PDA

View Full Version : Why so many RATM Haters?

COAFELLA
05-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I keep reading how RATM ruined a lot of peoples experiences this year at coachella. Somehow this festival, for some people, holds this weird underlying tone that coachella is meant to be some kind of hippy free love continuation of woodstock that should only have performances by indie, mellow, hip, and/or up and coming bands/performers. What makes people think this sort of shit? Because its out in the desert and they offer camping? Some of theses folks seem to think that coachella belongs to them and only them and should reflect their ideals. Hmmm...What everyone seems to forget is that RATM was one of the first headliners from the very first coachella and has helped Coachella be what it is today. What? You think AIR or Damien Rice helped make this a 3 day festival? It's because of some of these harder rock oriented bands like RATM, TOOL (also an early performer) and NIN that some of the smaller bands can play.

Its wierd to me how in some peoples minds this festival is supposed to be something more than a major Rock show. Its a major festival with a few exhibitions to keep the people who are tripping on acid or x occupied in between sets. Thats it. Why else would the promoters keep inviting these hard rock acts back? Whats great about coachella is that it offers a little something for everybody to enjoy. And while I understand that some of the RATM fans can be a little crazy I also understand that not all the fans act this way. I'm sure you can find a bunch of drunk and high assholes at a Sheryl Crow concert. So please stop making Coachella something bigger than it is.

gaypalmsprings
05-02-2007, 04:31 PM
RATM is just a gimmick act. They make you beleive they are thoughtful, but it's all about $$. Orginally they were doing just Coachella. Then 3 RTB concerts. Now 4 RTB concerts. They are in demand, they have a product. They aren't about music, they are about capitalism.

Mr.Nipples
05-02-2007, 04:32 PM
because they can...

faxman75
05-02-2007, 04:33 PM
I keep reading how RATM ruined a lot of peoples experiences this year at coachella. Somehow this festival, for some people, holds this weird underlying tone that coachella is meant to be some kind of hippy free love continuation of woodstock that should only have performances by indie, mellow, hip, and/or up and coming bands/performers. What makes people think this sort of shit? Because its out in the desert and they offer camping? Some of theses folks seem to think that coachella belongs to them and only them and should reflect their ideals. Hmmm...What everyone seems to forget is that RATM was one of the first headliners from the very first coachella and has helped Coachella be what it is today. What? You think AIR or Damien Rice helped make this a 3 day festival? It's because of some of these harder rock oriented bands like RATM, TOOL (also an early performer) and NIN that some of the smaller bands can play.

These people you speak of are moronic, idiot tools. This same nagging and complaingin has always gone on. People bitched and moaned about Madonna, then they bitched and moaned about Tool, they even bitched and moaned about Bjork the first time around. People just like to bitch and moan.
I am glad Rage played and it was fun to watch them and even more fun to watch their fans make spectacle of themeselves.

Its wierd to me how in some peoples minds this festival is supposed to be something more than a major Rock show. Its a major festival with a few exhibitions to keep the people who are tripping on acid or x occupied in between sets. Thats it. Why else would the promoters keep inviting these hard rock acts back? Whats great about coachella is that it offers a little something for everybody to enjoy. And while I understand that some of the RATM fans can be a little crazy I also understand that not all the fans act this way. I'm sure you can find a bunch of drunk and high assholes at a Sheryl Crow concert. So please stop making Coachella something bigger than it is.

You get it. It's just a few prententious california rich kids who think they should have the final say on the lineup.

scottierock
05-03-2007, 12:55 AM
I love the fact you compared Rage fans to Sheryl Crow fans.

roberto73
05-03-2007, 01:41 AM

These people you speak of are moronic, idiot tools. This same nagging and complaingin has always gone on. People bitched and moaned about Madonna, then they bitched and moaned about Tool, they even bitched and moaned about Bjork the first time around. People just like to bitch and moan.
I am glad Rage played and it was fun to watch them and even more fun to watch their fans make spectacle of themeselves.

You get it. It's just a few prententious california rich kids who think they should have the final say on the lineup.

No, actually it's the two of you who don't get it. Saying that Coachella is just another "major rock show" is extremely cynical, and in direct contradiction to what Coachella's goal was in the first place. It was created to be different; to be an alternative to fratfests like Woodstock '99. It was supposed to be fan-friendly, with an eclectic lineup, affordable water, beautiful location, and positive atmosphere. No one's denying that Goldenvoice has routinely booked aggressive bands, and that's not what people are upset about. If you look at most of the threads, what people are complaining about are the fans who do treat Coachella as just another rock show: the ones who show up on one day for one band; who camp out in front of the main stage all day rather than taking in the myriad of other acts available; who complain about not knowing anyone else who's playing; and, as we saw this year, who throw things at other bands and heckle them between songs.

Is it a hippie festival, where you're turned away if you're not wearing tie-dye and reeking of patchouli? Of course not. But what it is, is a festival for people who love music, who wait all year to bake in the desert sun for the chance to catch a multitude of bands spanning a diverse range of genres. I saw part or all of 22 different sets this year, and there were easily a dozen more I had to miss due to scheduling conflicts. That's who the festival is designed for, and as someone who's been at Coachella since '99, you'd better believe I feel I have a personal stake in the festival's longevity and success.

The problem is that more and more people are going who share coafella's attitude that it's just another show, and that attitude was really permeating the Polo Fields this year. That's what the people who love this festival are upset about. They, like I, feel protective of this weekend oasis, and don't want to see it ruined by people who aren't going to treat it respectfully. The fact that Coachella is special, is worth caring for, is something that can possibly change your life is exactly why it's grown the way it has. I'm not sure how loving this festival and what it stands for makes me a "pretentious California rich kid." But if it does, well, at least I'll be in good company with the others who believe the spirit of Coachella is worth fighting for.

DredheadV2.0
05-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Coachella is not just another show, but then again Tool and RATM are not just hard-rock bands. I think both of them are still on-message; Coachella-appropriate. Tool, in fact, is f**king awesome that way.

Is it a band's fault when their fans suck?

Tylerdurden31
05-03-2007, 07:46 AM
No, actually it's the two of you who don't get it. Saying that Coachella is just another "major rock show" is extremely cynical, and in direct contradiction to what Coachella's goal was in the first place. It was created to be different; to be an alternative to fratfests like Woodstock '99. It was supposed to be fan-friendly, with an eclectic lineup, affordable water, beautiful location, and positive atmosphere. No one's denying that Goldenvoice has routinely booked aggressive bands, and that's not what people are upset about. If you look at most of the threads, what people are complaining about are the fans who do treat Coachella as just another rock show: the ones who show up on one day for one band; who camp out in front of the main stage all day rather than taking in the myriad of other acts available; who complain about not knowing anyone else who's playing; and, as we saw this year, who throw things at other bands and heckle them between songs.

Is it a hippie festival, where you're turned away if you're not wearing tie-dye and reeking of patchouli? Of course not. But what it is, is a festival for people who love music, who wait all year to bake in the desert sun for the chance to catch a multitude of bands spanning a diverse range of genres. I saw part or all of 22 different sets this year, and there were easily a dozen more I had to miss due to scheduling conflicts. That's who the festival is designed for, and as someone who's been at Coachella since '99, you'd better believe I feel I have a personal stake in the festival's longevity and success.

The problem is that more and more people are going who share coafella's attitude that it's just another show, and that attitude was really permeating the Polo Fields this year. That's what the people who love this festival are upset about. They, like I, feel protective of this weekend oasis, and don't want to see it ruined by people who aren't going to treat it respectfully. The fact that Coachella is special, is worth caring for, is something that can possibly change your life is exactly why it's grown the way it has. I'm not sure how loving this festival and what it stands for makes me a "pretentious California rich kid." But if it does, well, at least I'll be in good company with the others who believe the spirit of Coachella is worth fighting for.

bravo

psychic friend
05-03-2007, 08:16 AM
bravo

ditto

coolbeans
05-03-2007, 08:28 AM

I went for the one day primarily to see RATM (having travelled from Scotland for a week long holiday). I also caught Air, Willie Nelson and Placebo. I had an utterly fantastic day. I didn't get in anyones face, i was respectful to the land we were on and the people around me. Why shouldn't I be allowed to show up for one band/one day provided i don't ruin the experience for anyone else? I've camped at several 3 day festivals in the UK, but the presence of one day ticket holders has never bothered me as I'm usually more concerned about whether I'm having fun, as opposed to WHY other people have showed up.

Was my mere presence at Coachella that offensive to you? If that's the case, then I'm sorry, but that isn't going to stop me going back next year for just the one day, should another huge band i'm a fan of decide to play there. I'd rather spend those two days sightseeing in country i've never visited before, than spend them seeing a bunch of bands i'm not really all that fussed about seeing. We all have our reasons for going to a festival. I'll let you get on with yours, if you do the same for me.

coolbeans
05-03-2007, 08:31 AM
For the record, it's just your "the ones who show up on one day for one band" line that irks me. The rest of your rant I can understand.

faxman75
05-03-2007, 08:50 AM
No, actually it's the two of you who don't get it. Saying that Coachella is just another "major rock show" is extremely cynical, and in direct contradiction to what Coachella's goal was in the first place. It was created to be different; to be an alternative to fratfests like Woodstock '99. It was supposed to be fan-friendly, with an eclectic lineup, affordable water, beautiful location, and positive atmosphere.

I agree with this so I guess according to you I DO get it.

No one's denying that Goldenvoice has routinely booked aggressive bands, and that's not what people are upset about. If you look at most of the threads, what people are complaining about are the fans who do treat Coachella as just another rock show: the ones who show up on one day for one band; who camp out in front of the main stage all day rather than taking in the myriad of other acts available; who complain about not knowing anyone else who's playing; and, as we saw this year, who throw things at other bands and heckle them between songs.

You are talking about several different things here. First of all there is nothing at all wrong with people who want to camp out in front of any stage to be close. I don't think GoldenVoice or anyone else cares if people camp in front of the stage to catch their favorite act. Fans that are neandrathals and obnoxious and throw things at the stage are another story. No one is condoning that sort of activity the same with the heckling.

Again I agree but I don't see any issues regarding the fests future. There were some bonehead fans. That's life. Kick them out when they act like boneheads.

The problem is that more and more people are going who share coafella's attitude that it's just another show, and that attitude was really permeating the Polo Fields this year.

Maybe a little on day 3 but I didn't sense some overwhelming change in atmosphere. It was the save fest I had been going to for 3 years now. In fact it keeps getting better if you ask me. I had a fantastic time this year. It's gotten better each and every year i've done it. I love this fest! I get excited a year in advance and no one has ruined my good time.

That's what the people who love this festival are upset about. They, like I, feel protective of this weekend oasis, and don't want to see it ruined by people who aren't going to treat it respectfully. The fact that Coachella is special, is worth caring for, is something that can possibly change your life is exactly why it's grown the way it has. I'm not sure how loving this festival and what it stands for makes me a "pretentious California rich kid." But if it does, well, at least I'll be in good company with the others who believe the spirit of Coachella is worth fighting for.

Well you obviously took what we were saying and turned into an entirely different discussion. You said you see the people bitching about those who show up for one band on one day. I'm talking about the people who keep bitching about goldenvoice having headliners like Rage, Tool, Madoona and anyone else that is going to draw rude fans. I never called YOU a pretentious California rich kid, you decided to read what I wrote and identify with it enough to respond. I think the prententious California rich kids are the ones who rip one band over another or bitch and moan about specific acts that are signed to the festival. I think it's stupid to moan and complain about what bands are here, over and over and over.

While your speech was nice and touching I don't think I disagreed with a whole lot of it. I think as YOU stated we are talking about two different animals.

faxman75
05-03-2007, 08:52 AM
For the record, it's just your "the ones who show up on one day for one band" line that irks me. The rest of your rant I can understand.

See, and for the records it's just the assholes who heckle, throw things, and that are generally rude that irk me.

betao
05-03-2007, 09:56 AM
I see no problem at all with attending a festival for one band that you want to see. Might not seem too smart financially (nearly 90 bucks for one band?), so get your money's worth and check some other bands out.

As for people "camping" at the front of stages to get a good spot for their favorite band, thats fine too. But you'd better be respectful of the bands preceding yours. No booing or throwing stuff - that's just immature and downright disrespectful. No one needs that.

Glamour Damaged
05-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Rage was at the first Coachella. Your "oasis". Im not a Rage fan, but Rage fans were there FROM THE BEGINING. I agree with SOME of COFELLA and SOME of roberto73. I too believe that most people, like I, go who love music, who wait all year to bake in the desert sun for the chance to catch a multitude of bands spanning a diverse range of genres. I go for that reason. HOWEVER, every year there will be fans of that one headliner, like Rage, who are only going for that reason. ITS ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY. Rage was there from the begining and so were their fans. But, I think the more years people attend, the more "snobbier" they get cause Coachella becomes close to their heart. So I agree with both sides...

nickzor2
05-03-2007, 02:32 PM
It might not necessarily be the band itself but rather the fans that are associated with them. I know I was pissed off seeing the meathead jocks running around wearing their designer RAGE shirts (or no shirts at all) and then throwing sh*t at Crowded House all while complaining about how RAGE should just stop making political comments and just play their music (which is completely political to begin with). I am a huge RAGE fan- hell I waited all day in the front rows and withstood the pit- but I'll admit I am sometimes embarrased to tell people that I am a RAGE fan because of the type described above who are usually associated with the band.

faxman75
05-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Rage was at the first Coachella. Your "oasis". Im not a Rage fan, but Rage fans were there FROM THE BEGINING. I agree with SOME of COFELLA and SOME of roberto73. I too believe that most people, like I, go who love music, who wait all year to bake in the desert sun for the chance to catch a multitude of bands spanning a diverse range of genres. I go for that reason. HOWEVER, every year there will be fans of that one headliner, like Rage, who are only going for that reason. ITS ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY. Rage was there from the begining and so were their fans. But, I think the more years people attend, the more "snobbier" they get cause Coachella becomes close to their heart. So I agree with both sides...

Bravo! :)

joebizz
05-03-2007, 08:32 PM
God, I swear I cannot look at this message board after this weekend without the wind in my sails being sucked out!
I had a fucking blast. I was there all three days. I saw everything I wanted to see, and I came away with the same feeling I have every single year I've been. (6th, by the way) MIND BLOWN!
I saw everything from D.J. Heather rocking the tent, to Peeping Tom blowing my mind, Brazilian Girls flipping me the fuck out,to Gotan Project blissfully sending me to a beautiful place, to LCD begging my legs to not give out, to my favorite band of all time, Rage, making me feel 10 years younger.
I understand there was some jackasses in the crowd sat. night, but I did not let it ruin my time. I got as close as I could, and saw the meathead idiots getting ready to go off, so I just moved away. Just like Dane Cook said,"if you walk near a bush, and hear a bunch of bees buzzing, ya know, get away from that bush!" I was by myself, having lost all my friends hours ago, and randomly met some great Rage fans in the crowd.(keep in mind, I kept my distance, as I'm sure most old school fans did, as we are pushing 30) I met some girl named Karen, I think.(if you are out there, holla at your boy!) who was just as exited as I was to see them live. And like me, was RESPECTFUL of the people around us. We just rocked out, all smiles, all positive.
Some guy behind us even commented to us during the encore break that he loved the fact that we had so much energy, and knew every word to the songs. I had the time of my life, and all the haters out there who had a bad experience, I am truly sorry, but you were in the wrong place in the crowd.
I just wish people would stop over analyzing the whole thing. It was what I hoped it would be, and so much more. Thank you Goldenvoice for an amazing experience!

coolbeans
05-04-2007, 05:33 AM
I just wish people would stop over analyzing the whole thing.

Bravo!

clarky123
05-04-2007, 06:00 AM
RATM This was the wrong choice of headline band

rebel86
05-04-2007, 02:19 PM
RATM is just a gimmick act. They make you beleive they are thoughtful, but it's all about $$. Orginally they were doing just Coachella. Then 3 RTB concerts. Now 4 RTB concerts. They are in demand, they have a product. They aren't about music, they are about capitalism.

Bullshit. We all aren't a bunch of Interpol/Mika disco queens- some of us care about catering to progressive change in America and using art mediums (music included) to bring awareness and to incite that change. hell yes Rage is in demand- System of a Down stepped down, Rage stepped back up, and they are needed. They're kicking ass and I'm very proud of that. I'm gonna catch them at Rock The Bells as well. For all of the Rage haters, get over your fucking selves, and go back to playing with your glitter and and tight hipster pants.

rebel86
05-04-2007, 02:22 PM
When i hear "Rage fans" I mostly think of people of color in the Latino community, and then others because that's how they were introduced to me, from within the Latino community. The Mano Chao crowd, was something similar to what i expected for rage fans, except not most of the people being so fucking tall and big in size.

faxman75
05-04-2007, 02:49 PM
How exactly did Rage step back up? I would think a band that preaches about social change and had been absent during the entire Bush administration to present would have had something important to say or wanted to be effective in some way but instead we got the same tired government sucks speach.

Yawn.....

marooko
05-04-2007, 03:05 PM
I went for the one day primarily to see RATM (having travelled from Scotland for a week long holiday). I also caught Air, Willie Nelson and Placebo. I had an utterly fantastic day. I didn't get in anyones face, i was respectful to the land we were on and the people around me. Why shouldn't I be allowed to show up for one band/one day provided i don't ruin the experience for anyone else? I've camped at several 3 day festivals in the UK, but the presence of one day ticket holders has never bothered me as I'm usually more concerned about whether I'm having fun, as opposed to WHY other people have showed up.

Was my mere presence at Coachella that offensive to you? If that's the case, then I'm sorry, but that isn't going to stop me going back next year for just the one day, should another huge band i'm a fan of decide to play there. I'd rather spend those two days sightseeing in country i've never visited before, than spend them seeing a bunch of bands i'm not really all that fussed about seeing. We all have our reasons for going to a festival. I'll let you get on with yours, if you do the same for me.

YOU ARE FREAKING AWESOME!!! i hope you had a good time. was thier set un-freaking-believable or what?!?!

marooko
05-04-2007, 03:09 PM
How exactly did Rage step back up? I would think a band that preaches about social change and had been absent during the entire Bush administration to present would have had something important to say or wanted to be effective in some way but instead we got the same tired government sucks speach.

Yawn.....
um. did you miss thier set? have you ever listened to thier lyrics? if that isnt enough im pretty sure he gave a little speech about our problems not being just this administration or not just every 4 yrs.. thats right you must have missed it because to you thats where all our problems come from. BUSH. Not clinton not nixon not carter. just bush. shave yours. problem solved.

marooko
05-04-2007, 03:13 PM

was it 76' when the stones did their free show? that was for the music and the fans. everyone that charges brings in names to make a profit. capitolism. HELLLLLOOOOOOO!!!??? just like a cali rich kid liberal. "im so much better than you are. look at how much i understand things. so much so that i make no sense what-so-ever.

John Peel is My Co-pilot
05-04-2007, 07:49 PM
I see no problem at all with attending a festival for one band that you want to see. Might not seem too smart financially (nearly 90 bucks for one band?), so get your money's worth and check some other bands out.

As for people "camping" at the front of stages to get a good spot for their favorite band, thats fine too. But you'd better be respectful of the bands preceding yours. No booing or throwing stuff - that's just immature and downright disrespectful. No one needs that.

"Fuck you, I won't do what you tell me!!!"

bwheeler
05-16-2007, 12:51 AM

I agree. I also feel that "Rage Fans" get a lot of shit. When in the crowd at the main stage, the only people who were disrespectful to anyone were some douche-bag Australians who pushed and shoved their way, drunk, past lots of people to see Crowded House. They didn't ask to get by, and one of them elbowed guys, girls, whoever, just to get closer. I felt that they were more disrespectful than anyone else.
Artists need to gauge their audience, and promoters need to pay more attention to which bands are playing on what stages. I agree that it is an eclectic show, but having an 80's pop band basically opening for RATM is suicide.

Ulesmang
06-11-2007, 11:40 PM
I agree. I also feel that "Rage Fans" get a lot of shit. When in the crowd at the main stage, the only people who were disrespectful to anyone were some douche-bag Australians who pushed and shoved their way, drunk, past lots of people to see Crowded House. They didn't ask to get by, and one of them elbowed guys, girls, whoever, just to get closer. I felt that they were more disrespectful than anyone else.
Artists need to gauge their audience, and promoters need to pay more attention to which bands are playing on what stages. I agree that it is an eclectic show, but having an 80's pop band basically opening for RATM is suicide.

"hey now, hey now, don't dream its over.":rolleyes
what a scheduling mistake, when i heard that the singer got jacked by a water bottle i never laughed so hard in my life. they coulda have put just about anything before rage and it would've gone better. they should have put Jose Gonzalez(sp?) on before but whatever. im sorry if some rowdy people invaded your security bubble. but there are other people in this world. if anything was a disappointment it was air coming on over half an hour late only to play 3 or so songs. quit your whining.

Deviate_420
06-12-2007, 08:00 AM

You have a great sig. One of the Better quotes on this board......

greenplastic875
06-14-2007, 08:26 PM
"hey now, hey now, don't dream its over.":rolleyes
what a scheduling mistake, when i heard that the singer got jacked by a water bottle i never laughed so hard in my life. they coulda have put just about anything before rage and it would've gone better. they should have put Jose Gonzalez(sp?) on before but whatever. im sorry if some rowdy people invaded your security bubble. but there are other people in this world. if anything was a disappointment it was air coming on over half an hour late only to play 3 or so songs. quit your whining.

and yet you still fuel the stereotype. bravo young man!