PDA

View Full Version : Camping like a player.

lush6
05-01-2007, 09:14 PM
We camped in 2005, and were terribly under-prepared. We had a hotel this year, and it was a little too expensive. Next year, I have a lot of neat ideas, many of which were inspired directly from the energy exhibit this year:

1. Solar oven
Cook good shit without having to use stoves! A properly made solar cooker can reach temperatures of up 300 degrees, which is suitable for boiling water, slow cooking, and even baking. They are also shit-easy to build from a cardboard box and tinfoil. There is also no way it could catch fire because it simply can't get that hot. Worked like a charm in boy scouts.

2. Solar panel battery charger
A solar panel and a car battery would enable you to run stuff like fans, phone chargers, camera chargers, computer chargers, and anything else for a few days. Simply let the battery charge during the day at the festival, and it would probably be enough juice for what you need at night.

3. 12v powered fans
Simply install one of these bad chickens at the top of the tent to blow air out all night, and each morning you won't be up at 6 because of the heat.

4. AC unit
This is a bit overboard, but it would be neat to get a small AC unit to run for short periods of time. They can require a LOT of power, so it may not be economical.

5. A big shade over the tent
Keeping the sun out of the tent in the morning and afternoon would help the heat issue a LOT. You could go so far as collapsing the tent during the day, or even making the shade out of reflective material like a survival blanket.

6. Cell phone antenna extender
This might be slightly frivolous, but you could theoretically rig up one of those cell antenna extenders made from coax cable and a coffee can, point it in the vicinity of the nearest desert cell tower, and have excellent reception in your campsite.

Couple that stuff with a comfortable mattress, pillows, a cooler with lots of ice, water, and you've got a formidable desert oasis. The bitches will race to your tent to stare lovingly at your penis while saying what a rockstar you are. Also, if the tent is big enough, you could fit a bunch of people inside and keep the cost of the luxury pretty low. Another idea I had was to find out a way to rig up a solar-powered Peltier cooling unit to keep the ice in the cooler from melting, but that might be a little far fetched and consume too much energy.

Imagine a nice cool tent, a hot fresh meal, ice cold water, and a comfy place to sleep, all at a minimal cost.

JustSteve
05-01-2007, 10:53 PM
you know you could stay 20 minutes away for about $80 a room per night, right?

Prongs
05-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Yeah, but "roughing it" is so much more fun. Especially if you do it "like a player", ha ha.

lush6
05-01-2007, 11:55 PM
you know you could stay 20 minutes away for about $80 a room per night, right?
Yes, I am aware of that. However, the commute was kinda weak, and as Prongs said, camping is just more fun! ... Especially if you're camping in style like a player. Plus, you'd still have to rent a car or organize a ride each day if you are 20 minutes away. With this idea, you just need to organize a ride to the campsite and back. Of course, the equipment and cooling devices would have to fit in a small box that is easily transported.

Besides, which is more impressive: An $80 hotel room, or a luxurious campsite?!

DeltaSigChi4
05-01-2007, 11:58 PM
It wasn't hot at 7A this year. It was actually relatively cold.

FYI.

E

miscorrections
05-01-2007, 11:58 PM
it was fucking cold around 3-5 am every morning. 5-7 was decent. 7 and later was hot. for me, at least.

lush6
05-02-2007, 01:02 AM
I actually have a lot of trouble sleeping if the temperature is above 80 degrees since I've lived in Alaska most my life. I like it nice and cold at night, with a big blanket on top. If you say it was nice from 5-7am, I guess I would have to include a circuit timer that would turn the fan on around 8 or so. Shit, I could even make a temperature controlled fan! It would be pretty easy, just an electronic thermometer and a variable resistor. It would adjust the voltage to the fan depending on the temperature, allowing it to maintain a constant temperature. Basically, a thermostat. How cool would that be?!

I found this link, which is basically like a large scale CPU liquid cooler. It could be easily modified to work with a drink cooler and small 12v fan: http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/%7Egmilburn/ac/geoff_ac.html

Rig this fan to cool the air in the tent, and another fan to blow hot air out the top of the tent. Awesome!