PDA

View Full Version : Recycling water bottles

HavingAnAverageWeekend
05-06-2007, 06:06 PM
To whom it may concern,

I would like to say that the recycling of the 10 empty bottles for a full bottle of water was a really great idea and I hope to see it again next year. I myself along with my friend recycled as many bottles as we needed for all the water we needed for the weekend.
Please help this message get to the right people so we can see this program next year. Also could anyone please provide me with the contacts of public relations for the Coachella festival and any organizers who make decisions concerning matters like this.

Sincerely
M. Collier

wisconsinboozer
05-06-2007, 06:54 PM
i tried it out at the end of the night and the line was as long as could and i didnt want to waste a headlining set by getting a 2 dollar water for free but it was a great idea

boarderwoozel3
05-06-2007, 06:57 PM
It was a good idea and it also put a smile on my face from time to time seeing someone walking around with a armful of empty water bottles. I don't know why but it was very amusing.

elChurro
05-06-2007, 08:55 PM
someone made a killing turning all them bottles in.

MarkO
05-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I felt I was surrounded by hobos all w/end. It was pretty sad to be honest considering I never waited more than 2 mins for the free water faucets.

beautiful nemesis
05-06-2007, 10:19 PM
I felt I was surrounded by hobos all w/end. It was pretty sad to be honest considering I never waited more than 2 mins for the free water faucets.

it was more than just getting free water... it doubled as a bonus of free water for helping picking up the messes the bottles would have created, and for all the people who just kept buying water, that's a shit ton of water bottles that needed to/should be recycled. it was a great idea that seemed to go swimmingly.

Jimmyz
05-07-2007, 07:40 AM
True... The last 7 years were pathetic with how many water bottles were left on the ground at the end of the night. It was great to walk out of there this year without hearing the crunch of plastic every step taken.

Good call Goldenvoice.

msklvr
05-07-2007, 07:54 AM
I was amazed at just how clean things were this year. Great improvements in cleanliness and sanitation this year. No messed up flooding bathrooms this year either.

fatbastard
05-07-2007, 10:21 AM
They also had people walking around during the festival picking up trash.

guatemalo
05-07-2007, 10:38 AM
i also went to the Stagecoach fest (don't ask, tix were free) and this was going too. but some kids were trying to be smart by collecting the bottles and then selling the free one for $1.

capitalism rules.

http://www2.filemobile.com/storage/14165/12

MarkO
05-07-2007, 10:42 AM
it was more than just getting free water... it doubled as a bonus of free water for helping picking up the messes the bottles would have created, and for all the people who just kept buying water, that's a shit ton of water bottles that needed to/should be recycled. it was a great idea that seemed to go swimmingly.

When you pay $250+ for a festival ticket and then spend your time picking up what others throw away, thats sad.

I bitched long & hard in the past about $2 waters but I'd still pay it over turning into Grover.

amyzzz
05-07-2007, 11:33 AM
I never saw a line at the recycling center. I would think they'd have longer lines during the day because of the heat, but I guess
more people at night = longer lines.

I agree that this was an EXCELLENT idea. Next year try fixing Will Call. :thu

scrodpiece
05-07-2007, 11:59 AM
it is nice, but lets not kid ourselves: its still horribly wasteful and unsustainable for each person to get a plastic bottle for every 16oz (or whatever) of water they consume for a weekend in the desert.

if there was a way to encourage people to buy ONE bottle then refill it through the day/weekend that would be ideal. $3 a bottle, and maybe 25 or 50 refills?

algunz
05-07-2007, 12:45 PM
The recycling was a great idea and so easy to do. I'd get thirsty and it would take me a couple minutes to round up 10. A few times people would see me collecting them and hand me theres because they weren't heading that direction. And then when the line got long, I'd just dump the bottles in the recycler and move on to just buy myself a water. But it was soooo much cleaner and I had to buy maybe two bottles the whole weekend. Awesome!!

In 2001 after 9/11, they had NO trash cans out at all. I have NEVER seen so much fucking trash it was nasty.

ThunderInTheSky
05-07-2007, 03:02 PM
The recycling was a great idea and so easy to do. I'd get thirsty and it would take me a couple minutes to round up 10. A few times people would see me collecting them and hand me theres because they weren't heading that direction. And then when the line got long, I'd just dump the bottles in the recycler and move on to just buy myself a water. But it was soooo much cleaner and I had to buy maybe two bottles the whole weekend. Awesome!!

In 2001 after 9/11, they had NO trash cans out at all. I have NEVER seen so much fucking trash it was nasty.

you mean in 2002?

Encaitare
05-07-2007, 03:08 PM
I agree that this was the greatest idea ever, the polo fields were inconceivably cleaner than last year, and I didn't feel pissed off at humanity at the end of each night for the disaster mess I was kicking my way through. And the people working the recycling booth were always nice and rounded up on the number of bottles I turned in. Now if only we could have done something about all the frozen lemonade cups and other trash laying around.

johnm1848
05-07-2007, 08:33 PM
I bought three cases of water bottles for myself and my two friends I was camping with. We took up two campsites so we could have shade under our canopy in the day and move the tents for more room to the other site. Then in the night we would put the tents under the shade so we could sleep in later and not be awoken by the heat. This was great. Also the bottle recycling worked out well because I could just toss the bottles aside and someone would pick them up leaving our camping area clean and with less to pack out at the end. Good idea. You crazy hippies picking up my trash made me chuckle all weekend.

FromTheColonyOfBirchmen
05-07-2007, 09:40 PM
I turned in 120 bottles the entire weekend. Kick ass idea, everyone needs to establish recycling programs. I love recycling.

barrett90
05-07-2007, 11:11 PM

landa321
05-08-2007, 07:36 PM

it wasn't about saving $2... it was about recycling and keeping the place clean you dirtbag.

psychic friend
05-08-2007, 07:47 PM
it was about recycling and keeping the place clean

yes that was actually the main purpose. and it worked really well. thanks to you guys.

this should be the goal despite getting free water. everyone should recycle.

barrett90
05-08-2007, 08:09 PM

algunz
05-09-2007, 08:14 AM
So, your point is - don't recycle? And how does it take more energy? You are going to have to use energy either way. I'm just intrigued and curious. I haven't heard this argument before about recycling. Please educate me.

barrett90
05-09-2007, 01:40 PM

SFChrissy
05-09-2007, 01:47 PM
It was a great idea and great seeing how many people participated...I recycled my bottles in the appropriate recycling containers but left the free waters for someone who needed them...and giving my empties to kids with a bag in tow...

McFearless
05-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I thought the idea was excellent. I did it a few times over the three days. People would see me collecting bottles and just hand me theres. I felt like a bum but whatever. On sunday I lost my friend who had my cash and though I was going to die if I didn't get a bottle of water before Junior Boys hit the stage since I was waiting for CSS to come on. So I just collected ten rather quickly and got a free one.

The only complaint is that could you please make sure you guys privide COLD water. I went to two different stations at various parts of the day and it was always water that was not in ice.

wisconsinboozer
05-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Im all up for it to those who want to do it but after spending almost 300 bucks on a three day theres no way im gonna pick up bottles just to HELP the cleaning crew. If I do it it's for my own pleasure of getting a free water. Can't blame those who do it to help though...

amyzzz
05-09-2007, 03:05 PM
I agree about the tepid water. Thumbs down on that.

billtino
05-09-2007, 03:35 PM
this was an excellent idea. i do have one complaint about it. while some people were legitimately picking up random bottles left behind by people like me, I did see some lazy ass hats taking the large trash bags full of empty bottles, inside the "recycle bins" spread out about the venue & turning them in for free water bottles. i know this is illegal to do in many cities that have citywide scheduled recycling pickups. there will always be those who try to rape the system unfortunately. :(

mountmccabe
05-09-2007, 05:33 PM
it actually uses more energy to recycle something then it does to make a new one, which means it is bad for the environment and not economically feasible.

Raw materials. Waste materials. Your equation is lacking.

Plus "something" is far too little information. Is this supposed to be true for any and all things one might think to recycle?

MarkO
05-10-2007, 04:48 PM
it wasn't about saving $2... it was about recycling and keeping the place clean you dirtbag.

How about a nice mug of STFU. I threw my bottles in the recycle bins that were ALL OVER the site. If hobo's like you want to dig thru the detritus of 55,000 people, more power to you. I'll be listening to a band play.

johnm1848
05-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Raw materials. Waste materials. Your equation is lacking.

Plus "something" is far too little information. Is this supposed to be true for any and all things one might think to recycle?

It actually is based in fact. The amount of energy consumed to collect, transport, process, and refine a used product is greater than the amount needed to create something from raw materials. In order for the equation to work you need to be factoring in everything from the fuel the recycling trucks burn to the roads built out to the plants and even the building of the plants themselves. It's not true in all cases however. If the infrastructure to recycle has been in place for decades and the distance to the plant is close to where the material is collected then it is more efficient. More often than not recycling is just a clever way to make a ton of money of garbage. There are also extremes to both sides. Aluminum cans for example, regardless of the processing plant, always make sense to recycle because you are mining otherwise. Wheras paper is the worst thing to recycle because the chemicals involved in bleaching out the dyes and re-processing are really damaging to the water systems the end up; and yes this takes into account logging.

JClemy
05-13-2007, 01:29 PM
If people want to mess with the system and take the recycling in then go for it. They will save time for the cleaning people that way and they can clean up the rest of the grounds for us. Everyone can benefit. They needed more garbage cans with the recycling though too.

this was an excellent idea. i do have one complaint about it. while some people were legitimately picking up random bottles left behind by people like me, I did see some lazy ass hats taking the large trash bags full of empty bottles, inside the "recycle bins" spread out about the venue & turning them in for free water bottles. i know this is illegal to do in many cities that have citywide scheduled recycling pickups. there will always be those who try to rape the system unfortunately. :(