PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone reception

Sergio
04-25-2007, 05:58 AM
how is it?

jessabahx
04-25-2007, 06:01 AM
last year it absolutely sucked. i hope it's better this year because it was impossible for me to get in contact with the other members of my group without calling them like, 15 times before i could get through.

C DUB YA
04-25-2007, 07:11 AM
its terrible. Best plan is NOT to rely on them.

DogBisquit
04-25-2007, 07:14 AM
Text messaging seems to be the way to go, although I saw them putting up some temporary cell phone towers the other day.

C DUB YA
04-25-2007, 07:18 AM
even our texting was super delayed.

CrackTheLoveCode
04-25-2007, 07:18 AM
Yeah it's horrible. I could send texts but it didn't necessarily mean that people would receive them right away. If you're gonna stray away from your friends make sure you designate specific meeting spots just in case you can't get a hold of them.

TheGuvna
04-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Someone stated that a temporary tower was being built... can we can a confirmation on that PF?

I imagine that a temp tower would alleviate some of the network congestion.

psychic friend
04-25-2007, 08:43 AM
when you put together over 50,000 cell phones, the reception is going to suck.

:(

DogBisquit
04-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Someone stated that a temporary tower was being built... can we can a confirmation on that PF?

I imagine that a temp tower would alleviate some of the network congestion.

Confirmed. I drive by the site year round, on my way to work. 52nd and 48th have been under construction all year, so it's been 50th everyday.

You guys will love what they've done to the streets. The bridge on Jefferson just opened last week, to six lanes of freshly laid asphalt. Although, there's still the bottleneck at Parking. Speed limit on this street is 55MPH. Remember that, when you're stuck in traffic.

I originally posted, last Friday on the thread "Cell phones work @ coachella", about a cell tower. I took a picture, but GV frowns on that, and I know why. Anyway, there's three now, on Monroe before the vendor parking. I don't remember them being there last year (and I would). HOPEFULLY, there will be more capacity, because reception is generally pretty good in that area.

DogBisquit
04-25-2007, 08:19 PM
What I want to know about are the WiFi hotspots!

You could stop by RadioShack and pick-up a VOIP phone, then lean into camping, the media center, or the AT$T booth and make a call! No? But, then you'd both have to be leaning into a hotspot, at the same time, and find each other anyway.

IfYouSeeKay
04-25-2007, 09:33 PM
works like this... all cellphones are pushing for viable signals and your phone strains SO your battery runs down faster. What we do is shut our phones off and enjoy ourselves. :)
OR Turn your phone off and wait until the late afternoon and youll be fine... everyone elses phones will be struggling for the available signals BUT your phones signal will be stronger.
For the last 4 years I have only dropped 3 calls while there and texts were slow BUT not that slow.

DogBisquit
04-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Again...

It's not a matter of reception.
You can have all bars and nothing at the same time.

webfocus
04-01-2010, 07:04 AM
So far, mine's working fine for me. No major problems encountered.

kikeg80
04-01-2010, 08:11 AM
how is it?

get some hand radios

billtino
04-01-2010, 11:13 AM
this thread is so 3 yrs ago...

thagorillaz
04-01-2010, 12:43 PM
i just rock smoke signals
LOL DRUGZ

-tim

juloxx
04-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Smoke signals or meeting spots at certain times work.

Or you can tell all the people in your group to leave a trail of bread crumbs. It worked for me last year

thenoiboi
04-01-2010, 01:22 PM
So far, mine's working fine for me. No major problems encountered.

lolwut

scottdavid88
04-02-2010, 06:29 AM
Confirmed. I drive by the site year round, on my way to work. 52nd and 48th have been under construction all year, so it's been 50th everyday.

You guys will love what they've done to the streets. The bridge on Jefferson just opened last week, to six lanes of freshly laid asphalt. Although, there's still the bottleneck at Parking. Speed limit on this street is 55MPH. Remember that, when you're stuck in traffic.

I originally posted, last Friday on the thread "Cell phones work @ coachella", about a cell tower. I took a picture, but GV frowns on that, and I know why. Anyway, there's three now, on Monroe before the vendor parking. I don't remember them being there last year (and I would). HOPEFULLY, there will be more capacity, because reception is generally pretty good in that area.

Not sure about Coachella doing it, but most major festivals have cell phone towers added for them and have for years. Adding the temp towers could help if they didn't have them last year, but they probably did and just werent noticed...? I dunno..

Also, someone noted its not about reception. They're correct. You are likely to have full reception, but the congestion in the area is going to cause issues no matter how many towers they add... its just a fact of life. I have (believe it or not) had my phone call have other people's calls bleed over into mine because of the signal overlap. It was odd. Not like full conversations, but I could hear a couple times a word or two from another conversation. (This happened at Lollapalooza.)

Sonicifyouwantit
04-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Last year was a vast improvement in coverage...now if only I hadn't lost my phone at the filter magazine preparty.

lagirlwithstyle
04-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Expect delays in texts and crazy reception. If your phone runs out of juice, bring your charger and plug it into the charging tent at the venue. Last year I realized my texts were a good 5 minutes behind, so if you tell someone to meet you at a certain spot, stay there for a while.

Neighborhood Creep
04-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Anyone know if Blackberry messenger works faster? It always responds faster than a text outside of Coachella.

Rosemont17
04-08-2010, 06:10 AM
sometimes it works great, sometimes it doesnt.. just gotta go with it

BeeII
04-08-2010, 12:48 PM
not reliable