PDA

View Full Version : The Coachella Flu ...fact or fiction?

bonesgrrrr
05-02-2007, 07:17 PM
I think there is some sort of pesticide or maybe it the grass itself, but everyone I have talked to that went this year or past years says that after and during Coachella their lungs feel like crap. Maybe it is all the smoke from the cigarettes, agricultural pollution, etc, but I doubt it. Could anybody confirm my suspicions?

Another thought...I am not a germaphobe, but could you imagine the potential to spread diseases that Coachella has? I saw some really sick people that were jumping up and down right next to me and some guy that looked like he had small poxes.

Coachellacitous

dontfeedthebird
05-02-2007, 07:18 PM
I say it's the dust.

FromTheColonyOfBirchmen
05-02-2007, 07:22 PM
It's good to get out sometimes and spread the sickness.

GTI_GRL
05-02-2007, 07:26 PM
I was fine last year, this year my lungs, nose, and throat are still killing me. I think it was the dust/dirt. I come from an agricultural area, I think I am immune to its pollution. Who else is sick?

bonesgrrrr
05-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Maybe it was horsey poop in dust form, it is a polo field.

Boourns
05-02-2007, 07:35 PM
I wonder why they didn't do anything to control the dust situation at camp. Seriously, at night you couldn't even see because there was so much dust in the air. I thought Coachella had to be at that hellish time of year because of the grass. Well, all that grass was dead, and the dust was killer. Infinitely worse than in the previous years.

I'm very sick right now. My sinuses and chest feel like they're going to die any minute. I can't swallow without wincing in agony, and when I cough, it's so painful and long that I usually barf. This morning I coughed up fresh blood. Yum.

alyssak
05-02-2007, 07:35 PM
I don't know what the deal is, but I am so fucking sick now :[

instinct
05-02-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm sick right now too.. and my sinus's were all fucked up at coachella, but they have got messed up other years.. but I think this was the worst.. probably because of it being an extra day, and the grass being completely dead by the third day, which created more dust.

bleep
05-02-2007, 07:41 PM
me too, the very first time in five years of attending this festival! seriously guys, here's hoping we all get better soon.

Courtney
05-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I'm sick-ish with a sore throat too. I assumed it was from a combination of lack of sleep, too much substance use, second-hand smoke, and lots of screaming.

NoneForMeThanks
05-02-2007, 07:44 PM
It didn't hit me or my boyfriend until yesterday afternoon. We're both dying here.

What are people taking medicine-wise?

GTI_GRL
05-02-2007, 07:56 PM
It didn't hit me or my boyfriend until yesterday afternoon. We're both dying here.

What are people taking medicine-wise?

mucinex - break up shit in lungs
saline spray - clear up nose
nyquil - sleep
airborne - boost my immune system
tea with honey to calm my throat

lowfront
05-02-2007, 07:57 PM
sore throat here

Domicelka
05-02-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm very sick. I had to call in sick and stayed in bed. Extremely sore throat, fever, muscle pain, cough etc.
Camping in the desert (dust, heat), lack of sleep and then freezing cold airports/planes add up.

gaypalmsprings
05-02-2007, 08:01 PM
The desert here is notorious for allergies. The dust & dried grass & straw just added to it.

captncrzy
05-02-2007, 08:12 PM
I feel ok, but I have a weird rash all over my arms and feet. The grass, perhaps?

tibu1
05-02-2007, 09:00 PM
I feel ok, but I have a weird rash all over my arms and feet. The grass, perhaps?

OMG!! I have that, too! I have it on my legs, arms and torso. I think I'm either allergic to grass, or there was some weird pesticide sprayed. I'm still tired from the weekend, and a little brain-dead. I normally whip out crossword puzzles in nothing flat, but so far, I'm just staring at my paper everyday, wishing I knew the words...... ;)
My digestive system is totally shot. I hope that we don't see some weird break out from some vegetable served there. There's been so much of that going on in California lately.
Other than that, I'm GREAT!!

firesuite
05-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Completely fucked up my camping experience. I was fine at the festival field, but as soon as I got to the campground, my body went into full defense mode.

I couldn't speak, see, breathe, swallow, or move without agonizing symptoms, all of which were described above. One of the things I looked most forward to about camping (if not THE most forward) was the guaranteed random interactions with other campers.

However, cooping up in the shut tent, wrapping 2 wet bandanas around my nose and mouth, hiding inside a shell fashioned from a comforter, and trying to keep my eyes shut as tight as possible while wearing earplugs to avoid all the SHIT my body was violently rejecting isn't my idea of socializing.

I thought I was the only one that had it that bad. I know it sounds selfish, but this thread makes me feel a little better... just to know I wasn't alone.

So sooo empathetic to those of you with the same problems.

sonofhal
05-02-2007, 11:36 PM
I feel fine, as do the 5 people i came with. I didn't camp, if that makes a difference?

Not Afraid
05-02-2007, 11:44 PM
I was slightly weezing and coughing by the end of the first day - and each day it got progressivly worse. But, it was never horrible. However, I'm now coming down with a cold. I'm making friends with Airborn.

bjorkgudmonstirrur
05-02-2007, 11:50 PM
i have a rash on my knee area and my throat is KILLING ME!

barrett90
05-03-2007, 02:53 AM

lowfront
05-03-2007, 04:08 AM
My throat keeps on getting worse and worse

unknown
05-03-2007, 04:31 AM
Today is sick day number 2 for me :(

My allergies were KILLING me @Coachella but I took sudafed/clariton/benadryl. It wasn't until after I got off work on Tuesday that I began to feel like complete shit. Yesterday, forget about it! I was in bed all day with a sore throat/body ache/fever/chill thing going on.

Think it was the dust and lack of recovery time...

alyssak
05-03-2007, 04:33 AM
I was reading that sex is a natural antihistamine, so I've been doing that as much as possible, but my nose is still stuffed/running : (

fatbastard
05-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Saturday was bad. I took 2 Claritons and all was well. Strong as a fat horse right now.

thelastgreatman
05-03-2007, 05:02 AM
Anyone else notice that the insides of their nostrils had become lined with a substance of pitch blackness over the course of the weekend? Maybe just a campsite thing?

And no, it had nothing to do with heroin. Naturally, that fell through--fucking junkies.

wisconsinboozer
05-03-2007, 05:15 AM
You are all just weak! Nah i kinda felt like shit myself, had to have been all the acid in the minute maid lemonaids i went through

gaypalmsprings
05-03-2007, 06:08 AM
Prolly allergic to RATM

tibu1
05-03-2007, 06:17 AM
I feel fine, as do the 5 people i came with. I didn't camp, if that makes a difference?

I didn't exactly "camp" either. I slept in my vehicle on the grounds.

elChurro
05-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Most of society set themselves up these days giving into the whole personal day to day germ warfare by using excessive anti-whatever products and drinking bottled water. So when it comes time to actually battle something you're up shit creek cause your immune system is so used to being pampered.

but yea, allergies... big time out here.

JZ117
05-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Just found this thread ... Glad to know I am not the only one!!! Flew back to NJ on Monday and felt pretty bad by the time I landed, worse that night, and absolutely horrible by Tuesday morning. Stayed home, then went back to work yesterday - today am feeling kind of OK (probably from all the Dayquil, saline spray, salt-water gargling, neti pot usage, cough drops, soup, etc. etc.). Sounds v. similar to what everybody else described - REALLY awful sore throat, sinus stuff, etc. I def. have allergy issues so am thinking despite taking Claritin/Flonase out there, maybe the change in climates when I left just made everything that much worse?? Don't remember this happening last year, but I also didn't remember feeling really crappy by the end of every day last year like I did this year (and we didn't camp and didn't party excessively, etc.). Weird - definitely sounds like the Coachella Flu is for real ...

bonesgrrrr
05-03-2007, 07:15 AM
I am thinking someone there, maybe one of the water people, which a lot of individuals would have come in contact with, had the common cold because it sounds like a virus not a bacterial infection. I know that I was touching all sorts of people and stuff and then touching my face which is the main way of transferring a virus (not airborne as a lot of people think).

foto_synthesis
05-03-2007, 08:24 AM
My boyfriend puked by the side of the highway on our way back to Ontario Monday morning. And he only had 2 drinks on sunday. I think his body finally had it with all the crap we were eating/drinking/breathing in.

captncrzy
05-03-2007, 09:03 AM
OMG!! I have that, too! I have it on my legs, arms and torso. I think I'm either allergic to grass, or there was some weird pesticide sprayed. I'm still tired from the weekend, and a little brain-dead. I normally whip out crossword puzzles in nothing flat, but so far, I'm just staring at my paper everyday, wishing I knew the words...... ;)
My digestive system is totally shot. I hope that we don't see some weird break out from some vegetable served there. There's been so much of that going on in California lately.
Other than that, I'm GREAT!!

Well at least I know I'm not the only one. I wish it would go away. It's not itchy anymore but it still looks disgusting.

captncrzy
05-03-2007, 09:04 AM
I am thinking someone there, maybe one of the water people, which a lot of individuals would have come in contact with, had the common cold because it sounds like a virus not a bacterial infection. I know that I was touching all sorts of people and stuff and then touching my face which is the main way of transferring a virus (not airborne as a lot of people think).

That's totally possible-#1 way of spreading infection is by not washing hands.

DeltaSigChi4
05-03-2007, 09:10 AM
I am perfectly fine and never got sick/felt bad/etc.

Maybe you all should get better immune systems.

E

SFChrissy
05-03-2007, 09:12 AM
I've been fine until today but that could be from my plane ride...it's time for the a shot of liquid echinacea

washingtonpear
05-03-2007, 09:24 AM
I have a really strong immune system, i am not overly cautious staying safe from germs just for the fact that i wanna keep my immune system fighting germs not protected from them, and i have been to coachella four times, but this year I got really sick saturday afternoon and my only cure was the beat at MSTRKRFT oh and barfing at ARCADE FIRE, which i accounted to something else until monday when i was packing at had zero energy. I have been asleep since i made it home, now it is thursday and i feel like i am under water plugged ears and nose, dizzy when i stand scratchy sore throat even my teeth hurt... i didn't get the rash, but i saw alot of it on people.. hope we all feel better soon and to those that were lucky enough to stay healthy don't gloat cause sometimes even the strongest people get taken down.

thaipod
05-03-2007, 09:31 AM

E

I picked up a better immune system at Target on the way out there. Didn't get sick, and still feel great. Target really does have everything!

To be serious, though. Every day at Coa, I had a Claritin and a multi-vitamin. I honestly think it helps a lot. I do feel bad for you guys flying in though. After 3 days in the heat and then going into the freezing cold airport, then a pressurized airplane, that can fuck with you. Try having an Airborne capsule before you get on the plane. That will help.

leo01g
05-03-2007, 09:32 AM
I think It was just the dry weather. I felt like i couldnt breath and my chest and throat hurt when ever i coughed.

fire_in_cairo
05-03-2007, 09:33 AM
I don't know what the deal is, but I am so fucking sick now :[

I'm pretty sick too :yyablo
I still feel like shit

blastyourears
05-03-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm really sick.. my nose has been running NON STOP and my throat has been killing me..

Courtney
05-03-2007, 09:53 AM
I have a fairly strong immune system, which I think has something to do with the fact that I used to live near the world's epicenter of communicable disease (http://seedmagazine.com/news/2006/04/when_on_hajj_wear_a_facemask.php) (Mecca during Hajj). But the combination of Coachella factors caused me to get sick anyway, so this isn't a question of weak immune systems. I think it's probably more of a question of taking care of your body and not over-exerting yourself.

And as for the allergies, I have no idea. It's definitely not allergies in my case.

T-Rye
05-03-2007, 10:03 AM
i woke up really sick on monday. i don't know if it was the dust or what but i feel like crap and still do 4 days later. no booze or anything else to contribute to the sickness either. =/ maybe it's just "that time of year".

judila
05-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Crazy! I am really sick right now, too. Started with a really bad sore throat on Tuesday and has turned into full-blown sinusitis HELL.

Perhaps it was terrorists and some sort of germ warfare… ;)

tubescape
05-03-2007, 10:17 AM
ugh... the rash! got it from my elbows down. probably from lying on the grass. never had an allergic reaction like this to grass. it has mellowed now, but it still sucks. i bet it was from all the herbicides and fertilizers they use to keep the grass green.

MarkO
05-03-2007, 10:19 AM
I feel like canned ass and I camped off site for 5 days. Scratchy throat, runny nose and no energy.

fober
05-03-2007, 10:23 AM
I don't know if it actually works:

http://www.airbornehealth.com/

but I've never had a problem in 7 years.

Courtney
05-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Placebo effect, I assume. But hey, if it works don't knock it.

Sean81
05-03-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm back in Scotland and feeling like s hite. Worth it though.

miscorrections
05-03-2007, 10:30 AM
what's wrong with you all? the only problem i had was my nose was plugged up in the mornings with dust but no lasting damage.

Basskitten85
05-03-2007, 10:57 AM
All that dust is known to casue even the most healthiest people breathing and respiratory problems and lots of disconfort. Hang in there. Have some hot tea or if you have access to an inhaler use that.

suprefan
05-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I barely have an audible voice. I took claritan before I walked into the venue each day and it helped. But now I am just dragging. My ears are bugging me and I kind of have a headache but thats it. Hopefully I get over it by the end of the weekend since I am off.

thaipod
05-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Placebo effect, I assume. But hey, if it works don't knock it.

it's not a placebo because it's not a drug. It's a mega-multi-vitamin. It certainly does the trick.

Mabdul Doobakus
05-03-2007, 11:07 AM
All these allergies are due to a hyperactive immune system, not a weak one. So, it's not that.

Anyway...I'm in the same boat. First year I went out there, I basically got no sleep on Thurs and Fri nights, and then 4 hours on Saturday night. So, I spent half of my time at Coachella laying on the ground in a stupor...took a couple of naps. And by 6 PM Sunday I could hardly breathe and I had to leave. First time I'd ever really had a problem like that.

Since then, I've brought an inhaler every year, and I refuse to let myself sit on the ground for even a second...and I've been okay. Have to use the inhaler from time to time...especially when the air is hot and still and filled with smoke...but I've avoided anything resembling a crisis.

By the way, turns out I'm allergic to horses, which I found out while riding one in Mongolia.

But I've never been sick afterwards...I get progressively worse while I'm there, but I'm pretty much fine by Monday. Don't know what's going on with y'all.

For what it's worth, I highly recommend you stay off the grass from now on. Air's much clearer six feet up.

miscorrections
05-03-2007, 11:14 AM
it's not a placebo because it's not a drug. It's a mega-multi-vitamin. It certainly does the trick.

i hope you know that when you take multi-vitamins only a tiny tiny bit actually absorbs. it doesn't matter how concentrated the vitamin is, you'll still only get a very slight intake.

KenMixtape
05-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Myself and my roomate are pretty laid out as well. Sore throats, bad coughs, run down. At east it happened afterwards.

menikmati
05-03-2007, 11:23 AM
i have a cold now actually

algunz
05-03-2007, 11:27 AM
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more - that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut, my eyes are blue -
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke -
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb,
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is - what?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is . . . Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play!"

Courtney
05-03-2007, 11:29 AM

Uh, as far as I understand you can talk about a placebo effect even if you're not talking about drugs. So, say that I had depression and heard that eating lots of pizza would help me feel better, so I ate lots of pizza and convinced myself it was working and started to feel happier. That wouldn't be a drug, but it would be a placebo effect. Right?

KenMixtape
05-03-2007, 11:29 AM
:) that brought back memories

miscorrections
05-03-2007, 11:30 AM
i don't know, i think pizza has been clinically proven to have a direct causal effect on happiness.

Courtney
05-03-2007, 11:33 AM
i think pizza has been clinically proven to have a direct causal effect on happiness.

mmmmmmm pizzzzzzzza
:dumbo :dumbo :dumbo :dumbo

Shyeviolett
05-03-2007, 11:38 AM
I feel like shit, my ears and throat are all jacked up. I think its due to NO sleep all weekend (and the dust). No sleep fucks up your system.

captncrzy
05-03-2007, 12:16 PM
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more - that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut, my eyes are blue -
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke -
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb,
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is - what?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is . . . Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play!"

YEAH Shel Silverstein! That was my favorite poem from Where the Sidewalk Ends.

Alchemy
05-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I woke up quite ill on Sunday. Forced myself through the day, but I felt a lot better by the time CSS played, and once the sun went down I felt even more better. No doubt though, that allergies were definately at work. The straw and dust also did me some damage, and on the way back home on Monday I felt like crap. I feel good now though.

roberto73
05-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Has anyone else been running a temperature? I've got the cough and the sore throat like everyone else, but I've also had a low-grade fever since Monday, which hasn't been much fun.

anonimouse
05-03-2007, 12:49 PM
not reading this whole thread, but has anyone suggested yet that it could have been the aidz needles?

maybe someone did make a crime?

ellynet
05-03-2007, 01:02 PM
I have a very subtle rash all over my arms and on top of my hands. Never had an allergy, or skin condition before.

Can anyone confirm what this could be / how to treat?

My entire group had black boogers all weekend long - had to be the dust.

Never had health problems at all during Coachella over the last 2 years.. something strange was in the air ;(

dovesprings250r
05-03-2007, 01:15 PM
I got real sick sunday night and i was only there for friday. bad sore throat which is now a real bad cold.

nickzor2
05-03-2007, 01:23 PM
All I know is my throat is sore and my nose is running. That could be because I was surrounded by thousands of people, but now I'm sick for the Spider-man 3 premiere. LAME!

zikade
05-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Man, I knew something was up. I'm never, ever sick. I'm a Coachella vet (5+ years) and I've been 100% fine every time back, but this year, on Monday when I woke up, it was the worst sore throat ever. That's subsided by now, but I still after five days have a bad, bad cold. And a friend that I know went came back and was coughing up blood on Monday. It sucks cause I can't take off any more time from work (already used up my days for Coachella itself) so I'm stuck here in the office sneezing and coughing non-stop.

Something was definitely in the air/water-guy was sick/something going on this year.

lowfront
05-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Ya this is really horrible, I feel like dog shit and my mornings are killing with my sore throat

wastern
05-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Day 3 was bad for me, I couldn't breath at all. By the time Rage came out I was dying. I had to go watch from afar because dealing with the dicks jumping on me while not being able to breath was more then I wanted to deal with.

After that my nose starting running a lot. It took until today for it to really stop, but I can still feel my breathing isn't quite right. I think that will take a few more days to get back

I'm thinking it was the dead grass is the parking area, that hit me hard. Not sure what it was inside the fields though, unless that crap carried over

JOEJOEJOE
05-03-2007, 02:47 PM

E

Do you mock the dead at funerals too?

Are you as much of a jerk in real life as you are on these boards?, or are you just hungry for attention?

barrett90
05-03-2007, 03:21 PM

instinct
05-03-2007, 04:45 PM
Do you mock the dead at funerals too?

Are you as much of a jerk in real life as you are on these boards?, or are you just hungry for attention?

I didn't think that was THAT mean (or really mean at all)

hitthenorth
05-03-2007, 07:21 PM
[QUOTE=thelastgreatman;186027]Anyone else notice that the insides of their nostrils had become lined with a substance of pitch blackness over the course of the weekend? Maybe just a campsite thing?

I feel fine, but maybe the black shit is what caused all the blood when I blew my nose? Black bloody snot is not good.

captncrzy
05-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I have a very subtle rash all over my arms and on top of my hands. Never had an allergy, or skin condition before.

Can anyone confirm what this could be / how to treat?

My entire group had black boogers all weekend long - had to be the dust.

Never had health problems at all during Coachella over the last 2 years.. something strange was in the air ;(

My rash is all over the tops of my arms and the tops of my feet; which is odd because those particular body parts weren't in the grass. I've never had any skin or sun allergies either. Mine is starting to go away-not itchy anymore.

MikeWeez
05-03-2007, 07:46 PM
i do like 3 lines of airborne every 6 hrs

whynotsmile99
05-03-2007, 08:18 PM
wow, it looks like i'm not alone. My friend and I both came down with a runny nose mid day Sunday and we didn't camp. I'm still sick, but getting bettery. My sinus congestion has been pretty bad though.

hope everyone feels better soon.

edit: bettery...hahah

Californicator
05-03-2007, 09:34 PM
I feel pretty good, but my girlfriend took an aidz needle to the left big toe.

bjorkgudmonstirrur
05-03-2007, 09:37 PM
im suing Goldenvoice....I cant brefff (ala g.lo style)

elChurro
05-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Global Warming Could Worsen Allergies, Study Finds:

http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/science/081700sci-environ-climate.html

kamikaze
05-03-2007, 09:49 PM
This was my 4th Coachella and it was weird because everyone except one guy in our carpool got sick, we thought it was hay fever, all I know is that on sunday and monday my nose wouldn't stop running and I couldn't stop sneezing and the pitch blackness that was spoken of earlier was coming out of my nose, yuck, then on tuesday on our 3 hour drive back home from the bay area a terrible fever hit me. Next day I was fine, but my sister was nearly dead, but she's better now, she drank like 4 Essential orange-orange Vitamin Waters in one day, she got like 800% of her daily vitamin c. Ka Pow!

Boourns
05-03-2007, 10:24 PM
My fever went away today. But I can't swallow without agony. And I'm still draining out lots of green nastiness. Not coughing up blood anymore, thankfully, but it seems everyone I know who went is sick. I figured my sickness was because I went to the desert while recovering from a sinus infection. I've never been sick like this in previous years...burned, dehydrated, and exhausted, yes, but not actually sick sick. And everyone I know is in a similar state. Even those who only went two days. Something was seriously wrong this year. Something in the dirt, and therefore the air? If so, what? Will we ever know?

matildawong
05-03-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm feeling ok but my co-worker who went is really sick. He's got a gnarly sinus infection and then started puking tonight at work.

chiapet
05-03-2007, 10:57 PM
ugh... the rash! got it from my elbows down. probably from lying on the grass. never had an allergic reaction like this to grass. it has mellowed now, but it still sucks. i bet it was from all the herbicides and fertilizers they use to keep the grass green.

I have a bit of it on my legs too, and I think it's probably from sweating onto grass covered with pesticides/herbicides. I'm really surprised I am not sick though! I am allergic to everything in nature, but feel fine. I took some airborne before going and when coming back, claritin while there, and used my neti pot when I got back. I felt WAY better after getting all that black grime out of my nasal passages.

oinoch
05-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Knowing that so many other people got sick too makes me feel a little better. Misery loves company, I suppose.

Did anybody get a blister on their lip? I was sober (or at least coherent) 99% of the time, and I'm almost positive I didn't get it the fun way.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
05-03-2007, 11:12 PM
I think the government, shit-scared at the mobilization of a disaffected youth full of Rage fans, used the police helicopters to crop-dust the campsite with a potent chemical weapon.

coldstart
05-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Just got over my second day with a sore throat today (it's gone now). I also had a rash develop on the inside of my arm and torso probably on Monday or so. It's pretty much gone now. Why are so many people complaining of rashes and cold-like symptoms? I never get sick (once a year or so during Christmas), I've been taking a Trader Joe's multi-vitamin for 4.5 months everyday now and I slept better at Coachella than I do at home. Something seems not right. Even if it's a cold, where did all these rashes that everyone has come from?

ashtraygrl
05-03-2007, 11:43 PM
i was fine till the first day of the fest. i started having allergy like symptoms in my nose. the second day i was sneezing non stop and really congested. the third day i was having trouble breathing. no flu or cold symptoms... just what seemed like VERY severe allergic reactions. by monday (the day after the last day of the fest) i had to start using an inhaler. i used an inhaler for 2 days because of chest tightness. it started getting better a day and 1/2 ago... but my nose is still congested.

it actualy made me doubt going to coachella next year. i had a blast, but that dust fucked me so bad i was MISERABLE. i can deal with this nasal stuff, but chest tightness??? no way. sucks.

i didn't camp. i'm afraid if i had i would have died.

xx1424xx
05-04-2007, 12:22 AM
I know 3 people that got sick after Coachella too. hmmm. maybe it's a terrorist plot!

MikeWeez
05-04-2007, 02:28 AM
yeah i got these bumps on my penis...anyone else ?

fatbastard
05-04-2007, 04:57 AM
http://webpages.charter.net/reelstuff/bigfootsmall.jpg

TheWatcher
05-04-2007, 05:33 AM
My daughter woke up yesterday with a very runny nose and very sore throat; she'll be home from school for a few days. I was sneezing a lot on Friday and Saturday, but started feeling better Sunday. I was taking an Airborne each day of the festival, and each day since I've been home; maybe that helped. I'm allergic to dead, dry grass so I thought it was just allergies. I've had a little sore throat coming and going this week, and my digestive system is a little off, mostly I am just <very> sleepy. Friday when I was sitting in the grass in the Gobi tent, I noticed some odd black stuff on my legs, was not sure where it came from -- maybe pesticide or something? Also, it was extremely dusty leaving the parking lot on Sunday night, I could barely breathe.

superfiction
05-04-2007, 05:39 AM
hey i sick too. and i didnt camp. and the kidd i went with is sick. this is strange

amyzzz
05-04-2007, 07:51 AM
I'm not reading this entire thread. All I can say is I haven't had any problems, and my husband is fine too.

ashtraygrl
05-04-2007, 07:58 AM
i think 1/2 the people on this thread are just suffering from the flu, strep, or a cold. traveling and staying with other people in crowded situations will do that.

i think the other 1/2 (myself included) are suffering from some kind of reaction to the dust.

th sore throat, fever, etc. stuff sounds more like a virus than an environmental thing. those of us having congestion and chest tightness alone are either allergic to the dust or something was in it... such as spores or whatnot.

alyssak
05-04-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm on day three of laying on my pull out couch with a big box of kleenex. : (

alyssak
05-04-2007, 09:02 AM
yeah i got these bumps on my penis...anyone else ?

ha ha ha ewwww

menikmati
05-04-2007, 09:23 AM
this sucks...started with a HORRIBLE sore throat, bloody noses, and has turned into the worse sinus problems yet....all i'm doing is coughing, sitting by drenched boxes of kleenex, and typing this. Conspiracy!

menikmati
05-04-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm going to overdose on ricolas

Basskitten85
05-04-2007, 09:30 AM
Take some AIRBORNe ,. GREAT STUFF. Helps out alot

amyzzz
05-04-2007, 11:08 AM
this sucks...started with a HORRIBLE sore throat, bloody noses, and has turned into the worse sinus problems yet....all i'm doing is coughing, sitting by drenched boxes of kleenex, and typing this. Conspiracy!
Aww. I feel bad for you, Erik. I did actually take Airborne and/or a vitamin just about every day, and I'm fine. I count myself lucky though, considering I had 2-3 hours sleep every night.

spertierra
05-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Did any of you ever here of Valley Fever. It is spread in the dust, microscopic spores. Your doctors won't know anything about it, unless they practiced medicine in California's central valley. Can be deadly, or just long term debilitating. Don't know the symtoms, or how fast it spreads, but some of you might tell your doctors, if the symptoms continue. When I was little, it nearly killed my dad. He was in hospital several months. If you grew up in central valley, probally immune, othrwise, you could be screwed. Good luck

lowfront
05-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Now when I blow my nose in the morning there is blood....

wonderful

traviscanada
05-04-2007, 01:37 PM
http://www.astdhpphe.org/infect/valley.html

bonesgrrrr
05-04-2007, 03:44 PM
http://www.astdhpphe.org/infect/valley.html

Wow, that is really interesting.

lisa pea
05-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Just to check, is anyone feeling better? I saw someone got antibiotics, did that help? I've been feeling sick (similar to allergies) for about a week now and I'm really not feeling any better. Someone please tell me this feeling goes away!!!

MateoM
05-04-2007, 04:00 PM
wow i thought i was the only one to get sick.... i am seriously dying. i contracted pink eye in both eyes on Sunday like right during Willie Nelson. And two days after the festival i developed an ear infection. and ive just been generally sick and feel like crap still!!! damn you coachella!

woogie846
05-04-2007, 04:02 PM
I feel like crap...ugh...

BoneDaddy
05-04-2007, 04:34 PM
I got thrush. This is the second time I've had thrush after a Coachella weekend. Too much social interaction I guess. :cool:

omg wtf bbq
05-04-2007, 04:42 PM
i am also sick

ivankay
05-04-2007, 04:56 PM
i'll include myslef in the not so healthy. i normally take Monday off, but had to take Tuesday as well because i was out of it with the sinuses, weakness, and cough. i was practically in a coma with the amount of sleep. i attributed that to the need for make up zzzz's. The cough is not knarly, just a weak consistent one that i still have today. i've been to all Coachellas and never be ill afterwards. i don't have allergies (of course that i am aware of). hmmmm.

ashtraygrl
05-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Did any of you ever here of Valley Fever. It is spread in the dust, microscopic spores. Your doctors won't know anything about it, unless they practiced medicine in California's central valley. Can be deadly, or just long term debilitating. Don't know the symtoms, or how fast it spreads, but some of you might tell your doctors, if the symptoms continue. When I was little, it nearly killed my dad. He was in hospital several months. If you grew up in central valley, probally immune, othrwise, you could be screwed. Good luck

i was worried about valley fever before even going to coachella. however, i was told that you only get it from dust that's just been dug up, like on construction sites.

sithlord
05-04-2007, 05:36 PM
i'M SICK. AND IT ISN'T THE CIGARETTES, i'VE SMOKED A PACK A DAY FOR YEARS. MY LUNGS AND THROAT ARE STILL FUCKED. GOOD OL COACHELLA.

gaypalmsprings
05-04-2007, 05:38 PM
I live here & I didn't get sick. Be glad it wasn't this weekend, cuz the winds are kicking up the sand & dust like crazy.

ToddThaGod
05-04-2007, 06:19 PM
i camped for the 3 days and im also sick with a soar throat and mucus....

unknown
05-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Just to check, is anyone feeling better? I saw someone got antibiotics, did that help? I've been feeling sick (similar to allergies) for about a week now and I'm really not feeling any better. Someone please tell me this feeling goes away!!!

I am a bit better, no body ache/pounding head ache/fever. however, I am CONSTANTLY blowing my nose and my throat is a tad sore. I managed to work a full 10 hours today; I hope to recover by Monday though - have a 1400 mile road trip ahead and I'll be driving half of it.

stephen22
05-04-2007, 08:04 PM
I cannot stop coughing...the back of my head hurts...and my eyes are kind of watery.

Hannahrain
05-04-2007, 08:53 PM
I camped, but I didn't spend a ton of time at the campsite. I was in as soon as I could be each day.

I definitely caught something. Nothing terrible, but the back of my throat hurts a lot and feels sort of thick, if that makes sense.

ThomThom
05-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Feel like shit, more or less a mix of the heat, the camping, and the craziness at the actual festival...needless to say I will be at a hotel next year. The people I met were great but that was about it, my body just could not stand the heat, the allergies, and the lack of sleep.

everlay
05-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Wow, I'm sick as a dog. Started yesterday morning. I camped onsite.
I thought it was the water they sprayed on us in the audience, I was drenched, and then it got chilly in my tent.

Then I had to wash my car the other day and I did the cheaper hose-it-down-yourself coin-op, and got wet again. But I think I would have to blame the dust there.

I'm going the homeopathic route:
Allium cepa 6C (for runny nose & frequent sneezing)
Belladonna 6C (for fever)
Kali bichromicum 6C (for thick nasal discharge)

(got it at Whole Foods market)
Seems to be doing its job quickly!

One thing: I once did research on bottled water. The one served at Coachella is Crystal Geyser. I remember reading a published comparative analysis on bottled waters and it rated low with a higher cyanide content. But I just did some followup research and surprisingly, there is a different source for Crystal Geyser on the East Coast than the West Coast. Apparently, the West Coast version is actually from a spring in Switzerland somewhere. Interesting. Anyway, I drank a helluva lot of Crystal Geyser over the weekend. Maybe they should mix it up with other brands? (I would pay a little more for Fiji water.) CG is probably the best deal cuz I see it served a lot in big events like this.

RickeyinLA
05-04-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm just sad that it's 51 more weeks until next time. It might be clinical.

everlay
05-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Does anyone think that maybe the government has had a hand in this?

Well, if anyone gets more seriously ill, then please ask someone to post it for you so we can keep a tally...

[jk]

giomaniac
05-04-2007, 09:48 PM
I still have some flu effects. But after sunday I had nasal congestion, runny nose and heavy sore throat. SO IS A FACT!!!!:mad:

mimi3000
05-04-2007, 09:57 PM
I got sick too! Well my allergies would always kick in later in the evening at the polo field. And finally I got a cold on the drive back to Los Angeles. That didn't stop me from from seeing The Ed Banger crew on mon & tues in Los Angeles and then I got bronchitis. I missed 2 days of works so far...

SubBass49
05-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Anyone else notice that the insides of their nostrils had become lined with a substance of pitch blackness over the course of the weekend? Maybe just a campsite thing?

And no, it had nothing to do with heroin. Naturally, that fell through--fucking junkies.

It's called dust...my brother & I call the boogers ya get at the end of each night, "Coachella Browns." been like that going all the way back to 99...just a fact of Coachella...

SubBass49
05-04-2007, 10:07 PM
I got thrush. This is the second time I've had thrush after a Coachella weekend. Too much social interaction I guess. :cool:

Weakened immune system or antibiotics?

mchertron
05-04-2007, 10:08 PM
its the drugs, the drinking, the dirty touching , the people in camping not cleaning . haha

whynotsmile99
05-04-2007, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE (I would pay a little more for Fiji water.) CG is probably the best deal cuz I see it served a lot in big events like this.[/QUOTE]

a LITTLE more? if Crystal Geyser is going for 2 bucks a pop, Fiji would have to be 10-15. good water though

gmoneyak
05-04-2007, 10:22 PM
I had a mad cough starting Monday while driving back to Nevada...

All this week I've been absolutely depleted of energy and w/really bad headaches every morning... I though It was just allergies.. But Fuck, Coachella flu it is!!

Finally getting better for the weekend though...:)

SubBass49
05-04-2007, 10:32 PM
The one symptom I can say I've experienced is the total exhaustion...falling asleep at like 8pm or earlier every night...barely able to get up & turn off the alarm in the morning...no sickness symptoms though...unless you count the cold sore that decided to pop up and say hello on Sunday.. :(

everlay
05-04-2007, 11:09 PM
The one symptom I can say I've experienced is the total exhaustion...falling asleep at like 8pm or earlier every night...barely able to get up & turn off the alarm in the morning...no sickness symptoms though...unless you count the cold sore that decided to pop up and say hello on Sunday.. :(

Cold sore, read..."Herpes"

What were you doing?

That shit's for life, I hope you know. Now was it worth it? (Probably so.)

SubBass49
05-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Oh I know...that's old shit though...I think I was like 8 when I got mono...fuck it. I just take lysine every day, and it's usually years between them showin' up...this time though I think it was the extreme jump in sun exposure (known to trigger 'em). It's usually either too much sun or too much stress...

everlay
05-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Lysine works best taken with B6 (50mg) and Vit. C (at least 500mg) and an aspirin! Try it!

Suffacated
05-05-2007, 06:45 AM
or there was some weird pesticide sprayed.

There was nothing sprayed on the grass other than water.
With horses worth more than most of us make in a year, I doubt that any kind of chemical would be used. Same goes for anything used to make the grass greener.
Is horse pee considered a chemical?

FakePlasticMe
05-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Wow. This is insane. I was just talking to my boyfriend (who went with me) about how strange it was that my entire group was sick all weekend (and never was sick at Coachella before).

This year I felt horrible! I had full scale LARYNGITIS all weekend, woke up Sat morning with a swollen throat and couldn't speak a word. I also had this horrible cough and my voice still isn't back to normal. That is so weird!

SubBass49
05-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Lysine works best taken with B6 (50mg) and Vit. C (at least 500mg) and an aspirin! Try it!

Hmmm...damn...I might hafta try this. How did you figure this out?

miscorrections
05-05-2007, 09:27 AM
you only need 1-1.5 g lysine daily, and chances are you get that in your food.

although sources suggest lysine may help with herpes. so if lysine is making you feel better, i'm judging you. also you may want to get tested, you dirty fucks.

nahuatldream
05-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Count me among the sick. Got a sore throat, runny nose and persistent cough. now it hurts to cough. I think it was all the dust out there and then the change in climate coming back home to a much cooler area. or peaches. that bitch.

Boourns
05-05-2007, 11:09 AM
God, I'm feeling worse today. Still coughing, still got that green, disgusting drainage, but I cannot swallow. The back of my throat is in excruciating pain, and whenever I swallow it takes a lot of effort and I make the most agonized face. Kill me now.

Never again. Nothing is worth this kind of suffering.

SubBass49
05-05-2007, 11:46 AM
you only need 1-1.5 g lysine daily, and chances are you get that in your food.

although sources suggest lysine may help with herpes. so if lysine is making you feel better, i'm judging you. also you may want to get tested, you dirty fucks.

Lysine doesnt make you feel better...it keeps cold sores from showing up. And I got mono when I was like 8 years old...I'm far from dirty...lol...

JZ117
05-05-2007, 12:12 PM
So is anybody actually over it yet?? Every day I wake up hoping it will be gone, but nooooo ... Sore throat was gone by Wed., but since then has just been tons of congestion and nose blowing, despite taking all kinds of airborne, saline, zinc, decongestants, etc. THIS SUCKS. (And I have to fly back to CA tomorrow - I'm sure being in a plane for 6 hours will help a lot ...) Very mysterious that so many people are sick though ...

devachan
05-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Damn I feel for you all. Sucks big time. I got sick after 05 really bad and I only went one day. I had the stomach flu a couple days earlier in the week but I attribute that to eating at Del Taco. I was forced to really because it was the only place open by my hotel 24 hours. That crap tastes 100 times better at 3am after a day at Coachella.

SubBass49
05-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Damn I feel for you all. Sucks big time. I got sick after 05 really bad and I only went one day. I had the stomach flu a couple days earlier in the week but I attribute that to eating at Del Taco. I was forced to really because it was the only place open by my hotel 24 hours. That crap tastes 100 times better at 3am after a day at Coachella.

Were you at the Motel 6 in Palm Desert? (Varner & Washington off the 10)

tibu1
05-05-2007, 06:15 PM
So is anybody actually over it yet?? Every day I wake up hoping it will be gone, but nooooo ... THIS SUCKS. (And I have to fly back to CA tomorrow - I'm sure being in a plane for 6 hours will help a lot ...) Very mysterious that so many people are sick though ...
The rash that pretty much covered my body is gone (except around my elbows...leading me to believe it was the grass). One thing is still around, and that is that I continue to be completely and utterly exhausted!! I wake up dead tired, and drag my ass through the day feeling like I'm in the 10th round of a prize-fight!

DogToggler
05-05-2007, 06:30 PM
The rash! wtf... I noticed it on my stomach/back/upper arms about a day after getting home. My forearms/legs which were actually on the grass have no sign of it, and mine was never itchy unlike what others have said.

I initially attributed this to stress since I was staying awake all night when I returned and scrambling to complete the projects I blew off for Coachella.

Other than that I had no flu/cold or other symptoms.

Rhydz
05-05-2007, 07:30 PM
both me andmy girlfriend got the same flu symptoms. now we just have bad conjested lungs. anyone been to a dr?

devachan
05-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Were you at the Motel 6 in Palm Desert? (Varner & Washington off the 10)

Yes I was in fact. And let me tell you it was wayyyy better than the Indio Motel suck. Last year the A/C went out in the entire hotel the whole weekend and I nearly passed the fuck out. That reminds me, I need to book my room for next year. It's actually in a pretty good location but I sure as hell will avoid the Del Taco come 08.

Mr.Wyndham
05-05-2007, 09:42 PM
im pretty sick. it's probably from lack of sleep and there were massive amounts of different types of smoke.

PrettyRagdoll
05-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Oh wow, I thought it was just me! I was extremely itchy for like... the first 3 days after coming home and I was pretty congested.

alaskajo
05-06-2007, 01:45 AM
I totally noticed that everyone had a cough during Coachella, especially those who stayed at the campsite.

I had got it, but it disappeared soon after.

SubBass49
05-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Yes I was in fact. And let me tell you it was wayyyy better than the Indio Motel suck. Last year the A/C went out in the entire hotel the whole weekend and I nearly passed the fuck out. That reminds me, I need to book my room for next year. It's actually in a pretty good location but I sure as hell will avoid the Del Taco come 08.

Yo...my brother and I have stayed there for like the last 4 Coachellas...it's the best spot IMHO.

clockwork123
05-06-2007, 11:03 AM
thankfully someone bought up a few extra rage battle of coachella shirts over the Coachella wkend! if you needed the black rage against the machine shirt and they were sold out check out ebay. i just scored a battle of coachella shirt from there myself!

SubBass49
05-06-2007, 01:53 PM
clockwork123 the spammer...lol...if ya'll cant figure it out, he's the one with the Rage shirts for sale on E-bay...lol...

FakePlasticMe
05-06-2007, 01:59 PM
clockwork123 the spammer...lol...if ya'll cant figure it out, he's the one with the Rage shirts for sale on E-bay...lol...

Yeah, I noticed! He has posted the same exact thing on every thread!

Anyway, my laryngitis is nearly gone...finally! My boyfriend and I are still coughing though. As for the rashes, I noticed I had a small one on my hands, where flies were biting me during the C of C performance. Did anyone else notice the insane amount of flies this year? That could have something to do with it.

gaypalmsprings
05-06-2007, 02:09 PM
No flies on me. I use proper hygiene.

dedzilla
05-06-2007, 07:39 PM
I'm pretty sure there was a bug floating around. I know several people who were sick both in Washington and Cali. I, myself, got sick on Tuesday but was pretty much over it by the first day of Coachella. I think that is what all the coughing was about. There were a lot of people either still sick or just getting over it.

boarderwoozel3
05-06-2007, 07:45 PM
my friend got that rash people are talking about on her arms. I just got some conjestion, but that was probably from the tons of pot and cigs I smoked so that one is on me.

Boourns
05-06-2007, 07:55 PM
I've never felt this bad in my life. Went to the doctor today (no insurance, so that bill is going to be a fortune when it arrives), and I have sinusitis, bronchitis, and the infection has now spread to my right ear, where there's a horrible amount of pressure combined with a sharp, stabbing sensation that is constant and does not go away. I can't sleep, watch tv, read, play on the computer for more than a couple minutes, nada. Just lie awake in agony.

idrive1life
05-06-2007, 08:06 PM
That sucks! I hope you feel better Boourns. Not feeling better after the doctor's visit or after taking the medications he prescribed?

Boourns
05-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks. Well, it takes a few days for meds to kick in...

Pixiessp
05-06-2007, 08:23 PM
I had a bad cold a week before Coachella and by the time April 27th came around all I had was a cough with no phlegm and lots of boogies but I felt fine and only got better. Never had anything like what everyone is describing.
I did not camp.

FakePlasticMe
05-06-2007, 11:45 PM
There was definitely something in the campsite, 99% of everyone I have talked to that camped is still sick or getting over a long week of illness sparked that weekend. I remember hearing everyone coughing, but I assumed it was from smoking random things. When I saw this thread I was amazed.

Boourns
05-07-2007, 12:16 AM
If the reason that Coachella can only be on the hottest weekend of the year is because of the grass, then why was the campsite a barren field of dead grass and dust as early as Thursday night? That brown air was disgusting and I had to cover my face when stuck like cattle trying to escape. All the good it did...

thelastgreatman
05-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Anybody else notice the color of the stuff that came out of their nose? I was camping so I was out in the dust the whole time, but I showered every day, and nonetheless when I got home and gave it a proper cleaning... shit was BLACK. Like pitch black. My nostrils were darker than the Murphy brothers.

orbit
05-07-2007, 12:34 AM
I camped from thursday to monday and have no problems at all. I remember on friday I was sneezing and had some conjestion.. I took one anti-allergy pill and I felt really good all the weekend. No cough, no sore throat.

JustSteve
05-07-2007, 07:50 AM
just got back from from stagecoach...i have the stuffed nose from hell and a little sore throat. same thing i had after 3 days of coachella. all my symptoms went away in a couple days last week and will hopefully do the same this week. i attribute it to way too much drinking of alcohol, not enough water...living at the beach, but spending 2 weekends in a row in a dry, hot, windy desert is no good for my body. i need my ocean breeze and moist air. just hoping my lungs(i have a lung disease) hold up and i don't end up in the hospital like i have every year after coachella since '04...have mothers day this upcoming weekend and then fly back to maryland for a friends wedding the weekend after that. i can rest in june, i guess!

cbrl23
05-07-2007, 09:27 AM
this sucks, my fourth coachella and I never got sick before, now it's been a week of a sore throat, vomiting and fever, and apparently it was evolving into bronchitis, so I got a couple of antibiotic shots...

I just want to get some rest

ghettojournalist
05-07-2007, 10:05 AM
this is my fourth time for coachella and the first time to come home with some sort of ailment.
my friend and i just blame the dirty RATM fans.

Boourns
05-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Anybody else notice the color of the stuff that came out of their nose? I was camping so I was out in the dust the whole time, but I showered every day, and nonetheless when I got home and gave it a proper cleaning... shit was BLACK. Like pitch black. My nostrils were darker than the Murphy brothers.

Ugh, don't remind me.

At least you didn't have a visit from the EMT for bleeding all over the place on Sunday.

FakePlasticMe
05-07-2007, 10:30 AM
this is my fourth time for coachella and the first time to come home with some sort of ailment.
my friend and i just blame the dirty RATM fans.

:lool

BeeII
05-07-2007, 10:45 AM
i didn't camp on site, i camped at lake cahuilla and i still got sick, 2 days in bed, antibiotics.

i also got a wierd rash on my shins mostly, doesn't itch, never did.

amyzzz
05-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Maybe I didn't get a rash because the skin on my legs never touched the grass. I wore jeans friday, then on saturday and sunday I wore a sarong with knee high socks.

everlay
05-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Hmmm...damn...I might hafta try this. How did you figure this out?

http://www.amazon.com/Prescription-Nutritional-Healing-3rd/dp/1583330771/ref=sid_dp_dp/102-4137465-0035319

SubBass49
05-08-2007, 04:30 AM
cool...mighta hatfa get that..sounds like a good reference

eric m
05-08-2007, 05:39 AM
My voice was all fucked up and is just now getting better. Coming from the east coast, our pollen expoded the few days before I left and I was already having trouble. Going to a dry climate with a lot of dust and particulates in the air didn't help at all. I do think the third day beat us all up a lot though.

cellophane_star
05-08-2007, 06:48 AM
I noticed that by the end of each concert day, I was coughing but I think that was mainly due to cigarette smoke.

When I got back, I did notice a few rashes on my legs but I think they were from excessive sweating.

varun
05-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Yea me and my buddy both had painful throats, runny throats, rough coughs and general flu-ish feeling. We've both recovered pretty much, except for the runny noses. Coachella did something whack to my sinuses.

JZ117
05-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Anybody else been continuously sick since they left??? I have finally decided it's a sinus infection turning into bronchitis ... no matter what OTC medicine or home remedies I do, it just is not going away. And of course I am back in Cali for work so can't even get to a doctor for antibiotics for a few days ... Hope everyone else is feeling better by now!!

bonesgrrrr
05-08-2007, 07:06 PM
So, I finally went to the doctor after a week of coughing and he said that it was an upper respiratory chest infection caused by a nasty virus, so hopefully the people who are on antibiotics have something different. I am just glad that I don't have valley fever, but my cough is still not going away. Does any body else have a persistent dry cough?

Nothing helps it seems.

landa321
05-08-2007, 07:26 PM
i felt fine while i was there, but once i got back, i got a bit of a cold. i still have it... not that bad. mostly congestion and a lot of coughing at night, which keeps me up. i blame it mostly on the airplane/airports.

lowfront
05-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm starting to get better now.

good thing need to be healthy for my 3 arcade fire shows in 4 day span.

J~$$$
05-08-2007, 08:47 PM
coachellaidz.

DredheadV2.0
05-09-2007, 07:07 AM
I'm starting to get better now.

good thing need to be healthy for my 3 arcade fire shows in 4 day span.

Damn you.

All three Chicago dates are sold out, and no matter who I try to wheedle at Jam no one seems to be able to make with a pair.

slurpee
05-10-2007, 05:59 PM
This was the first year I did not stay in the on site camping. This was also the first year I came back from Coacehlla NOT sick.

kennycarly
05-11-2007, 01:40 AM
I've still got it, my buddies were fine!...

I got fucked on!

SubBass49
05-11-2007, 04:34 AM
I got fucked on!

That might be part of the problem right there! Of you other sickies...how many got fucked on at Coachella???

Leckie
05-11-2007, 05:59 AM
So, I finally went to the doctor after a week of coughing and he said that it was an upper respiratory chest infection caused by a nasty virus, so hopefully the people who are on antibiotics have something different. I am just glad that I don't have valley fever, but my cough is still not going away. Does any body else have a persistent dry cough?

Nothing helps it seems.

yep im STILL coughing up a lot of flem. i don't know what to do! i've got coachellaidz!!

psychic friend
05-11-2007, 07:31 AM
im still coughing and hacking up flem. you can hear the congestion when i breath. it's gross. 2 festivals in a row didnt help it im sure. grrrrrrrrrrr

algunz
05-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Next year, we should all wear surgical masks and rubber gloves.

amyzzz
05-11-2007, 09:46 AM
This was the first year I did not stay in the on site camping. This was also the first year I came back from Coacehlla NOT sick.
I camped, and I'm not sick (just to give a broader ranger here). However, I did not socialize with a ton of people, or TOUCH a lot of people this year. I stayed away from the pits, and I only got up front for CSS, Faithless, and Infected Mushroom. I was never so close to people that I got their sweat on me. Just FYI. I guess that's a good side effect from being married to someone who is afraid of crowds.

kaeso
05-11-2007, 10:00 AM
goddamn! i'm still sick (congestion, coughing, etc.), although i resumed smoking shortly after the festival, and this could encourage my symptoms (what could i do, i had finals, was stressed). Two of my friends who went are also under the weather.

bonesgrrrr
05-11-2007, 02:37 PM
Next year, we should all wear surgical masks and rubber gloves.

Actually I saw a few guys walking around wearing surgical masks. I would be really scared if this caught on, but it does sometimes seem that that is where our future is taking us, damn Lysol and germaphobes.

beautiful nemesis
05-11-2007, 08:04 PM
it hit me on the 4 hour bus ride, and my boyfriend when we were on the train. i figured it was the recycled air and air conditioning, but i'm STILL with a runny nose and phlegm. it's annoying, and no matter what i've tried nothing seems to help; drinking herbal remedies, Airbourne, etc. doesnt seem to help me. =(

is anyone else also really fatigued, no matter how much sleep they get?

hope everyone who's still sick gets better soon!

sithlord
05-18-2007, 01:16 PM
feeling better...but still coughing up nasty brown phlegm. ewwww, gross.

SFChrissy
05-18-2007, 01:48 PM
feeling better but coughing up the last bit of lingering phlem.

SuperClaud
05-18-2007, 05:03 PM
i was actually getting over a cold, but once i got to coachella, my sinuses were fucked. i lost my voice the entire time, i sounded like a donkey lady. couldn't cheer or sing along, it fuckin sucked ass. i'm still not completely better, but we were a mess afterwards... all our boogers there were completely black from the dust...bleh..

summerkid
05-18-2007, 10:44 PM
next year i'm bringing saline solution for sure.

rage patton
05-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Ive had a stuffed up nose since the Thursday after Coachella. It took a few days to kick in. Its just now starting to clear up.
It wont stop me from coming again next year though.

RifleEyes
05-19-2007, 01:55 AM
Ooh, interesting. After I left, I got really bad sinus stuffs. It clogged my Eustachian tube and my ear almost exploded on the plane home. I had a really high fever Tuesday night too. I think I caught a cold when I came home. And since I've been home, I've had serious allergy problems. I love Coachella.

luveebunni08
05-19-2007, 03:04 PM
oops.

nahuatldream
05-19-2007, 03:05 PM
I am now finally quite over my lingering cough. quite.

Boourns
05-19-2007, 08:36 PM
After feeling mostly better, I've fallen back over the past few days. Something on on the left side of my throat is swollen, and I can't swallow, move my tongue, or press against my neck without being in pain. Also, my ears still feel funny, and my chest is back to being deeply congested, and I'm still coughing up green phlegm. Guess I have to go back to the doctor and get another prescription for something that won't work properly. God, Coachella is going to end up costing $1000 this year.

roberto73
05-19-2007, 09:42 PM
After suffering many of the same symptoms as the rest of the people in this thread, I was diagnosed with bronchitis on 5/7. My doc had me take a chest x-ray so he could confirm or deny pneumonia, gave me an antibiotic, and that, I hoped, was that. But almost two weeks later I'm still hacking around, and somewhere in there I pulled or tore or perforated or exploded a muscle in my side from the excessive coughing. So now, whenever I'm not doubled over in pain from doing something as strenuous as sneezing, I'm looped out of my skull on Vicodin. No one told me Ticketmaster fees were this high.

Deviate_420
05-20-2007, 12:18 PM
I think it was from all the weed that I smoked.........

bonesgrrrr
05-22-2007, 06:56 PM
I am so tired of the lingering cough ...I am going to explode from the lack of exercise.

thelastmejia
06-20-2007, 08:53 AM
its the amount of different people our immune systems can't handle all the new people and since everyones immune system fights of different pathogens and carries different ones our own bodies don't know what to do with themselves so we get sick after and during cause its out bodies responding to all the new agents that they are exposed to.

thelastgreatman
06-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Look, I don't mean to cause a disagreement, but...

Germs don't exist. There, I said it. It's all propaganda by the medicinal establishment.

The real reason you get sick is God hates fags, of course.

fatbastard
01-09-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm sick with the flu right now. It has nothing to do with Coachella.

kreutz2112
01-09-2008, 11:03 AM
I have gotten sick every time I have gotten home from coachella. I attribute it to lack of sleep/drinking/14 hours in the sun each day.

Boourns
01-10-2008, 12:05 AM
I'm attending Coachella in a plastic bubble this year.

rage patton
01-10-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm attending Coachella in a plastic bubble this year.

I always knew you were Wayne Coynes alias.

mvanwinkle
01-10-2008, 12:35 AM
I say it's the dust.

ITs definitely the dust. After Friday night I came to my tent and cleaned out my nose and there was dirt allll in it. It was ridiculous

KatieLyn
01-10-2008, 08:09 PM
I've never gotten it.
But then again I live in the desert so I could be used to whatever it is that makes people sick when they come to Coachella.

menikmati
01-10-2008, 08:53 PM
if history is any indication, I will probably OD on Ricola after this years festival.

ayates
01-10-2008, 09:50 PM
I was fine in 2006 but after last year I was in horrible shape. It didn't occur until after Sunday though. I don't think it was the dust but rather the security guards spraying water in my face while in the front during Manu Chao and Rage Against the Machine.

Gyrus
01-11-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm putting it down to:

>>4 Nights of little to no sleep
>> 4 Days of dancing around in the sun with....
>>Copius amounts of alcohol and/or recreational narcotics
>> The 1000's of other sweaty people breathing your precious air when you're all crowded together
>> SHARING OF WATER BOTTLES EWWWWWWWW u DIRTY RAVERS :P

Mix them all up together and you got a recipe for a good time (which usually makes you sick afterwards)

Mythbuster verdict - Plausible

ashtraygrl
01-12-2008, 11:20 AM
mine was definitely dust/allergy related, and not a virus. on the second day, i started sneezing pretty fucking bad. my nose was running and eyes were itching . by the end of that day i was miserable. the third day i started having breathing troubles. like, full on asthma type shit. i had to buy a primatine mist inhaler on the way to the airport the next morning. i wound up having to use it for 3 days after getting back home, and i wasn't "100%" for about a week.

it's actually my #1 concern with going back. i mean, i had a good time, but i was also MISERABLE. it's a lot harder to enjoy yourself when you can't fucking breathe.

i guess that's why all those people were wearing bandanas or surgical masks. i don't want to have to do that if i go again, but goddamn.

Encaitare
01-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Maybe I am a new breed of super human, but I always feel better after coachella - good food, good exercise, lotsa sun for my hermit-white skin. But my fiance is allergic to hay and winds up wheezing by the second night. Polo field = horses = hay, maybe you are all just getting hay fever, (which is actually just a cover term for allergies to lots of different seasonal pollens, which are most prevalent during dry, windy, and hot conditions; ie Coachella). Try taking an allergy pill like loratadine, (which is really cheap at Costco btw) a few days before you go and untill you get home, it will help.

chiapet
01-12-2008, 12:29 PM
ashtraygrl, definitely start taking allergy meds a few days in advance (loratadine is a good suggestion - basically generic Claritin). If you have insurance, I'd also strongly suggest going to a doc and seeing if they will write you a prescription for an albuterol inhaler. It works a lot better than Primatene (which is epinephrine). Also, with all the dust and pollen in the air, it would help to flush out your nostrils a couple of times a day, or at least before you sleep. Drugstores sell little bottles of saline for this.

I feel your pain, the same thing happens to me if I have to be around cats, I am miserable for a few days after. If I know I'm going to be around a cat, I use an inhaler, and it helps a lot. My doc had no problem prescribing one for occasional use.

ttboy80
01-13-2008, 11:29 PM
if you need allergy pills/spray, be sure to bring it in a prescription bottle. They jacked my inhaler and pills two years ago... it was rough!

Last year I had to sneak shit in like a drug mule.

boarderwoozel3
01-13-2008, 11:30 PM
did you have to use the port-o-shitters as an extraction site?

Gyrus
01-14-2008, 09:05 PM
if you need allergy pills/spray, be sure to bring it in a prescription bottle. They jacked my inhaler and pills two years ago... it was rough!

Last year I had to sneak shit in like a drug mule.

That's fucked.
It's like, I'm well old enough to drink yet I had to sneak in the alcohol like back in the prohibition days, felt well dodgy. Note to self, best way to smuggle shit in.... wrap it in your tent or just get someone to walk near the border of the fence (beer garden works best) and just chuck the bag (full of booze - be careful) over fence to someone that's waiting
We can do an allergy drug run this year, we'll organise a whole underground network, we can even flog off sudafeds for $3 a pop, lets do it....:lool

dirty hippie
01-14-2008, 10:23 PM
The Coachella Flu==FACT

Interesting but not surprising that others have gotten sick. I was sick for about two weeks after Coachella in 2006.

I will break it down for you:
The inside of your lungs are moist and they like it that way. The dust/dirt, dry climate, and extreme heat dehydrate and inflame the lining of your lungs. Flu-like upper respiratory infections will follow. If you already suffer from allergies and if you exhaust yourself each day the symptoms are exacerbated.

Stay hydrated, wear a cloth over your mouth like those tools you've seen. Take allergy meds-Zyrtec is the best. Sit a lot when you are not dancing. Take a multi-vitamin. Try not to drink a lot of alcohol. It suppresses your immune system. Good luck! Being sick sucks.

MassiveChemicalPunk
01-14-2008, 10:25 PM
The Coachella Flu==FACT

Interesting but not surprising that others have gotten sick. I was sick for about two weeks after Coachella in 2006.

I will break it down for you:
The inside of your lungs are moist and they like it that way. The dust/dirt, dry climate, and extreme heat dehydrate and inflame the lining of your lungs. Flu-like upper respiratory infections will follow. If you already suffer from allergies and if you exhaust yourself each day the symptoms are exacerbated.

Stay hydrated, wear a cloth over your mouth like those tools you've seen. Take allergy meds-Zyrtec is the best. Sit a lot when you are not dancing. Take a multi-vitamin. Try not to drink a lot of alcohol. It suppresses your immune system. Good luck! Being sick sucks.

wow... what a good explanation.

pandaroo
01-14-2008, 10:41 PM
I couldnt use my voice for two weeks but I think it was from the impromptu dance party in the parking lot while waiting for traffic after Rage- 1hr half of inhaling dust. it was worth it.

Memorial_07
01-17-2008, 08:07 PM
walking to the actual festival grounds makes it very dusty
that may be why

ferrywayes
09-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Hey
I am not understand what is the discussing point?
some body talking about Coachella Flu mean virus infection and some talked about Coachella valley music, Art Festival,

CalmerThanYou
09-16-2009, 09:05 PM
I normally get really sick after the festival...i cant figure out why

serena
10-17-2009, 05:27 AM
It's not really surprising at all, considering all the dust you'll get to sniff there. =)

Grant
10-17-2009, 06:33 AM
Well, I remember this year when we heard the people who were spraying water around to keep the dust down to not walk through it barefoot. So that water probably has something in it... I'm thinking sewage runoff?

heyeric
10-18-2009, 03:56 PM
^ yes.... and people drink that water, SOOO GROSSS