PDA

View Full Version : ? for GV re: Locals

Rajah
05-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Has GV considered offering discounted passes/VIP access to locals?

dontfeedthebird
05-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Eh, we give the locals jobs. Good enough.

GTI_GRL
05-02-2007, 08:40 PM
yep, and a few locals said they enjoyed staying at home and listening to the music.

GTI_GRL
05-02-2007, 08:41 PM
Eh, we give the locals jobs. Good enough.

$35 million goes into the community

Rajah
05-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Hotel bed taxes go to the city, grocery and gas stations/convenience stores rake it in, obvi, but there are lots of poor kids living in Indio and Coachella and other parts south that can't afford to go....any thoughts GV?

dontfeedthebird
05-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm tired of hearing about people that can't afford to go. All it takes is a little planning. I worked my ass off for this Cry Me a River Locals.

Courtney
05-02-2007, 09:07 PM
There was actually was actually some mention of tickets especially for locals in an article (http://www.thedesertsun.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070413/EVENTS17/704130353/1140/yourtown05) recently, but it came down to a problem of logistics and the question of how to distribute tickets to locals without them all just being scalped.

Coachella Promoters: Tickets on sale for residents

Bruce Fessier
The Desert Sun
April 13, 2007

The promoters of the sold-out Coachella festival just found a few more tickets to sell.

The Los Angeles-based Goldenvoice company will put an undisclosed number of three-day passes to the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival for sale through Ticketmaster.com starting at noon today.

A Goldenvoice publicist told The Desert Sun exclusively that no more tickets will be made available at the gate on the days of the festival April 28-30 at the Empire Polo Club in Indio. In fact, festivalgoers will have to show their tickets just to get in the parking lots.

Tickets are $249 plus a $3 charity contribution and service fees. No single-day tickets are available.

Goldenvoice co-founder Paul Tollett said the extra tickets were announced first in the Coachella Valley because of concern that local residents were surprised by how quick the single-day tickets sold out.

The days featuring Rage Against the Machine on April 30 and Red Hot Chili Peppers on April 29 sold out within two weeks of their announcement in January.

Tollett said more than a week ago he wanted to make additional tickets available to the locals, but he couldn't figure out how to prevent them from landing in the hands of scalpers.

"I want to come up with a plan where it's people from out there who get them," Tollett said at the time. "We have some on hold, we just haven't decided how to do it yet."

Goldenvoice is expecting daily attendance about the same as last year, meaning about 180,000 people are expected at the festival.

GTI_GRL
05-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Easy fix, must be bought day of and show id with address in Coachella Valley. Once bought, have a search station right next to booth and local must enter right away. Any "local" tickets left at 3pm will be made available to everyone else. Set 1,000 tickets aside, maybe have them at $50 a day. Locals that really want to go will buy the regular tickets when they go on sale, those that are poor/cheap will wait in the sun/heat the day of.

The tickets are only $250, and it's not like the have to pay for a hotel/camping, travel (gas/flight/bus/etc..), etc...... All locals need is $250 and food money.

Courtney
05-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Easy fix, must be bought day of and show id with address in Coachella Valley. Once bought, have a search station right next to booth and local must enter right away. Any "local" tickets left at 3pm will be made available to everyone else. Set 1,000 tickets aside, maybe have them at $50 a day. Locals that really want to go will buy the regular tickets when they go on sale, those that are poor/cheap will wait in the sun/heat the day of.

Maybe. Although that sounds like a plan which might cause additional congestion near the Will Call area -- the last thing needed.

GTI_GRL
05-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Maybe. Although that sounds like a plan which might cause additional congestion near the Will Call area -- the last thing needed.

If the line up near the fence it should not be an issue. I dont see why there are not more entrances. Will Call needs to be moved away from the entrance, maybe half way between road and entrance and have balloons showing the letters each booth serves. If possible have the will call go directly into a side entrance to get searched and scanned (they already waited in line).

Adam2uBer
05-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Has GV considered offering discounted passes/VIP access to locals?
I'm assuming you live in Indio and maybe you attend or attended IHS since your name is Rajah.

You should know people, man. I knew about 4 people that could have gotten me in.