PDA

View Full Version : i have celiac, can i bring my food?

cake skank
04-22-2007, 08:51 PM
me and my friends are part of a celiac youth group and we can never be too careful. we are highly allergic to food basically and need to eat all three days obviously, but can we bring in our special foods? (shared cooking utensils, wayyyyy to many grain ingredients we cant have and also things like sauces and spices can contain stomache-pump worthy effects.)

WE CAN BRING IN FOOD RIGHT?
DO WE NEED VERIFICATION ON A DOCUMENT OR SOMETHING?
we really dont wanna die??

help??

ashtraygrl
04-22-2007, 09:04 PM
i read something in the faq about being able to check in medicine and etc with doctor verification. i assume that if you bring some sort of proof, it should be ok. i don't think they would refuse you that.

cake skank
04-22-2007, 09:16 PM
ok do we do that when they check our bags? or is there another place that it says to go to, we just want to brinng in our food we dont need medication...unless... : /

Sameer
04-22-2007, 09:54 PM
I also have Celiac. I'm at a loss for what to do for food.

I'm bringing nuts and dried fruit for 4 days but I think that will kill be just as quick.

Please help. They should have provisions for this. If 1 in 200 people have celiac, there's gonna be a shit load of people there with the same problem.
We should be allowed gluten free foods/cooking gear, as most gluten free items can't be eaten without being cooked.

cake skank
04-23-2007, 03:23 PM
I also have Celiac. I'm at a loss for what to do for food.

I'm bringing nuts and dried fruit for 4 days but I think that will kill be just as quick.

Please help. They should have provisions for this. If 1 in 200 people have celiac, there's gonna be a shit load of people there with the same problem.
We should be allowed gluten free foods/cooking gear, as most gluten free items can't be eaten without being cooked.

haha seriously. and i am poor as it is so even if they have like fruit stands and stuff, i wont be able to afford it. i dont know what to do stilllll how do we make this post more important as it is just being swept to the bottom.

Sameer
04-23-2007, 05:23 PM
Well bring a cooler, hit a grocery store beforehand. Buy whatever GF stuff you can.

Make sure you get your:
-vitamins, but eat along with some fat and protein as some vitamins are only fat soluable.

ie. fruit, nuts and milk would be an ideal combination and a healthy meal.

there should be lots of juices and random stuff around. Check the local food area for a fry stand. Most are unbattered and only serve fries so there's no risk of cross contamination. Just don't eat too much. Apparently there's some sort of restaurant. Be polite, explain your situation and see if they'll cook you something separate, and pan fry you some food.

you can bring whatever food you want. So pack some pre-toasted sandwiches or something like that. At least you'll have something!

Good luck!

Email me or PM me. We could meet up at some point too to see how things are going.

fatbastard
04-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Hmmm. I had no idea.

Celiac disease, also known as gluten intolerance, is a genetic disorder that affects 1 in 1331 Americans. Symptoms of celiac disease can range from the classic features, such as diarrhea, weight loss, and malnutrition, to latent symptoms such as isolated nutrient deficiencies but no gastrointestinal symptoms. The disease mostly affects people of European (especially Northern European) descent, but recent studies show that it also affects Hispanic, Black and Asian populations as well1. Those affected suffer damage to the villi (shortening and villous flattening) in the lamina propria and crypt regions of their intestines when they eat specific food-grain antigens (toxic amino acid sequences) that are found in wheat, rye, and barley3. Oats have traditionally been considered to be toxic to celiacs, but recent scientific studies have shown otherwise.

Sameer
04-23-2007, 06:08 PM
It's estimated to be a fair bit higher. I guess undiagnosed don't count. It's higher in certain areas. I lived in cork last year and it was 1 in 50, as there's a strong genetic component. Everywhere I went had a celiac menu!

Oslo has GF mcdonalds!

whatever
04-23-2007, 07:29 PM
ddddd