PDA

View Full Version : Manu Chau

barrett90
04-30-2007, 03:33 AM

prison sex
04-30-2007, 04:33 AM
I thought he was amazing. But then again I am Mexican.

I did notice the bassist had the same bassline for a couple songs. But the guitars were amazing, you didn't have to understand spanish to appreciate that.

shawnzypants
04-30-2007, 06:17 AM
Oh yes. The Mexi-Cans.

Could you be any more obnoxious, or overtly racist?

rebel86
04-30-2007, 06:23 AM
Did anyone else think he (they?) was terrible? Each song had an into part and then they'd go into that same guitar riff and repetitive drumming on each song, while people chanted yayaya or whatever the hell. by about the 10th time they did this I wanted to kill myself, everyone around me was booing or yawning or checking their cell phones, except for the Mexicans, who seemed to love it and sang along. I thought it was a terrible act for the main stage and especially right before Rage.

Racist
And obviously must have forgot Rage's ethnicity.

gaypalmsprings
04-30-2007, 06:32 AM
I thought he was good, though unoriginal. I didn't care for his anti-Bush song. I am anti-Bush, but I want to have fun at Coachella, not hear political speeches or songs.

CiderMouseRules
04-30-2007, 07:47 AM
Did anyone else think he (they?) was terrible? Each song had an into part and then they'd go into that same guitar riff and repetitive drumming on each song, while people chanted yayaya or whatever the hell. by about the 10th time they did this I wanted to kill myself, everyone around me was booing or yawning or checking their cell phones, except for the Mexicans, who seemed to love it and sang along. I thought it was a terrible act for the main stage and especially right before Rage.

Man, you didn't get it. Same ethnicity, same politics as rage.

jimmycrackcorn
04-30-2007, 07:50 AM
i knew nothing about this band but ROCKED out to their first four songs... i thought they were great but i speak limited spanish so could only understand a few songs... the reggae/punk/ska arrangement fit in well and got lots of people into it and past the language barrier

SwedishBastard
04-30-2007, 08:14 AM
They were fucking amazing. I dont like their cds but that live set was great.

DeltaSigChi4
04-30-2007, 08:39 AM
I thought he was good, though unoriginal. I didn't care for his anti-Bush song. I am anti-Bush, but I want to have fun at Coachella, not hear political speeches or songs.

There is more going on in the world than Coachella, you know.

And you can always walk right away if you don't agree with artists speaking their mind. It's ridiculous that you, or anyone else, singles out Manu Chau about political speeches or songs when at least dozens of acts I saw had political speeches or songs.

E

rebel86
04-30-2007, 08:45 AM

Dude, then like why even be there. it was like that all day Sunday with most bands/artist.
And it was Rage day!

ADGZ662
04-30-2007, 08:46 AM
He was amazing lots of energy but at that point where I was in the crowd it was fuckin intense with all the RAGE fans rushing to the front but it was a good vibe & everyone was into it.

CiderMouseRules
04-30-2007, 10:58 AM
I thought they were terrific. There were tons of non-fans moved to dance all the way in the back.

barrett90
04-30-2007, 11:13 AM

shawnzypants
04-30-2007, 11:18 AM
The Mexicans.

"Look! It's a group of The Blacks!"
"Look! It's a group of the Japs!"
"Look! It's a group of the Mexicans!"

It may not have been intentional, but when you refer to a race of people with the word The in front, it sounds like you're classifying everyone because of that. It's a bit offensive.

But I understand that you probably didn't mean it intentionally.

barrett90
04-30-2007, 11:20 AM

Omar1
04-30-2007, 11:22 AM
haha Manu Chao was great, the crowd sucked, but he was great.

shawnzypants
04-30-2007, 11:25 AM
People from Mexico (me) consider themselves Mexican. Just because the American government classifies everyone below their borders of a darker skin color Hispanic, doesn't mean that THAT'S not offensive in itself. Cubans aren't Mexicans, Dominicans aren't Mexicans, despite what you think.

Canada is a terrible analogy. Try again.

barrett90
04-30-2007, 11:43 AM
ddd

CiderMouseRules
04-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Are you a Mexi-can, or a Mexi-can't?

woogie846
04-30-2007, 12:51 PM
I had never really heard Manu Chao before, but I was really impressed.

manorastroman
04-30-2007, 12:59 PM
they were fine but the drumming got fucking annoying after awhile

frijolesdelaolla
04-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Im mexican and im not offended if im refered to as "the mexican". Anyway, THE MEXICANS love Manu Chao to a point that annoys me. I saw him in Tijuana like, i don't know, 5 or 6 years ago and the show was amazing. I lost interest in him as he got more and more political and started releasing pretty boring and repetitive albums. Last night, his set was very energetic and different from his usual live set, and i appreciated it.

Maybe you would get Manu Chao if you understand who the man is, he fronted Mano Negra, a french band that was like The Clash fro latin people. So, he's like the french/spanish Joe Strummer. Now you get it?

SojuGorae
04-30-2007, 01:00 PM
I thought they were great. One of the best at Coachella for me. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Boourns
04-30-2007, 01:05 PM
"The Brits loved the Kaiser Chiefs"

OMG! RACIST!

Martyparty
05-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Dude, Manu Chao kicked serious ass, they played a really awesome set

But if you're not of any Hispanic descent or don't know what they're saying, then I can guess why you wouldn't like them, haha. But they were SERIOUS.

whytee
05-01-2007, 12:38 PM
never heard him before and will never listen to him again...the only reason i suffered through his shit was to keep my spot for rage...

I'm Rosetta Stoned
05-01-2007, 12:39 PM
They were my unexpected great band of the festival. They were the perfect band to go on before RAGE. Great intensity level and kept that crazy crowd entertained..

instinct
05-01-2007, 05:14 PM
I walked over and caught his last 2 or 3 songs (after leaving air, because they came on so late, I wish I would have just been at Manu the whole time)... I thought they rocked it, people around me were annoying and were like "Is this in Spanish?" Holy fuck, it's music, it's not like watching a movie in a foreign language and you have no idea what's going on. I thought they rocked it (i'm white).. It was really fun.. I wish I would have caught their entire set.

suprefan
05-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Manu Chao was amazing, he was the only band on the entire line up that you could even put before Rage and not have the crowd boo off stage. Would you rather have had Crowded House before them or Manu Chao? I am of latin roots and I loved it that I could understand what he was saying and all that and a lot couldnt. He has a huuuge fan base if nobody figured it out by now. He was another reason Sunday sold out so fast.

godhurtmybutt
05-01-2007, 05:33 PM
This bad was terrible and should not have been on the main stage. I forgot that I was even at coachella. This band should have been in a little tent in the far back so they could have played to the (you know) type people.

instinct
05-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Damn, you guys must have been smoking crack.. because Manu rocked it..

RATMATL420
05-01-2007, 05:57 PM
interest in seeing Manu. He and his band were lame and overall booty.

unknown
05-01-2007, 06:14 PM
It is very interesting to read people's opinions. I am curious to know what bands people did enjoy when they can call Manu Chao & Radio Bemba Sound System "booty" and "terrible". The fusion of ska, reggae, punk and other genres is something I thought everyone would be able to enjoy regardless of what language he sang in. To each his own.

wolfclan
05-01-2007, 06:17 PM
This native american indian/aboriginal/indigenous/first nation (or whatever the heck terms are used) person truly appreciated seeing manu chao live. This was my first coachella and first 3 day concert. i liked that you could put down your towel and lay down anywhere you really wanted to, that's what we indians like to do! hahaha : )

krisskross
05-01-2007, 06:48 PM
manu chao brought the energy. i danced through the whole set. i guess "the americans" wont understand this. y volver volver vooollverrr. he fuckin rocked

deadguy
05-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Ya dudes. Manu Chao was f'in awesome. Made Sunday worth it for me.

Guess all the people I saw dancing like mad would have to disagree with the few posters here :)

Mars1919
05-01-2007, 06:59 PM
I thought that the show was really good. Not the type of music I would typically listen to, but I agree that I didn't need to understand spanish to get the vibe. Unfortunately I had one couple next to me that was basically making love the entire show,,,(kind of awkward).

tucsoncharlie
05-01-2007, 07:00 PM
his version of "Volver" was one of the coolest songs of the festival!

and all the "mexican" remarks are not really necessary. come on...give it a rest o'riley. serious.

grrropo
05-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Im mexican and im not offended if im refered to as "the mexican". Anyway, THE MEXICANS love Manu Chao to a point that annoys me. I saw him in Tijuana like, i don't know, 5 or 6 years ago and the show was amazing. I lost interest in him as he got more and more political and started releasing pretty boring and repetitive albums. Last night, his set was very energetic and different from his usual live set, and i appreciated it.

Maybe you would get Manu Chao if you understand who the man is, he fronted Mano Negra, a french band that was like The Clash fro latin people. So, he's like the french/spanish Joe Strummer. Now you get it?

It was a damn good set. He is very talented.

Sexecutioner
05-01-2007, 08:48 PM
It is very interesting to read people's opinions. I am curious to know what bands people did enjoy when they can call Manu Chao & Radio Bemba Sound System "booty" and "terrible". The fusion of ska, reggae, punk and other genres is something I thought everyone would be able to enjoy regardless of what language he sang in. To each his own.

i completely agree. sometimes i see a show and i think, theres no way that people who come to coachella could not be into that, but never fails that somebody thinks it sucks...i dont get it, but to each his own i guess.

and if you are offended by somebody saying "the mexicans", you need to lighten the fuck up.

Red Ninja
05-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Manu Chao before RATM = Perfection.
Similar ideals transcend different languages.
Pick up Clandistino or Esperanza.
People who hated his set must be lost in translation.

wisconsinboozer
05-01-2007, 09:20 PM
i enjoyed them for never even hearing of them before, i was surrounded by spanish people who sang their little hearts out made the whole Manu experience more enjoyable

SojuGorae
05-01-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm Korean, didn't understand shit, and yet they were one of the highlights of the festival for me.

I'll say it again, they were fan-fucking-tastic.

orbit
05-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I LOVED their set

and I'm not mexican.

orbit
05-01-2007, 09:29 PM
I was waiting for Welcome to Tijuana in the upbeat version tho.. Finish with that song would have been awesome!

thrillho1010
05-01-2007, 09:44 PM
1. Manu Chao rocked the place and did their job in helping the time go by for those of us who were there to see Rage. Yes, they were a little cheezy, but they got people to move. Even I got into it and I'm not exactly what someone would call a willing dancer.
2. You pretty much could have thrown any high energy band out there and they would have looked amazing compared to Crowded House.
3. What does language have to do with music? When you hear a band for the first time, you rarely can pick out any of the lyrics anyway. My favorite band is The Mars Volta, and I can rarely understand what he's saying without looking up the lyrics, and they coincidentally have a couple songs in spanish, which are usually just as good as the others.

PS. I'm Greek.

billtino
05-01-2007, 09:54 PM
i had not heard any of this band's music before their set, but many of the foreigners i met (Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, etc spoke very highly of Manu Chau) and at the end of their set, i was drenched in sweat from dancing the whole time. hot latin babes all around me shakin their hips behind the sound stage....i really enjoyed their performance.

JoeClark5
05-01-2007, 09:57 PM
FYI: manu chao = born in france... to spanish parents. nothing to do with MEEEHHICOOO.

no1cares
05-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Oh yes. The Mexi-Cans.

Are you serious? Racist? What should he/she have said, people of latin descent? Or would that be offensive too? Manu did end almost all their songs the same way; punk rock drums with a bouncing bass line. It got annoying. They were the perfect opener for Rage though. Good energy, just a little too systematic with their songs.

bigc1
05-01-2007, 10:28 PM
i hate to say it, but they were a lot better than Rage. RATM will definitely be better at Rock the Bells.

frijolesdelaolla
05-01-2007, 10:33 PM
FYI: manu chao = born in france... to spanish parents. nothing to do with MEEEHHICOOO.

Yeah, but dude, the man is an honorary mexican. Fucking song about Tj, the free show at El Zocalo, Hermelinda Linda skits in both records, the man deserves it.

"Quieres un cafe mi viiiida?... Pues sirvetelo!" OWNS.

superfiction
05-01-2007, 10:39 PM
i hated it. im throwing thigns at him when he plays before bjork at the gorge

psycobetabuckdown
05-01-2007, 11:20 PM
I waited for Air for half an hour, then my ex-gf convinced me it wasn't worth it. She ended up being right, as I heard Air played about 25 minutes. And I saw Manu Chau kick some fucking ass. I readily passed him over for Air and didn't bother to research him as much as I did other bands beforehand, but ended up loving him. He'll be on my list...

Yeah, but dude, the man is an honorary mexican. Fucking song about Tj, the free show at El Zocalo, Hermelinda Linda skits in both records, the man deserves it.

"Quieres un cafe mi viiiida?... Pues sirvetelo!" OWNS.

Deserves what? Being Mexican? Why would he want to be?

cbrl23
05-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Deserves what? Being Mexican? Why would he want to be?

He loves TJ, he pretty much lived there for a while. He does surprise shows every now and then.

cbrl23
05-02-2007, 12:12 AM
Oh yes. The Mexi-Cans.

Are You Mexican??? If not, don't get offended for us, we are not offended if poeple call us Mexicans. we are Mexicans!!! why is that Racist?

rebel86
05-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Almost being apart of the Latin community, I was aware of Manu Chao prior to the festival, but only knew one of his songs. He really won me over at this show. And as an African-American, I still enjoyed singing along in Spanish.

guatemalo
05-02-2007, 02:04 PM
i saw him YEARS ago and i just wished they had brought the same band they did as before. meaning, where were the rest of the percussionists? horn section? the rasta hype man? the accordion player?

i know the show at the LA Sports Arena (June 2nd) is going to kick ass too but i hope the WHOLE band is here and not just the stripped down punk version.

RADIO BEMBA! RADIO BEMBA!

TheElderCycle
05-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Had never heard them before, and I'm now a new fan. I had a great time during their set. Not to mention the beautiful Mexican women haha!

Omar1
05-02-2007, 02:19 PM
who else is going to the sports arena show? they still have tickets available.

eimie
05-02-2007, 07:25 PM
i saw him YEARS ago and i just wished they had brought the same band they did as before. meaning, where were the rest of the percussionists? horn section? the rasta hype man? the accordion player?

i know the show at the LA Sports Arena (June 2nd) is going to kick ass too but i hope the WHOLE band is here and not just the stripped down punk version.

RADIO BEMBA! RADIO BEMBA!
Sadly, I didn't see the larger version of Radio Bemba at all on his tour last year, whether in San Diego or Lollapalooza. But anyhow, if you liked Manu's set at Coachella, you'll *have* to catch his show at the closest city near you, where the entire crowd goes crazy, as opposed just the pockets of Latinos in the Rage crowd. My friend who came with me to the San Diego show last year and didn't know a drop of Spanish or French, ranked the Manu show among her top concerts. Amazing energy.

lrnikkon
05-04-2007, 08:15 PM
I was waiting for this ever since it was announced. But i have to say i was a bit dissapointed. I would figured he was going to play his most upbeat songs with ska and punk in them.. but he didn't. I have seen him play when he was in Mano Negra and have tickets for the Sports Arena show.. and hopefully he will bring the whole band.

Like someone else said, it would of been the night he would of played "Welcome to Tijuana, Tequila.. .sex and marijuana......

One more thing... im not mexican and he is French....

Geno_g
05-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Closed minded fucks, I thought the energy from the crowd and the band was great, the set was well worth the cochella stage

SubBass49
05-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Hell yeah folks...I have to say that Manu Chao was probably my biggest surprise of the festival this year. All you regulars to Coachella know you usually find some band you didn't expect to like and you instantly have a great experience seeing them live...this was that experience for me this year. Fucking great energy & music...the crowd was so in to it around me...not an angry energy but a happy overjoyed ecstatic energy...I was really impressed by this band. All the haters in the crowd need to kick back and open their minds a bit. Great music is great music, no matter what language it is in...

rideincircles
05-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I didn't expect Manu to rock that hard, most of the stuff I heard is all chill latin music, so I was surprised he came out rocking like that. but considering he's in front of Rage, you better come out rocking. Really Good show.

rage patton
05-05-2007, 12:21 AM
i hated it. im throwing thigns at him when he plays before bjork at the gorge

Booo, you whore!
If you dont like him, dont watch him. Its the simple. Dont ruin other peoples show because you didn't like ther performance.
Anyways, I loved Manu Chao. I was really surprised by his set. He was the 2nd biggest reason my girlfriend decided to go (next to Rage) and she had, coincidentaly, been getting me into him in months prior to the line up being announced. So I was expecting some laid back, chilaxin music, witha few upbeat tunes thrown in. Wow was I ever surprised. Great live show. I would love to see him again. The ONLY thing I did not like, was the bassist. He basically used the same bassline over and over again. Other than that, they rocked hard!
Also, Manu Chao doesnt only sing in Spanish and English, as most of the people in here probably know, But for those who dont, he also sing in french, gaelic, portugese and arabic.

merznerve
05-05-2007, 03:06 AM

yeah well i'm too lazy to check what anyone has said so far and i hate to reiterate but you suck. part of what makes manu chao so cool is that he uses the same riffs for pretty much every one of his songs which is way cooler than you think. that motherfucker is crazy and respected in the genre of non western music. his cds are relaxing, stupidly repetitive, reggae influenced latin songs that for some reason (blow) are at punk rock warp speed in his live set it's like a crazy roller coaster of latin music for crying outloud..

but you suck even more insinuating the people around you that are capable of enjoying their music are Mexicans WTF? with that racist mentality why are you even here? you do not have to understand any lyrics, chord progressions, drum patterns, etc. etc. to enjoy music. at the very least why didn't you go see something else ? there are 7+ simultaneous stages/things to see if you aren't digging a particular stage. waiting around to get a good spot for rage i suppose?

Ike OC
05-05-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm with the original poster.I heard the 1st song and was like "This is cool" but then every song was exactly the same bar one or two slower ones which were good.But 90% of the set was repitive and very annoying.The double tiome after a reggae intro,screaming solo from annoying guitarist,the bassist shouting "HEY HEY HEY HEY" all the time and lots of other similarities.Good energy but really fucking lame.But that's just my opinion.

Omar1
05-08-2007, 09:41 PM
Sound check

mBciJUneZjY