Though we are backpacking, everything is so cheap around there we are planing on staying in hotel like inns. My friend an I are splitting a place in Bangkok, 2 twin beds, own bathroom 10 bucks a piece a night. Hopefully the hotels will have good safes I can keep the camera in when I don't want to go out with it.

Instinct, i like your friends music. If he doesn't want to post here give me his e-mail or tell him to send me a PM or e-mail. would love to ask some questions to someone that really will know the country. Thanks!

my e-mail is Jdrubin@gmail.com

Jackmaster Tyree D.
10-11-2007, 07:56 PM

SHIT. that's me. cliff notes:

-student in Thailand fall 99-early 2000
-tourist turned teacher June 2004-April 2006 (Thaksin era)
-I can now speak and read the language. ไทรีรักไทย

backpackers:
hate them. going around with their big ass backpacks bumping into people with the Lonely Planet in hand. I liked to fuck with them since I could make them trust me. I did learn how to guest house hop with them and stayed with some so they could only spend $1 a day on rent.

transvestites:
If you don't show a reaction with them near, they won't fuck with you. Yes, they do have a significant amount. I never got fooled but saw a few guys get fooled. Stories to cum later.

hookers:
love them. tell more later. You would never know it's actually illegal. Inerracial relationships are encouraged. $$$$

HIV:
never saw it or got it. The 2003 census says 1.5% of the whole country has it. USA is 0.7%

Mark Carr:
That happened after I left. The country is hardcore on screening teachers now. Never really saw underage hookers. The cops are already hard on it. The girls will now tell you they are 20. Be careful when they say 20.

Full Moon Party:
Hate it! Old white men with 18 year old Isaan girls and transvestites on ecstasy. Drunk Europeans. Bleeding sound systems. Trainwrecking by Europeans that showed up with records and got a gig. People with bad trips. Narcs!!!! Narcs of every race!!!!! Guys that got busted and have to sting somebody else out. Sex in the water. I have a feeling it was the place to be 15 years ago. It got too commercial and poluted.

Drugs:
DON'T DO THEM!!! The guy who says they will sell then bust you is right. Stick with the women.

breastmilk:
could've had some but dropped out at the last minute. My gf could lactate when her period came. I can't believe I didn't get turned on.

peace

whynotsmile99
10-11-2007, 09:34 PM
thanks for the advice man! Sucks to hear about that Full Moon Party. My other friend said not to go. Looked like such a good time. Ah well, i'll save the raving for Coachella.

I hate to say it, but we will be those backpackers with the lonely planet guides. That said, I'm going with a good friend. We have both traveled extensively before and we be incredibly respectful to the country and won't act like the stupid Western tourists kids that everyone hates.

I'm doing that tour from Singapore-Malyasia-Thailand then meeting my friend in Bangkok. We got a pretty nice place on Koa San Road for a few nights. After that we are planning on booking it up north to Chang Mai and from there will most likely head into Laos/Cambodia and hopefully Vietnam.

A few things:

Any cities/villages between Chang Mai and Bangkok would you suggest visiting? I think we are taking the train from Bangkok up north.

What beaches when we inevitably head south? I heard Puket is over-rated, but Krabi is beautiful.

How is the Loy Kratong Festival and where is the best place to see the festivities? Are there any planned festivities for the King's 80th birthday?

How will the weather/crowds be in Early Nov-Dec. I know it's the high season, but how bad does it get? I know the weather is a lot better but I assume it's still damn hot in the day?

I think I'll pass on the prostitutes and stick with drunk Aussie girls. Drugs i'm certainly staying away from there.

Anything else you can suggest I'd love to hear it man. Thanks!

oh yea, hows the airfare situation? We are cool with trains, but to save time a few plane rides here and there might help a lot. Of course my parents are worried about the budget airlines due to the recent crash...

xbnmx
10-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Yeah except when you get caught you get penis in your ass.

Cultural lessons by Chris.

artgutser
10-12-2007, 10:06 AM
oh yea, hows the airfare situation? We are cool with trains, but to save time a few plane rides here and there might help a lot. Of course my parents are worried about the budget airlines due to the recent crash...

I went in 2004 with my brother and we bought the Discovery Airpass from Bangkok Airways which was a pretty good deal. You can also use the Airpass to go to Siem Riep (Cambodia) which is a must. http://www.bangkokair.com/discoveryairpass/

A few tips:

-Go to a Thai boxing match
-Go to a ****-pong Show
-Go to Krabi
-Go to Chang Mai
-Go to Koh pha ngan: The Full Moon Party is over rated but the island itself is pretty nice to rest for a couple of days and party at night. We had more fun in the parties before the Full Moon Party than on the FMP itself. Still if you want to check it out, go.
-Like everybody else says DON’T DO DRUGS
-Some of the best food you’ll ever eat is in Thailand, don’t be afraid to try new things
-Take a train somewhere.
-Again YOU HAVE TO GO TO ANGKOR WAT IN CAMBODIA

Well have a good trip and enjoy what is going to be one of the best times of your life.

instinct
10-16-2007, 02:33 AM
I'm going going.. back back.. to THAILAND!

bug on your lip
10-17-2007, 09:28 AM
a what pong show ?

TomAz
10-17-2007, 09:30 AM
I think you know.

J~$$$
10-17-2007, 09:41 AM
p i n g

bug on your lip
10-17-2007, 09:45 AM
acronym?

whynotsmile99
10-28-2007, 07:58 AM
so far i'm very glad I've brought my SLR. Already took nearly 400 photos.

For those interested, here is my e-mails i've been sending to friends from my travel. I"m in Penang, Malaysia right now having a grand old time. Tired as hell, but seeing a ton. I can't believe I've only been gone a week. And Singapore, while I was ready to leave after 4 days, was a wonderful city. Bar hopping Clarke Quaye was so much fun.

Singapore:

Hi everyone. Made it to Singapore safe and sound yesterday. If anyone is flying to Asia in the future, Cathay Pacific is the way to go. Between the comfy seats, movies, episodes of South Park &Simpsons & Ali G Show, as well as some hilarious British sketch comedy show that had way to much full frontal male nudity (which made me rather uncomfortable considering I was sitting next to a 4 year old) and the incredibly cute flight attendants it was a fast and fun 20 hour voyage.

The culture shock that smacked me upside the face when I got out of the airport is gone now, and I've really gotten to enjoy Singapore. A mix of West and East culture, Singapore is unique mix of India, China, Pakistan, Malaysia, England and Beverly Hills all rolled into a small tropical island. The streets are incredibly clean, people are very friendly, food is AMAZING.

My hostel is in Little India, and it really does feel like India. Take away the 7-11 next door and you are in India. Street merchants sell food, cds and books and a truly awesome bazaar is right down the street. Despite the segregation (Singapore is divided into Little India, Little China and a Muslium section) everything seems to mix together. A few blocks from my hostel is a Buddhist temple, which is across the street from a Mosque. Indian food stalls on one side, Thai massage on the other. The mix is dizzying. I've spent 5 hours walking through Singapore today and feel like I've been to 5 different countries.

Western influences are all over the place. I've yet to meet an American, but there's quite a few Europeans. Indian and Muslim women in their traditional wardrobes texting on a subway. Oprah's giant face on the side of a bus. Shitty pop music on buses. Overpriced souvenir junk at the zoo. Sky scrappers withs bizarre architecture. Bob Marley is heard in the streets, etc. You feel like you are in a different country, yet you feel at home at the same time.

I did a night safari last night with a friend I made at my hostel. Hands down one of the most interesting and well put together zoo exhibits I've been to. Animals at night > animals in the day.

I would love to check out Singapore's night life (the largest Ministry of Sound club in the world is here!) but this place is pretty darn expensive, ridiculous if you want to drink. It's about as costly as it would be to be a tourist in America, so far from cheap that other countries in South East Asia are known for.

I have two more days in Singapore before I start my tour and head up the coast into Malaysia.

and Malyasia:

So I've spent the last week making my way up through Malaysia and am currently sitting in a little cafe on the Island of Penang. Malaysia, much like Singapore is a melting pot of cultures and food. You can be in the jungles one minute, only to be in the nicest shopping mall you've ever seen the next. If I hear any more Kelly Clarkson, Celine Dion or Black Eyed Peas on any more buses or taxis I'm going to scream.

My tour group started on Melaka, a small town noted for being controlled by the Dutch, English and Portuguese at various different times. Dutch windmills sit next to Buddhist temples, large churches and mosques are nearby. We get around by rickshaws, basically a bike with driver who pulls a little cart around that can fit two people. Penang, where I am currently, is very much like Melaka, though set in a more rain forest atmosphere. A temple we visited today was actually a Thai Temple, Burmese Temple and Chinese Temple all rolled into one big house of Buddha. The Hindu and Chinese temples and mosques throughout all of Malaysia are stunning, each one more unique and beautiful than the next. Malaysia is a mostly Islamic country, though you wouldn't quite know it depending on where you are.

We made our way to the capital city of Kuala Lumpur, a stinky, noisy, overly crowded metropolitan jungle of buildings. The Chinese section where we are staying is swamped with stands selling second hand junk. Despite the initial chos of Kuala Lumpur, you actually start to see it as a prettey fun place to be. For two days at least. We visit the two tallest twin buildings in the world, the Kula LumpurTowers, where on the ground floor is a beautiful shopping mall with every single top end store you can think of. Everything is very cheap compared to the US but I'm holding off buying anything till we get to the even cheaper Bangkok.

If you are ever in Kuala Lumpur, you have to visit the Batu Caves, just outside the city. 100 years ago a Hindu Temple was built 300 steep steps above in a huge gapping cavern. Walking up the steps is well worth it. Thousands of monkeys live in cave and run out to great you. It's quite breathtaking.

A 5 hour journey from Kuala Lumpur, and we arrive at a guest house only reachable by a 15 minute boat trip. The family lives here and rents out cabins to travelers. This hideaway is a true Malaysian experience. Besides the excellent Malay home cooking, we swim and kayak in the river and go on a waterfall jungle trek, filled with everything you would want in a jungle experience: monkeys, gibbons, leeches, warm waterfalls, crazy plants, rubber trees, water buffalo. The little village also gets visited by elephants and tigers on occasion, though we didn't see any this time.

Everything is cheap here which is always nice. I haven't spent more than 4 dollars on any meal. Right now I'm writing this e-mail, drinking a wonderful Tiger beer and waiting for my laundry to be done, all of which most likely won't cost me more than $3. A saturday night movie at a new complex will run you a whopping $2.50

From the island of Penang we head to the resort island of Ko Samui, Thailand, for 3 days of scuba diving, relaxing, Thai massage and partying up Halloween night (My European/Australian travel companions have never celebrated it before so they are in for a treat. I still need a costume) After this it's on to Bangkok where my real adventure begins.

Congrats to everyone graduating this week. I'm toasting to you on the other side of the world.

Cheers,

When I get home I'll share a great picture of myself holding a Burmese Python at a snake temple wearing my Coachella 06 shirt.

TomAz
10-28-2007, 08:17 AM
great stories. I agree with your take on KL.

I'm sure you've heard this already, but be cautious in southern thailand near the malaysian border, there are separatist guerillas operating there.

Courtney
10-28-2007, 11:04 AM
I kind of liked Kuala Lumpur. It probably helps if you're visiting people who live there. And the Indian influence on traditional south east asian cuisine? My god that's good.

But those cave monkeys freaked me out.

TomAz
10-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Malaysian food is great, no doubt.

Also I met Pico Iyer when I was in KL. that was kinda cool.

whynotsmile99
11-18-2007, 02:17 AM
Heres my Thai trip. Im currently in Louang Probang,Laos, which is a wonderful country. We spent 2 days on a boat down the Mekong River. Tommorow begins our drunken tubing in Vien Veng!

After a rather bummer three days of rain on the Thai island of Ko Samui, I finally make it to Bangkok. Bangkok is quite the city. Fun for a few days before you want to get the hell out of there. The streets reek of exhaust fums, the smog chokes you everywhere you walk and traffic might actually be worse than LA. To say you get pestered in Bangkok is an understatement. Everywhere a firang (tourist) turns you are instantly asked if you want a tuk tuk ride, suit, cab, food, or **** pong show (look it up). It quickly turns tiresome. Especially the tailors who line the street waiting to make you a cheap Armani knock off suit. If I never see a tailor again in my life it will be to soon.

But Bangkok has its charms. The famous palaces, temples and Buddha statues are gigantic and beautiful. The Thai people are incredibly friendly, very helpful and the Thai women are beautiful. I eat a seafood dinner at a nice restaurant and the bill comes to $5. Then a baby elephant walks down the sidewalk. Only in Bangkok. The floating market was a rather lame tourist trap, but the tiger temple was fun. Where else could you sit around playing with tiger cubs?

I'm glad my group is finished and Joey has arrived. We are staying near Koh San Road, a street of guesthouses and bars catering to every backpacker in Thailand. It's nice sitting in a reggae bar in Thailand and meeting people from all over the world.

After one quick trip to the depths of hell on the infamous Patpong, we book it up north via train to Chaing Mai.

This is more our speed. Chaing Mai is simply wonderful. The place you think about when you think of Thailand. Low key, nice cool weather, even friendlier people. Fresh veggies that are such a nice change from fried everything in Bangkok. We are staying at a great guesthouse that we are sad to leave. Guesthouses are the way to go. A few bucks a night gets you a clean room with shower. The owners are a large family and make fresh Thai food and set up tours for us. Better than any hotel. I could easily stay here for another week.

We do a bit of sight seeing, see more temples, the highest peak in Thailand, visit a local hill tribe, etc and then we do white water rafting through the most gorgeous scenic atmosphere you could hope for, elephants included. I wish I could have brought my camera. A total highlight so far.

whynotsmile99
11-18-2007, 02:18 AM
why the hell would "p-i-n-g" get edited out?

TomAz
11-18-2007, 05:28 AM
But Bangkok has its charms. The famous palaces, temples and Buddha statues are gigantic and beautiful. The Thai people are incredibly friendly, very helpful and the Thai women are beautiful. I eat a seafood dinner at a nice restaurant and the bill comes to $5. Then a baby elephant walks down the sidewalk. Only in Bangkok. The floating market was a rather lame tourist trap, but the tiger temple was fun. Where else could you sit around playing with tiger cubs?

great description. you left out "incredibly hot and muggy like you wouldn't believe". also did you take a water taxi or anything up and down the river? that's a cool way to see the city.

the floating market really is a tourist trap, except you have to see it anyway cuz it's pretty cool to see. when I went there we went in some back route and spent about 30 mins on canal boats getting there. seeing the Thai houses on the canals was the highlight of my trip there, it was like I was seeing the 'real' Thailand not the touristy stuff.

ciaoq
11-18-2007, 07:37 AM
angkor wat is amazing. laos is cool too. my favourite place in thailand was ko tao, or else bangkok. its a great part of the world

whynotsmile99
11-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Well we have made it to Vietnam, relatively safe and sound. Flying into the communist capital of Northern Vietnam after a week and a half of relaxing Laos was the equivalent of taking a sledgehammer blow to face. Hanoi, without a doubt is the craziest place I have ever been to in my life. Crossing the street is akin to committing suicide, soldiers smoke opium pipes on the street, taxi drivers piss on the sidewalk, people burn trash really anywhere, scammers are everywhere and its totally impossible to find a friggin place to eat breakfast. We spent a day there and fled faster than OJ to the coast of Halong Bay. This is much, much better.

How sad it was to leave Laos. We spent a good week and a half here, hitting up most of "backpacker" areas. I could have stayed another month here easily, and look forward to a return trip where I can hit the supposedly beautiful south. Laos is a truly great country, one where the hassles are minimal and the people come out of their way to help you. After a two day boat ride on the Mekong River from Northern Thailand we arrive in Luang Prabang, an easy going little city with French architecture, beautiful temples and parks,waterfalls, night markets, great restaurants and even some fun clubs, though they all shut off at midnight. Everyone then runs to the bowling alley, the only place to get a beer past midnight. Beer Lao, is a national treasure here. Super cheap and wonderfully tasty. I miss it all ready.

From there we make our way through the curvy mountain passes home to many villagers and end up in Vang Vieng a small town nearly all catering to the needs of backpackers. Vang Vieng is beautiful and most people only stop here for the outdoor recreation. We go caving, swim in blue lagoons and bike ride through little villages. But nothing is greater than river tubing, where you can wash ashore to one of the half dozen little bars on the river, get some beer or anything else that suits your fancy and head back down the river! Back in the town, all the restaurants happily give out their "happy" menu which is quite happy indeed.

We spend only a night in the capital city of Vientaine before flying to Vietnam, but I get to experience some truly great Laos club life. (Women buy men drinks!!!)

Throughout the entire stay in Laos the people is probably what I'll remember most. Everyone is incredibly warm and friendly here, you can walk down the street and not worry about getting hassled about anything. People on motor bikes will drive up to us, ask where we are from, smile and say " I have relatives in California too!" and drive off. It's just that kind of place. The monks that walk the street are quick to give smiles and seem to really enjoy talking to foreigners. Their bright orange robes dot the country like flowers, and the peaceful, friendly vibe they give off seems to wash off on everyone in Laos, not to mention the rest of southeast Asia. I've heard people say Laos is what Thailand was 20 years ago. I can easily picture that, and I hope Laos is able to maintain it's easy going and relaxed atmosphere. It's getting popular on the backpacker list, so get here ASAP!

And now we truly start Vietnam. After a few days island hopping in Halong Bay, we start the long journey south, hitting up a few coastal cities before Saigon and into Cambodia!

Regards,
Justin Timberlake (the only way Lao girls know how to pronounce "Justin"

TomAz
11-26-2007, 08:06 AM
here's a pic of your group flying in to vietnam.

http://data1.blog.de/blog/a/altrove/img/Apocalypse-now_01.jpg

Yablonowitz
11-26-2007, 08:10 AM
This is like a jackstraw/tomaz fantasy thread. Electronic Viagra for both of them.

TomAz
11-26-2007, 08:55 AM
in yablo's mind, an entire region of the world exists only for sexual purposes.

bug on your lip
11-26-2007, 09:20 AM

http://www.mbsheep.ca/pix/sheep_pasture.jpg

TomAz
11-26-2007, 10:00 AM
ahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

Yablonowitz
11-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Jesus, Bug, I popped wood at my desk with my boss in the room.

Yablonowitz
11-26-2007, 10:34 AM

Huh? I'm talking about you and Jack's love for the region of Asia...or at least your familiarity with it. The prostitute jokes are thrown in for giggles.

Also, FOIey told me she recently ran into Jack in SF and he was in a kimono and heading to some Asian craft festival or something. Had the wig and the katana too.

I mean...you gotta call a spade a spade, tom-o.

TomAz
11-26-2007, 10:38 AM
I'd do Jack if he were dressed in a kimono and was wearing a wig.

newt_
12-01-2007, 10:02 AM
http://www.kcsprinkles.com/images/413.jpg

gaypalmsprings
12-01-2007, 10:23 AM
http://media.phillyburbs.com/2006/08/20/THAILAND_JONBENNET_R2.jpg