PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else partially lost hearing?

rebel86
04-30-2007, 10:09 AM
I was up front for the Chili Peppers and Rage, and the ringing (or constant swoosh, like an infinite ocean) is still occuring in my ears, and I can't hear too well. I hope this goes away soon, anyone els is experiencing this?

Pixiessp
04-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Not from RCHP or Rage but from Hot Chip. I was right in front of the speakers.
It was brutal. They were sooo loud but fantastic.

daniel
04-30-2007, 10:26 AM
blah... you guys should know better.... if you like music you should value your hearing... and should always wear ear plugs to concerts.

DeltaSigChi4
04-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Is this your first concert?

Daniel is right. If you're not a moron, and if this is not your first concert -- I'd have to say you are one, you'd wear earplugs. Noise reducers. The music is still loud with the plugs in, so I can only imagine what you did to your hearing.

E

theburiedlife
04-30-2007, 10:43 AM
I only abuse my ear drums to bands I really want to hear.
Others bands.... Not so much.

Pixiessp
04-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Is this your first concert?

Daniel is right. If you're not a moron, and if this is not your first concert -- I'd have to say you are one, you'd wear earplugs. Noise reducers. The music is still loud with the plugs in, so I can only imagine what you did to your hearing.

E

Not first concert....not a moron. Just never been so close to speakers before.
It just happened to have made my way in to the front by the speakers and
could not move any further away.
I know all about earplugs Delta and yes I should have worn a pair.
My hearing is just fine now. It's my shoulder that hurts.
But that's another story.

DeltaSigChi4
04-30-2007, 11:06 AM
I only abuse my ear drums to bands I really want to hear.

Same here. I was so drenched for AF that my earplugs just came out of my ears. I never bothered to insert another pair. I took them off entirely for EITS, and for some parts of Arctic Monkeys and Interpol on Friday.

Pixies: I offered earplugs to several people I noticed that might have needed. Interestingly enough, I had to takers. Maybe they thought that taking earplugs in a bag from a stranger was dangerous. Same people who don't twice about popping in an unknown pill that is supposed to be "e", or accepting drugs from complete strangers.

E

TheGlassPrison
04-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Infected Mushroom got loud as hell at times, during the buildups when izen would have the snares loops at like 90000bpm, shit was intense.

fober
04-30-2007, 06:34 PM
http://www.ahsafety.com/images/products/295.jpg

cazzopazzo
04-30-2007, 06:48 PM
front of tiesto!!!! my left jaw still hurts to open it. i can finally eat!!!!! yeah!!!!! coachella!!!! you gotta fucking love it. or leave it, seriously.

MusicIsMyBoyfriend
04-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Yeah, I was too close to the speakers for Klaxons and when they opened with The Bouncer my ears got all messed up. I couldn't hear properly for about an hour afterward.

suprefan
04-30-2007, 07:02 PM
EARPLUGS PEOPLE, man I dont know how you guys dont learn this lesson yet. Dont get mad if you are deaf by age 35.

bot73
04-30-2007, 08:00 PM
I can't believe no one has said this yet: What?

GTI_GRL
04-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Infected Mushroom got loud as hell at times, during the buildups when izen would have the snares loops at like 90000bpm, shit was intense.

Yes, but damn they were amazing.

GTI_GRL
04-30-2007, 08:27 PM
I can't believe no one has said this yet: What?

huh? Did you say something?

Agent Orange
04-30-2007, 08:30 PM
I learned my lesson after Faithless! I was right in front of the speakers!

MarkO
05-01-2007, 09:16 PM
EARPLUGS PEOPLE, man I dont know how you guys dont learn this lesson yet. Dont get mad if you are deaf by age 35.

I'm 33 and have to seriously care for my hearing now after years of not doing so. I put plugs in as soon as I entered the entrance each day and never took them out till I walked out.

miscorrections
05-01-2007, 09:18 PM
i had earplugs but was too lazy/retarded to put them in. as of last night my ears were still ringing, but they weren't today.
earplugs fo sho next year.

ashtraygrl
05-01-2007, 09:55 PM
i got really bad tenitus(sp) from a show when i was 14. i had ringing in my ears for 3 days straight. i could barely sleep. i've worn earplugs to every show and club ever since. sometimes people laugh, but whatever, at least i can still hear. also, i swear i hear the music BETTER with them in. also, your hearing is not "just fine" now. the damage that occurs when you get those kinds of side effects is permanent. the ringing/whooshing may subside or stop completely, but you're more deaf now than you were before. that's how most people go deaf... gradualy.

suprefan
05-01-2007, 10:14 PM
I'm 33 and have to seriously care for my hearing now after years of not doing so. I put plugs in as soon as I entered the entrance each day and never took them out till I walked out.

I put mine in when I watched the first act on my shcedule and then maybe took them out if I had a break.

And considering how loud it was this year, DO NOT get plugs that are rated anything less than 28db reduction. I had a diff pair I wore on Saturay that were 24db reduction and it was loud as hell. Sunday I got it right and had my others but shoot be careful when you buy em and get decent ones. I am going to find this site that sells some good custom ones for a decent price.

lowfront
05-01-2007, 10:30 PM
ear plugs make music sound like fucking shit

Do yourself a favor and buy these bad ass plugs.

Best investment I have ever made......

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

JustSteve
05-01-2007, 10:32 PM
i have used the hearos high fidelity earplugs for a few months now and they are amazing. i have a pair of custom plugs that cost me hundreds of dollars, but these do an awesome job and only cost about $15! everyone i have met raves about them, as well. the one drawback is only 12db of reduction, but that is usually good enough for me.

check them out here:
http://www.hearos.com/products-00211.htm

read a review here:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=92595&g=live

lowfront
05-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Ya they are the same thing as the er20's

JustSteve
05-01-2007, 10:41 PM
the other ones i use from time to time are these, reduction of 26db:
http://www.hearos.com/products-00309.htm

CoolGuy105
05-01-2007, 11:18 PM
My ears were ringing like heck after Arctic Monkeys, though stopped after a few minutes. If they got bad anytime after that, I was too focused on other things to notice.

Prongs
05-01-2007, 11:34 PM
I think I have weird shaped ears or something, I can never get earplugs to stay in. Maybe I'm just stupid and don't know how to put them in or something.

rebel86
05-02-2007, 10:35 AM
The only time I had access to anything similar to earplugs was when I saw the noissettes and a guy standing near me offered it to me when he saw that i kept covering my right ear. Honestly, my mind was focused on like 8,000 other things like, managing my expenses for the food, set times, and whatever that earplugs were the last thing I thought about until i saw the noisettes. After that, my ears were fine for every other band, even when i was front and center for the main-stage
Other parts of my body hurted a lot more- like my feet for standing for hours, and my body from the mosh pits.
But my ears didn't really become a problem again until after Rage, and the ringing didn't go away really until last night. But next time I'll take it into consideration. Doesn't mean I'm retarded or anything. Just mean I had other priorities or obviosuly wasn't thinking about it because it didn't bother me for the moment.

amyzzz
05-02-2007, 10:47 AM
We bought a box of 80 pairs of earplugs months ago in anticipation of Coachella. We brought all of them with us and put quite a few in our backpack so that if we lost any, we'd still have a zillion back-ups. It worked great.

JustSteve
05-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Just mean I had other priorities or obviosuly wasn't thinking about it because it didn't bother me for the moment.

other priorities? like what? staring at the stage? ahh, kids...never planning for the future. do you really wanna hear ringing in your ears THE REST OF YOUR LIFE? tinnitus is not somehting to fuck around with. once the damage is done it is not reversable. they say something like 20 minutes of straight 120 decibel sound can do permanent damage...and most rock shows are well above that limit.

Wrainy
05-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Earplugs are key. If you don't wear them at shows than you are asking for it.

fatbastard
05-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Johnny can't help you.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/Mar-08-Mon-2004/photos/cochran.jpg

gaypalmsprings
05-02-2007, 03:18 PM
http://www.code-interactive.com/thinker/ART/huh.jpg

GTI_GRL
05-02-2007, 08:04 PM
I got the 33 db ones last year and got them again this year. I wore them when I was sleeping in the camp grounds and I didn't hear shit that was going on.

Not Afraid
05-02-2007, 08:12 PM
My hearing after Coachella was fine. Then I went to see Sloan at the Troubadour last night. Eh?

Boourns
05-02-2007, 08:23 PM
I wore earplugs for most sets this year. Probably too late because I never really wore them before. They always bothered my ears. But I guess that's better than going deaf, eh?