PDA

View Full Version : My pen?

msklvr
05-07-2007, 09:03 AM
Why did the bag checkers have to take my pen?

I walked right in with it on Friday, but Saturday, the bag checker guy said, "You can't bring this in there". I said, "You can't write?" and he said, "No". WTF is up wit dat! What, am I going to shank someone in the neck with a pen?

And, yes, I checked the Rules/FAQ and it says nothing of this rule.

Someone break it down for me.

fatbastard
05-07-2007, 11:18 AM
http://www.yementimes.com/01/iss05/images/fron_pengun.jpg

fatbastard
05-07-2007, 11:18 AM
http://www.woocha.com/mall/undergroundswords/pen%20knife.jpg

sonofhal
05-07-2007, 11:21 AM
I had a pad, a pen, a grenade and a machete. (OK, last 2 possibly made up)Nobody seemed to care - The guy on Friday got me to empty my pockets, and then didn't even search my bag.

fatbastard
05-07-2007, 11:28 AM
I was short of being given a body cavity search while Mrs. Fatbastard walked in with enough pharmaceuticals to kill an elephant, several pens, and bottles of water. I don't want to throw the race card but they stopped me (darker than a cup of coffee with cream and sugar) and not her (uncooked foster farms chicken). I brought a pen specifically for the Air signing. They threw it away right in front of me.

denies the day
05-07-2007, 11:38 AM
They have jacked my fav blue bics every year. I guess it's okay since it distracts them from other (ahem) contraband.

The first day (after 2.5 hours in Will Call :poo x 1000) this mexican guy was checking bags and jokingly asking if I had any guns, knives, or hyrdoponics with me. I laughed out loud. He saw my "water" bottle in my bag and just said the pens weren't allowed. Swipe!

Fair trade, I guess...

MarkO
05-07-2007, 11:46 AM
I walked in with two pens and a friggin' Maglite in plain view in my backpack. No worries. I got quizzed about my camera on Friday though.

amyzzz
05-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I think they've always had the pen rule. We sneaked in sharpies both this year and last year though. I actually used them to write on my beach balls this year.

cellophane_star
05-08-2007, 08:01 AM
I was surprised too. They didn't say anything about it on Friday but the people at the VIP/camping lineup on Saturday were insane and they took it.

marooko
05-08-2007, 12:05 PM
http://www.yementimes.com/01/iss05/images/fron_pengun.jpg

mmmmmm whiskey sour.

wisconsinboozer
05-08-2007, 12:19 PM
when they took my pencil they asked if i rather bring it to my car, 30 cents just wasnt worth missing an hour

FakePlasticMe
05-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Thank god I'm a freelance writer and had a business card with me, I had to fight them every day over it until they finally let me have it. Very annoying, and yes, it happens every year.

Boourns
05-08-2007, 01:35 PM
They don't want you writing on the...um, hmm, grass?

amyzzz
05-08-2007, 02:55 PM
All I can think of is the famous people/musicians don't want to be accosted to sign autographs? I can't possibly think of a sharpie as a weapon. Anyone know of someone being killed with a sharpie??

Courtney
05-08-2007, 03:00 PM
I was short of being given a body cavity search while Mrs. Fatbastard walked in with enough pharmaceuticals to kill an elephant, several pens, and bottles of water. I don't want to throw the race card but they stopped me (darker than a cup of coffee with cream and sugar) and not her (uncooked foster farms chicken).

From personal experience, I suspect that perhaps gender has something to do with it too. But maybe it's just luck of the draw. Hard to determine when the only evidence you have is a few anecdotes.

T-Rye
05-08-2007, 06:35 PM
My pen was in the bottom of my bag the whole weekend. I have it in my hand right now. I wasn't even aware this was an issue...

gaypalmsprings
05-08-2007, 06:41 PM
http://www.rkdm.com/uvspypen/uvspypen.jpg

The guy asked me if that was a pen in my pocket, & I said no, I was happy to see him. After a complete cavity search, he let me in.

dontfeedthebird
05-08-2007, 07:06 PM
I actually put my sharpie in my shoe. Which was ridiculous because AIR had their pretty silver and black ones.

goodgrl
10-29-2007, 09:26 PM
I just ran across this thread and realized I have never had a problem.
One year I had a bottle of asprin and the guy asked what it was for I explained I was afraid of getting a headache because of the sun- he let me go through.

I think that there is a bit of a bias- I do have to admit though that whenever I get in line for anything (airport/concert)I scope out who would give me less of hassle. Preferably a younger guy of the ethnic persuasion.Never a female.

heyimazombie
11-08-2007, 12:02 PM
i really think it's luck of the draw, going into the campsite the girl searching bags asked me if i had anything illegal and i said no and then she just laughed, winked, and didnt even search anything.

psychic friend
11-08-2007, 12:06 PM
ya one time i was speeding, like i frequently do on the freeway and this cop pulled me over and told me to slow down but didnt give me a ticket. then another time i got pulled over and the cop gave me a ticket and im like what the fuck, thats not fair, i didnt get a ticket last time and I hardly ever get pulled over when im speeding. its so unfair.

McFearless
11-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Pens I understand.

I bought records from the virgin store onsite and I took it in the next day to get it signed and they wouldnt let me bring it in. They wanted me to trash them. I argued for about 3 minutes and then I just walked away and let them think I was going to put it in the car. Then I walked into another line where there was this nice lady wearing a yellow shirt (not the blue asshole ones!) and walked in!