PDA

View Full Version : please help me understand...

blastyourears
04-23-2007, 03:00 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/04/23/dungeon.trial.ap/index.html

he says they had consensual sex with him... but they are 17 years old... they're not adults!!! they are children!

jackstraw94086
04-23-2007, 03:04 PM
age of consent is decided by the state. What is South Carolina's?

EDIT: turns out it's 16.

TomAz
04-23-2007, 03:07 PM
no way that guy is 48. he looks like he's 70.

vinylmartyr
04-23-2007, 03:08 PM
That happened 1/2 mile from where I am right now.

vinylmartyr
04-23-2007, 03:09 PM
I used to play in the woods right beside that place.

vinylmartyr
04-23-2007, 03:12 PM
no way that guy is 48. he looks like he's 70.

I think he is a meth head.

jackstraw94086
04-23-2007, 03:15 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/04/22/dungeon.trial.ap/index.html

"Is it true the only thing more carefully constructed than that underground dungeon was the story you told this jury yesterday?" prosecutor Jennifer Evans asked."

are you fucking kidding me?

kroqken
04-23-2007, 03:17 PM
There is some real sick shit out there in the world.

mob roulette
04-23-2007, 03:22 PM
are you fucking kidding me?

i had the same reaction but also to the mandatory life sentence. can't we just lethal inject people like this and get it over with? that's my oxygen he's breathing there. and i hardly get enough of it as it is. also mandatroy IQ tests for parents from now on. and licensing. too many goddamned lunatics walking around already. birth control you hicks. this whole thing is avoidable, i don't care what anybody says. police state my ass. put the both of us out of our misery already.

jackstraw94086
04-23-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure what to think about all that.

none of us have enough information to convict that guy, but something is very fishy with those girls' story if the defense could get this convicted child rapist aquitted. SC law prohibits releasing details about the accusors due to their age, but there's something about them that obviously didn't sit right with the jury.

vinylmartyr
04-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Our neighbor here is the Sheriff. If I see him in his yard before I head back to LA I will ask him.

mob roulette
04-23-2007, 03:33 PM
yeah, but there's something about the guy that doesn't sit right with ME. "no, i didn't rape those girls in my underground dungeon that i had four pounds of pot in, even though i did do a 12 year old a few years back. THESE two just came over to party with me, that's all" i mean, wtf? point taken, jack, but seriously, WTF? this guy's a lifetime loser and if he hasn't changed by this point, chances look bleak that he ever will. medicate him or put him down. i'm serious. it's enough. this shit happens all the time. "oh yeah, we arrested him on this, this, and this before, but we never thought he'd do THIS." it's retarded logic and a shitty way to run a criminal justice system to boot, if you ask me.

JustSteve
04-23-2007, 03:36 PM
i had the same reaction but also to the mandatory life sentence. can't we just lethal inject people like this and get it over with? that's my oxygen he's breathing there. and i hardly get enough of it as it is.

what if they used your logic on this guy...

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/dna-exonerates-man-who-served-25-years/20070423080609990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

this guy spent 25 years in prison, but was just acquitted due to new dna evidence...he had already been released from prison in 2006, but now his record will be clean, as well.

he is the 200th person exonerated due to dna evidence.

TomAz
04-23-2007, 03:41 PM
yeah, but there's something about the guy that doesn't sit right with ME. "no, i didn't rape those girls in my underground dungeon that i had four pounds of pot in, even though i did do a 12 year old a few years back. THESE two just came over to party with me, that's all" i mean, wtf? point taken, jack, but seriously, WTF? this guy's a lifetime loser and if he hasn't changed by this point, chances look bleak that he ever will. medicate him or put him down. i'm serious. it's enough. this shit happens all the time. "oh yeah, we arrested him on this, this, and this before, but we never thought he'd do THIS." it's retarded logic and a shitty way to run a criminal justice system to boot, if you ask me.

thus we see one drawback of "jury of your peers". you might get mob on your jury.

mob roulette
04-23-2007, 03:42 PM
what if they used your logic on this guy...

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/dna-exonerates-man-who-served-25-years/20070423080609990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

this guy spent 25 years in prison, but was just acquitted due to new dna evidence...

he is the 200th person exonerated due to dna evidence.

different situation entirely. mister dungeon master appears to obviously be a habitual offender who has been failed by the penal system. either give him treatment of some sort for REAL and truly address the issue or else pay the ultimate price when he's caught sodomizing canadian geese for blow. it's your choice, society. choose wisely.

fatbastard
04-23-2007, 03:44 PM
Mob would have my vote for foreman.

Hannahrain
04-23-2007, 03:44 PM
i had the same reaction but also to the mandatory life sentence. can't we just lethal inject people like this and get it over with?

Life without parole and execution should be the same sentence. If you have committed a crime heinous enough that you've been sentenced to lifetime imprisonment, you should be given the option of death.

jackstraw94086
04-23-2007, 03:45 PM

You can't try a man twice for the same crime. His prior conviction is not real evidence in the case he was just aquitted of. It may have been used by the prosecution to illustrate the guy's character, but it's not enough to convict him of anything he may be accused of in the future.

Apparently the jury was unsatisfied with the available evidence. His story stood up to scrutiny, the girls' story apparently didn't.

And I agree with Steve that ending a man's life (which I am not really a fan of in almost any situation) or even putting him in jail forever is something that should be handled more with more subtlety than "well isn't it obvious he's a creep?"

mob roulette
04-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Life without parole and execution should be the same sentence. If you have committed a crime heinous enough that you've been sentenced to lifetime imprisonment, you should be given the option of death.

look at hannah making sense. very vonnegut. +5.

You can't try a man twice for the same crime. His prior conviction is not real evidence in the case he was just aquitted of. It may have been used by the prosecution to illustrate the guy's character, but it's not enough to convict him of anything he may be accused of in the future.

Apparently the jury was unsatisfied with the available evidence. His story stood up to scrutiny, the girls' story apparently didn't.

And I agree with Steve that ending a man's life (which I am not really a fan of in almost any situation) or even putting him in jail forever is something that should be handled more with more subtlety than "well isn't it obvious he's a creep?"

well put. but i'm not talking about profiling based on character alone. i'm talking about his actions. i think we may have had a version of this argument before but i will offer a hypothetical statement anyway. the unabomber gets freed on a technicality. he slips probation and goes back underground. then one morning you wake up and he's raped mount mccabe. who has failed who here? i mean really.

TomAz
04-23-2007, 04:09 PM
this guy was not freed 'on a technicality'. he was found not guilty in a jury trial.

jackstraw94086
04-23-2007, 04:13 PM
look at hannah making sense. very vonnegut. +5.

well put. but i'm not talking about profiling based on character alone. i'm talking about his actions. i think we may have had a version of this argument before but i will offer a hypothetical statement anyway. the unabomber gets freed on a technicality. he slips probation and goes back underground. then one morning you wake up and he's raped mount mccabe. who has failed who here? i mean really.

That technicality (in your scenario, not the SC guy's) that the "accused" rapist escaped on was likely put in place to protect the innocent. In your scenario mountmccabe got raped by someone who 12 peers could not accept as being guilty based on evidence. I'm willing to let mountmccabe get raped a few times to prevent far more innocent folks from being falsely imprisoned.

thefunkylama
04-23-2007, 04:20 PM
Well I'd feel really bad for John.

mob roulette
04-23-2007, 04:22 PM
this guy was not freed 'on a technicality'. he was found not guilty in a jury trial.

i'm talking about the original charge, tom, not this one. he may very well be innocent of this one. i agree that the story doesn't add up. the part that is worrisome to me is in the DETAILS of this man's history. the rape of the 12 year old, the underground bunker filled with drugs (behind his TRAILER, no less), the unregistered firearm, the "consensual" sex of a 48 year old man with two 17 year old girls. i mean call me a bigot, but taken together, this doesn't paint the prettiest of pictures. i think this person is a danger to society and should be dealt with as such. don't let him out again. better still, IDENTIFY his psychological problem and TREAT IT AS SUCH. otherwise you're just setting us all up for more of the same. true? this person is currently not a functioning member of society and i'm just not sure that long term imprisonment is the answer here.

jackstraw94086
04-23-2007, 04:24 PM
people like him may consider people like you a danger to their society.

Alchemy
04-23-2007, 04:29 PM
I'd put that guy away just for being creepy.

mob roulette
04-23-2007, 04:32 PM
people like him may consider people like you a danger to their society.

okay. but i pay taxes to house and clothe and feed people like him. a lot of taxes actually. that to me is the difference. that's why i should have the power to help decide what happens to people like him. i should be in a position of authority over his life simply because he has decided not to take it upon himself to be responsible for his own actions. and so should you. and so should every other productive member of society. in the end, he's really left it up to us, hasn't he? and i actually think that i am being quite humane in suggesting that forced psychiatric treatment would be the more viable option here, rather than a broken prison system which is doing nothing to deter repeat offenders such as mr. hinson. for all we know, it might actively be ENCOURAGING it.

also sorry john. you were just a convenient analogy here. my deepest apologies.

TomAz
04-23-2007, 04:36 PM
i'm talking about the original charge, tom, not this one. he may very well be innocent of this one. i agree that the story doesn't add up. the part that is worrisome to me is in the DETAILS of this man's history. the rape of the 12 year old, the underground bunker filled with drugs (behind his TRAILER, no less), the unregistered firearm, the "consensual" sex of a 48 year old man with two 17 year old girls. i mean call me a bigot, but taken together, this doesn't paint the prettiest of pictures. i think this person is a danger to society and should be dealt with as such. don't let him out again. better still, IDENTIFY his psychological problem and TREAT IT AS SUCH. otherwise you're just setting us all up for more of the same. true? this person is currently not a functioning member of society and i'm just not sure that long term imprisonment is the answer here.

so you're against life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

"the rape of the 12 year old" - I presume he has served his time for this

"drugs" - if that's grounds arrest 57% of the people on this message board

"TRAILER" - ha ha.

"unregistered firearm" - does South Carolina require handgun registration? they don't seem the type, frankly.

"sex with 17 year olds" - as Jack pointed out, age of consent varies from state to state; a quick google search showed that in South Carolina it's age 14 for females, 16 for males.

fortunately, some parts of the American democracy still function, and it's not yet a crime just to be creepy.

jackstraw94086
04-23-2007, 04:38 PM
okay. but i pay taxes to house and clothe and feed people like him. a lot of taxes actually. that to me is the difference. that's why i should have the power to help decide what happens to people like him. i should be in a position of authority over his life simply because he has decided not to take it upon himself to be responsible for his own actions. and so should you. and so should every other productive member of society. in the end, he's really left it up to us, hasn't he? and i actually think that i am being quite humane in suggesting that forced psychiatric treatment would be the more viable option here, rather than a broken prison system which is doing nothing to deter repeat offenders such as mr. hinson. for all we know, it might actively be ENCOURAGING it.

also sorry john. you were just a convenient analogy here. my deepest apologies.

I'm not sure I see how he hasn't taken responsibility for his actions. He was convicted for the child rape. He's apparently paid whatever debt to society the court felt was appropriate. I don't think anyone is suggesting that this guy is going to get away with the drug and weapons charges. He's only been aquitted of the sexual assault and kidnapping.

And you just called him a repeat offender. He's is by strict terms NOT a repeat offender. He was aquitted.

Alchemy
04-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Oh it will be a crime, Tom. I'll run for president if I have to.

And once I'm in, the so-called Merle person with the pump (the one looking for milk) is going first as an example to the seriousness of my regime.

vinylmartyr
04-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Everyone around here lives in a trailer and has a underground rape/drug bunker.

vinylmartyr
04-23-2007, 04:52 PM
When we can't have sex with a relative a minor is the next best thing

vinylmartyr
04-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Here is a giant pic of my neighbor cruising on his golf cart to his drug/sex bunker.

http://i13.tinypic.com/3z0wylh.jpg

crazzz2007
04-23-2007, 04:56 PM
different situation entirely. mister dungeon master appears to obviously be a habitual offender who has been failed by the penal system. either give him treatment of some sort for REAL and truly address the issue or else pay the ultimate price when he's caught sodomizing canadian geese for blow. it's your choice, society. choose wisely.

you sound like a fucking dictator. you would make hitler proud.

how is this guy "obviously a habitual offender"? Because of one [1] convicion? I had no idea that "one" meant "habitual." You are a dumbass.

mob roulette
04-23-2007, 04:57 PM
so you're against life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

"the rape of the 12 year old" - I presume he has served his time for this

"drugs" - if that's grounds arrest 57% of the people on this message board

"TRAILER" - ha ha.

"unregistered firearm" - does South Carolina require handgun registration? they don't seem the type, frankly.

"sex with 17 year olds" - as Jack pointed out, age of consent varies from state to state; a quick google search showed that in South Carolina it's age 14 for females, 16 for males.

fortunately, some parts of the American democracy still function, and it's not yet a crime just to be creepy.

oh my god, you know better than this. it wasn't a joint, tom, or a little bit of blow. it was four pounds with the obvious intent to distribute. he said himself that the girls were after his product. and so what if the age of consent is 14? does that mean you want a 46 year old convicted felon having sex with her? would you say the same thing if this happened anywhere else but ass backwards south carolina? he should know better and so should you. better still, there should be better safeguards in place to protect young girls against things like this, as discussed.

I'm not sure I see how he hasn't taken responsibility for his actions. He was convicted for the child rape. He's apparently paid whatever debt to society the court felt was appropriate. I don't think anyone is suggesting that this guy is going to get away with the drug and weapons charges. He's only been aquitted of the sexual assault and kidnapping.

And you just called him a repeat offender. He's is by strict terms NOT a repeat offender. He was aquitted.

okay, habitual offender then. sorry. rape and drugs and firearms. creepy sex with young girls that i imagine would be considered statutory rape in most states. red flag? DING DING DING. houston, we have a problem here. and it's an obvious one. but hey, free country, right? bring your daughters over to this guy's neighborhood. it's obviously a wonderful place to raise kids in.

vinylmartyr
04-23-2007, 04:59 PM
I GREW UP HERE ITS MY HOMETOWN!!! THE ABOVE PIC IS HIS NEIGHBORHOOD!!!

Hannahrain
04-23-2007, 05:00 PM
you sound like a fucking dictator. you would make hitler proud.

I agree 100%. Having no sympathy for a pedophile is exactly the same as mass genocide. Mob, you suck. Here we come with torches and et cetera.

vinylmartyr
04-23-2007, 05:01 PM
There are crazy people everywhere. When I get back to LA tomorrow I will take some pics of far scarier places.