PDA

View Full Version : Why Ticketmaster?

funabration
04-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Goldenvoice has always struck me as one of the last honest concert promoters. In the world of the Clear Channel/Live Nation type promoters where a show might as well be an entry on a balance sheet, Goldenvoice seems like they genuinely care for the music and - above all - the fans. Why then do they continue to pair up with ticketmaster, who has shown time and time again that they care about everything BUT the fans?

With Coachella, Goldenvoice could make a real statement to ticketmaster by switching to another ticketing agency...one that doesn't feel the need to exploit fans with over-the-top service charges. By taking those 50,000 tickets a day somewhere else, Goldenvoice could give us concert-goers a real voice in the issue by hitting ticketmaster where it hurts most, their pocketbook.

Maybe i'm just bitter because i've spent enough in ticketmaster fees to put myself through grad school... What does everyone else think?

faxman75
04-25-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm in the minority here but I don't blame ticketmaster entirely. The price of tickets is negotiated between the artist and the venue. For instance the facility charge has nothing to do with ticketmaster and the convenience charge is also negotiate between the band and TM. They are a service provider and people are so used to them they dont' realize they are providing a service. You dont' have to leave your house and you dont' have to go all the way to the venue box office to get your tickets. You can get them online or at your local grocery store or department store that sells tickets. I think ticketmaster looks like the bad guy more often than not. Are they a monopoly? Yes! I isn't because there are no other ticket agencies though. Whenever I get tickets through smaller production companies or other outlest that sell tickets I don't see a defference in their charges, it's just calld processing fee or entertainment fee or whatever they want to call it.

Just my .02

meyouseek
04-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Goldenvoice promotes a ton of shows in the area and they probably don't want to bother handling the tickets for all of them. Ticketmaster has the infrastructure to take care of all those shows.

The companies' relationship would be strained if GV decided to screw TM by taking away Coachella revenue.

suprefan
04-25-2007, 01:03 PM
Goldenvoice has always struck me as one of the last honest concert promoters. In the world of the Clear Channel/Live Nation type promoters where a show might as well be an entry on a balance sheet, Goldenvoice seems like they genuinely care for the music and - above all - the fans. Why then do they continue to pair up with ticketmaster, who has shown time and time again that they care about everything BUT the fans?

With Coachella, Goldenvoice could make a real statement to ticketmaster by switching to another ticketing agency...one that doesn't feel the need to exploit fans with over-the-top service charges. By taking those 50,000 tickets a day somewhere else, Goldenvoice could give us concert-goers a real voice in the issue by hitting ticketmaster where it hurts most, their pocketbook.

Maybe i'm just bitter because i've spent enough in ticketmaster fees to put myself through grad school... What does everyone else think?

Obviously you missed the pre pre sale which had 3 day tickets for $199. That was GV's way of giving back to the fans this year. Ducatking is awesome and they will get bigger and be doing things for more shows soon I will tell you.