PDA

View Full Version : Crowded House!! Who is as excited as I am?!!

Badkat68
01-24-2007, 11:15 AM
One of the best bands ever... never thought they'd ever reform...(won't be the same, of course, without Paul... and that does add, a good amount of sadness to it) ... but I'm just so happy to be able to see them again playing their awsome music!!

-would love to hear from other 'House' fans going! :)

M Sparks
01-24-2007, 11:29 AM
I saw them on the Woodface tour when Tim was in the band...great show. I'm not really a fan past their first couple albums, but they are definitely great showman.

Badkat68
01-24-2007, 11:47 AM
yeah... on that tour... they actually kinda kicked Tim out half way through... lol... that ('Woodface') was their 3rd album though (a brilliant one) ...and they really only had one more studio album after that... ('Together Alone') ...which was good, but not as great as the previous 3 ... the following was a greatest hits with some other previously un-released singles... and then ... it was no more... (Tim and Neil did Finn Brothers shortly after that.)

lisa pea
01-24-2007, 12:37 PM
I wasn't expecting these guys to play at all, but it is truly a pleasant surprise...

amyzzz
01-24-2007, 12:40 PM
We're planning a Crowded House singalong in the Coachella Lounge. Love, love, LOVE this band. And they're really great and FUNNY live.

Yablonowitz
01-24-2007, 12:51 PM
('Together Alone') ...which was good, but not as great as the previous 3

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Together Alone is my favorite of the four...they turned their happy pop sound dark.

We should keep quiet, though. If the Rage fans on this board find us, they will kill us.

The Nichole
01-24-2007, 01:17 PM
I thought they were a one hit wonder? Actually, i want to see their set, i am curious!

Philthy
01-24-2007, 03:49 PM
I LOVE Crowded House. I've seen Neil & Tim Finn do a few shows before, and they've done some of the classics like 4 seasons in 1 day, It's only Natural, Weather with you and Fall at your Feet, but I've never seen Crowded House.

I can't wait to see them!!!

Let's all meet up and sing along!

woogie846
01-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Crowded House seems like a very sing a longish band.

hawkingvsreeve
01-24-2007, 03:57 PM
HEY NOW HEYYYYYY NOW

M Sparks
01-24-2007, 04:12 PM
I thought they were a one hit wonder? Actually, i want to see their set, i am curious!

Eh...four or five hits at least. Plus some Split Enz hits...it'd be cool if they do a few.

I was not a big fan until I saw them live. I liked Split Enz, and I thought CH's first album was OK, but I only saw them because they were at a festival 15 years ago. (Oddly, pre-headlining for the Meat Puppets.)

They are just plain fun

dextraur
01-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Together Alone is my favorite of the four...they turned their happy pop sound dark.

We should keep quiet, though. If the Rage fans on this board find us, they will kill us.

I'm so excited about this chance to see CH live! I'm mostly into hard rocking bands (especially Rage!)... and this is one band that fits the what's-wrong-with-this-picture when seeing their CDs among all the rest in my collection. I know this is gonna sound corny?!, but there's something about Neil's voice that is soothing, almost spiritual. I've read everywhere including Frenz.com how great and entertaining they are live... it's gonna be great.

Although I doubt they'll play it, I want to hear I Feel Possessed. And, Private Universe.

shoveitupmytoolbox
01-24-2007, 05:18 PM
can't wait totally unexpected and should be brill!

bmack86
01-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Brill? Brill building?

amyzzz
01-24-2007, 05:24 PM

I don't know about that. My favorite album of theirs, Temple of Low Men, is pretty dark too. Beautiful, wonderful album. I can't wait!

dallascoachella
01-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Crowded House is the reason I'm considering coming all the way from Texas to this festival. Bjork and Jarvis Cocker are great, too, but Crowded House has got to be one of the most underrated bands ever. It's a shame they never reached the same level of success in America as they did in pretty much every other part of the English-Speaking world.

Yablonowitz
01-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Cool, I thought people'd be bitching about Crowded House on the lineup. They are one of my must-sees, close to the top.

bballarl
01-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Same.

Badkat68
01-25-2007, 01:28 PM
so cool to see everyone's love of the band here... and 'yes'... I need to back up on my statement on the 'Together Alone' album... the great songs that are strong on there are AWSOME... I LOVE 'Distant Sun' , 'Locked Out', and 'Private Universe' ...it was just that phase in the band's career...where you could hear some of the music on that album being slightly reminiscent/derivative of songs on their past albums... and also because...'Woodface' was such a 'peak' album for them, creatively.
And I agree with who said 'Temple' is one of their darkest albums... it is... and it's also amazing and probably one of my favs.... ('Better be Home Soon'...I mean... come on!!!)
And then - of course, you have 'Woodface'... which as a whole album..is phenomenol... that whole tour was fantastic... I was lucky to see them 4x on that tour (twice with Tim...twice witohut)... those of you who'll this will be your first time seeing them...you're gonna truly love them. It will be bittersweet without Paul... but - no doubt - Neil and Nick will pay/play tribute to him. (and 'yes'...let's definitely all connect beforehand to meet up and have our 'sing-a-long there!! :) )

proudpom
01-25-2007, 02:43 PM
This is the most exciting news I could possibly have heard!!!!! Brilliant. I saw the Finn Bros. in 2005 and they're good as ever.

By the way, here's the official website (http://www.farewelltotheworld.com). It's got a new Neil interview on it.

I hope CH gets a good time slot!

Badkat68
01-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks for that link, proudpom... SO cool to see! They were the most influential band for me... as far as my writing goes... years later now as an 'adult'... so great to get to see them again

NoGwenPlease
01-25-2007, 03:08 PM
what was their one hit?

woogie846
01-25-2007, 06:41 PM
In my opinion, they're one of the best pop bands ever. Don't Dream It's Over is wonderfully written.

idrive1life
01-25-2007, 06:57 PM
How would I start with Crowded House? Which albums/songs?

I reactivated my yourmusic subscription. They only have their best of collections like Classic Matter (2003) and The Very Best of Crowded House (1996).

The Very Best is in my queue now.

dallascoachella
01-25-2007, 07:21 PM
Recurring Dream - The Very Best of - is a great place to start. There are four songs from each of the band's proper albums, plus a couple of new tracks. If you like some of there stuff, you will probably like all of it. Once you get that CD then the field is open IMHO. I can't say there's a single album I like more or less than the others. I hold them all in high regard.

One of my personal favorites in the entire Neil Finn canon is his solo debut Try Whistling This.

I'm very, very anxious to hear what the new album is going to sound like. He's never disappointed me...

Boourns
01-25-2007, 07:32 PM
what was their one hit?

"Don't Dream It's Over"...but apparently they had more overseas. It's funny that every "one hit on the pop rock station years ago" band has people swearing their whole catalogue is good, but that can only be true for so many bands. People say that about Fountains of Wayne and Nickelback, lolz. How many of the people creaming over Crowded House ever bothered to mention their music or a desire for a reuinion on this messageboard before their name was listed in the LA Times? Zero. It takes a reunion to bring out the fandom in people, I guess. That's true for every music forum I've ever posted on, actually.

Alchemy
01-25-2007, 07:34 PM
You know that is true. I never would have asked for a Crowded House reunion. I didn't even recognize them till I heard their hit. The only reunions I wanted were Blur, Pulp, and Suede.

idrive1life
01-25-2007, 07:38 PM
How many of the people creaming over Crowded House ever bothered to mention their music or a desire for a reuinion on this messageboard before their name was listed in the LA Times? Zero. It takes a reunion to bring out the fandom in people, I guess. That's true for every music forum I've ever posted on, actually.

LOL

Happy for people who are so blown away by Crowded House's Coachella inclusion/reunion. ;) I have to order one of their CDs and join the bandwagon ... oopps, the bitching just started ... oh well, I'm not bitching ... "I'm so excited!" and curious! ;)

Yablonowitz
01-25-2007, 09:46 PM
"Don't Dream It's Over"...but apparently they had more overseas. It's funny that every "one hit on the pop rock station years ago" band has people swearing their whole catalogue is good, but that can only be true for so many bands. People say that about Fountains of Wayne and Nickelback, lolz. How many of the people creaming over Crowded House ever bothered to mention their music or a desire for a reuinion on this messageboard before their name was listed in the LA Times? Zero. It takes a reunion to bring out the fandom in people, I guess. That's true for every music forum I've ever posted on, actually.

You are a perpetual windbag of snobbishness, do you have any idea how insufferable it is to read your massive, slobbery pretentious shit? People weren't calling for a Crowded House reunion because their drummer committed suicide in 2005 and they hadn't played in years. And "Don't Dream It's Over" is not one of their best songs by a mile. I sung the praises of CH on the board this past summer and posted a mix of their stuff...I didn't have a clue they'd re-form. I've had all four of their albums for years and all four of them are solid. In fact, they kept getting better. How much have you heard? From all I can tell, you've heard one fucking song and it violated your snobbish indie prickster ears so much you consider youself in a position to slam them? Just because they don't pop up on Pitchfork doesn't mean they don't have a solid back catalog.

buddy
01-25-2007, 09:54 PM
this reminds me of the old board. good times.

Badkat68
01-26-2007, 01:06 AM

ummm... since you're 25 ...you're obviously showing your age... regarding what you know (and don't) ... I was 18 in 1986 the first time I heard Crowded House.. and have been the hugest fan ever since. They had a huge musical impact on me. (still do.) Let's see... in 1986...you were... ummm... like 4? And then in '91 they toured for 'Woodface'... (supposedly after their "big one hit")... and yet the four times I saw them on that tour that year (2x at The Wiltern , once at Universal, once at Ventura.. 'oh'.. and also a 5th time at the 'Woodface' listening party at the Capitol Records parking lot) :) ... each show was sold out... and you were like... 9 back then... quite the music aficionado and expert then, I presume. And so your memory and experience of who and what Crowded House really is and are is just SO spot-on.

Since they've broken up... and since we've seen such a huge lack of great pop/rock bands who've had such an emphasis on great melody and lyrics in their music that past years (coming anywhere NEAR to the degree of what Crowded House's music contained and showcased on THAT level) ... I, myself, have ALWAYS hoped for a reunion ... expressing it to fellow music fans, friends, etc. Their CDs have never left my car... nor are outta my Ipod... THUS ... I don't need an LA Times article or any other kind of media hoopla to tell me what to think, musically or otherwise (especially when it comes to something I'm quite passionate about.) Your lack of what you don't really know is obvious... and ... well... undermines those of your generation who sincerely DO have a REAL musical knowlege AND -MORE IMPORTANTLY- AN APPRECIATION FOR what came before their time ... AND understanding how much of what current acts/music is hyped-over today... (some of which, I'm sure, you 'cream' over yourself) ... many of these highly-saluted and/or over-hyped bands today often being simply derivative of more original, and better predecesors.

idrive1life
01-26-2007, 02:58 AM
Interesting facts ... ? (fictions?) ;)

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=2264

Don't Dream It's Over by Crowded House
Album: Crowded House
Date: 1987
U.S. Chart: 2
U.K. Chart: 27

Crowded House's biggest hit in the US, this peaked at #2 on the Billboard singles chart. (thanks, Jordan - North Bend, WA, for above 2)
The group was from New Zealand, where they were very popular. This was their first album, which did very well in the US. Subsequently released albums had success in the UK, but not in the states.

http://www.artistfacts.com/getArtistfacts.php?combinedartists=Crowded+House

Artistfacts:

Neil Finn and Hester started the band after playing together as a part of the New Zealand band Split Enz.
Bass player Nick Seymour did the cover art for all the band's albums.
Originally calling themselves the Mullanes (from Neil's middle name, Mullane), the name Crowded House was coined while they were recording their first album and living in a tiny (crowded) house in LA.
Despite two singles from their first album charting in the US ("Don't Dream it's Over" and "Something So Strong"), and repeated praise from music critics, they never achieved very good album sales in the states.
Front man Neil Finn has performed with and written songs for several higher profile artists, including Eddie Vedder, Sheryl Crow, and Sebastian Bach.
Hester left the band a month before the end of their "Together Alone" tour in 1994. Two years later, after releasing their greatest hits compilation Recurring Dream, Neil Finn officially announced the breakup of the band. They have occasionally reunited for one-night-only shows, including their huge "Farewell to the World" concert at the Sydney Opera House.

part of allmusic's take:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:bxcm965o3epc~T1

An institution in their homeland, a two-hit wonder in the U.S., and, during the last half of their ten-year career, bona fide stars in the U.K. and most of Europe, Crowded House recorded some of the best pop music of the late '80s and early '90s. Leader Neil Finn's carefully crafted songs, meticulous eye for lyrical detail, and gift for melody are matched by few other songwriters.

Crowded House's self-titled debut didn't gain much attention upon its release in the summer of 1986, due to insufficient promotion from Capitol Records. In wake of the weak support from Capitol, the bandmembers took matters into their own hands. Rather than setting out on an expensive large-scale tour, the group took a more low-profile route, playing acoustic sets for industry insiders and for small crowds at ethnic restaurants and in record stores. This unorthodox approach began a buzz within the industry. On the talk-show circuit, they won over American and Canadian audiences with their charm and wit as well as their wacky antics. By February of 1987, the album broke into the American Top 40, eventually peaking at number 12. The album spawned the number two hit single "Don't Dream It's Over" and "Something So Strong," which reached number seven. In Australia and New Zealand, multi-platinum success followed.

Released in 1988, Temple of Low Men was anything but a sophomore slump -- Finn's new songs were among his finest, showcasing a notable progression in his songcraft. The album's slightly darker material, however, made for a more difficult listen and, although the material was stronger, the record lacked the immediate appeal of the debut. This, coupled with Capitol's lack of promotional support, led to disappointing sales -- the album barely broke the U.S. Top 40 and the single, "Better Be Home Soon," stalled at number 42. ...

Late in 1989, Neil reunited with his brother Tim and the duo began writing songs together for the first time, with the intention of releasing the material on a proposed Finn Brothers album. The collaboration was successful and the duo was prolific, writing 14 songs in a very short time. ...

Crowded House's third album, Woodface, released in the summer of 1991, proved the decision to combine the material from the two scrapped records was sound -- the album certainly represents their finest recorded moments. Although the choice of "Chocolate Cake" as a leadoff single was both misleading and off-putting to American audiences, effectively sinking the album's chances of success in the U.S., England and Europe embraced the band for the first time. After about six months of dormancy, they began charting in the U.K. and Europe with several singles, including the smash "Weather with You." The British success of "Weather with You" helped Woodface achieve platinum status in the U.K. and led the group to several headlining concerts at Wembley Arena. ... Following the success of Woodface, both Neil and Tim were awarded OBEs from the Queen of England in 1993; the honor was bestowed for their contributions to the arts.

dallascoachella
01-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Of course it's usually best to ignore idiotic posts like the one we are all responding to, but I just had to say I didn't even start posting on this board until I found out Crowded House was in the line-up this year. I've never been to Coachella, but considering this reunion is taking place and there are a few other acts that would make the trip worth it I want to go. (Bjork, Jarvis, TGTBTQ, Air)

I guess we better all mention other reunions we'd like to see now because if we mention them after they are announced we might be called hypocrites. :rolleyes

The only other band I would like to see get back together is Talking Heads and it's never going to happen and if it did David Byrne wouldn't really be into it so it's probably best that it never does happen.

Alchemy
01-26-2007, 07:32 AM
Crowded House is a cool renuion, but I am too young to know who the hell they are I guess. I always thought they were one of those "one-hit wonders". I blame VH1 and MTV for that. I just downloaded a live album and I suppose a greatest hits of them. I have yet to really listen to it in depth, so I am not yet excited to see them... I feel that the reunions of this year are The Jesus and Mary Chain and Happy Mondays... Rage is alright...

But... Rage and JAMC were definatly among the wish lists of reunions. Not too many people thought Crowded House would do one, which makes it a pleasant suprise for those people. I want to be pleasantly suprised. Somebody shed some light on me. I want to crowd the house too, but I don't think the greatest hits album is doing any justice. At least not yet.

dallascoachella
01-26-2007, 07:42 AM
If you have access to VH1 Classics, they have been showing an edited version of their live DVD "Farewell to the World" on the "Classics in Concert" program recently. It captures their energy on stage in front of over 120,000 people gathered in front of the Sydney Opera House for their "Farewell" concert back in 1996.

Crowded House is definitely Neil Finn's most popular band, but he's also been in Split Enz and another band with his brother Tim simply called the Finn Brothers.

If you are are familiar with Paul Weller he sort of reminds me of him - not so much in style but the fact that they have been in several different bands and at the same time were much more popular over seas.

fober
01-26-2007, 08:10 AM
The target audience for a Crowded House reunion is 40 years old right now.

ghettojournalist
01-26-2007, 08:31 AM
doesn't this reunion sort of take this piss out of their "farewell" show being hawked on dvd?
i understand the loss, but being technical.

dallascoachella
01-26-2007, 08:44 AM
If I understand things correctly, Neil started working with Nick Seymour after Paul Hester's suicide because it helped them cope with the loss of their dear freind and former band mate. Apparantely they were going to tour together behind their new album regardless of what name they played under. I imagine the label had a hand in encouraging them to tour under the name Crowded House. Even during their original incarnation Hester actually left the group for a while and they still continued on as Crowded House. This could sort of be viewed as a tribute to Hester and his spirit and memory which reportedly filled the entire sessions for Neil and Nick's new album.

M Sparks
01-26-2007, 09:23 AM
The target audience for a Crowded House reunion is 40 years old right now.

Jesus & Mary Chain's career- 1984-1998
Crowded House's career- 1986-1996

I personally discovered them both around the same time, at age 17. I'm 35 now.

So why are JAMC considered "legit" for Coachella and Crowded House isn't? Because Crowded House had a couple pop hits and JAMC didn't? Because they're "louder"?

I'd be willing to bet that in the late 80's, "Something So Strong" got spun on alt-radio just about as often as "Head On".

Yablonowitz
01-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I'm 35 too and I hadn't even heard of Jesus and Mary Chain until bands like The Raveonettes and BRMC started coping their sound and critics were pointing it out. I'm glad I've discovered them now and am grateful for a chance to get to see them, call that bandwagon hopping, but not Crowded House. I was on top o' that shit from the get go.

full on idle
01-26-2007, 09:33 AM
*ding* Ladies footwear, floor two

J~$$$
01-26-2007, 09:36 AM
tee-hee.

ficklecycle
01-26-2007, 09:54 AM
I saw a farewell concert on VH1 classic for Crowded House once.

Badkat68
01-26-2007, 10:37 AM
well... all I can say is... for those of us here who 'get it' and are pumped about the 'House' ... it's definitely good to know and share in the comraderie... hope to all meet and sing with you there then! Peace!

Yablonowitz
01-26-2007, 10:39 AM
*ding* Ladies footwear, floor two

You so hardcore.

dallascoachella
01-28-2007, 07:53 AM
well... all I can say is... for those of us here who 'get it' and are pumped about the 'House' ... it's definitely good to know and share in the comraderie... hope to all meet and sing with you there then! Peace!

Same here. As for those who think Crowded House is just "another '80s band" it's their loss. Neil Finn is one of the most talented songwriters of the past 25 years. I guess if you don't sound like you are screaming at people and play loud just to be heard then you aren't a great band...:rolleyes

Badkat68
01-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Hey Dallas... stay in touch.. and we'll defintely see you there!! :)

Best, Matt

kamikaze
10-30-2007, 09:44 AM
The stranger I was with during their set explained to me later that we had to leave their set early because the video screens were melting and he was frightened that we would surely be killed.

Somewhat Damaged
10-30-2007, 09:54 AM
Hey, that was me! Man, that was a bad trip...

amyzzz
10-30-2007, 01:30 PM
I started tripping during CH too....in preparation for AIR.

gaypalmsprings
10-30-2007, 03:05 PM
CH sucked. The worst performance at Coachella 2007. Hands down,

amyzzz
10-30-2007, 03:12 PM
I thought they were pretty good. I should've gone to see them in Phoenix though. Rage fans were annoying.

MarkO
11-24-2007, 07:29 AM
CH sucked. The worst performance at Coachella 2007. Hands down,

You didn't see the Happy Mondays 'perform' then I take it.

brando4n82
11-24-2007, 08:46 AM

that's too bad nobody got into Happy Mondays. I'm sure it wasnt one of their prime performances, but I had a blast! that tent was sooo empty. plenty of room to groove.

sacleonard
11-24-2007, 11:18 AM

Crowded House was pretty good, despite getting pelted with numerous items from the anxious RATM crowd.

Oh, and BTW, Happy Mondays... worst performance, hands down. That was an embarrassment.

MarkO
11-24-2007, 01:02 PM
that's too bad nobody got into Happy Mondays. I'm sure it wasnt one of their prime performances, but I had a blast! that tent was sooo empty. plenty of room to groove.

How could anyone 'get into' the Mondays when the damn singer couldn't remember the lyrics ? The drummer was >< cloe to walking off the stage or kicking Shaun's head in. I was 4 or 5 rows from the barrier. I waited 16yrs to see this band and it was pathetic. I missed Teddybears and/or a decent spot for Rage for that sham.

Botrocker
12-06-2007, 03:36 PM
The stranger I was with during their set explained to me later that we had to leave their set early because the video screens were melting and he was frightened that we would surely be killed.

hahahaha

Obstacle3
12-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Im 25 and Australian so my perception of crowded house will be different to the average americans, but they are an absolute powerhouse. There are few bands that can claim to have a back catalogue as consistently amazing as crowded house. They are no one hit wonders. Maybe by american "commercial" standards, but there back catalogue is absolutely full of gems.